Where's Ross Lyon's Head Space At?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Where's Ross Lyon's Head Space At?

We all know Ross Lyon experienced some personal tragedies last year and I’m wondering if he’s going ok himself. How the hell he has managed to keep it together (in public at least) since last years Grand Final loss and everything that’s happened since is amazing. A true professional.

I love the guy and think he is the best coach we’ve have had since Allan Jeans.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I've thought about it, too.

He's obviously as tough as nails, but surely the past 12 months have taken a toll on him. I hope that he's had enough support.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i really back the bloke. back his ability to re-invent and re-invigorate. hes more than a one trick pony. and u need to be to survive in afl footy at the top for a decade or more.

StNoodles
Club Player

Love Ross. My favourite person at the club behind Lenny.

Has always come across as extremely balanced and pragmatic.

I too will back him to the hilt.

lendog heaven
Club Player

echo the sentiments here -love the coach - always acknowledges the members/supporters - we're very lucky to have him

Tramps like us.............
Burkey 1
Club Player

Having experienced grief twice in the last 3 years myself losing my sister, her unborn child then my mum I do not how Ross is coping and still trying his best for the team and the club, I am still feeling my losses enormously and i'm not in the public eye as Ross is.

He is a tremendous strong person and he will ensure we will prevail, like everyone else he feels for the boys and the club whilst still dealing with his own grief.

We have to show strength as a club more than ever because if we start imploding again then we have learnt nothing in the past 7 years we've been a power club. The media want nothing more than to see us be the 'same old St.Kilda' but you know what if we are in transition then we should do it gracefully and be back there again in the next 2 - 3 years.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Oh Burkey, how incredibly sad...condolences :(

Burkey 1
Club Player

Thanks Sainter K, my mum loved the saints so much she was hanging on to see the day the boys would win the flag, sadly she passed away a month after the 2009 Grand Final, I'm so sad she never got to see another one.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Victims being challenged
11/04/2011 ^^^^^^ PM, ##### ******
I went expecting a somewhat different performance from the Saints. Captain Nick Riewoldt's 200th game and reversing a recent trend against the Bombers I thought would set the game up as a cracker.

Instead the Bombers were completely awesome. Their clean hands and skills were first class, as was their team work and gut-run.

Milestones provide shallow motivation, as does revenge for poor performances. They rarely work.

The Saints are in a world of hurt at the moment. They are being written off the face of the earth everywhere you turn. One more step and the Saints fall over the edge of the cliff and into hell.

This is not about personnel.
This is not about strategy, tactics or game plans.
This is not about skill or ability.
This is completely mental.

The boys are in a downward spiral mentally. They lack conviction to the cause. They lack confidence in each other, in fact they probably don't particularly like each other at the moment. They appear listless and somewhat bored in the system. Training is an effort. The Seaford training facility is a pain in the butt to get to and the novelty of the new equipment has already worn off. Meetings are tedious, you don't hear everything and you take in much less.

In essence they are starting to question whether the effort is relative to the reward.

Morale and spirit are at their highest when people believe that something is worthwhile achieving and they have the ability to achieve it.

They are playing as individuals and they do not seem to trust each other as much as they used to.

Team football is unconditional and non-negotiable. It is all about sacrifice, selflessness, team ethic, uncompromising courage (taking your turn) and spirit. When these values are in place the strategy, the tactics and the game plans function cohesively.

Similarly when these values are conditional you have individual performances, blaming others, inconsistency, frustration, selective efforts and the best strategies and tactics in the world are rendered useless.

The body manifests what the mind harbours and the Saints body language is resigning.

You feel like a victim. You become scared and worried however fear cannot cope with perseverance, so you must endure. Everything and everyone is against you.

Ross is starting to question and second guess against the pressure of expectation. No-one cares what the team did last year or five years ago. History will judge his coaching performance, it is not up to Ross to state the record and defend the past.

The time is now not yesterday or yesteryear.

He must have empathy for the situation however the last thing they need is sympathy. Strong, direct leadership is required. Real leadership is about achieving breakthrough performances.

The team could do a lot worse than get away this weekend together to reconnect, restate some values and clear direction for the coming weeks. Just simple things that they can focus on and deliver.

Before anything can be done they must collectively take responsibility. It is an arduous and difficult climb back up the slippery spiral to the light. Turning victims into tyrants is hard work.

It will be an unforgettable experience if they can will themselves one more time.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

the Psychologist that was with the club at the start of last year was great- he was the guy who saved the lady on the surf ski-- I wodner of they can convince him to come back for a period...

why I like to read Bakes twittering about his tea or Sam Crocker mentioning his trick on big Tommy- keeping things real--- and that there is fun with friends...
Dal and Ross and Nick have all mentioned in recent months about the ' real world' and it's true they need to remember that Aussie Rules is just a game- BUT for now it is their job and they can take it to heart and be the best they can be... to work together

Good Luck sainters...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
kalsaint
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:Victims being challenged
11/04/2011 ^^^^^^ PM, ##### ******

Instead the Bombers were completely awesome. Their clean hands and skills were first class, as was their team work and gut-run.

The boys are in a downward spiral mentally. They lack conviction to the cause. They lack confidence in each other, in fact they probably don't particularly like each other at the moment. They appear listless and somewhat bored in the system.

Morale and spirit are at their highest when people believe that something is worthwhile achieving and they have the ability to achieve it.

They are playing as individuals and they do not seem to trust each other as much as they used to.

Team football is unconditional and non-negotiable. It is all about sacrifice, selflessness, team ethic, uncompromising courage (taking your turn) and spirit. When these values are in place the strategy, the tactics and the game plans function cohesively.

Similarly when these values are conditional you have individual performances, blaming others, inconsistency, frustration, selective efforts and the best strategies and tactics in the world are rendered useless.

The body manifests what the mind harbours and the Saints body language is resigning.

Ross is starting to question and second guess against the pressure of expectation. .

He must have empathy for the situation however the last thing they need is sympathy. Strong, direct leadership is required. Real leadership is about achieving breakthrough performances.

Before anything can be done they must collectively take responsibility.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Good Luck sainters...
I have picked the eys out of this post and left the parts I believe fervently in.

I think Ross also gets all this from his weekly media question time and understands the need for all the above.

If some players need "resting" mentally then so be it even if it costs us a game or 2 more on the proviso that the team does heal and responds.

Ross is there to provide Focus anf Context, The team need to be responsible for their choices, be open and honest among themselves, have the passion and belief to overcome their current demeanour and provide the motivation to the odd few who struggle to be be motivated for 4 quarters. It is the on field leadership team that needs to do this (maybe with the help of a psychologist).

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Does Ross need to listen to this?

http://youtu.be/a4hFwJm41h4