Ross Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints94
SS Life Member

Ross Lyon

Now lets get things straight im a huge Ross Lyon fan and back him 110% BUT lets say everything goes wrong from here and he leaves the Saints, what assistant coach or senior coach would you go for???

personally i'd go for Mark Neeld from Collingwood

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Leigh Tudor is looking like he knows what's going on.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon

Saints94 wrote:Now lets get things straight im a huge Ross Lyon fan and back him 110% BUT lets say everything goes wrong from here and he leaves the Saints, what assistant coach or senior coach would you go for???

Neeld and Tudor seem in line for senior gig somewhere, but lets not worry about that this early in the season, as I expect we will be back on the winners list sooner than later.

Saints94
SS Life Member

spert wrote:
Saints94 wrote:Now lets get things straight im a huge Ross Lyon fan and back him 110% BUT lets say everything goes wrong from here and he leaves the Saints, what assistant coach or senior coach would you go for???

Neeld and Tudor seem in line for senior gig somewhere, but lets not worry about that this early in the season, as I expect we will be back on the winners list sooner than later.
Yeah i agree Spert, just floating the idea

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

how would you be able to tell from the outside how good the assistants are? would you have chosen ross lyon or longmire, mckenna or chris bond five years ago?

Saints94
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
how would you be able to tell from the outside how good the assistants are? would you have chosen ross lyon or longmire, mckenna or chris bond five years ago?
Its just my opinion, he came so close in the Geelong coaching job and he is the midfield coach at the pies and when i seen a few of those behind the secens work on tv and i thought just the way he talked so fluently just struck me as a future senior coach

bergsone
SS Life Member

Love him or hate him you would have to look at Malthouse,as he wont be coaching next year

Saints94
SS Life Member

bergsone wrote:Love him or hate him you would have to look at Malthouse,as he wont be coaching next year
Yeah you would be stupid not to, didnt he from memory wanted the Saints job in 2007?

Ice Wolf
Club Player

bergsone wrote:Love him or hate him you would have to look at Malthouse,as he wont be coaching next year
Yes, because hiring the coach of the team that beat us in a GF/GF Replay has worked so well before.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Ice Wolf wrote:
Yes, because hiring the coach of the team that beat us in a GF/GF Replay has worked so well before.
This one is a bit different...Malthouse won't be comfortably retired on the Gold Coast. If he still has the passion to coach a club will make him an offer.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

blimey imagine that
we bottom out
the club has a fit and sacks another coach (or he walks)
and we get MM

first thing he would do is cut milne i reckon lol

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

So many variables.

How do we know Buckley isn't what influenced the eventual premiership (I heard the forward pressure evolution was all him)

How do we know that Rossy's defensive mind was a strong factor in Paul Roos premiership (which is why he rates him so highly)

Not that simple.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Give the guy a chance. We lose a couple and all of a sudden, the coach is no good :!: :!: That's a cheap shot. There have been many knee jerk coaching changes over the years at the Saints. Few have been successful.
Recruiting (or lack of) seems to me to be a major contributor to our current situation.

Ross has got us into finals and grand finals with his strategies, coaching, player communication. He is not the one that kicks the ball out on the ground. Many other football clubs would love to have had our success over the past decade.

No-one is perfect. Our current situation will have initiated a re-evaluation of some of his core beliefs, such as player loyalty vs performance, strategies and set-plays. It may be the nudge he needs to re-invigorate the team and try some new blood.

Give it until mid-season to see what position we are in. Do we want short term gain, or longer term success? As we know, GF's are very hard to win.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:Give the guy a chance. We lose a couple and all of a sudden, the coach is no good :!: :!: That's a cheap shot. There have been many knee jerk coaching changes over the years at the Saints. Few have been successful.
Recruiting (or lack of) seems to me to be a major contributor to our current situation.

Ross has got us into finals and grand finals with his strategies, coaching, player communication. He is not the one that kicks the ball out on the ground. Many other football clubs would love to have had our success over the past decade.

No-one is perfect. Our current situation will have initiated a re-evaluation of some of his core beliefs, such as player loyalty vs performance, strategies and set-plays. It may be the nudge he needs to re-invigorate the team and try some new blood.

Give it until mid-season to see what position we are in. Do we want short term gain, or longer term success? As we know, GF's are very hard to win.
Agree.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Junction Oval wrote:Give the guy a chance. We lose a couple and all of a sudden, the coach is no good :!: :!: That's a cheap shot. There have been many knee jerk coaching changes over the years at the Saints. Few have been successful.

Agree.
Did either of you two read the OP?
Doesn't read to me like anybody is calling for Ross' head...Far from it. The OP actually suggests that Ross would leave St Kilda not St Kilda would sack him.

Nothing wrong with a bit of spit-balling about the next best available coach in the market place is there?

Saints94
SS Life Member

Life Long Saint wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Agree.
Did either of you two read the OP?
Doesn't read to me like anybody is calling for Ross' head...Far from it. The OP actually suggests that Ross would leave St Kilda not St Kilda would sack him.

Nothing wrong with a bit of spit-balling about the next best available coach in the market place is there?
Yeah your correct, as far as i know Ross is a man of integrity and i do believe he would walk if he felt it was the right time

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

OK, I may have skimmed too quickly and misread your point.

"Coach talk" of any type will quickly stir the pot and all of a sudden, it becomes the big issue and is blown out of all proportion. That's not what the Saints need right now.

The current issue is about team performance. However, you are entitled to make your point about what Ross may contemplate. :)

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:"Coach talk" of any type will quickly stir the pot and all of a sudden, it becomes the big issue and is blown out of all proportion. That's not what the Saints need right now.
Lucky for us this is just a fan forum then! :wink:

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Yes, and it's great to have an opinion and hear what other Sainters have to say.

However, "others" watch it also (read lazy press) to get ideas. :roll:

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
How do we know Buckley isn't what influenced the eventual premiership (I heard the forward pressure evolution was all him)
I heard it wasn't Buckley who came up with the press...it was Scott Watters.

Buckley's gig was to help make it work...

Opinions vary

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Ice Wolf
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:
SainterK wrote:
I heard it wasn't Buckley who came up with the press...it was Scott Watters.

Buckley's gig was to help make it work...

Opinions vary
And I hear that Maxy told them how and Ball gave them his notes.

santazzi
Club Player

What is this thread about.............??

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Junction oval wrote:
Yes, and it's great to have an opinion and hear what other Sainters have to say.

However, "others" watch it also (read lazy press) to get ideas.

I swear to god (not that he exists) but I swear that Rohan Connolly wrote a sentence in an article lately that he plaguerised directly from ME on this forum.

I've said a few times on here something along the lines of : "In '09, we were the best team, and in '10 we played nowhere near as well as we did in '09 yet that was still good enough to make the GF."

Then I read a Rohan Connolley article and he phrased it very very similarly, something like " In '09, the saints were clearly the best team in the comp. In '10, they didnt play anywhere nearly as well and yet still came within an errant bounce of winning the flag."

So Rohan Connolley reads saintsational.

I hate Essendon more than any other team. Worst supporters.

Oh and if Ross walked out on us, I wouldnt mind seeing Mark Thompson take the reigns. Or what about Choco? He seems like a good leader of young men.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:So many variables.

How do we know that Rossy's defensive mind was a strong factor in Paul Roos premiership (which is why he rates him so highly)

Not that simple.
Love Ross or hate Ross, the Swans were never the same after he left.

Swan fans to this day tell me that Lyon owes everything he knows to Roos. While I don't doubt that Lyon learned a lot from Roos, I think they underestimate just how much of an influence Lyon had on their team.

We may find the same with Tudor and SOS.

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Malthouse would be another mistake like the Blight fiasco.

Another coach coming over for the superannuation.

He has absolutely no respect for the club anyway. None whatsoever.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....