Riewoldt has to be Joking

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

wraiyth
Club Player

ralphsmith wrote:
wraiyth wrote:The fact is that a captain shouldn't be immune from being dropped if his form is poor. The team has a vice captain and if a player - captain or not - isn't performing, then they need to be dropped.
Aside from that, dropping Rooey might send a message to many other players. There are way too many players coasting in that side right now, and if the message can be sent that no one's spot is safe, perhaps a few might pick their act up.
I'm not sure this will do anything.

As a team, i don't think there's anything wrong with our desire to win games and play hard. We are trying our guts out.

There is a fundamental problem with too many players not posessing the skills and decision making abilities that AFL level (or GEELONG level) players should posess.

We are putting in 100% then fumbling deliveries into the forwardline, missing targets in the midfield, handballing to opposition players, running to the wrong place at the wrong time.

But god they try.
Trying isn't good enough.

Wollongong_saint
Club Player

So Riewoldt playing for Sandy will magically play him into form? And meanwhile the young, up and coming players miss out on his inspiration (which we can't expect to see or appreciate from the sidelines/TV screens) while he misses goals for Sandy? Doesn't make sense to me. He's worth more than another player in his position at the moment even IF he plays games like tonight....

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
Thinline wrote:
bobmurray wrote:There are also people on here who expect a reasonable contribution from their captain....go figure.... :roll:
Isn't that what we usually get? Would've thoughts so. ten years of it.

Or are you gonna measure him by his few off games as well?
Not this year....

Not in Grand Finals either...he's not immune

he's the highest paid player by far..there is a fair expectation which he cant meet...money for jam...we'd all like a job like that
Oh come on bob...how on earth have we got to those big games...he's done it singlehanded a lot of the time...

Of course his FORM (hand in hand with our game plan which does little to assist him at the moment) is not immune from analysis, but his journey has been beyond exceptional.

Personally I think criticism this week should be solely focused on teamwide skill shitness and inability to win critical clearances.

Roo's off night is way down the list.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Pwoit wrote:Go F*** yourself Cairnsman you complete spud of a supporter.
That's the spirit!

But was Roo was a disgrace to tonight as was Milne.

And Riccardo for that matter.

wraiyth
Club Player

Wollongong_saint wrote:So Riewoldt playing for Sandy will magically play him into form? And meanwhile the young, up and coming players miss out on his inspiration (which we can't expect to see or appreciate from the sidelines/TV screens) while he misses goals for Sandy? Doesn't make sense to me. He's worth more than another player in his position at the moment even IF he plays games like tonight....
By that logic, why drop any player who is out of form?

And I'm sure there's plenty of kids playing for Sandy who would relish the opportunity to have a chance to play a game with him, and they're kids that should be playing in our senior side anyway.

Wollongong_saint
Club Player

wraiyth wrote: By that logic, why drop any player who is out of form?

And I'm sure there's plenty of kids playing for Sandy who would relish the opportunity to have a chance to play a game with him, and they're kids that should be playing in our senior side anyway.
Agree with you Wraiyth, there are plenty of kids there that should be getting a game, but not at Roo's expense. He needs to be there to provide intangible leadership and motivation, which he can provide even if he's having a shocking game himself. He is Nick Riewoldt after all. So, he's in a category of players to whom a standard logic doesn't need to apply....

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

wraiyth wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
wraiyth wrote:The fact is that a captain shouldn't be immune from being dropped if his form is poor. The team has a vice captain and if a player - captain or not - isn't performing, then they need to be dropped.
Aside from that, dropping Rooey might send a message to many other players. There are way too many players coasting in that side right now, and if the message can be sent that no one's spot is safe, perhaps a few might pick their act up.
You're kidding right? That would totally undermine the captain/leader of the club and take away respect for him. You cannot drop the captain, plain and simple. An out of form Riewoldt is still lightyears ahead of any other forwards we have coming through. People are crying for changes but simply do not get that we do not have anyone better coming through as yet. Give it time.
I think his lack of form this season has already lost him a significant amount of respect. I'm not sure how much initiative he takes compared to Lyon, but a player of his caliber should, as captain, be taking some initiative as to how he plays the game. You see Matthew Pavlich doing it all the time for Freo - throwing himself into the midfield, getting in the mix and impacting the game. Rooey doesn't do this and aside from the amount of leading and running he does, I'm not even sure how hard he works off the ball.
How can you come out and say that his teammates have lost respect for him. That's just a wild guess. Fair go mate. And despite Roo being out of form, he's still working his freckle off. Getting to contests against multiple opponents at a time. Lead after lead.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Four points:

1. Looking at past games where he dominated, he no longer has the ability at ground level that he once had. I wonder if the hamstring injury has had any effect in that regard.

2. He is not running nearly as much this year as in the past. This exhausted his opponent, now he seems exhausted. Once again, is it an injury or just age and wear and tear?

3. Kicks a metre over his head are not the best to build his confidence.

4. The moment we allowed then to play a loose man in defence, we were finished, and so was he. They are too good when it's two to one.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
wraiyth wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
You're kidding right? That would totally undermine the captain/leader of the club and take away respect for him. You cannot drop the captain, plain and simple. An out of form Riewoldt is still lightyears ahead of any other forwards we have coming through. People are crying for changes but simply do not get that we do not have anyone better coming through as yet. Give it time.
I think his lack of form this season has already lost him a significant amount of respect. I'm not sure how much initiative he takes compared to Lyon, but a player of his caliber should, as captain, be taking some initiative as to how he plays the game. You see Matthew Pavlich doing it all the time for Freo - throwing himself into the midfield, getting in the mix and impacting the game. Rooey doesn't do this and aside from the amount of leading and running he does, I'm not even sure how hard he works off the ball.
How can you come out and that his teammates have lost respect for him. That's just a wild guess. Fair go mate. And despite Roo being out of form, he's still working his freckle off. Getting to contests against multiple opponents at a time. Lead after lead.
Pavlich ALL THE TIME.

Pavlich, until last week, was being spoken of as an underachieving dud who couldn't lead, influence a game, or find anything other than sporadic form.

Memory just a bit short?

Funny.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Its sad to see the big fella so down on form and confidence. Who knows, maybe the hammy from last year has taken a yard out of him. Still a club legend and his leadership and the quality of the bloke should never be questioned. True champ and close to the greatest St Kilda player of all time. I know we're all disappointed in his form, but try and have a little respect.
Good post mate. Agreed.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

ball delivery to him tonight was shocking , mencsh of geelong kicked 4 goal why ? cos the ball was kicked to him laces out in front of his eyes 4 times , roo didn't get one kicked to him all night like that !!!!!!!!!

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Cairnsman wrote:
jonesy wrote:He's the one they should be talking about,not BJ
Yeah he should be seriously ripped into the the Sandy team and left there. What a farking discrace he has become for this club. The most over priced and overrated player of all time.
You would be one of the biggest, p!ss poor frauds ever - constantly bagging players.... You just wait until they lose and bait people.

Where have you been, weak ponce. I would ban you from these boards - look what you've started - you get off on posters having a row over your crapola :oops:

Hold your ground :shock:
saintpeter
Club Player

Bottom line flogs...Roo, like any other player in the team needs to deliver to his abilirty ...forget that past, forget the excuses, focus on the rst of the season

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

mr six o'clock wrote:ball delivery to him tonight was shocking , mencsh of geelong kicked 4 goal why ? cos the ball was kicked to him laces out in front of his eyes 4 times , roo didn't get one kicked to him all night like that !!!!!!!!!
David Mensch hasn't played a game of league football for about 8-10 years. Do you mean Daniel Menzel?

I do agree with the delivery to Roo. It is absolutely appalling. If the ball's not kicked two yards over his head, forcing him to double back and lose position, it's kicked at his feet. He has no chance with delivery like that. I'm sure Riewoldt is not happy with his form, and is doing everything he can to try and rectify the situation.

The Saints are coming!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
bobmurray wrote:
Thinline wrote:
bobmurray wrote:There are also people on here who expect a reasonable contribution from their captain....go figure.... :roll:
Isn't that what we usually get? Would've thoughts so. ten years of it.

Or are you gonna measure him by his few off games as well?
Not this year....

Not in Grand Finals either...he's not immune

he's the highest paid player by far..there is a fair expectation which he cant meet...money for jam...we'd all like a job like that
Oh come on bob...how on earth have we got to those big games...he's done it singlehanded a lot of the time...

Of course his FORM (hand in hand with our game plan which does little to assist him at the moment) is not immune from analysis, but his journey has been beyond exceptional.

Personally I think criticism this week should be solely focused on teamwide skill shitness and inability to win critical clearances.

Roo's off night is way down the list.
2011 is the worst year of his career...it should be pointed out...no point living in the past...we weren't successful..it's the future that we are all hanging our hat on....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
sasaint
Club Player

True Blue Sainter wrote:
mr six o'clock wrote:ball delivery to him tonight was shocking , mencsh of geelong kicked 4 goal why ? cos the ball was kicked to him laces out in front of his eyes 4 times , roo didn't get one kicked to him all night like that !!!!!!!!!
David Mensch hasn't played a game of league football for about 8-10 years. Do you mean Daniel Menzel?

I do agree with the delivery to Roo. It is absolutely appalling. If the ball's not kicked two yards over his head, forcing him to double back and lose position, it's kicked at his feet. He has no chance with delivery like that. I'm sure Riewoldt is not happy with his form, and is doing everything he can to try and rectify the situation.
+1

Delivery to Roo was shocking. Roo didn't have a good night but his team mates didn't help.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Re: Riewoldt has to be Joking

Cairnsman wrote:5 possessions to three quarter time and not a yelp in the first 10 minutes of the final quarter when the game is in the balance.

Time for the club to ask him to hand over the captaincy.
I'm inclined to agree! I have thought this for a while. It's time to get over it for Roo, whatever his demons are this year. Perhaps he should give up the captaincy and focus on playing CHF.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Not sure why a thread has to take this tone.

It's disrespectful, unneccesary, and quite off puting.

You can question a guy without being so crap about it CM, should be some serious discussion about what is a valid talking point, but you invite the mud slinging by how you go about it.

I have been on record since last year, in saying that sometimes people are not always be the best judge of what is best for them, and the club should of made an evaluated decision on Roo's behalf that it was time to give him a break.

I don't even care if he doesn't relinquish the captaincy fullstop, just hand it over indefinitely and say you just want to concentrate on your footy, and then reassess it later.

As I said though, club should of made the decision for him, in HIS best interests. He just has too much to bear, and it was never going to work IMO.

I got canned last year for saying this, but it was always about what is best for Roo, and nothing personal.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

sasaint wrote:Delivery to Roo was shocking. Roo didn't have a good night but his team mates didn't help.
He is majorly out of form, can't dress it up any other way.

He dropped lots of marks he should of taken tonight.

I also ask the question of the coaching box though, why did they persist with it for so long? I thought Kosi showed signs that he was hot, was plucking everything, making the defenders quite nervous.

Should of cleared Roo out of the 50 much earlier, and tried something else.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Of course they should have, K, but they are so slow to react to situations it's not funny. It's not until "Blind-Freddy" is aware that a change needs to be made that Ross and co finally wake up to a situation.
Ross has unfortunately had his head buried deep in the sand for much of the time since the debacle of the second GF last year and shows no signs of getting it out any time soon, if their selections this week and lack of moves tonight are any indication.
I believe he's going about as well as Roo, this year.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Sun 19 Jun 2011 12:39am, edited 1 time in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
james rose
Club Player

My big issue with him at the moment (and the past few weeks) is he doesn't seem to be working as hard in the past.

People are only judging him by the standards he himself has set.

At one stage in the game he didn't get a brilliant kick and instead of giving his all to get to the contest like in years past he just held up his hands and watched. Its poor leadership.

Lets be honest Riewoldt has never been much of a leader except by example- as he is no longer setting that example people are questioning him. As the leader and highest paid player at the club that is to be expected.

Let me ask you all this, can you ever imagine Lenny Hayes playing a game as captain where he

1) has no impact on the contest

&

2) doesn't look like he is working as hard as he possibly could.

Today's game was good in that we competed well with the ladder leaders, the problem was it was our "guns" who didn't stand up.

I introduced someone to AFL today and he said 2 things of note-

"I can't believe #12 is your best player"

&

"#12 should play like #23, at least he is trying"

I felt like crying.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:Of course they should have, K, but they are so slow to react to situations it's not funny. It's not until "Blind-Freddy" is aware that a change needs to be made that Ross and co finally wake up to a situation.
Yes and no.

Putting it quite harshly, Roo is paid very big money, to be our premier forward.

It's hardly fair on him because everyone has low times, it's hardly fair on Ross because the club has invested alot in Roo being our gun.

Just a tough situation, but personally I think they have to play him in another position. Whatever confidence he had left, is being eroded now.

Nobody is winning out of him playing there.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Calm down everyone- This year we-
: walked under a ladder
: a black cat walked in front of us
: we broke a mirror
: opened an umbrella indoors

Our time will come.

lennyeverywhere
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:5 possessions to three quarter time and not a yelp in the first 10 minutes of the final quarter when the game is in the balance.

Moron!!!!! Enough said.

james rose
Club Player

lennyeverywhere wrote:

Moron!!!!! Enough said.
Pointless post.