Cauliflower v Brussel Sprouts

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Luke Ball left for money plain and simple... can't blame him for that.

But it doesn't mean I have to like it or him.

I support the Saints, not someone who plays for Collingwood and wasn't willing to make sacrifices to win a flag with the club he once captained.

He wanted to be paid a top 5 in the club salary, while he was playing like a dud.

If he got cleaned up I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
SainterK wrote:
BigMart wrote:Sour grapes.......

He is making more of a mockery of that ridiculous decision weekly......he is a magpie now, in his heart....
He was a magpie in his heart when he was still at St Kilda.
What a weak thing to say - so he stopped trying did he, and when would that be - that year, 2 years before.....

Maybe you could join those who say he hardly ever played well :shock:
Weak?

Seriously MCG-unit, because I have an opinion on the issue?

I actually was pretty clear in my post that I thought towards the end of 2009.

I never questioned his endeavour, but I have doubted his willingness to play any other role than the one he wanted to play.

....and no, I would never say he hardly ever played well.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
SainterK wrote:
BigMart wrote:Sour grapes.......

He is making more of a mockery of that ridiculous decision weekly......he is a magpie now, in his heart....
He was a magpie in his heart when he was still at St Kilda.
What a weak thing to say - so he stopped trying did he, and when would that be - that year, 2 years before.....

Maybe you could join those who say he hardly ever played well :shock:
Weak?

Seriously MCG-unit, because I have an opinion on the issue?

I actually was pretty clear in my post that I thought towards the end of 2009.

I never questioned his endeavour, but I have doubted his willingness to play any other role than the one he wanted to play.

....and no, I would never say he hardly ever played well.
Sorry I posted too quickly and didn't see your 2nd post about 2009....

Still the footy world saw him bandaged and battered in that GF - which you would think is hardly not trying - or having his heart not at the Saints.
Always thought he gave 100%

Hold your ground :shock:
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Watched the game.

Was livE in Sydney, incredible.

Dawes is a hack. So is brown.

Swan, pendlebury, thomas are guns and need to all be tagged tightly.

Cloke is very dangerous.

Luke ball didn't do much. Kicked a goal.

Johnson and shaw are great players, shaw is very dangerous.

Very good team. Beatable though. I think we could beat them when our guys get more form and fitness.

We really need to start moving the ball quickly so riewoldt can get one on ones, rather than slowing the movement to alloow three players to smother him.

Our slow pace football is really preventing our best player from being able to perform.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
Longwayfromhome
Club Player

Luke Ball didn't do much ??????????????
Thought he played very well. In fact I think he is more than holding his own in a very good Collingwood outfit.
Makes me wonder why Coach Lyon wanted him out.
I keep hearing noises about his inability to kick and his inability to become defensive once the opposition have the ball. Sounds like bulls*** to me and always has.
Luke Ball would destroy half the Lilly livers we have waltzing around the club at the moment.
Wish he was back where he belongs.

Leave your ego's in the locker when you start and pick them up again when you retire
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

ralphsmith wrote:Watched the game.

Was livE in Sydney, incredible.

Dawes is a hack. So is brown.

Swan, pendlebury, thomas are guns and need to all be tagged tightly.

Cloke is very dangerous.

Luke ball didn't do much. Kicked a goal.

Johnson and shaw are great players, shaw is very dangerous.

Very good team. Beatable though. I think we could beat them when our guys get more form and fitness.
Ball would have had over 20 poss - probably in Coll top 5

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:...Ball would have had over 20 poss - probably in Coll top 5
Yep, I would, alas, have to agree. There were his takes from the ball up, his handballs either side, and his left foot kicks (granted about as far as his right foot kicks (40 metres), but better than those (eg in our team) who are hopelessly one sided.

We offered Luke Ball a lot less than he thought he was worth. Collingwood offered him a lot more than every other team (who didn't bid) thought he was worth. They have the flag to resolve the dispute. Just how they were able to fit a fifth rung mid into their salary cap at $500,000 (along with Darren Jolly) remains one of those mysteries that will only be resolved when we have an AFL not totally committed to Collingwood success i.e. never.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Why is this rubbish not on the Opposition Forum?

Please move it.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Do you say that about some of the junk posted on here sometimes - much of it belongs on the GF or nowhere

Richter
SS Life Member

Ball just simply didn't fit in at our club any more. Still wouldn't.

I don't doubt that he has done fine since going to Collingwood. He's an average player in a midfield of few stars (Swan, Pendlebury and Thomas) but great depth. He fits in there.

At St Kilda, there was always the perception of a great player cruelled by injury - he used to be at the level of Dal and Lenny but then Goddard and Montagna overtook him.

In 2008/9 his many limitations were shown up playing for us. He still has those limitations but the Collingwood midfield set-up allows him to play to his strengths. The St Kilda one didn't. No biggie.

The one that really got away was Xavier Clarke, the sort of player we were desperate to make it. That ACL he did just after a few good games at Sandy in ?early 2009 on the comeback trial was a total shocker - if that injury had not happened I dare say we'd have had two premierships by now. A gun, quick, with a lovely kick.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I think luke ball would fit into our side very nicely now....

We just lost a tackling, clearance machine......our midfield is losing at stoppages something horrible.....

Ball would help....

You do not get rid of a luke ball, and replace him with a moron.....

And to throw in a first round pick for fun....

Injury had ravaged ball, maguire and x......but when they all left......we lost three good people out of our organisation....

And bought in a loose cannon with a drinking problem, a massive ego and no willingness to adhere to team standards, or even work hard....

List management gold...

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Injury had ravaged ball, maguire and x......but when they all left......we lost three good people out of our organisation....

And bought in a loose cannon with a drinking problem, a massive ego and no
willingness to adhere to team standards, or even work hard.
Defend Ball all you like.

But I will not let you slam Brett Peake like that :shock:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Shane O'Bree

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I wish we traded our first pick for peake.......although a massive error in judgement, it wouldnt be a total loss....at least he played in the gf....as bad as he was...

Maybe i should just rationalize the trade period as

Luke ball, pick 16, pick 48 for brett peake....thats better, we got something....

He's not currently in the seniors, but he has played.....

avid
Club Player

ralphsmith wrote:Dawes is a hack.
Please tell Collingwood to 'let him go' our way.

If only ...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:Luke Ball left for money plain and simple... can't blame him for that.

I support the Saints, not someone who plays for Collingwood and wasn't willing to make sacrifices to win a flag with the club he once captained.

He wanted to be paid a top 5 in the club salary, while he was playing like a dud.

Left for money but is getting the same at the pies over 3 years. How it that leaving for money? Opportunity is more like it. He was gone at our club.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

lets get something straight
NO ONE here unless you are luke ball himself knows what he is getting paid EACH year and how

fact

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:lets get something straight
NO ONE here unless you are luke ball himself knows what he is getting paid EACH year and how

fact
The pies know but you are right. No one would know. What I do know is he was really struggling at the Saints. Even when playing well in the GF he got less than half a game. So without the knowledge of money opportunity makes sense.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ill say it again

no one here

Leo.J
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Leo.J wrote:Luke Ball left for money plain and simple... can't blame him for that.

Left for money but is getting the same at the pies over 3 years. How it that leaving for money? Opportunity is more like it. He was gone at our club.
He's been at the club for 2 years and he one of the most marketed players. He's on the footy show, he is always doing interviews and advertising.

There is no doubt that the money he left for was not just his player payments. He has been guaranteed a media work and endorsements by Eddy. Chris Judd and Visy style.

Thats the oportunity he left for not playing opportunity.

I don't know about this year but last year he was averaging very similar game time at the Pies as he did at the Saints.

IMO he wasn't willing to make the financial sacrifices that was required of him at the Saints.

I can understand his reasons for going as I said, but also as I said I don't have to like it, or respect him for it.

It doesn't suprise me Plugger that you believe Eddy and Collingwoods version of events, as they used the Herald Sun very well during that time to demonise the Saints.

When what really happened was that Collingwood threw alot of money and financial opportunity at LB, thats the type of oportunity we couldn't match, not the on field stuff.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Longwayfromhome wrote:Luke Ball didn't do much ??????????????
Thought he played very well. In fact I think he is more than holding his own in a very good Collingwood outfit.
Makes me wonder why Coach Lyon wanted him out.
I keep hearing noises about his inability to kick and his inability to become defensive once the opposition have the ball. Sounds like bulls*** to me and always has.
Luke Ball would destroy half the Lilly livers we have waltzing around the club at the moment.
Wish he was back where he belongs.
Yeah i guess it's in the eye of the beholder.

I wached him and thought him to be very average, like when he played for the saints in his final years.

And if we had Jolly, Swan, Pendlebury, Thomas and Wellingham i guarantee Ball would have played "better" at the saints because he wouldnt have so much responsibility.

Unfortunately we only have (had..) one great midfielder in Lenny Hayes so far more weight and responsibility fell on Ball. Something he couldn't handle and was exposed week after week being unable to take the game on, unable to run into position, unable to penetrate the forwardline.

He wasn't worth the money he was on, how could we justifiably keep him?

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Leo.J wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

He's been at the club for 2 years and he one of the most marketed players. He's on the footy show, he is always doing interviews and advertising.

There is no doubt that the money he left for was not just his player payments. He has been guaranteed a media work and endorsements by Eddy. Chris Judd and Visy style.

I don't know about this year but last year he was averaging very similar game time at the Pies as he did at the Saints.

IMO he wasn't willing to make the financial sacrifices that was required of him at the Saints.

I can understand his reasons for going as I said, but also as I said I don't have to like it, or respect him for it.

It doesn't suprise me Plugger that you believe Eddy and Collingwoods version of events, as they used the Herald Sun very well during that time to demonise the Saints.

When what really happened was that Collingwood threw alot of money and financial opportunity at LB, thats the type of oportunity we couldn't match, not the on field stuff.
Great post!

LB is the worst thing to ever happen to the saints...For many reasons...
A club Captain that turned his back on us when we needed ALL the players to stick fat after a demoralising GF loss.

May sound well and truly over dramatic, but if LB was never born, we'd probably have at LEAST 2 more flags. :evil:

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I think luke ball would fit into our side very nicely now....

We just lost a tackling, clearance machine......our midfield is losing at stoppages something horrible.....

Ball would help....

You do not get rid of a luke ball, and replace him with a moron.....

And to throw in a first round pick for fun....

Injury had ravaged ball, maguire and x......but when they all left......we lost three good people out of our organisation....

And bought in a loose cannon with a drinking problem, a massive ego and no willingness to adhere to team standards, or even work hard....

List management gold...

Please continue posting gold like this...

Makes it much easier for myself to sound informative and possessing an intellectual opinion when it is compared and contrasted against 'quality' like the above.

Cheers

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Please tell me how you know all this as fact. If you can post the article it would be great. I dont believe a word Eddie says on this matter. I will common sense that he was struggling for a game at our club and IMO he doubted he was needed by the club at the end of the year especially after the GF. And yea no one has to respect him but hoping a former captain and B&F winner gets his head knocked off to me is a bit much. Unlike some on here I hope no player from any club gets injured. I would think most players from any club are good guys and no one deserves injury.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Greg Denham in the Australian wrote a number of articles weeks before Ball's 'decision' to ask to be traded to Collingwood.

In one of those articles it mentioned the figure of 500k per season and that Collingwood were prepared to agree to that amount.

I don't believe that you actually believe the 'dog and pony show' orchestrated by Collingwood in that HS article on Ball's acceptance of playing for nothing in year 3.

At the time some players (maybe many) believed he left for financial reasons.
I wonder if they still do?