Finally, the AFL fix the nab cup!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Finally, the AFL fix the nab cup!

Hooray!

We get to keep the 20/20 format in the first round as per this season for 2012, but we now get scheduled games in Round 2 and 3.

So every team plays 4 games, with the top 2 teams in the GF, with the other 16 clubs playing praccy games in week 4 at AFL venues not TimbukfuckingTu!

So we will know in November who and where we will play weeks 1 to 3!

Sounds all sorted to me. 4 praccy matches ALL at real grounds!

So who would you like us to play in Rounds 2 and 3??

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

I misunderstood the title of this thread I thought it was suggesting that the NAB Cup was going to be "fixed" in the same way that the AFL competition has been "fixed" by the AFL for many years (according to some). :wink:

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Saint_Ash
Club Player
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

Re: Finally, the AFL fix the nab cup!

saintspremiers wrote: So every team plays 4 games, with the top 2 teams in the GF, with the other 16 clubs playing praccy games in week 4 at AFL venues not TimbukfuckingTu!
I'm not sure about that one, I thought I read that games will still be sent to regional areas.

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
Saint_Ash
Club Player
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx
These matches will be scheduled no later than November the previous year, allowing teams to better prepare for and promote their games, and will continue to be played at a mixture of metro and regional venues.

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

I have no problem with spreading the word, (and games), to regional areas, provided that the playing surface and associated facilities are at an acceptable standard.

The game exists for the spectators, and the chance for country people to see AFL players at close hand is a good promotional tool.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:I have no problem with spreading the word, (and games), to regional areas, provided that the playing surface and associated facilities are at an acceptable standard.

The game exists for the spectators, and the chance for country people to see AFL players at close hand is a good promotional tool.
The Cairns ground is arguably the best playing surface in the country. It's like green carpet.

The dimensions are the same as the MCG.

The ground condition has always recieved excellent feedback from the AFL players that have played on the ground.

The main stand is the relocated stand from the Gabba before it was upgraded and currently the ground is going through a multimillion dollar upgrade in readiness for the Richmond Vs GC classh in July.

AFL in Cairns is huge and all of you muppets in Victoria that have never been north of the Murray River should come and visit. It's more than crocodiles and nut scratchers.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:I have no problem with spreading the word, (and games), to regional areas, provided that the playing surface and associated facilities are at an acceptable standard.

The Cairns ground is arguably the best playing surface in the country. It's like green carpet.

The dimensions are the same as the MCG.

The ground condition has always recieved excellent feedback from the AFL players that have played on the ground.

The main stand is the relocated stand from the Gabba before it was upgraded and currently the ground is going through a multimillion dollar upgrade in readiness for the Richmond Vs GC classh in July.

AFL in Cairns is huge and all of you muppets in Victoria that have never been north of the Murray River should come and visit. It's more than crocodiles and nut scratchers.
Agree wholeheartedly Cairnsman. Cazaly's, like Aurora in Launceston, and that ground in Townsville where Thuringowa Bulldogs play (Riverside? Riverbank?), are all seriously proudly maintained A grade surfaces.

I too get the s***s up when people guess about what exists beyond Melbourne.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Settle!

Melbourne has been and always will be the capital and ruler of the AFL universe. Accept that reality please.

Cairns has a lovely lagoon pool and is great to visit for a few days in Winter, but spare me please trying to convince me it's a good place to live.

Same for Launie, great to visit.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Settle!

Melbourne has been and always will be the capital and ruler of the AFL universe. Accept that reality please.

Cairns has a lovely lagoon pool and is great to visit for a few days in Winter, but spare me please trying to convince me it's a good place to live.

Launie's too bloody cold.

Would live in Cairns in a flash. My favourite holiday destination.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
I too get the s***s up when people guess about what exists beyond Melbourne.
Yeah I've been living mostly away from Melbourne since 1992 and if I now compare my view on what this country has to offer to back when I was living in Victoria I'd say I was fairly ignorant to it all. I'm fortunately though in that my line of work provides me with the opportunity to get all over the country. I never stop loving it. Best place on the planet.
Melbournians are like Americans and you really can pick em a mile away especially the grey nomads that make their annual trek to northern Australia. Sydney siders are also easily distinguishable.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Settle!

You'd be right up in Cairns SP, we've got the internet now.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

AFL wrote:The tweaked NAB Cup pre-season format will see a repeat of this season's six groups of three shortened pool matches in a lightning-style first round.

However, rather than reverting to a knockout format from round two, all teams will play full-scale matches in rounds two and three.
My question is why continue with the shortened round 1 matches?

It is a totally meaningless competition so why not assign a draw based on the previous season's ladder and each team plays three full scale matches and the two top teams play off in the final?

NoMore
Club Player

Your dead right they have "fixed" it perfectly. They will assign games to the big crowd drawing teams that they think they will win then 2 of those teams will play off in the final. Big crowd will turn up. Big dollars in the back pockets. Rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Can anyone remind me what this sounds like. Oh yeah the normal "Fix"ture that we use for the home and away season. The laughs just keep coming from A1 and A2

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

NoMore wrote:Your dead right they have "fixed" it perfectly. They will assign games to the big crowd drawing teams that they think they will win then 2 of those teams will play off in the final. Big crowd will turn up. Big dollars in the back pockets. Rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Can anyone remind me what this sounds like. Oh yeah the normal "Fix"ture that we use for the home and away season. The laughs just keep coming from A1 and A2
Has the draw been done already. Anyway why would you care. What they have done now is just make sure people know they are practice matches. Previously some people actually thought they meant something. I dont know why they did though. They are and have been practice matches for at least 6-7 years.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Lived in Cairns from 84 to 97. Plated footy up there too.

Finally got sick of the place. Went back last year for a visit and it's a s*** hole.
Too many people and traffic is ridiculous - might as well be in Brissie or here on the Coast.

Agree about Cazalys though - excellent facility. I played footy there when it was still AFP

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:Lived in Cairns from 84 to 97. Plated footy up there too.

Finally got sick of the place. Went back last year for a visit and it's a s*** hole.
Too many people and traffic is ridiculous - might as well be in Brissie or here on the Coast.

Agree about Cazalys though - excellent facility. I played footy there when it was still AFP
Australian Federal Police?

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Lol! Australian Football Park, plugger

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

So after 13 or 14 years of choosing to live in Cairns you decided it was a sh1t hole. Sounds like you got yourself into some trouble towards the end of your stay and it left a bitter taste in your mouth. Was it with the cops or a women?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:

So after 13 or 14 years of choosing to live in Cairns you decided it was a sh1t hole. Sounds like you got yourself into some trouble towards the end of your stay and it left a bitter taste in your mouth. Was it with the cops or a women?
Maybe just tired of wrestling crocs and scratching his nuts :D

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Seriously you've got no idea. Everybody knows you can't scratch your nuts and wrestle a croc.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Seriously you've got no idea. Everybody knows you can't scratch your nuts and wrestle a croc.
No, but you can wrestle a croc and scratch its nuts :wink:

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

Could have been wrestling nuts and scratching crocs?

stevie
Saintsational Legend

No, I left because the novelty of living there wore off. It was a great place in the 80's, even with the heat and humidity.
But too many people moved there and it became too much like a city instead of a big country town

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:No, I left because the novelty of living there wore off. It was a great place in the 80's, even with the heat and humidity.
But too many people moved there and it became too much like a city instead of a big country town
You're the first person I've heard that has said that and that has moved from Cairns to the Gold Coast. Usually they move to Cooktown or Weipa.

Where do you go to wrestle crocs and nuts down there?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
stevie wrote:No, I left because the novelty of living there wore off. It was a great place in the 80's, even with the heat and humidity.
You're the first person I've heard that has said that and that has moved from Cairns to the Gold Coast. Usually they move to Cooktown or Weipa.

Where do you go to wrestle crocs and nuts down there?
Cavill Avenue seemed a likely location last time I was up that way :!: