Standalone St Kilda VFL team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints43
Club Player

Standalone St Kilda VFL team

In the victory room on Sunday I asked Michael Nettlefold if we were still investigating having a standalone team in the VFL.

He said that we were and had two years remaining on our agreement with Sandy.

He said that it would be a significant cost - no specific figure was mentioned.

Apparently it costs about $250K a year to fund an affiliate club. And 500K to run a standalone club. Meaning the club would need to find an extra quarter of a million dollars a year.

Would existing members pay an extra $25 a year become a member of the St Kilda Reserves? Would it be feasible to raise the money required from 10,000 existing members?

I know I would be happy to pay the extra considering the advantages I believe the club would have with complete control over their reserves.

Saints94
SS Life Member

So basicly its not going to happen for at least another two years?

Legendary
Club Player

I would pay $25 a year to be a "reserves" member and would also give a significant donation if they were serious about this.

I reckon it would be fantastic and I would have no hesitation in contributing money.

Would make a world of difference.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't think twice even if I never saw a game.

Perhaps they could give you an option.

Scarf only plus ressies membership instead of scarf and all the other superfluous bunk incl the leadweight keyring that's making me walk lop-sided.

:D

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Current membership at Sandy is $70 -- which if you got the 10,000 would be good

currently I am not sure of VFL memberships- they don't appear to push them extra hard in the past- ie Casey had something like 450 members when we were associated.

but Sandy are giving them mroe emphasis this year and you get a fixture and scarf for your $$

the other area that appears to work well is Player sponsorship- a few hundred and one or two bonus options- meal, etc may work too.

the club( Michael) have been openly mentioning a feeder team/ reserves for a couple of years now..

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It's an interesting and worthwhile discussion point. Would be great if we could achieve it in two year's time. It will be needed to stay at the top.

The problem is that if team performance declines, so will member support. Getting a "long term" commitment from 10,000 members will be a big ask. The first year or two would probably not be a major problem.

The bigger issue is for the Board to develop long term "non-football revenue streams." :roll: The population of Melbourne is not big enough to financially support the ever increasing financial demands of 10 teams (incl G'long). The strong will get stronger, and the weak ..........

How was the noise level of the "on-going" auctions in the Social Club :?:

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I would watch the vfl most weekends...

Saints43
Club Player

Junction Oval wrote:The problem is that if team performance declines, so will member support. Getting a "long term" commitment from 10,000 members will be a big ask. The first year or two would probably not be a major problem.
I picked 10,000 because we had 17,855 members in 2000.

Anyone who was a member in 2000 can be confirmed as long term, committed supporter I reckon. And I would be sure there are even more now. We have enough members to fund the extra cost if there is enough interest in having our own reserves imo.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

if we are to be successful in the future we will need a reserve team in the vfl - a team of only our players, playing the same systems, allowing players the same roles that would be expected in the afl team.
it is a massive advantage to have your own vfl team and clubs that cannot afford this neccessity will struggle for sustained success and eventually collapse or relocate.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The $25 is an awesome idea.

Id be in it in a heartbeat.

Make it an "opt out" type option for all members IMO.

We NEED our own reserves team next season, we can't afford to wait until 2012.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Would our own team be at the expense of a club or would we simply become an extra side?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Wouldnt pay a cent for us to run our own reserves side. They can afford it if they really want to do it.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:I would pay $25 a year to be a "reserves" member and would also give a significant donation if they were serious about this.

I reckon it would be fantastic and I would have no hesitation in contributing money.

+1, at least on the $25

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Would be fully supportive of them fielding a stand alone Reserves side.
To have full control of your players would be worth whatever the cost IMO

Hold your ground :shock:
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

dcstkfc wrote:
Legendary wrote:I would pay $25 a year to be a "reserves" member and would also give a significant donation if they were serious about this.

+1, at least on the $25
+2 Wouldnt hesitate either.

What kinda crowds do the Cats & Pies get to their games.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I'd be more than happy to pay a few extra quid for our own VFL team.

Count me in.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Wouldnt pay a cent for us to run our own reserves side. They can afford it if they really want to do it.
Copybook response Tugsie!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

same here

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Wouldnt pay a cent for us to run our own reserves side. They can afford it if they really want to do it.
Copybook response Tugsie!
What does that mean? When have I ever mentioned previouisly not giving money to the club. I have no idea how much you give or help the club but I bet I have you covered and by a hell of a long way. I would suggest you actually have no idea.

Sorry but in this case they can organise 250K themself IMO.

Saints43
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Sorry but in this case they can organise 250K themself IMO.
Fair enough. But where will they find it?

I reckon this would be a great opportunity to raise revenue, engage supporters and try to re-create a piece of suburban footy. It would be great having a can, watching our kids in our jumper at Moorabbin.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Sorry but in this case they can organise 250K themself IMO.
Fair enough. But where will they find it?

I reckon this would be a great opportunity to raise revenue, engage supporters and try to re-create a piece of suburban footy. It would be great having a can, watching our kids in our jumper at Moorabbin.
Fine if you want to give some money. I probably will end up doing it anyway.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Just playing devils advocate eh???

Not like you, to go against the grain....

The benefits from a stand alone vfl team are obvious (as are your replies) the negative is only money....someone is suggesting how to overcome this....money has to be generated from somewhere.....would you rather it come from the footy dept???

Hell we just gave 1 million to andrew lovett.....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Just playing devils advocate eh???

Not like you, to go against the grain....

The benefits from a stand alone vfl team are obvious (as are your replies) the negative is only money....someone is suggesting how to overcome this....money has to be generated from somewhere.....would you rather it come from the footy dept???

Hell we just gave 1 million to andrew lovett.....
Again what are you on about? I have stated many times we should have our own side and not once in this thread have I said we shouldnt. Maybe you should read before going to print.

And this positive stuff coming from a person who just continues to knock most things the club do and have even done it in the post.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

One thing we havent done in my lifetime....so there is a case of warranted fair critisism towards most things stk.....we have an appaulling history, that cannot be argued against....although i know you will try

Your point of not contributing to help fund a vfl team, to me translates into a philosiphy that it not overly important.....most would see it that way.....or you could just be a tight miserable prick who is too selfish to dish out coin to assist the club??

Whatever

You do make pro afl/stk posts....so you are a 'better'supporter though

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:One thing we havent done in my lifetime....so there is a case of warranted fair critisism towards most things stk.....we have an appaulling history, that cannot be argued against....although i know you will try

Your point of not contributing to help fund a vfl team, to me translates into a philosiphy that it not overly important.....most would see it that way.....or you could just be a tight miserable prick who is too selfish to dish out coin to assist the club??

Whatever

You do make pro afl/stk posts....so you are a 'better'supporter though
Firstly I have said many times we should have our own side and secondly you wouldnt have a clue what I do for the club so I suggest you wouldnt have a clue.

Unlike you deciding you know about how tight I am or that I dont want a seconds side even though I never mentioned it I didnt say I was a better supporter. Maybe again you should read the posts.