THE TURN AROUND.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Leo.J
SS Life Member

THE TURN AROUND.

There are 3 factors that will help us turn around our year.

1. Our youth standing up and being counted.

One way we a going to improve on last year is if our youth stand up.

While I can't stand Malthouse he has a way of getting great performances out of his young players. I heard Bluey Mackenna say early this year that one of MM's saying was to 'tear up your birth certificates, everyone is equal out there'. Every club he's coached at, his youngsters have performed above their years.

We need this to happen for us this year, or I can't see us going forward.

Most premiers in recent years apart from Geelong in 2009 have taken the comp by surprise with a combination of game plan and a couple of young guns standing up either in their first or second year.

This normally doesn't allow oppositions to work them out in time.

This is imo the number 1 thing that needs to occur if we are to improve enough to be competitive at least, and possibly be the best.

Stanley, Steven, and Smith at least need to stand up and deliver.

2. We need to get our game plan right.

We have apparently tweaked our GP, and we have a new line coach on every line.

This may take a while to get used to, and refine.

Only the Filth and us have had the same amount of preseaon, most of the comp have had a least a 6 week start on us.

The filth have barely changed a thing as far GP and coaching personel are concerned, we've had possibly a complete overhall.

This will take time to get right.

3. Getting our hunger back.

We appear to be only just going through the motions. The above will not mean squat if we don't play with desire and controlled agression.

Without our hunger we will not be able to apply enough pressure to bother anyone this year.

It's early days, 19 rounds to go, 12 wins to play finals, 16 for top 4.

Anything can and will happen, as it always does in footy.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Good topic Leo J, but one thing is important for the younger players to succeed, and that is the senior, or more experienced players, need to lead by example and others will follow, that's is the biggest thing lacking so far for us. Too many of our supposed bigger names are playing on the fringe and need to get into he contest and run a lot harder. Basically the team is flat and needs to kick-start itself.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Collingwood came back earlier than us to go to Arizona

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Leo.J
SS Life Member

bobmurray wrote:Collingwood came back earlier than us to go to Arizona
They apparently came back later after Christmas though

Leo.J
SS Life Member

spert wrote:Good topic Leo J, but one thing is important for the younger players to succeed, and that is the senior, or more experienced players, need to lead by example and others will follow, that's is the biggest thing lacking so far for us. Too many of our supposed bigger names are playing on the fringe and need to get into he contest and run a lot harder. Basically the team is flat and needs to kick-start itself.
I agree, the senior guys really need to get their hunger back and quick, they are the ones who we need to lead by example.

Sometimes though young guys like, Selwood (Geelong 07), Rioli (Hawks 08), Sidebottom, Blair (Pies 2010) can lead also, and sometimes spark the older guys in to action.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Yep.

Really have to wait to see how it impacts their entire season, especially given guys like Swan and Pendlebury are spending more TOG.

They also didn't play the two grand finals in 2010, on the back of playing off in one in 2009.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Re: THE TURN AROUND.

Leo.J wrote: ...'tear up your birth certificates, everyone is equal out there'...
Ross Lyon - 18th April 2011 wrote:“The real philosophy will be playing players that have a real crack and are prepared to give their best effort. Birth certificates are out the window and we are really about effort and growth mindset.â€

Saints43
Club Player

Re: THE TURN AROUND.

Leo.J wrote:
Leo.J wrote: ...'tear up your birth certificates, everyone is equal out there'...
Ross Lyon - 18th April 2011 wrote:“The real philosophy will be playing players that have a real crack and are prepared to give their best effort. Birth certificates are out the window and we are really about effort and growth mindset.â€

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Yep.

Really have to wait to see how it impacts their entire season, especially given guys like Swan and Pendlebury are spending more TOG.

They also didn't play the two grand finals in 2010, on the back of playing off in one in 2009.
Hopefully the old coot has trained the filth too hard and they will start getting injuries.

Geelong are old and they may get injuries and tire. Hawthorn are unreliable.

Bring them all back a peg or two and see how they cope with the pressure we have had from the media; not that we've handled that bloody well so far.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Why could'nt Essendon have lost two of its quicker players for the season BEFORE they played the Saints?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Does anybody really, and I mean really, really deep down believe that we are any chance of a premiership this year? When Ross has to waste time trying to convince the players that our game plan is still viable after 3 rounds then surely that tells us that the rebuild is imminent (and required). For memberships sake we’ll all get told we are still in it.
I think it only needs to be a mini rebuild but I am under no illusion about our premiership prospects in 2011 and it doesn’t bother me if we don’t make the finals even. In fact I think I don’t even care how low on the ladder we end up. Let the senior players have a soft year mentoring the young guys.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Does anybody really, and I mean really, really deep down believe that we are any chance of a premiership this year? When Ross has to waste time trying to convince the players that our game plan is still viable after 3 rounds then surely that tells us that the rebuild is imminent (and required). For memberships sake we’ll all get told we are still in it.
I think it only needs to be a mini rebuild but I am under no illusion about our premiership prospects in 2011 and it doesn’t bother me if we don’t make the finals even. In fact I think I don’t even care how low on the ladder we end up. Let the senior players have a soft year mentoring the young guys.
Yes.

I don't think this has been about the players not buying into the game plan, why on earth wouldn't they, it got them within reach of two grand finals.

We're not talking a couple of goals behind all day, there were moments they could of actually won....both of them.

That's probably what is so painful about it, and what they have to shake off.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

After the start of last season hearing we were f%$#ed after losing to the dogs in the NAB. And after Roo going down the same crap. I am open to seeing where it goes. Do I think we are in the box seat- no. The season is long, teams peak and trough remember the Bulldogs early last year looked like they were the team to beat. Hall was the missing link in more than just a biological sense. The Pies were a bunch of nothing, serial prelim disasters with no real improvement left. Geelong were still a power outfit and those that thought there was another flag in them were everywhere.

The one thing you know is that at some point we will get on with the job and start looking like the team that got to 2 GFs. It may not be enough but gee let them prove you wrong.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Cairnsman wrote:Does anybody really, and I mean really, really deep down believe that we are any chance of a premiership this year?
Yes.

The season is indeed long. Last year after we were decimated by carlton I thought that's it, no hope.

But things can change for the better very quickly.

These guys have made 2 grand finals. This team has the ability to win a premiership, they were so close twice.

Go for the rebuild when they can still hold up the premiership cup this year? I prefer to see them try and hold up the cup.

And if you think its all in folly because collingwood are so superior. Any number of things could cause their season to unravel.

Giving up now is a terrible option.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

so what was everyones initial reaction when roo went down with the hammie in the pies game huh huh??
we all thought it was over?
did we make a grannie that year? i cant remember??

its round farking 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not round 14

ffs

probability says there is still a chance as there is 20 odd rounds or so left!!!

:roll:

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Cairnsman wrote:Does anybody really, and I mean really, really deep down believe that we are any chance of a premiership this year? .
Im waiting until we've played 6 games before I decide. If we win the next 3 and are 3 wins, 1 draw and 2 losses at that stage, i would say we are defintiely still a shot at a flag. If on the the other hand we are still scratching for a win, then the year will be a write off. I think 2 wins in the next 3 games is probably required for us to get our season on track and still be considered a contender.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Yep, as they say in the classics, let's take it a week-at-a-time - win, win and win. :!: