Kick Ins

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Kick Ins

I'm sure this has been raised in here somewhere, but I couldn't find it so I'll open this for discussion.........

How bad have our kick ins been this year?!

Some clubs seem to view kick ins as an opportunity to score (as strange as that may sound).

The moment the pill is in their hands in the goal square, as a spectator you get the sense they are on the attack (again, as strange as that may sound!).

But ours on the other hand, are the opposite. As a spectator, you get the feeling we're under pressure and at best, trying to inch the ball out of our D50.
We don't seem to have an intent when kicking in from a behind.

I can't recall us ever being over good at it, but this season in particular we've been horrible.

When Harves was playing, he'd be the 'get out' for the kick-in. He'd lead up and get a short kick about 30m out from goal on about a 30 degree angle. Whether it was a set play and the space was created for him, or he was just smart and knew there was always space there, I'm not sure.
But regardless, it was a decent 'plan b' for a kick-in if there wasn't a longer more attacking option available.

But at the moment, our best option from the kick-ins seems to be a long ball to the flank to a pack of 15 players! And our 'get out' now is a little 20m kick to the boundary line, with no plan after that.

Anyone else noticed this?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Agree with you but pretty sure you'll find the Harvey 'spot' is now occupied by a zone defender.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I cant see the sense in why the AFL speeded up the kick in. It can give the defending side too great an advantage. They have tried it, and from my point of view it has failed. Return to waiting for the goal umpire to signal the behind and wave the flags.

noreason41
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:I cant see the sense in why the AFL speeded up the kick in. It can give the defending side too great an advantage. They have tried it, and from my point of view it has failed. Return to waiting for the goal umpire to signal the behind and wave the flags.
If used correctly it gives the team with the kick in a bigger advantage as the other team won't have flooded the 50 yet.

IMO, allows the ball to be put into play quicker and less congestion follows, but if you don't find an option quickly...then the opposition sets up their zone and the only way through it (aside from a very good kick) is 50 down the flank or a short 20m chip which leaves you stranded for your next kick.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I think that what occurs, is relective of the general state of play at that time - is our preferred kicker on-the-spot, do we have someone free up-filed, , has the opposition got their zone in place. :?:

I haven't noticed that our kick-ins are worse than others, but if our forward line is constantly being entered, the opposition are likely to have plenty of players up at our end of the ground, which closes down free space. This prevents quick kick-ins.

Agree with nr41 - the more quickly the ball gets into play, the more open the play is. If you wait for the flags to be waved, everything gets clogged up.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:I think that what occurs, is relective of the general state of play at that time - is our preferred kicker on-the-spot, do we have someone free up-filed, , has the opposition got their zone in place. :?:
It could be because it's usually a mid that kicks in (Goddard or Dal) and they aren't ready to go.

But regardless, it's something we need to sort out.

Kicking a behind in modern footy is basically a turnover, and should be treated as such. However for us, it doesn't seem like an advantage. You get the feel we've been backed into a corner as opposed to gaining possession and looking to attack.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

We are like all other teams, when the ball is in our forward half we try to cut out space for the link player. When we are kicking out we get manned up. It is the way footy is played these days, every player on the ground needs to defend when their team is not in possession. Even the bottom teams now chase down the player that is there to take the ball out of defensive 50. We were one of the first to really press from the kick in now everyone does it.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:We are like all other teams, when the ball is in our forward half we try to cut out space for the link player. When we are kicking out we get manned up. It is the way footy is played these days, every player on the ground needs to defend when their team is not in possession. Even the bottom teams now chase down the player that is there to take the ball out of defensive 50. We were one of the first to really press from the kick in now everyone does it.
I don't think we are like all other teams when it comes to kick-ins.

We're struggling badly in this area, wheras other teams are generating Inside 50s and 'coast to coast' goals from them.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I was at ground level in that Hawks match and you could see it wasn't the kick in it was the breaking out of the zone that hurt us. Fisher was usually the link but the next player was covered and when you hand ball in the zone it is turned over to a 50/50 contest. We played the boundary but it would turn over and the hawks would long kick it to the forward line and would often score from them. Most teams break our zone by quick kicks before we can box them in. They are flirting with the odd bit of man on man and in the Dees game quick running ball carriers breaking the lines. It looked laborious but worked.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Johnny Member wrote:
Junction Oval wrote:I think that what occurs, is relective of the general state of play at that time - is our preferred kicker on-the-spot, do we have someone free up-filed, , has the opposition got their zone in place. :?:
It could be because it's usually a mid that kicks in (Goddard or Dal) and they aren't ready to go.

<snip>
this is a huge gripe for me.
Given that Goddard & NDS are the only kickers in our team that "allowed" to carry out this duty, it is the no1 reason we are at such a huge disadvantage. It sets up the painfully slow movement forward which often ends in a hope for the best kick to a pack on the wing. It is also another reason NDS & goddard can rack up possesions with the old one - two play.
If those two ARE our best play makers, then they must be in a position down field.

Seeya
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

<snip>
this is a huge gripe for me.
Given that Goddard & NDS are the only kickers in our team that "allowed" to carry out this duty, it is the no1 reason we are at such a huge disadvantage. It sets up the painfully slow movement forward which often ends in a hope for the best kick to a pack on the wing. It is also another reason NDS & goddard can rack up possesions with the old one - two play.
If those two ARE our best play makers, then they must be in a position down field.
Gwilt takes more than his share.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Gwilt takes more than his share.
as he should, he is a backman. And guess what his role is the long kick.
My point is that we are robbing peter downfield with paul's 15mt pocket kcik with our two best midfielders.
Would be good to find actual number stats on kick in duties.

Seeya
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

We have a plan for our kick ins, find Gwilt.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

The one thing that gets right up my nose is when the "Non-desginated kicker" has the ball in his hand after a behind. Rather than just kick it in..he puts the ball on the ground and waits for the designated player to come for it. Whats the point of being able to kick in quickly and break a zone if youre gonna do that?

Surely theres some flexibility as to who kicks it out?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:I cant see the sense in why the AFL speeded up the kick in. It can give the defending side too great an advantage. They have tried it, and from my point of view it has failed. Return to waiting for the goal umpire to signal the behind and wave the flags.
I think it has almost naturally returned to this. There is the rare quick kick in but generally now the umpire has to wave them on more often than not.

The proof is in how long the quarters are now.

I also believe that with the new interchange rules teams are using it as a chance to take an extra moments rest

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

We definitely have struggled from kick ins. I think if you looked at the stats for "coast to coast" goals we would be near enough to the bottom. We never really seem to have a structure - it's either the long one down the line to a contest or the get out kick to Joey in short.

The Saints are coming!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

It says something about Dawson when our fullback doesnt participate in the kick ins, even as a target usually.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:It says something about Dawson when our fullback doesnt participate in the kick ins, even as a target usually.
no it says something about our whole backline
Baker, Fisher, Blake, Gilbert, Dempster, Peake, Ray all very very rarely take kick ins.
so apart from gwilt, it is usually goddard and NDS that take the duty.
the setup suggests the coach does not believe the backline has the necessary skills
the setup means we are slow to get it out of back 50
the setup means our best onballers are now behind the ball

Seeya
Solar
Saintsational Legend

this is one reason why developing some more running backs is a must. We have one out, short kick to the pocket then long to the boundary. Works if you can wn clearances but we don't do that anymore.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Maxstar22
Club Player

I've thought for a number of years that our kick ins were a weakness.

We always seem to stop, wait, look around, wait some more, look around and then the whistle blows to play on.....by this time the opposition have either manned up or zoned up and makes it very difficult to break.

Some of the more successful teams don't wait and just go.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
borderbarry wrote:It says something about Dawson when our fullback doesnt participate in the kick ins, even as a target usually.
no it says something about our whole backline
Baker, Fisher, Blake, Gilbert, Dempster, Peake, Ray all very very rarely take kick ins.
so apart from gwilt, it is usually goddard and NDS that take the duty.
the setup suggests the coach does not believe the backline has the necessary skills
the setup means we are slow to get it out of back 50
the setup means our best onballers are now behind the ball

i have seen ray and schneider also kick in....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Facts don't belong here Stinger. Leave 'em out.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Facts don't belong here Stinger. Leave 'em out.
thats funny because I thought about adding something along the lines of
"..but i saw <insert players name here> kicking in"

but thought nah too obvious

Seeya
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Agree this is a problem - embarrassing how slow we are sometimes to bring the ball in and i too hate it when a player puts the ball on the ground while waiting for the "designated kicker" to arrive.

“Yeah….nah””
bergsone
SS Life Member

Have money on it,NDS kicks in short to Gwilt in back pocket
set play,predictable