MRP - Joey 1 game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

They have to appeal this,
I just watched this again,
The reason he bumps into him is that the ball is being bounced… like every other stoppage.
At that stage there is no way that Curnow is trying to leave the field, this happens later when a trainer waves him off.
Montagna doesn't even touch his shoulder, his elbow brushes Curnows midriff…
I'm not into targeting injured players, but seriously if he was deemed fit enough to come back on by the doctors, how on earth would the saints players know what his condition is?

Should they tackle more lightly anyone who looks tired or sore? BS

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

CURLY wrote:Im sick and tired of people saying Zac or Joey deserved a week for being stupid. FFS there is no rule against that. If your even comparing what Joey did to what happened to Roo your also kidding yourself. The Brisbane players didnt just do it once they continued until Hamill and co intervened. Even still Roo was fair game as was Curnow. Get off the ground if your hurt.
Where the hell do you think he was going?? Just going for a Sunday stroll around the field :roll: He was running off the ground holding his shoulder and Joey ran off his line and bumped him....

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Im sick and tired of people saying Zac or Joey deserved a week for being stupid. FFS there is no rule against that. If your even comparing what Joey did to what happened to Roo your also kidding yourself. The Brisbane players didnt just do it once they continued until Hamill and co intervened. Even still Roo was fair game as was Curnow. Get off the ground if your hurt.
Wasnt he walking off? :roll:

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

He was trying to and got bumped by Joey. Rooy wasnt fair game and neither was Curnow. Players should respect other players when obviously injured.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote: By the way why I a tool. Is it because I see things clearly and not through fogged up eyes like some.
F
I
G
J
A
M

Just sayin'. Again.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Tue 10 May 2011 5:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
He was trying to and got bumped by Joey. Rooy wasnt fair game and neither was Curnow. Players should respect other players when obviously injured.
Of course Roo was and hes even said so himself. Curnow was involved in the next contest fair game as much as anyone. He then went to the bench after the throw in.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Of course Roo was and hes even said so himself. Curnow was involved in the next contest fair game as much as anyone. He then went to the bench after the throw in.
Pretty sure Rooy never said that but even if he did one thing has happened since than. There has been a rule change that every plays knows about. Can i ask you what was the point of Joey doing what he did?

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

CURLY wrote:
Curnow was not involved in the next contest. He was hunched over, holding his shoulder and walking away.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Pretty sure Rooy never said that but even if he did one thing has happened since than. There has been a rule change that every plays knows about. Can i ask you what was the point of Joey doing what he did?
Does it matter? Seriously if that what warrants a week its a joke. Curnow had no trainers near him and wasnt getting off the ground. If your hurt get the #%^& off the ground. He minged around and was in no hurry.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Curnow is standing directly where the ball is about to be thrown in, Montagna is setting himself for the throw-in and bumps into him VERY lightly in the MID-RIFF - not the shoulder.

He's not attacking a player who trying get off the ground. He's getting ready for a stoppage - where Curnow is standing exactly in the middle of…

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Here is the footage. You just click on "video" on the top left of the box above the photo. It's about 20 seconds in:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/n ... 6053074940

I don't like what he did, as it's weak as piss, but that's the first time I've seen it and it is so soft it isn't funny:
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Tue 10 May 2011 5:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Do any of you seriously think that while the ball is being thrown in, Montagna goes out of his way to rough-up an injured player? No way.
I can't believe this…

dragit
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Here is the footage. You just click on "video" on the top left of the box above the photo. It's about 20 seconds in:

I don't like what he did, as it's weak as piss, but that's the first time I've seen it and it is so soft it isn't funny:
Notice that 1 second after Montagna makes contact, Jason Blake is seen looking up at the ball which is coming down?
Middle of a friggin' stoppage!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Here is the footage. You just click on "video" on the top left of the box above the photo. It's about 20 seconds in:

Notice that 1 second after Montagna makes contact, Jason Blake is seen looking up at the ball which is coming down?
So he couldnt avoid him and unluckily hit him in the injured shoulder. You are probably right, it seems like pure bad luck.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Brand conscious marketing drones gone well and truly mad. Insanity. Fight it. Soft stoppage-based bump. Next you won't be allowed to bump blokes with shoulders taped. Silliness.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:

So he couldnt avoid him and unluckily hit him in the injured shoulder. You are probably right, it seems like pure bad luck.
Firstly, he doesn't even make contact with his shoulder…
Secondly the ball is about to land on Curnow's head, should all the saints players wait till he is safely off the ground before attempting to go for the footy?
There isn't a whole lot of time (5-6 sec) between the Dal Santo tackle and the throw-in, Montagna has run from 50 metres away to make the next contest, He probably hasn't even noticed Curnow hunching until he bumps into him (VERY LIGHTLY)

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

baker would've gone for the season for that - i'd take the week. wish he hadn't done it - i'm getting the roo tears crap again at work!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
widereceiver
Club Player

I don't think Joey will look back on it as his proudest moment.

BUT

If the week stands, the next time it happens, there better be some consistency.

FAT CHANCE with the kangaroo court, lezzie, mumbo-jumbo MRP.

Fair dinkum, the AFL is as soft as butter these days.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'm telling you, the only thing Montagna would have been thinking about was the ball coming down 1 second later.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:

Watch any clearance body contact is pivotal in winning a position to get the ball.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:

Firstly, he doesn't even make contact with his shoulder…
Secondly the ball is about to land on Curnow's head, should all the saints players wait till he is safely off the ground before attempting to go for the footy?
There isn't a whole lot of time (5-6 sec) between the Dal Santo tackle and the throw-in, Montagna has run from 50 metres away to make the next contest, He probably hasn't even noticed Curnow hunching until he bumps into him (VERY LIGHTLY)
Firstly he does hit him the shoulder and secondly he even clinches his teeth as he bumps him. I have know idea about 50 metres but as you got the rest of it wrong I will gues that is wrong to.

It was soft but it was unnecessary. And yes they should fight it because he has nothing to lose apart from a few extra points.

ando051
Club Player

What Joey done was stupid, he deserves a week for being dumb. As a club we should know that you can not interfere with an injured player, while he is in the hand of the trainers or making his way off the ground.

Kosi also bumped Curnow (Wrong Shoulder) but the difference was Carlton had treated him and decided to let him return to the field of play, IMO that then makes him fair game. No injured player should be touched until they have received medical treatment>.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

should not have done it....looked bad ...was bad...and he has let the side down in copping a week......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:should not have done it....looked bad ...was bad...and he has let the side down in copping a week......
It was a close game last night and maybe Zac would have made a difference.

All players have to be smart enough to avoid missing games for the sort of things Zac and Joey did. If you cop someone high in the full heat of battle then so be it.

But these sort of actions are just foolish and they cost the team.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:...Joey was an idiot and should have focused more on getting clearances than bumping an obviously injured player.
Agree, although he hasn't managed to get these clearances in eight years. He does run all day and can kick to position well when running into the forward area. He still gets caught in the headlights when with the ball on the backline, looking downfield first, then inboard second, then again downfield, by which time, play on has been called and panic sets in. For all but the very elite players, the first option is invariably the best. From that position he should go down the line, where the ball can forced out closer to our goal. Also, for a player of his size, his lack of goal kicking ability is a real minus. Once again, like a few others, he seems mesmerized or terrified by the posts. Compare this with Stephen Milne, who licks his lips every time the ball comes near him because he wants to put it through.