Value for money

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Value for money

Ross reckons saints fans got 'value for money' last night...

what do you reckon?

#1 Ryder fan
SteveStevens66
Club Player

It's one thing to say that when you win but it just doesn't sound appropriate when you lose and especially given our current predicament.

Carna Saints!!!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

they tried their guts out, mistakes in the second quarter killed us... so yes I came away feeling for the first time this year that I had got my moneys worth.....

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

When you're clinging to a fading hope of making finals it might not seem like it. If you've already conceded the season then definitely. Last night was very educational... Armo and Cripps are part of our future, Siposs and Steven are likely, Dempster, McQualter and Clarke are not, and the sooner Blake and Baker retire the better. Give Blake his 200th and say adieu.

Oh, also - anyone who says the game has passed Milne has their head up their arse... I for one hope he has another three years in him. Irreplaceable.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
St Lenny
Club Player

No one likes to loose, but it was a great game, we were stiff. But I cant be unhappy with last night, played like the Saints of old.

NoMore
Club Player

I'm sorry but "Value for Money". Catch cry of a loser. As far as i am concerned u win or u lose. There is no value in losing

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Just a phrase uttered when totally drained and one that he'd probably regret this morning but I know what he means in the context of having a crack. I enjoyed our effort immensely.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
older saint
SS Life Member

They competed and gave effort. That is what i was looking for, had not expectation of winning, so yes value for money!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

NoMore wrote:I'm sorry but "Value for Money". Catch cry of a loser. As far as i am concerned u win or u lose. There is no value in losing
Tough guy. Nuts like cannonballs. Keyboard of granite.

Give me a break...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
NoMore
Club Player

C'mon Thinline we have had years of "value for money" what we want is a flag. "Value for money" just doesn't cut it

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

NoMore wrote:C'mon Thinline we have had years of "value for money" what we want is a flag. "Value for money" just doesn't cut it
I'm easily pleased then.

I went last night with the expectation of losing, honestly, thought given last year they towelled us by 68, and this time we were going in Lenny-less....

What I got was a contest, a tight fierce contest from some guys who appear to be finally mastering a slightly new approach, and also finally appear to be running into some form.

Saints fans have been spoiled, we had a time were we would turn up expecting to win.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if RL was refering to giving the supporters what they want and that is playing new players.

We've found a couple of keepers.

I'd love to see what Lynch can do.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

NoMore wrote:C'mon Thinline we have had years of "value for money" what we want is a flag. "Value for money" just doesn't cut it
We've had our shot for now. We was robbed, we blinked, whatever. We need to be smarter. As supporters I think we need to wise up to the fact that this year ain't about winning anymore, it's about rolling the dice on a fresh crop to make our bottom six a cluster of polished performers and weeding out the blokes who've held us back or been carried or who time has passed by. I suspect RL and the club is further advanced down that path than we give them credit for because we're so used to doing well week in week out.

NoMore
Club Player

Thinline wrote:
We've had our shot for now. We was robbed, we blinked, whatever. We need to be smarter. As supporters I think we need to wise up to the fact that this year ain't about winning anymore, it's about rolling the dice on a fresh crop to make our bottom six a cluster of polished performers and weeding out the blokes who've held us back or been carried or who time has passed by. I suspect RL and the club is further advanced down that path than we give them credit for because we're so used to doing well week in week out.
Couldn't agree more
But don't trott out this value for money crap. Call it exactly like that. Say "Geez there was alot to like about our kids tonight. Did you see Sippos' goal late under pressure. We will get there" Not the fans got value for money. We don't pay to watch them get close

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

He's not a freaking robot. He's a coach. He uttered a well worn phrase in the heat of a media conference after he'd just been through the wringer. Jesus, mate. You don't think you're reaching a bit??

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Most enjoyable loss for years.

It's praccy match time - winning ain't everything now.

Sippo reminds me of a young and raw Dal Santo circa 2002.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

If nothing else I was delighted to see an 18 year old on debut OWN a moment.

In an era of role players, that's kind of moment has been lacking.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Most enjoyable loss for years.

Love is goal celebration too.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:

Pumped! Just a bit.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Pumped! Just a bit.
With a name like Siposs it wouldn't surprise if he ripped his jumper off and run like mad to the cheer squad then slid anlong the grass on his knees with his arms raised skywards. F*** I'd love to see an AFL player do that one day. Talkback radio would go nuts. Overnight sensation.
Last edited by Cairnsman on Tue 10 May 2011 12:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

markp
Saintsational Legend

It was an epic first goal for the kid, from well inside the square... just about money's worth there alone.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

The value is that we saw an inspired comeback, against a very good side. They gave it absolutely everything, it's an oval ball which bounces strangely, it was a great game of football, we didn't win, you can't ask for more

If you only pay to see them win, find a new team…

IMO - Last night was much better 'value' than the early win against the dogs last year - which was like being at the dentist.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:The value is that we saw an inspired comeback, against a very good side. They gave it absolutely everything, it's an oval ball which bounces strangely, it was a great game of football, we didn't win, you can't ask for more

If you only pay to see them win, find a new team...
+1

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Great to see some good sense prevailing here for a change. 8-)

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
deadman walking
Club Player

we lost you call that value for money