A football club's soul

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

A football club's soul

the signs were there early this year that there are still some who believe that we need to turf the coach, turf the players - probably eventually it will get to turf the board..

and the discussion on Loyalty can appear to be very one sided -- many expect loyalty from players __ but are more than ready to shove them aside when the road gets a little rough

many talk GOP or past use bye date or trade the BEST value we have..... our BEST players...

so where does the 'Soul' of the club come from and how can it grow.. where does the 'Soul' garner strength for it's survival......

is it Supporters? - because although we have grown over the last 10 years- the barest hint of a rough patch and it has managed to go down by nearly 10% and many others are talking of withdrawing their support-
a change of style - no matter it has been succesful and proven to be enough for most other clubs to alter their style - and others slide sideways till the game' suits them' again.

Maybe many are right- it's now a business and they are mearly employees...
But football and soul and loyalty continue to be connected and sold..

are you 'New' football- it's business and players are commodities...
or are you 'Old' football - where soul and heart are given and recieved from fans/ members/ supporters and also from Players and board.
Last edited by saintbrat on Thu 23 Jun 2011 2:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Soul is the supporters, and long-serving players and staff I reckon.

When I think of our soul, I think of posters like you, who bleed it, Nathan Burke, and Kenny Whiffen.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I'm "Old Football", as anyone who started going to the footy in the 70s would be. I love the club and still recognise it as a club. I'll defend any player who wears our jumper as long as they themselves don't disrespect the club.

But I'm also pragmatic enough to realise things have dramatically changed since the 70s and I choose to embrace those changes. For that reason I still love the game and enjoy attending a match as much as I ever have.

I loved the "good old days" but choose to remember them fondly rather than meaninglessly wasting my time and energy wishing they would return.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:I'm "Old Football", as anyone who started going to the footy in the 70s would be. I love the club and still recognise it as a club. I'll defend any player who wears our jumper as long as they themselves don't disrespect the club.

But I'm also pragmatic enough to realise things have dramatically changed since the 70s and I choose to embrace those changes. For that reason I still love the game and enjoy attending a match as much as I ever have.

I loved the "good old days" but choose to remember them fondly rather than meaninglessly wasting my time and energy wishing they would return.
it's not necesarily about the game as such Dr, it almost has to change but more about the feelings and the other stuff.. I actually find the tactical side of the games these days fascinating- and can often 'see' what seems to be being tried..

in reality dcstkfc I have been ' involved' as a member and supporter for less time than Bakes and Lenny have played for the Saints so don't necesarily think it's length in time.

maybe it's expectation.... :?:

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

It's passion and only the supporters, the board and some players have that these days. To most players and the coaches (apart from Harves) it's a job.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

I'm definitely "Old" football - and highly critical of "New" football - you only have to see my comments on Max Hudghton.

I saw Rohan Smith contributing as a runner for the Bulldogs on TV a few days ago and thought "where is the guy who does that for us?"

Of course he was captured issuing a few too many game instructions and the AFL have now issued a please explain.

Also we haven't had that many recent retirees as opposed to delistings, but one's now a director and two more are in the coach's box. There's soul for you.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

I'm definetely old football. A member for over 40 years and will be till I fall off the perch. I will stick by all those that pull on the jumper. Do I want a premiership any less than the whingers? Absolutely not, I long to feel the tingles that coursed through my body when we hit the front in GF1 again. But I will not bag my club or players on forums or at games

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:I saw Rohan Smith contributing as a runner for the Bulldogs on TV a few days ago and thought "where is the guy who does that for us?"
He's too busy running over the mark and costing us a goal :roll:

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Ahhhh.... Soul.....

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:I saw Rohan Smith contributing as a runner for the Bulldogs on TV a few days ago and thought "where is the guy who does that for us?"
He's too busy running over the mark and costing us a goal :roll:
Exactly, if Robert Harvey was the runner do you reckon that would have happened?

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Footy clubs don't have souls anymore.

I believe to have soul in a sporting sense, you need a home. A genuine home.

A place where the ex-players can hang out, a place where the team trains, a place where supporters can visit and watch the team train, a place that gives you a tingle when you walk in. It's almost like a living thing when you walk around in it. A place that is dripping with memories and history. And most importantly a place where the team plays.

I see footy clubs these days as brand names pretty much. They don't have a base, or a home where the soul and culture develops over time.

Man, I remember being a kid and going on the train at 10am to see the Saints play an away game at the Western Oval or Victoria Park and I'd be as nervous as hell. I was heading into someone else's turf.
When you'd walk in to those grounds, it felt weird. It made you feel homesick being away from Moorabbin!
They had a different feel to Morrabbin. They had different souls.

These days, there is no home for clubs. There's a place where players train, and some of them have pokies in there for the desperates, but that's it.
There's no history there, because no one plays there.

They have a 'head office' (ie. Seaford) which is separate to where the real business is done.

Going to a Saints away game these days, is literally no different to going to a home game.

I'd go as far as to say, it wouldn't bother me that much if the Saints were to relocate interstate.
I don't see the difference between having a training base in Seaford, or having one on the Gold Coast.

These days with the Docklands and the MCG, it makes it feel to me like going to movies a bit. Going to footy feels more like going to watch someone else do something - whereas back in the day, it felt like I was going in to battle and my heart was on the line too. It's more like a stage show than a tribal war.

I still love the Saints. But I don't love the footy anymore. I don't watch much at all when the Saints aren't playing.
I've always thought it's an ugly game to watch, but it was the passion and emotion and unique physicality that got me in.

These days, it's pretty much just an ugly game!

For me, following the Saints now is more about unfinished business I think.
I'm 35 and haven't seen us/them win a flag. I think once that happens, I'd happily walk away and probably have very little interest in the game or even the Saints after that.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

A Club's Soul is the emotional feelings and character that are built up over many years of continuous involvement. Many older Posters on here have it, but it does not happen quickly. The passion that Bernard Shakey, Saintbrat and others have, is unfortunately, a diminishing commodity.

It's about "entertainment" today. The number of competing activities on offer encourage "instant success" or move on, which impacts on the expectations of player performance and lack of tolerance to average performance. There is little respect for "effort," only "success." Loyalty is no longer a highly respected virtue.

"Tactics" are now a topical subject. Everyone has a view and it's exciting. Social media helps this expression and also much associated criticism. Clubs put profit before Member Service (e.g. Social Club). Players are paid far more than most and people are therefore more willing to criticise perceived poor performance. Loyalty and "soul" is now out the window. Is that a good thing - I still love my footy, win or lose. I still take it as a "game," not the be all of life! It has run through the family for generations.

That's my view. :roll:

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

A few good observations Johnny Member - Brand, Head Office, no Saints Home, no Away Grounds (less atmosphere). These have certainly impacted on the decreasing amount of "soul."

Regarding "local grounds," it was indeed exciting as a young boy going with my father to all the local VFL grounds. He knew all the sneaky parking spots close to every ground.

Walking to the Collingwood and Footscray matches along the narrow back streets, which had terraced houses opening right onto the street, the locals would stand out the front leaning over their low wired fence, offering comments about the Saints chances. It was another world to me and very scary for a small boy.

Could go on and on - good memories, but things have changed and will continue to do so.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:A few good observations Johnny Member - Brand, Head Office, no Saints Home, no Away Grounds (less atmosphere). These have certainly impacted on the decreasing amount of "soul."

Regarding "local grounds," it was indeed exciting as a young boy going with my father to all the local VFL grounds. He knew all the sneaky parking spots close to every ground.

Walking to the Collingwood and Footscray matches along the narrow back streets, which had terraced houses opening right onto the street, the locals would stand out the front leaning over their low wired fence, offering comments about the Saints chances. It was another world to me and very scary for a small boy.

Could go on and on - good memories, but things have changed and will continue to do so.
Yeah, things have changed. No doubt about that!

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Exactly.

It's small things like that which enhance the feeling of 'club'.

Our club has been very poor at embracing the fan base. Very poor.

Our goal was to hit 45,000 - yet we haven't even reached 40,000!

Why the club clams up when the team is playing badly is beyond me. What are they doing - really doing - to make this club feel like a club?\

I get really frustrated by it. I know others do too.

I don't want to waste my money, time and emotions into an empty vacuum. The club needs to shake itself out of this supporter malaise and connect with the fans.

Make us feel part of something, not as a customer in a queue.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

The President's Lunch was cancelled because it "wasn't making money." :!:

Might be that a few well healed supporters and others may have enjoyed the occasion and would be interested in future "contributions." :roll:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It may not be completely there yet, but the club had done better involving the supporters through social media this year.

There has been heaps of open training, weekly updates from Misson, Saints player interviews, Friday factor, Monday wrap up, newsletters.

ACTSAINTER
Club Player

The soul IS the players
Barks, Joffa, Spud, Buckets, Harvs, Max,Burkey,Lenny,BJ (angry soul), Milney etc

Needed more soul 09 GF (Max)
10 GF, soul nearly got us over the line

When two teams are evenly matched some dig deeper than others IMO

"Oh I do love to be beside the sea side..........................................."
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:Ahhhh.... Soul.....

yes !!!! the folks on the outer yell that every time i bend over.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

ACTSAINTER wrote: Needed more soul 09 GF (Max)
someone gets it!
ross is a good coach - but failed to recognise this aspect imo - it seperates good from great, tryhards from the legends.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I feel like we go over this an awful lot, but what if Max had a recurring injury go ping early in the game?

We'd be oozing soul, but we wouldn't of had a full back.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

lucky for thompson he took that gamble on chapman - and his hammy did go ping!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I agree that a genuine home is part of the "soul" of a club. Maybe this is why Geelong are still having success, because of their home ground that helps keep the supporters in love with the club.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:It may not be completely there yet, but the club had done better involving the supporters through social media this year.

There has been heaps of open training, weekly updates from Misson, Saints player interviews, Friday factor, Monday wrap up, newsletters.
Social media? Weekly updates? Friday factor? Monday Wrap up? Newsletters.
Not much soul in that lot.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
SainterK wrote:It may not be completely there yet, but the club had done better involving the supporters through social media this year.

Social media? Weekly updates? Friday factor? Monday Wrap up? Newsletters.
Not much soul in that lot.
It's all about faith and a deeper devotion... :wink: