Goddard

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Goddard

I hear his body language is poor and he doesn't look happy. (I haven't been to a match this season due to changed work commitments and won't watch replays unless we win ... life's too short).

I also hear he played for a period at full back yesterday and wonder whether our best attacking player should really be playing a negative stopping role.

Why not plonk him at chf or ff for a few weeks and see what happens. It's not as if we've got a lot to lose the way the season is unfolding.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Everytime he went To Watson - Watson went to FF.

BJ followed.

Tactically it was a fail for us.

Richter
SS Life Member

I heard Terry Wallet discussing BJ on SEN on the way home. His suggestion was to put him back to the half back line 'where he made his name'. Not a bad idea IMO.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Expect Goddard to be playing at another club in the not-too-distant-future. Now that the oxygen has rushed out of the bubble expect the clash of personalities to begin starting with Roo and Goddard.

Goddard would see himself as a captain and that aint going to happen at the Saints.

If he keeps sulking on the field like he obviously it then lets give him a golden hand shake now.

Richter
SS Life Member

Surely it would be better for RL to try to manage the situation to prevent BJ from leaving?

I agree that it is a risk that he will go elsewhere - as it is for a number of our players - but IMO if he goes then a 'rejig' would be highly unlikely and a full rebuild much more the go. What then the future careers of Dal, Joey, Roo etc?

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:Surely it would be better for RL to try to manage the situation to prevent BJ from leaving?

I agree that it is a risk that he will go elsewhere - as it is for a number of our players - but IMO if he goes then a 'rejig' would be highly unlikely and a full rebuild much more the go. What then the future careers of Dal, Joey, Roo etc?
Nup! If you have to be convinced to stay then leave. If you want the coach to grovel then that should be an automatic show of the door. The club has made huge in-roads with its professionalism in the past decade and pandering to the precious few would be an undoing of all that good work.
Goddard to me has always been for himself and it won’t surprise me if walks if the team doesn’t do well this year. Just a feeling I’ve always had about him.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

The guy is only now learning what it's like to get some attention from the opposition.

I asked myself every week last year why the opponents wouldn't man him up. He showed in 2010 how damaging he can be if let loose. Only once it happened, against Nth Melb and he had a poor game.

It's exactly what happened to Dal Santo a couple of years ago. He got thru it, and I'm sure Goddard will too.

And he didn't spend too much time on Watson yesterday, he was well held by Hocking for a lot of the game.

1eyedNever
Club Player

Maybe

maybe hes sick of the chicken s*** no talent players he has to play with ever week
ALA
Gram
Peake
Milne
Dempster
Clarke
McQualter
could name more

Hes run out of steam thats all

SKFC has now been confirmed as the AFLs BITCH
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Maybe

1eyedNever wrote:maybe hes sick of the chicken s*** no talent players he has to play with ever week
ALA
Gram
Peake
Milne
Dempster
Clarke
McQualter
could name more

Hes run out of steam thats all
I reckon that would be part of it with Goddards personality type. He's not at the club for mateship. Him and Nathan Buckley would have gotten along fantastically as team mates, then again, maybe not.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Cairnsman wrote:
Richter wrote:Surely it would be better for RL to try to manage the situation to prevent BJ from leaving?

Nup! If you have to be convinced to stay then leave. If you want the coach to grovel then that should be an automatic show of the door. The club has made huge in-roads with its professionalism in the past decade and pandering to the precious few would be an undoing of all that good work.
Goddard to me has always been for himself and it won’t surprise me if walks if the team doesn’t do well this year. Just a feeling I’ve always had about him.
If it comes to that, lets just hope it doesn't become another poker game (ala Ball) and he ends up walking to Carlton for nothing

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

If it comes to that, lets just hope it doesn't become another poker game (ala Ball) and he ends up walking to Carlton for nothing
I reckon Carlton would have called him up this morning.

St Lenny
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:Expect Goddard to be playing at another club in the not-too-distant-future. Now that the oxygen has rushed out of the bubble expect the clash of personalities to begin starting with Roo and Goddard.

Goddard would see himself as a captain and that aint going to happen at the Saints.

If he keeps sulking on the field like he obviously it then lets give him a golden hand shake now.
What a load of crock, geeze talk about hit the panic button. BJ has more substance than that.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Expect Goddard to be playing at another club in the not-too-distant-future. Now that the oxygen has rushed out of the bubble expect the clash of personalities to begin starting with Roo and Goddard.

What a load of crock, geeze talk about hit the panic button. BJ has more substance than that.
Well he looks like a sook on a football field at the moment.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

No more favourites down at Sainterland anymore. That Roo guy is a shithouse c#@$ and Dal Santo wouldn't get a game in a good team. Don't get me started on that guy Sam Fisher he has a personality disorder etc.etc. If I was the Saints board I would put an exit strategy in place for handing our AFL membership back. No point going on. They might be s*** for a while -all our stars are going because they are selfish.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:No more favourites down at Sainterland anymore. That Roo guy is a shithouse c#@$ and Dal Santo wouldn't get a game in a good team. Don't get me started on that guy Sam Fisher he has a personality disorder etc.etc. If I was the Saints board I would put an exit strategy in place for handing our AFL membership back. No point going on. They might be s*** for a while -all our stars are going because they are selfish.
Yep. Get rid of all the sooks. Can't stand a sook.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I don't reckon he is sooking, well no more than he always has, when hasn't he been an angry pants?

He wants to win, and he's out of form, not a good combo for someone with a shorter fuse. :)

No biggy, he'll turn it around.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Goddard 28 poss (10 cont) 86% eff
6 tackles, 16 'pressure acts' and 9 scoring inv - all in about 86% game time

Not bad for someone out of form

Stats may not mean everything, but I'm not sure what folks expect from him :shock:

Hold your ground :shock:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:Goddard 28 poss (10 cont) 86% eff

Stats may not mean everything, but I'm not sure what folks expect from him :shock:
There are stats and there is watching the game and seeing what he is actually doing. Certainly not playing to his expected standard in any game yet IMO. He can certainly improve but he aint on his own in that department. Only Zac and Dal could say they have nearly been at their best in the 3 games played.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:Goddard 28 poss (10 cont) 86% eff

There are stats and there is watching the game and seeing what he is actually doing. Certainly not playing to his expected standard in any game yet IMO. He can certainly improve but he aint on his own in that department. Only Zac and Dal could say they have nearly been at their best in the 3 games played.
Yes I did watch the game live, not just relying on stats - and I thought he was one of their best in a poor team performance IMO. If he's instructed to follow Watson to FB, and taken out of the game a bit, that's not his fault

He can't be expected to totally dominate a game every week

Hold your ground :shock:
saintbob
SS Life Member

Or just maybe he's just bored to tears with the sh*t brand of footy that RL is insisting we play.
No-one seems to be enjoying their footy at the moment, even Roo looks dis-interested at times.

Don't believe BJ wants out for a second, he just wants sucess like we all do and at the moment it must seem like it years away.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

For all Goddards attributes , being accountable to an opponent is not one of them....

Continually runs off his man pointing and yelling to get someone to cover his player.....kick chasing is good in a winning team...not so good when you're getting towelled....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:

yep...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

keep goddard at all costs. make him skipper next year.

id take over bj over roo anyday. not that it should any way ever come to that.

but roo has had his go at skipper. he can do a punter and play on not as skipper.

thats my 2 cents worth.

not sure why gilbo didnt get a job on jobe? give him something different. hes got the weapons to stop jobe.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:keep goddard at all costs. make him skipper next year.

id take over bj over roo anyday. not that it should any way ever come to that.

but roo has had his go at skipper. he can do a punter and play on not as skipper.

thats my 2 cents worth.

not sure why gilbo didnt get a job on jobe? give him something different. hes got the weapons to stop jobe.
Bj skipper. Can I ask why? Shows no leadership skills at all and why replace Rooy anyway. it doesnt seem to be effecting him. The day Rooy doesnt want it is the day to replace him. Hopefully it aint for a while because not many are ready to captain our club.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

FFS, it's three games into the season and you're talking like this.

HTFU!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!