Stick Fat Saints, Have Faith in Ross Lyon!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Wouldnt have a clue is RL is the answer but please, there is no reloading in 2012. Our run is over so it is time to draft and trade for a future in 5-7 years time. It aint happening next year.
So you dont think we can have one more crack?

If this is the case we need to offload a whole bunch of players and hunker down to about 2015-2016
I have never read or seen a side make the top 4 for 3 years in a row then drop to 10-12th on the ladder and then go again. We are an old side with inexperienced youngters that will still be inexperienced next year. After that it is way to late.
this is spot on, we are unlikely to be a threat again for a number of years, and the young blokes such as Sipposs and Cripps are probably 3 years from there absolute best. By that time most of our guns will be nearing 30.
The filth are a good example of this, 2 shots at the flag, dropped out for a number of years until they were able to challange again with a fresh group. But we can't keep drafting the likes of mcqualtrt and dempster, that style has been worked out, we seem to be slow in realizing this,

I love this club
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

sRaf wrote:People saying 'back the coach' are just caught up in the moment. It's as much his fault as the players who have not been able to string two good quarters together all year.

Confidence? Game plan? I don't know, but from the looks of it it's something that appears to be unsolvable in the short term.
sorry :wink:

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Just don't pick McQualter next week, if he does, then that shows he has his favourites and that can be the death of a coach.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Dal_santos_gal wrote:
If the typical St Kilda mentality kicks in.. when things are going wrong hey lets SACK THE COACH, I am going to go off my freaking rocker...

Sack Ross Lyon and I tell you what this club is rooted... JUST FOR ONCE in this clubs over 130 year history PLEASE STICK F$%KING FAT...

History tells me to start feeling uneasy and I am just hoping for the love of this Football club, stick true, believe in the processes that have been put into place since Ross has been at the club...

This man who has got us to 2 (3) Grand Finals and a prelim in the past 3 seasons gone. He is no mug, HELL most of the clubs are now playing the push up man game plan that we the St Kilda footy club started back in 2009..... Ross Lyon and our group of players made a mark in the history of the game with the way it is played.

Please I beg you Westaway and Co, Stick true, believe in what has almost brought us success and keep going with our great coach.

+1 !!!!!!!

:D

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Keep Lyon until the end of the season, see who else is on offer and consider a new coach in 2012 if someone of quality stands out, otherwise persist with Ross in 2012.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Players having a crack

Fisher
Armo
Siposs
Dempster (yes Dempster)
Schneids
Milne
Roo.
Add Polo and Cripps to that list, IMHO.

As for the "gameplan" debate, yes it is rather simplistic. Ross is more than capable of coming up with a winning gameplan, it's just that the players aren't executing right now. Although the weight of history is against us, I'm hoping that we'll hit form in the 2nd half of this year and in 2012 we'll see RL's saints v. 2.0 shoot back up the ladder.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:
Players having a crack

Fisher
Armo
Siposs
Dempster (yes Dempster)
Schneids
Milne
Roo.
Add Polo and Cripps to that list, IMHO.

As for the "gameplan" debate, yes it is rather simplistic. Ross is more than capable of coming up with a winning gameplan, it's just that the players aren't executing right now. Although the weight of history is against us, I'm hoping that we'll hit form in the 2nd half of this year and in 2012 we'll see RL's saints v. 2.0 shoot back up the ladder.
People bang on about Lyon's defensive game plan being out of date but I didn't see much defense in the last 3 quarters!

Things will need to change going forward but I see no reason why Ross shouldn't be, and wouldn't be, the one entrusted to implement those changes.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Bring in his great mate Roos as a sounding board ASAP.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

true. what about tackling technique? every time we got tackled we spilled it for a turnover. every time we tackled someone they were able to break it or still get an effective handball off. i was pulling my hair out. i was really swearing. havent been that frustrated in years.

is it technique or just not committing to the contest? are we weak in the body or the mind? i dont know. but it was a real drubbing. men against boys stuff. the scoreboard really flattered us.

kalsaint
Club Player

battye wrote:Good post, I'm not sure why anyone would think sacking RL is the answer. The truth is he came up with a fantastic game plan, it was innovative and served us well for many years. But the rest of the league has caught up and sadly bettered it before we could win a flag. So now it's back to the drawing board for RL, make a new game plan and use the rest of this season to develop it. Burst out of the gates in 2012.
While I dont agree with the "Sack the coach theme" I predicted the 2009 game plan was in need of change immediately after the 2009 season GF.

Lets face it, we had a wonderful season in terms of low injuries and ability to sustain a new plan. As the seaon progressed the big wins declined and the second half margin was closer to 20 points rather than 58 points for the full season.

Others were already coming to play again the plan and progressed this to greater heights in 2010 as we all know.

The question isl Why couldn't the Saints coaching team not see this and make the change rather than blindly follow a plan that was now not the best in the league?
Granted it served us well to get through missing Roo for half the season and got us to the grand final. It might be disputed that a fortuitous free after Ling kicked a late goal progressed the Saints beyond expectation of the greater football society.
We also had Lenny who championed the lead and effort needed to play this game plan brilliantly, with a dominant Roo and stronger ruck strength than in the last 15 years that converted to clearances.

Now, no strength in rucks, no Lenny, no clearances, no speed, and inaccuraccy in front of goal preside. Why? Some of this is due to plan, some due to fitness to play the plan, some is non belief in the currebnt plan. It needs change before Ross goes to measure the real success of the man.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I am not worried by the club sacking Ross, as much as I am of him walking, if the players continue with their pathetic efforts.

The Sainter
Club Player

I haven't said to sack the coach but how in hell's name does he keep giving regular games to Dempster, McQualter, Dawson and Kosi to name four. Also Gram and Jones surely must be on thin ice too. Three grand finals is a great coaching effort but Ross, stop playing your favourites which also includes Baker but at least he has given his all for us as has Blake.
We will not play finals this year so now is the time to add even some more young players into the team and unlike you did with Archer play them for at least 3 games to see what they can do. We may get some hidings doing this but we will find out whether they are our future, the four I named first certainly are not.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I am not worried by the club sacking Ross, as much as I am of him walking, if the players continue with their pathetic efforts.

+1. yep. melbourne might be hiring. hed be tempted to walk.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Has Ross lost the players for some reason or another.?

Quixote
SS Life Member

Reckon we're no chance of sacking him. As someone else mentioned, my bigger worry would be him walking. If he did, though - by god I'd be pissed off and mine and I'd think a LOT of other people's respect for Lyon would disappear.

CON makes a good point about tackling. How come ours don't bloody stick?? And theirs do?? Why the hell does the ball always seem to bounce out of a tackle to the opposition? Where'd that Taekwondo guy go? And what the feck has happened to our midfield (besides the obvious)?

Also - I'd be in favour of getting an experienced assistant or two back at the Club. A Roos type? Ahhhh YEP. Not sure about this new crop.

Also Also - we DID play well in Q1. And we ARE evolving our gameplan. Yes I'm 98% conceding this year, but strongly believe with a bunch of new players blooded, and a fresh start mentally, it could be game on again in 2012.

98% conceding I says. Not 100%. Yet.
Shame is every round is now watershed :shock:

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Quixote
SS Life Member

PS: The need for cleanout/refresh is as much mental as physical with this group. They're probably fried/frazzled already with this season. Can't imagine how they're going to front up for another 2.5 months of it. Psychologically, it feels like they'll have to hit rock bottom, say stuff it, we're gone, we give up for a while - let's just go out and play good fun aggressive attacking footy. We've got nothing to lose because in reality - we've already lost everything. Let's swallow that pill, accept it and move on. No point being ultra serious, defensive and prickly about it.

Team has been showing signs all year of being in denial.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Keep Lyon until the end of the season, see who else is on offer and consider a new coach in 2012 if someone of quality stands out, otherwise persist with Ross in 2012.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

and there is the TYPICAL St Kilda mentality I was talking about..... A bad season and lets look for someone else.. Lets take another 18 months for the players to adapt to yet another coaches style. While players like Roo, Dal, Joey and the rest of that era of players hit the age of 30.... Yep sounds like a great plan to me.. :roll:

Have you forgotten what happened at Geelong at the end of 2006... They hadn't even made a Grand final under him, let alone 2 ... Thomspon was on a knife edge, Geelong found some common sense and stuck fat.

We have had 2 wonderful seasons which if the PLAYERS had kicked goals instead of behind in 2009 Ross Lyon would be a premiership coach....

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Dals girl, I agree...but like others have said...be MUCH more worried about him walking at years end. I tell ya, listening to him speak this year, the feeling gets stronger and stronger with every week...there is such resignation in his tones and words. He went through personal hell last year, and now this in his professional life, I almost couldnt blame him.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I am not worried by the club sacking Ross, as much as I am of him walking, if the players continue with their pathetic efforts.
"I'd probably be as disappointed as I've been for a long time, but I'm really in for the long haul.
http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsartic ... fault.aspx

agree with tyring to get Roos as mentor- although I would strong assume he and Ross already speak heaps-- But he is listed as being aprt of Sydney panel.
Last edited by saintbrat on Sun 15 May 2011 7:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

The game today can be described with "H" words heading each quarter
(1) Heartening (2) Hapless (3) Helpless (4) Hopeless.
"Sack the coach" Yeah "Retain the coach"? Yeah "Stick fat with the club"? Yeah ..you know I just dont care any more, thats the truth :cry: I never thought that this mob would dampen my spirit but that display today hit the jackpot fair and square I'm DONE!!!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

I tend to agree with Ross possibly walking... for me it is a very scary thought, I can't bare to think going thru yet another coach.

It sickens me to death how well Geelong are still going, even under a new coach.... I guess that is the biggest difference between Geelong and St Kilda, Geelong 2 premierships, St Kilda, none... the success gives the playing group drive, where losing a close one, a draw and then an old fashion thumping as mentally scared us,

Well that is how it looks from where I am sitting and its only my opinion of course !!!

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Anybody who thinks the 2009 gameplan was the same as the 2008 one is in serious denial.
Anybody who thinks the 2010 gameplan was the same as the 2009 one is in serious denial.
Anybody who thinks the 2011 gameplan is the same as the 2010 one is in serious denial.
Anybody who thinks the 2012 gameplan will be the same as the 2011 one is in serious denial.

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:The game today can be described with "H" words heading each quarter
(1) Heartening (2) Hapless (3) Helpless (4) Hopeless.
"Sack the coach" Yeah "Retain the coach"? Yeah "Stick fat with the club"? Yeah ..you know I just dont care any more, thats the truth :cry: I never thought that this mob would dampen my spirit but that display today hit the jackpot fair and square I'm DONE!!!!!

To be honest, I feel a little bit the same way, but it wasn't this week that had me starting to feel like that..... It was when we lost to Adelaide that started to dampen my spirit.

I think it is effecting the supporters like the players, all these Grand finals and no cup....

In Ross Get lost!

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Anybody who thinks the 2009 gameplan was the same as the 2008 one is in serious denial.
Anybody who thinks the 2010 gameplan was the same as the 2009 one is in serious denial.
Anybody who thinks the 2011 gameplan is the same as the 2010 one is in serious denial.
Anybody who thinks the 2012 gameplan will be the same as the 2011 one is in serious denial.
spot on !!!!!!!!!!!!! very very good point made there, surely no one can disagree with you on that.

In Ross Get lost!

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm starting to feel SO angry at the thought of some of those blokes picking up wages this week!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)