Will soft supporters stick with our club

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:What's the definition of soft supporters. People who don't buy memberships but support or members that like venting on Saintsational?

Are supporters any different at any other club?
Yeah I've got to admit, it is ironic. But hey it all comes down to what your definition of "soft" is and I'm sure you'd find a thousand different (definitions) around this place.

A bit like "real supporters" I still haven't been able to nail a definition down for that one around here.

noddy04
Club Player

spert wrote:
matrix wrote:membership is everything
keeping members happy....keeps members

NOT SENDING ANYONE UP, AND I MEAN NO ONE, TO THE AFTER MATCH FUNCTION IN ADELAIDE AT AAMI IS A DISGRACE!!!!

i understand there was a lose
i understand the team got a bollocking
but send SOMEONE up ffs.

couldve sent the ceo up, the bloke who collects the footys after training
Siposs and Winmar were over apparently, they couldve came up and we could of asked them about sandy and how they are going etc

there was a couple of youngsters up there and i bet they were disappointed
the turn out wasnt the greatest, maybe what 30 of us? but still
i drove 75 kms to get to the game and paid for tickets
you sent me an email stating there would be reps and players from the club at the after match function

youre full of s***, just because of a loss
pathetic
lets email the club, yes lets...so they can do F*** all
the port game come round 16 better have decent treatment of your interstate members st kilda

rant over
Did the SA members officially ask the club leading up to the game, to send someone along- even though they said someone would be present?? If you did, and no one turned up it is unacceptable and the club must value its members no matter where.

My wife, 2 sons and myself have been social club members since 1997, before that we were interstate mambers. Get to melb about 2 times per year excepting finals :). As Matrix said (and it was good to meet you) it was very disappointing that no-one from the club came up. Bruce Eva was the host again. Sold a lot of raffle tickets for the club...Matrix was lucky enough to win a DVD. Also caught up with Saintbrat, Georgie and the great man himself Dools :). Also was asked to help with the banner on the oval Great experience. All Saints members here in SA were sent an email stating the was aftermatch get together and Greg Hutchinson and or a player or 2 would be in attendance but we got zilch :(

noddy04
Club Player

spert wrote:
matrix wrote:membership is everything
keeping members happy....keeps members

NOT SENDING ANYONE UP, AND I MEAN NO ONE, TO THE AFTER MATCH FUNCTION IN ADELAIDE AT AAMI IS A DISGRACE!!!!

i understand there was a lose
i understand the team got a bollocking
but send SOMEONE up ffs.

couldve sent the ceo up, the bloke who collects the footys after training
Siposs and Winmar were over apparently, they couldve came up and we could of asked them about sandy and how they are going etc

there was a couple of youngsters up there and i bet they were disappointed
the turn out wasnt the greatest, maybe what 30 of us? but still
i drove 75 kms to get to the game and paid for tickets
you sent me an email stating there would be reps and players from the club at the after match function

youre full of s***, just because of a loss
pathetic
lets email the club, yes lets...so they can do F*** all
the port game come round 16 better have decent treatment of your interstate members st kilda

rant over
Did the SA members officially ask the club leading up to the game, to send someone along- even though they said someone would be present?? If you did, and no one turned up it is unacceptable and the club must value its members no matter where.

My wife, 2 sons and myself have been social club members since 1997, before that we were interstate members. Get to melb about 2 times per year excepting finals :). As Matrix said (and it was good to meet you) it was very disappointing that no-one from the club came up. Bruce Eva was the host again. Sold a lot of raffle tickets for the club...Matrix was lucky enough to win a DVD. Also caught up with Saintbrat, Georgie and the great man himself Dools :). Also was asked to help with the banner on the oval Great experience. All Saints members here in SA were sent an email stating the was aftermatch get together and Greg Hutchinson and or a player or 2 would be in attendance but we got zilch :(

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:What's the definition of soft supporters. People who don't buy memberships but support or members that like venting on Saintsational?

My opinion of a soft supporter is one that can afford a membership and gets one when we are going well but as soon as we drop down the ladder whinges and doesnt buy a membership. IMO everyone has the right to whinge is you buy a membership but if you give up because we are no good then you are soft. Prepared to follow in the good times but not the so ordinary times.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:My opinion of a soft supporter is one that can afford a membership and gets one when we are going well but as soon as we drop down the ladder whinges and doesnt buy a membership. IMO everyone has the right to whinge is you buy a membership but if you give up because we are no good then you are soft. Prepared to follow in the good times but not the so ordinary times.
i'm prepared to buy a membership in bad times (but then i can afford it) - what i'm less likely to do is strive to get to 15 games a year. it's not good for my mental state to watch 10 floggings in six months.

St Lenny
Club Player

Sainternist wrote:
noblejohn wrote:
St Lenny wrote:Was talking to someone last night who had last years membership scarf on and I asked why he wasnt wearing this years. He said a scarf didnt come with the type of membership he had!!!!!!!!!! I told him that was bull that you get a scarf with all memberships. Long story, but turns out his son has turned 18 so had to pay for an adult membership. He didnt want to pay it, so gave up his and two kids memberships. Pathetic :roll:
Why pathetic
Maybe he just couldn't afford it
i'm with you, noblejohn.

spare a thought for those who have to buy memberships for not only themselves, but their family/children as well. very harsh words, st.lenny.
Have a re read. He said he didn't get a scarf with his type of membership (he didn't have a membership) so why lie if he cant afford it. Then he complained because his sons membership went up because he was an adult. And he was really cranky about that. So my point is, dont lie. If you cant afford it fair enough. But he cancelled all three. And trust me, he can afford it.

Megsie
Club Player

Aren't these BARRACKERS called " fairweather BARRACKERS" !!!!!

Supporters SUPPORT...........Thru Good & Bad times. Glad i can hold my

head up high & say I'll always SUPPORT MY CLUB....no matter where

we are on the ladder !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! because THE'RE MY CLUB.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

A "no show" @ the after match function in Adelaide was REPREHENSIBLE and underlines my view that for all the platitudes that flow from the marketing department, the conclusion I've come to is that members are seen ONLY as a means of raising revenue. Sorry, but the actions of the club do not compare favourably with their words! :cry:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:A "no show" @ the after match function in Adelaide was REPREHENSIBLE and underlines my view that for all the platitudes that flow from the marketing department, the conclusion I've come to is that members are seen ONLY as a means of raising revenue. Sorry, but the actions of the club do not compare favourably with their words! :cry:
I may be wrong but I think they stopped after matches last year and that is why they now do a preseason visit to all the states.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:A "no show" @ the after match function in Adelaide was REPREHENSIBLE and underlines my view that for all the platitudes that flow from the marketing department, the conclusion I've come to is that members are seen ONLY as a means of raising revenue. Sorry, but the actions of the club do not compare favourably with their words! :cry:
I may be wrong but I think they stopped after matches last year and that is why they now do a preseason visit to all the states.
did that last year not this - despite early plans to do so...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
noblejohn wrote:
St Lenny wrote:Was talking to someone last night who had last years membership scarf on and I asked why he wasnt wearing this years. He said a scarf didnt come with the type of membership he had!!!!!!!!!! I told him that was bull that you get a scarf with all memberships. Long story, but turns out his son has turned 18 so had to pay for an adult membership. He didnt want to pay it, so gave up his and two kids memberships. Pathetic :roll:
Why pathetic
Maybe he just couldn't afford it
i'm with you, noblejohn.

spare a thought for those who have to buy memberships for not only themselves, but their family/children as well. very harsh words, st.lenny.
Have a re read. He said he didn't get a scarf with his type of membership (he didn't have a membership) so why lie if he cant afford it. Then he complained because his sons membership went up because he was an adult. And he was really cranky about that. So my point is, dont lie. If you cant afford it fair enough. But he cancelled all three. And trust me, he can afford it.
then if that's the case, i take it back, st.lenny. i guess one could consider this person a "soft supporter".

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Megsie
Club Player

I remember when just watching your team play each week & hoping like hell that they would win was enough to take us back each week. Now it's simply they don't turn up to functions for us! they don't treat us correctly anymore!! Who cares if a scarf doesn't arrive....keep ringing until you get it if you can't live without it. It's your club........i love this club unconditionally !!!!!!!!!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Megsie wrote:I remember when just watching your team play each week & hoping like hell that they would win was enough to take us back each week. Now it's simply they don't turn up to functions for us! they don't treat us correctly anymore!! Who cares if a scarf doesn't arrive....keep ringing until you get it if you can't live without it. It's your club........i love this club unconditionally !!!!!!!!!
+1

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

My opinion of a soft supporter is one that can afford a membership and gets one when we are going well but as soon as we drop down the ladder whinges and doesnt buy a membership. IMO everyone has the right to whinge is you buy a membership but if you give up because we are no good then you are soft. Prepared to follow in the good times but not the so ordinary times.
As an example, I went to the Suns / Essendon game to keep a fellow Coaster company and get a footy fix when in Melb last weekend.

The queues at the ticket windows were fifty deep with black and red people buying tickets.

If they were members they'd be strolling straight up and scanning their membership card barcodes.

Front running duds the old Bombers-folk. Have always thought it. My experience at Etihad confirmed it.

That is, Bombers people are soft supporters.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
PJ
SS Life Member

They will if you throw them hard enough

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Been a member for 35 years, compared to the late 70's and all of the 80's the last few years have been brilliant. I will continue to buy my membership until I drop off the perch. Love my saints!!!

widereceiver
Club Player

I have been a member (although the bungling membership department refuses to acknowledge it) from 1957-65 and 1978- present. I lived overseas in the middle years and my Dad and I missed the one flag.

I have stood in the rain at Moorabbin and watched us be shat upon by real teams while my Saints battled to a five goal loss and, loved it, because they are my team and they were doing the best they could with what they had.

I have been critical of some of the players this year - not the foot soldiers - but the much-vaunted stars, who have been very poor this season, and the coaching strategies, which have been less than convincing.
SOS departs - our defence turns to crap.
Even when Lenny was playing, and it is he I go to watch every week, the midfield was being smashed.
Our attack is in total disarray, our best forward and captain is being destroyed by sub-standard delivery by the midfield. Maybe those players are being poorly coached by one of our greatest-ever players or maybe they're not up to it.

Maybe, the revisionists in the media are right - summit fatigue.

I appreciate the heights we have ascended to and, like all of us, am gutted by our failure to convert one of three GFs into another flag, but I will support the club through this next inevitable plummet. No matter how well we do, I almost couldn't stand to win the flag without Lendog, our spiritual captain (IMO).

If I see players being complacent and downright soft, I will say so. If that makes me soft a propos the original rubbish post, so be it.

PS For those who were really back in the black days, I never bagged Kane Taylor, who played to his limit. Craig Davenport? Oh yeah! Underachiever.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Soft or not when a club goes bad on the field fans drop off, it happens at all clubs..just the way it is and nothing will stop it, not even back slapping threads like this or desperate pleas from the club.
Every club has it's stalwarts , members through thick and thin as I have been for over 30 yrs but I have to tell yas I have just about had enough, getting ready for retirement and the loss of all losses against the Skunks has made me rethink my annual wallet drain. I may let my membership run out at the end of this season , calling me soft or whatever will be water off a ducks backs , I've done the hard yards and enjoyed every bit of it..even the long train trips to Moorabbin to witness loss after loss.
I will soon be a plasma warrior safe in the knowledge that the club will survive without my monetary input and that the likes of shaking cans at SOS campaigns will always be nothing but a distant memory.

Go Saints (in a slightly different way)

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

As an example, I went to the Suns / Essendon game to keep a fellow Coaster company and get a footy fix when in Melb last weekend.

The queues at the ticket windows were fifty deep with black and red people buying tickets.

If they were members they'd be strolling straight up and scanning their membership card barcodes.

Front running duds the old Bombers-folk. Have always thought it. My experience at Etihad confirmed it.

Not sure that's correct Thinline. Every Essendon home game at Etihad, every person who enters the ground must have a designated seat. I have a close mate who is a bombers members and it sh!ts him to tears that he has to queue up every home game at Etihad to get his reserved seat even though he stands. Has nothing to do with membership as regardless of whether you are a member or not this is the case, unlike the saints who can just scan and go up to level 3 at home games.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Not sure that's correct Thinline. Every Essendon home game at Etihad, every person who enters the ground must have a designated seat. I have a close mate who is a bombers members and it sh!ts him to tears that he has to queue up every home game at Etihad to get his reserved seat even though he stands. Has nothing to do with membership as regardless of whether you are a member or not this is the case, unlike the saints who can just scan and go up to level 3 at home games.
I prefer to think of them as soft thanks very much 8-)

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Moods wrote:
Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I prefer to think of them as soft thanks very much 8-)
Fair enough then :)

matrix
Saintsational Legend

well said noddy
those who were there did make it ok
but send someone up from the club ffs
they have a chance to fix this come round 16 against port...and better

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Hey Megsie and Doc! Of course I love the club unconditionally ( you don't have the monopoly on that!) My dear old mammy loved me unconditionally (God help 'er :roll: ) but it did NOT mean that she didn't criticise me or scold me when necessary. I get a wee bit sick of this "love affair" with the club being a one-way street, and damn straight they should have had SOMEONE at the function!!!! I'll support this club till I'm just a distant memory for my family to smile about, but I will criticise whenever I feel it necessary to do so!
Actually, just MAYBE one of the reasons we have been such a joke during our history is precisely because our "loyal" supporters were prepared to suffer in silence? I don't see any merit whatsoever in accepting crap as a way to "demonstrate loyalty". Time to lose the hair shirts! Time to start making feelings known! There is NO WAY I will dispense with my membership or drop off the club, however, I will express my criticisms any damn time I wish! To blindly accept situations only compounds them, It's all in HOW those criticisms are made.
Rant over :D GO SAINTS!!!!!

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Hey Megsie and Doc! Of course I love the club unconditionally ( you don't have the monopoly on that!) My dear old mammy loved me unconditionally (God help 'er :roll: ) but it did NOT mean that she didn't criticise me or scold me when necessary. I get a wee bit sick of this "love affair" with the club being a one-way street, and damn straight they should have had SOMEONE at the function!!!! I'll support this club till I'm just a distant memory for my family to smile about, but I will criticise whenever I feel it necessary to do so!
Actually, just MAYBE one of the reasons we have been such a joke during our history is precisely because our "loyal" supporters were prepared to suffer in silence? I don't see any merit whatsoever in accepting crap as a way to "demonstrate loyalty". Time to lose the hair shirts! Time to start making feelings known! There is NO WAY I will dispense with my membership or drop off the club, however, I will express my criticisms any damn time I wish! To blindly accept situations only compounds them, It's all in HOW those criticisms are made.
Rant over :D GO SAINTS!!!!!
Is it just me Jigster or are you criticising a lot more than you ever have?

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

errrrrrr! YES! but DOES NOT mean I care any less for the club :D
Just not prepared to "go quietly" and after all, if we don't TALK about it how are we ever to solve the problem?