Can "Man-At-Arms" aka Armo replicate this kind...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Can "Man-At-Arms" aka Armo replicate this kind...

... of toughness?

One of the main reasons, IMO, we beat Geelong in last year's Qualifying Final was because of the hardness and willingness of our players to apply real real pressure on the Cats.

Who could ever forget "that bump" ?

Alas, the great man won't be with us until next year.

This in turn, has left David Armitage with a golden opportunity to fill in some of the void left by Lenny's injury and earn a spot as a key position player. Whilst some feel he's no champ in the making, I reckon he has gone okay, thus far.

I think tomorrow night is a big game for him. What chance to prove himself on the big stage.

How would you rate his general toughness and hardball gets?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
S.A Saint
Club Player

Has been playing on the half forward line in recent weeks while steven has taken over the midfiled role.

Hope he and steven both start in the middle with dal for the opening bounce and throughout the match.

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I see Armo more a Luke Ball kind of player.
And remember Lenny wasnt that great until he was 24 or 25.
So bit harsh comparing Armo at his age. But Armo is as tough as they come no doubt. Huge ticker.

RW&B
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I see Armo more a Luke Ball kind of player.
So bit harsh comparing Armo at his age. But Armo is as tough as they come no doubt. Huge ticker.
B&F winner at 23. 2nd in B&F at 22. Lenny was always quality. I agree with your point though, ridiculous to compare anyone to Lenny.

"I'm a better coach when Nick Riewoldt is in the side" - Ross Lyon 2007
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

RW&B wrote:
B&F winner at 23. 2nd in B&F at 22. Lenny was always quality. I agree with your point though, ridiculous to compare anyone to Lenny.
ok ok. you got me with facts :-)

but yeah was just making point that lenny comparisons are harsh and a tad unfair on normal humans.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

RW&B wrote:

but yeah was just making point that lenny comparisons are a tad unfair on normal mortal humans.

PJ
SS Life Member

Armo's work rate and hardness are A grade he just has to work on effective or damaging disposal. Good year so far and will benefit from the space created by Lenny.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
RW&B wrote:

but yeah was just making point that lenny comparisons are a tad unfair on normal mortal humans.
But it's true that didn't look all that wonderful in his first few seasons. But
this was when he was playing seniors at 19, 20 and 21 in a team that was at rock bottom under Watson and then Blight. Lenny's career took off under GT and by 2006 he had surpassed Harvey (no mean achievement, even though Harves was in his mid-30s). Alas he was struck down by injury and IMO didn't get fully back to his 2006 form until 2009-10.

It's no coincidence that the team's rise and fall very much parallels that of
Lenny's career!

I'm afraid it's pretty clear now that Armo just isn't ever going to be in the same league as Lenny. Big heart, tons of courage, good tackler and better than many with the ball in his hands. But he doesn't seem to have the agility - the closing and evasive skills - of a firat rate in-and-under player in the modern era. Whereas Steven possibly does.

So I remain a little concerned about Armo's long-term prospects at thr club. He really ought to be cementing a spot in the middle. I can't really see him making a career anywhere else on the ground.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Sainter93
Club Player

In the recent game against the filth, didn't he lay a big hit on didak?
If he can replicate that it would be great.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Lenny is a classic footballer where Armo is a little more modern (style) imo. Armo definitely has the toughness and toolkit, but at this stage I don't see the heart (to compare to Lenny).
But agree it is a good opportunity for Armo on another big stage who is having a much appreciated run of form.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Armo or no Armo, Lenny is the best and just makes you miss him more. The guy looks like a private school boy but plays like a wrecking ball.