A win tonight and...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markp
Saintsational Legend

A win tonight and...

We're only 2 wins out of the top 4.

I have adopted the attitude that 2011 is just a very long pre-season for 2012... but, while it seems apparent we are tinkering with gameplan and personnel, and the loss of Hayes is a monumental one, are we really so putrid that we cant turn it around in the short-term and be a threat again come September?

Seems to me this group has always looked awful when they're only a few % off....

If we win tonight, could there still be a pulse for 2011?

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

If we win tonight we don't turn the life support machine off for another week.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'll tell you one thing, Collingwood and Geelong would be very happy to see us miss the 8. Although we are playing some awful footy at the moment, we have beaten both of them with the same list we have now…
Early
Days

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Re: A win tonight and...

markp wrote:We're only 2 wins out of the top 4.

I have adopted the attitude that 2011 is just a very long pre-season for 2012... but, while it seems apparent we are tinkering with gameplan and personnel, and the loss of Hayes is a monumental one, are we really so putrid that we cant turn it around in the short-term and be a threat again come September?

Seems to me this group has always looked awful when they're only a few % off....

If we win tonight, could there still be a pulse for 2011?
Of course there is. It's just that some exceptionally lacklustre performances have indicated that at this point in time there is little chance of that happening. But for shocking kicking at goal we would be 4-1 & right in the mix.

At present I expect us to have a similar home & away year to 2007... struggle for half the year then charge home & either sneak into the 8 or just miss out.

We could be a real nasty side to contend with come September should we make it. Especially if we have close to a full deck of players to choose from & the kids have a full year of experience to draw on.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Re: A win tonight and...

Animal Enclosure wrote:At present I expect us to have a similar home & away year to 2007... struggle for half the year then charge home & either sneak into the 8 or just miss out.

We could be a real nasty side to contend with come September should we make it. Especially if we have close to a full deck of players to choose from & the kids have a full year of experience to draw on.
Agree with the first sentence... like the second!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

If the season is to be alive, tonight is non-negotiable. Simply must win. Any other result is death knell 2011.

If it makes any sense, I'm content either way. Rebuild/refresh now is smart. I also like beating Carlton.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Snap up the $3 for us to win tonight, and get on Cripps for 1st Goal at $51.

Here we come!!

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I'll tell you one thing, Collingwood and Geelong would be very happy to see us miss the 8. Although we are playing some awful footy at the moment, we have beaten both of them with the same list we have now…
Early
Days
I don't think we will be showing up on the Pies or Cats radar at the moment.

This reminds me of the comment that Alistair Clarkson made in his press conference after Freo pulled their pants down in the elimination final last year. He said something like " the remaining finalists would be relieved the Hawks had been knocked out" It's a comment that smacks of looking backwards. For some reason everyone thought the Hawks were going to be the challengers to the Pies this year. Maybe they swallowed Clarkson arrogance.

As is the saying, what happened in the past is in the past. It has very little to do with future success.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Boys allowed themselves to be talked into a form slump.

Wasn't actualy there.

Someone just needs to talk them out of one now.

I'll do it, get me in the rooms Rossy :wink:

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

Confidence is the thing that's been lacking to date and badly - eg Roo and BJ dropping simple chest marks, poor disposal etc.
Get going with a bang from the first bounce tonight and their confidence will build and build and build resulting in four quarters of football they are capable of and then the winning edge.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Boys allowed themselves to be talked into a form slump.

Wasn't actualy there.
Interesting. I've been thinking the same thing.

The difference between it being a genuine 'form slump', or us 'just warming up to our best footy' is Milne and Archer's missed set shots against Richmond, and Jason Blake's brain fade against Geelong!

It really is a game of inches sometimes.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

A win tonight and they're delivering something very different to what's been seen so far in 2011.

Carlton are tough at the clearances, and are tackling with real hunger. The latter was a key to the Saints as recently as October. The former hasn't really been a strength since 2009.

With the season standings being so close at this point, if the Saints can show the game that could/should beat Carlton (and it's in them somewhere...), I'll back them to get themselves back on track regardless. If they serve up the stuff of the 1st half against Adelaide, the 2nd qtr against Richmond etc, then it's going to be a long night.

After a decade of being able to expect to beat Carlton, I'm still not ready to see them recover...

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
dragit wrote:I'll tell you one thing, Collingwood and Geelong would be very happy to see us miss the 8. Although we are playing some awful footy at the moment, we have beaten both of them with the same list we have now…
Early
Days

This reminds me of the comment that Alistair Clarkson made in his press conference after Freo pulled their pants down in the elimination final last year. He said something like " the remaining finalists would be relieved the Hawks had been knocked out" It's a comment that smacks of looking backwards. For some reason everyone thought the Hawks were going to be the challengers to the Pies this year. Maybe they swallowed Clarkson arrogance.

As is the saying, what happened in the past is in the past. It has very little to do with future success.
So you don't use any past events to help form your ideas of what the future may hold?
Collingwood losing only a couple of their past 25 matches doesn't suggest to you that they will probably win this week, this year?

Do you prefer tarot cards?

If Montagna's goal had not been dubiously reversed against the Cats, we would have beaten them, as we often have over the past couple of years… they would not like to meet us in a final, guaranteed…

My comments are from going way back in time, long, long ago to round 1 and the grand final we nearly won, 8 games ago…

Clarkson is a wanker, but he was probably right, they had beaten Collingwood the week before and when playing well can challenge any side.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Early
Days

So you don't use any past events to help form your ideas of what the future may hold?
Collingwood losing only a couple of their past 25 matches doesn't suggest to you that they will probably win this week, this year?

Do you prefer tarot cards?

If Montagna's goal had not been dubiously reversed against the Cats, we would have beaten them, as we often have over the past couple of years… they would not like to meet us in a final, guaranteed…

My comments are from going way back in time, long, long ago to round 1 and the grand final we nearly won, 8 games ago…

Clarkson is a wanker, but he was probably right, they had beaten Collingwood the week before and when playing well can challenge any side.
Essendon was capable of challenging any side the last few years (on it's day) but not when the finals came around and that is where the Hawks are at. The Hawthorn team collectively peform like Buddy, when he's on he's very good which seems to occur with lesser frequency as his career goes along.

St Lenny
Club Player

SainterK wrote:Boys allowed themselves to be talked into a form slump.

Wasn't actualy there.

Someone just needs to talk them out of one now.

I'll do it, get me in the rooms Rossy :wink:
Lets pray none of the players come on here then. I have to pinch myself sometimes to believe its a Saints forum.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Geez, all this positive talk.

Are you guys on the hippy juice or something? :lol:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Hippy Juice! giime that hippy juice (to the tune of happy feet? :shock: ) :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)