White Aboriginals doing traditional welcome

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Enrico_Misso wrote:
kp83 wrote:Can I ask you why you say that the traditional welcome is "stupid"?
I wonder if they will do this at the London Olympics?

Might be a bit time consuming by the time they pay homage to the Druids, Celts, Vikings, Romans, Normans, Germanics, Anglo-Saxons, French etc. etc.
What has that got to do with Aboriginals? Im pretty sure they were the only ones here for just a couple of years before the rest of us arrived.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Anything purporting to be a traditional welcoming ceremony from anywhere in South-Eastern Australian is almost certain to come straight out of a contemporary person's imagination. And the people performing it will be largely white in their ancestry, uninitiated, brought up in White society and have learnt all they know about their own culture from out of dubious nineteenth century accounts written by Whites.

Educated modern Australians continue to lap all this nonsense up. Why? One word: guilt. But all of my family and friends tell me I'm a racist for even daring to question it. So I've given up.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Enrico_Misso wrote:
kp83 wrote:Can I ask you why you say that the traditional welcome is "stupid"?
I wonder if they will do this at the London Olympics?

Might be a bit time consuming by the time they pay homage to the Druids, Celts, Vikings, Romans, Normans, Germanics, Anglo-Saxons, French etc. etc.
What has that got to do with Aboriginals? Im pretty sure they were the only ones here for just a couple of years before the rest of us arrived.
who was there before them?

Legendary
Club Player

meher baba wrote:Anything purporting to be a traditional welcoming ceremony from anywhere in South-Eastern Australian is almost certain to come straight out of a contemporary person's imagination. And the people performing it will be largely white in their ancestry, uninitiated, brought up in White society and have learnt all they know about their own culture from out of dubious nineteenth century accounts written by Whites.

Educated modern Australians continue to lap all this nonsense up. Why? One word: guilt. But all of my family and friends tell me I'm a racist for even daring to question it. So I've given up.
Spot on.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

How can the Sippos thread get locked because of some niggle, meanwhile an absurd racist dribble laden one can just roll on…
Just close it FFS… this doesn't deserve to be seen at the top of the forum.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Lets not delete this thread and its contents; it shows that racism is alive and prospering in Australian society.

Just a couple of things though.

Having being isolated from the rest of the world for 50,000 years, the aboriginal ""colour"" gene was very fragile, and easily diminished by European genes, which were much stronger as a result of being derived from lots of different associations.

There are a lot of pale aboriginals that have strong links with their roots and their culture.

The Welcome to Country can only be done by an Elder of the mob that are the guardians of the land in question. Not any old blackfella can do it, and to suggest that it can be so, shows a complete lack of understanding of Aboriginal culture.

To suggest that only those that pass the blackface test can perform this important ceremony, shows how irrepairably racist the original poster is.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:Lets not delete this thread and its contents; it shows that racism is alive and prospering in Australian society.

Having being isolated from the rest of the world for 50,000 years, the aboriginal ""colour"" gene was very fragile, and easily diminished by European genes, which were much stronger as a result of being derived from lots of different associations.

There are a lot of pale aboriginals that have strong links with their roots and their culture.

The Welcome to Country can only be done by an Elder of the mob that are the guardians of the land in question. Not any old blackfella can do it, and to suggest that it can be so, shows a complete lack of understanding of Aboriginal culture.
Y
To suggest that only those that pass the blackface test can perform this important ceremony, shows how irrepairably racist the original poster is.
well put. Ignorance at it`s highest.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I'm with mehre barber on this.

The welcome is bit not necessary and surely tainted by white history.

You can all have your opinions on this but I stick by what I've said.

Thanks for the background GO re the colour issue, I'm sorry in not an expert on Aboriginal history Solar either, I must learn it again eh?

Must say the yellow red and black centre circle looked good, they can keep that for next year.

Ok so ban me, shoot me, send me to Christmas Island, deport me, but please record it on YouTube so my family can watch!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
sasaint
Club Player

dragit wrote:How can the Sippos thread get locked because of some niggle, meanwhile an absurd racist dribble laden one can just roll on…
Just close it FFS… this doesn't deserve to be seen at the top of the forum.
+1

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:Lets not delete this thread and its contents; it shows that racism is alive and prospering in Australian society.

I agree that a person's colour is irrelevant. I've met whitefellas who have been initiated into northern and central Australian tribes and who are therefore perfectly entitled to participate in ceremonies.

My issue with your contemporary NSW, Vic, Tas or southern
Queenslander performing any sort of "ceremony" is that they will have
more or less made it up. It therefore really bears no more direct link to traditional Indigenous society and culture than would a bunch of Morris dancers.

So it's really just a bit of pretentious nonsense from some Indigenous wannabes. Us white folk are all too racked by guilt to call it what it is.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
matrix wrote:Image
Wouldn't mind some Tim Tams :D
There you go :)

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Pwoit wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Thanks Pwoit, but a bit late.

Would put me off my dinner :wink:

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Sorry..was the Forum a bit dull today so you thought you'd indulge in your passion for saying something controversial to stop it getting boring??

Mission accomplished..you got the attention you crave..for all the wrong reason of course IMO

Go back to 1955 and take Andrew Bolt with you :roll:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Pwoit wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

If we can just keep the discussion to brown v white Tim Tams then less people will be offended :)

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Sorry..was the Forum a bit dull today so you thought you'd indulge in your passion for saying something controversial to stop it getting boring??

Mission accomplished..you got the attention you crave..for all the wrong reason of course IMO

Go back to 1955 and take Andrew Bolt with you :roll:
No.

I believe in what I've said.

I'm sorry you disagree it's not a 1955 opinion.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I do have some support.

By the way, I love Aboriginal footballers, I wish we had more.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Totally pointless debate !!!!! However , i would like to point out that im Not Rascist ; I just hate everone !

dragit
Saintsational Legend

"i'm not racist BUT… in my day darkies were dark and all asians were called chinese" "i love aboriginal footballers, just not the lazy ones who bludge on the dole and drink all the time"

SOMEONE SHUT THIS F-ING THREAD!!!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

yeah i agree.

And how can that Nicholas Winmar say he is aboriginal? he is a brown colour, not black....

Fair Dinkum :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
St Michele
Club Player

kp83 wrote:This can't be a serious post can it?
Can I ask you why you say that the traditional welcome is "stupid"?
I for one think it is only right to acknowledge a race of people who had no say in a bunch of convicts being let loose amongst their people, leading to the destruction of their way of life. Don't forget, it was the white man who introduced drugs and alcohol into their lives and now we mock and blame them for not being able to handle it.
Not to mention the atrocities that occured to the stolen generation - a group of people the majority of whom were born to a mother who had been raped by a white man.
Don't ever forget - you are the descendant of a boat person and they are the original inhabitants of this land.
Well said kp :D

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like Baillieu got what he wanted. What a shock.