Changes for next week

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Changes for next week

A win is a win, but for it to mean anything then we'll need to build on it next week as part of the long road back to good form.

I reckon on last night's evidence we're going at about 40% capacity at the moment, but that's better than 25% the week before. To beat the Crows over there we'll have to lift again, but a loss may well be acceptable as long as we show a bit.

The structure was wrong last night, the team was obviously too tall, so a big guy has to drop out of that forward line. Stanley was ineffective and may be injured - every other player subbed off has been out of the team for the next game - so it's likely to be him. I can't really make much of a case for dropping anyone else.

No Sandy game this week so we'll have to go on exposed form. Consider the three emergencies - Raph, Winmar and Blake. I think the defensive mix was better last night, without Raph and Blake trying to squeeze into the back six. The ball was still coming in like a rocket, but that's down to the midfield. So I'd rather not bring either of Raph or Blake in.

Everyone seems to think Winmar's not quite there yet (I haven't seen him) but I wouldn't be completely surprised if he got a game. Keep in mind he hasn't played a game of footy at all in about three weeks, as non-playing emergency twice.

Otherwise, what are our other options?

- Simpkin, Walsh and Lynch have shown a little, but in defence and I'm not sure we need more defenders.
- Archer's the same player he was when he was dropped and could only be third tall forward.
- Polo and Cripps have both missed games through injury and don't exactly seem to be setting the world on fire at Sandy, and Ledger and Johnson are not yet back from injury.
- Siposs is young.
- Crocker's in the twos.
- Heyne's doing nothing.
- Peake and Gamble were dropped for this week, and on effort basis they're hard to pick.

So for mine there really don't seem to be a lot of options, especially with no Sandy game this week. Ideally I'd like to see:

IN: Winmar
OUT: Stanley

But Winmar might have lost all condition seeing as he hasn't played in three weeks. Otherwise I won't be surprised if the change is:

IN: Blake
OUT: Stanley

Thoughts?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Out Stanley

In Someone who played last week at Sandy. I will go cripps.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Stanley is out 100% certain.

In: Blake or Winmar

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Elvis
Club Player

out GRAM

in......

anyone who doesn't constantly turn the ball over by putting huge pressure on teammates with sloppy disposal. So sick of his looping handballs and kicks where team mates have to wait half an hour underneath the ball. His goals masked a terrible game. Dished it straight to Power at a crucial time, kept looking at the bench to come off, poor body language, turned it over three times in a row and simply CANNOT LAY A DECENT TACKLE. I'd prefer Blake, Raph... even Lenny on crutches would tackle better than a supposedly 'fit' Grammy.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully grams replacement gives us as much offensive run, take him out of the side we would be the slowest side in history....

When we were nearly going to go down last night, he was critical on giving us run through the lines...

I noticed one occasion where he missed a tackle and noticed he went when it was his turn several times.....

Can someone rewatch the tape, give me specific times when gram was 'soft'

Because i am still yet to be convinced he ever pulls out or shirks his responsibilty....would ross pick anyone who doesnt put their head over the ball.....he does make poor defensive effort, like milne, dal occasionally,

That is lazy.....not soft

Not everyone can be lenny hayes....thats what makes hayes so good

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Hopefully grams replacement gives us as much offensive run, take him out of the side we would be the slowest side in history....

When we were nearly going to go down last night, he was critical on giving us run through the lines...

I noticed one occasion where he missed a tackle and noticed he went when it was his turn several times.....

Because i am still yet to be convinced he ever pulls out or shirks his responsibilty....would ross pick anyone who doesnt put their head over the ball.....he does make poor defensive effort, like milne, dal occasionally,

Totally agree. He has a few faults and that is why he isnt a star but how many at the club would have kicked the goal from 50 especially as the handball didnt really work and he still had to get around a player. There are plenty in front of him to be dropped.

AlpineStars
Club Player

Watching the NAB cup I thought Walsh was ready to go rd 1?

Wake me up when September ends.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Not everyone can be lenny hayes....thats what makes hayes so good
Every good team has, and needs, a "Gram".

These "Grams" only look bad when the team is travelling poorly.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Most agree that Stanley is not contributing - out.

Gwilt needs a release from tall forwards, so Walsh in (instead of Blake).

McQualter out. Siposs (the future) worth a try in place of Gamble up forward. If Siposs comes in, Kosi needs to make an impact up forward.

To me, Winmar is simply not yet ready for this level of tough contests.

Elvis
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Hopefully grams replacement gives us as much offensive run, take him out of the side we would be the slowest side in history....

Never said he was soft Big Mart, agree that not everyone can be Lenny :( Anyone that makes it to this level is not soft... even Jack Watts!!! What I am saying is that Gram looks injured, constantly puts team mates under pressure, rarely makes an effective tackle and generally has extremely sloppy disposal at crucial times in the game. If his big plus is his run and carry I would suggest that is simply because opposition coaches do not rate him highly enough to warrant a heavy tag... therefore he gets a lot of uncontested ball... which he coughs up. In that case his spot is up for review...surely. I didn't say he was soft... with respect, maybe you did!

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I'll take the run and carry aspect at the moment - we need it and there are not too many others giving us this. It puts pressure on the opposition going forward. :)

I liked Ray's last quarter - some great marks for a mid-size player.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:Most agree that Stanley is not contributing - out.

McQualter out. Siposs (the future) worth a try in place of Gamble up forward. If Siposs comes in, Kosi needs to make an impact up forward.

I really like the look of Siposs.

But, and I know they're different types of players with different roles, if Winmar's not ready yet then I would say Arryn is not ready either.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Junction Oval wrote:Most agree that Stanley is not contributing - out.

I really like the look of Siposs.

But, and I know they're different types of players with different roles, if Winmar's not ready yet then I would say Arryn is not ready either.
He is 100% not ready. He looks a player but Winmar has a year on him and has been emergency 3 times. He is obviously closer.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Is it then Winmar or Gamble up forward :?:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:Is it then Winmar or Gamble up forward :?:
No its either Johnson or Mini. I think they will go with Mini and have maybe a Winmar type as sub.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Out Stanley

In Someone who played last week at Sandy. I will go cripps.
yes please.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Last week Tommy Walsh had a run and forgot to bounce the ball, and gave away a free and a goal. He is just learning the game.
Last night, what was Gilbert's excuse?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Last week Tommy Walsh had a run and forgot to bounce the ball, and gave away a free and a goal. He is just learning the game.
Last night, what was Gilbert's excuse?
Brain fade + trying to be creative + lack of options.

Not the first player to run too far; won't be the last.

PJ
SS Life Member

Brain fade + trying to be creative + lack of options.

Not the first player to run too far; won't be the last.
Agreed but the brain fade was throwing the ball on the ground for 50. He almost overran about 3 times - not switched on last night, he'll get better.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Agree. Gilbert was trying to make something happen, with limited options available. Was a fairly innocuos event in the run of things.

The 50 penalty episode was a sign of frustration. He needs to relax a little more and is obviously very concious about his current form. - trying too hard perhaps :?:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:Agree. Gilbert was trying to make something happen, with limited options available. Was a fairly innocuos event in the run of things.

The 50 penalty episode was a sign of frustration. He needs to relax a little more and is obviously very concious about his current form. - trying too hard perhaps  :?:
As I posted in the Gilbert thread:
Dr Spaceman wrote:Not trying to make excuses but I reckon this whole Kim Duthie stuff must've really had an effect on him. Especially in recent times with the barrage from Hinch and the major media networks falling over themselves to feature Kim in prime time and the admission she made up the whole pregnancy thing. 

Of course that has nothing to do with his inability to kick, but it could well have an effect on his mental wellbeing and his form in general.

Just saying.

PJ
SS Life Member

AAMI is a big ground you'd want someone with plenty of run in their legs.

Kosi and McQ will probably hold their spots.

Stanley was injured so he'll go for a runner - Winmar (not sure he has the tank), Blake (maybe for the backline) releasing another forward, Cripps (again questions over his endurance).

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:AAMI is a big ground you'd want someone with plenty of run in their legs.

Kosi and McQ will probably hold their spots.

Stanley was injured so he'll go for a runner - Winmar (not sure he has the tank), Blake (maybe for the backline) releasing another forward, Cripps (again questions over his endurance).
I dont think Cripps has any tank problems. Probably out of Winmar and Cripps IMO but the tried and true got us over the line last night even though we struggled so Blake may be a chance.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

we'll be playing against a lot of kids - so it could be a good time to give walsh a game - but i haven't seen how he is going form wise - looked okay in the nab. he may respond to larger crowds and a bigger atmosphere.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Won't happen, but I doubt he'd do any less up forward than Rhys did last night.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.