Blueprint for 2011-2012

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Blueprint for 2011-2012

Got to treat 2011 as presaeson for 2012

At the moment we have 11 players who Iwould confidently list to be there in a 2012 premiership tilt:

Roo, Milne, Goddard, Monty, Gilbert, Armitage,
Fisher, Gwilt, Dawson, McEvoy and Dal Santo

Probables: Gram, Hayes, Ray,
depending if they can get fit and return to form and speed

Possibles:

old brigade- Schneider, Kosi, Polo

new- Steven, Stanley, Smith, Archer, Lynch, Walsh, Winmar, Ledger, Johnston, Crocker, Cripps

Gone by 2012 and used for depth in 2011:

Gardiner,Blake , Baker, Jones, Peake ,McQualter, Dempster

2011: Play the possibles at all opportiunity to find who is up to it,
recuperate the certanties and rotate the depth players when necessary to stay competitive.

2012: Trade for 1 good quick onballer, (which we are short)
New game plan, go for gold with new side.

Nee!
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: Blueprint for 2011-2012

fugazi wrote:Got to treat 2011 as presaeson for 2012

At the moment we have 11 players who Iwould confidently list to be there in a 2012 premiership tilt:

Possibles:

new- Steven, Stanley, Smith, Archer, Lynch, Walsh, Winmar, Ledger, Johnston, Crocker, Cripps

recuperate the certanties and rotate the depth players when necessary to stay competitive.

Schneider is 4 years younger than Milney and is an absolute lock.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
eppo67
Club Player

Re: Blueprint for 2011-2012

fugazi wrote:Got to treat 2011 as presaeson for 2012

Possibles:

Sounds good to me agree with that however I dont think 2011 is done with yet. My brother who is a pretty good footy judge virtually guaranteed me before the season started we would be 0 & 3 and then he was going to the TAB with some cash !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sorry but I cannot see how a side that will be a year older and with only one or two regulars that could improve being Ben and Armo can improve next year when stars like Hayes, Fisher, Rooy and Milney will be a year older and may stay the same but in all likelihood get fractionally worse can have a tilt at the flag next season.

I am of the opinion that we can still do something this year but if we cant we certainly will not next year.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

An interesting blueprint Fugazi and probably not too far off. There will of course be a thousand different views.

Yes, we do need to test as many new guys as possible, preferably giving them a minimum of 3 consecutive games to settle in. Let's not throw the entire year away yet by playing every new person at once - there are plenty of games to go.

For me, 2011 will tell whether Kosi and Sneider can continue, but I hope so. Polo is untried with us and will need to compete for a HB position with a few others.

NoMore
Club Player

Actually really like this idea.

Also would like to add that once finals are gone or a chance at top 4 is done i would hope that a few of the older guys get weeks off to rest and or be sent for early surgery so we are right to go to start pre-season bright and early.

Also plugger this is not even really a chance to have a real crack at 2012 but more a look at where our kids are. The certanties will all still be certs but this blueprint would give us a great chance to really see where our young players are at by the end of the year

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure that we should be looking at 7 Draft Picks at the end of 2011. We need to remember that GWS will be getting all the best picks, after that Adelaide will be taking their concession pick, Gold Coast have another couple of picks and then it gets into the Draft. I'm tipping that we'll take plugger66 with our 7th Rd pick !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

NoMore wrote:Actually really like this idea.

Also would like to add that once finals are gone or a chance at top 4 is done i would hope that a few of the older guys get weeks off to rest and or be sent for early surgery so we are right to go to start pre-season bright and early.

Also plugger this is not even really a chance to have a real crack at 2012 but more a look at where our kids are. The certanties will all still be certs but this blueprint would give us a great chance to really see where our young players are at by the end of the year
Sorry but i fail to see how a side of our age who some on here think will miss the finals this year will suddenly improve 5-6 wins next year. We need to make the finals and with at least 13-14 wins this year to still be any chance next year.

You know what I think we should do this year. Until we cant make the finals we should play the guys that deserve a game. Not just play Mini or Dempster but also equally not just play a guy because he is young to give them experience. If Kosi comes back next week and for balance Stanley should be dropped then drop him. If mini deserves a game because of form at Sandy then play him. Equally if Lynch plays another good game then play him ahead of Gamble.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: I am of the opinion that we can still do something this year but if we cant we certainly will not next year.
Plugger, I think you might be..ermmm....I will give you a hint...

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote: I am of the opinion that we can still do something this year but if we cant we certainly will not next year.

Drowning, relaxing, up a tree. Sorry I am lost. Maybe that is it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Is it dreaming?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:

Is that the far canal?

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

fair call on Schneider....just he seems to run like an old man these days, always hobbling...same with Gram.

For me the best realistic result for this year would be to fall into the 8 and scare the hell out of the finalists with a revamped side...with say Cripps, Stanley, Stevens and Smith having 10-15games in them this year.

Nee!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I agree with Plugger66. If we cant do it this year we certainly wont next year. And the season is not written off yet.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Sorry but i fail to see how a side of our age who some on here think will miss the finals this year will suddenly improve 5-6 wins next year. We need to make the finals and with at least 13-14 wins this year to still be any chance next year.

You know what I think we should do this year. Until we cant make the finals we should play the guys that deserve a game. Not just play Mini or Dempster but also equally not just play a guy because he is young to give them experience. If Kosi comes back next week and for balance Stanley should be dropped then drop him. If mini deserves a game because of form at Sandy then play him. Equally if Lynch plays another good game then play him ahead of Gamble.
I'm 100% with plugger66 here. The decision to re-build cannot be made on whim. It would be accepting that 10 years of toil are worthless. The re-build can begin at any time. We should still be striving for the finals and then some.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Important point about the draft next year Eastern! It's a real conundrum.

Clearly, we now need to test our young guys this year, whilst still keeping an eye on our finals opportunity. However, we should no longer be planning for a GF in 2011. Let's use this opportunity to give the young guys a decent run while we can and see what they have - it's real time training. :idea:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i dont think u can call milney a cert for 2012. id say hes very unlikely for 2012. if he plays on it wont be at premiershsip standard.

and isnt gilbo going to gws?

i reckon we need 4 new good players. and ita ratio of about 50% - this would mean getting 20 games into 8 newbies.

armo,stanley and steven will get to 20 games pretty easily this year. that still leaves another 5 new blokes to get 20 games in the next 2 years.

smith, cripps, winmar, ledger and at one another will all need to play 4-6 odd games this year.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:Important point about the draft next year Eastern! It's a real conundrum.

Clearly, we now need to test our young guys this year, whilst still keeping an eye on our finals opportunity. However, we should no longer be planning for a GF in 2011. Let's use this opportunity to give the young guys a decent run while we can and see what they have - it's real time training. :idea:
As unlikely as it may seem- at Round 3, there is little point in not aiming for the 2011 premiership. Not unless we realistically think that we can be back in 2012 or 2013. Otherwise, give the incumbents one last real crack at it, at least until mid-seasonn, and if we are 3-7-1 or something well 7 or 8 of them will doubtless know that their time is up, and the re-build can begin. Round 3 is still to early to call it over for a team that was 1 point away from a premiership last season, albeit having lost one of it's three best players- possibly the most valuable for the season. I don't think we will make the finals, but I believe that guys like Milney, Bakes, Blake and possibly even Kosi and Mini deserve to be given the chance to turn it around.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Is he?

NoMore
Club Player

The incumbents will get one last crack at it if there form holds and we admit to needing to freshen up. I hope i am wrong about this year but i think this year is a write off. Roo is only 29 and if we think we can get 3 seasons out of him then maybe a slight rebuild now will see him with the chance to finish with a flag playing from the goal square.

For lenny i think its done. But Dal, Joey and BJ plus a few others may still be there depending on there bodies to have another crack. That is the question we need to weigh up

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

dcstkfc wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Is he?
Hopefully, he's a very limited footballer.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:...and isnt gilbo going to gws?...
Just what they need. Someone, who having done all the had work kicks it straight back to the opposition. He can't kick and he can't handball. Other than that, he has all the skills. Pity he doesn't spend more time on skills rather than photography.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

Drowning, relaxing, up a tree. Sorry I am lost. Maybe that is it.
Rhymes with an Egyptian river.....

D
E
N
I
A
L

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

... Sorry I am lost...
Herald Sun readers need captions.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I'm 100% with plugger66 here. The decision to re-build cannot be made on whim. It would be accepting that 10 years of toil are worthless. The re-build can begin at any time. We should still be striving for the finals and then some.
We're not going to rebuild, at least not yet.

He only said it to get the core group to contemplate what bottoming out in what should be their prime would feel like.