Just Some Thoughts.........

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Burkey 1
Club Player

Just Some Thoughts.........

At the risk of copping some wrath from my fellow sainters I am going to put forward some thoughts.

I think in the off season we should not let previous track records prevent us from recruiting talented personnel on & off the field.

I think we should seriously consider employing Wayne Carey as our full time forwards coach.

secondly also recruit matthew knights as an assistant coach who can teach our players how to play attacking footy again.

thirdly, do everything we can to recruit Chris Pelchin the ex Hawthorn recruiting guy, I believe they have done some real smart recruiting over the years.

Lastly, either develop Will Johnson as our Full Forward, recruit Tom Hawkins & teach him under Wayne carey or gamble ( wrong choice of words ) on Fevola, if he comes good he must be worth a punt if he has turned his life around, look at Krakour at Collingwood, sometimes you have to consider a calculated gamble, I know many of you will bring up Lovett but I think fevola was missing his kids and being back in melbourne and close to his family he might be a whole lot more settled.

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth !!! Fire away guys !!!

PaytonPlace
Club Player

Re: Just Some Thoughts.........

Burkey 1 wrote:At the risk of copping some wrath from my fellow sainters I am going to put forward some thoughts.

I think in the off season we should not let previous track records prevent us from recruiting talented personnel on & off the field.

I think we should seriously consider employing Wayne Carey as our full time forwards coach.

secondly also recruit matthew knights as an assistant coach who can teach our players how to play attacking footy again.

thirdly, do everything we can to recruit Chris Pelchin the ex Hawthorn recruiting guy, I believe they have done some real smart recruiting over the years.

Lastly, either develop Will Johnson as our Full Forward, recruit Tom Hawkins & teach him under Wayne carey or gamble ( wrong choice of words ) on Fevola, if he comes good he must be worth a punt if he has turned his life around, look at Krakour at Collingwood, sometimes you have to consider a calculated gamble, I know many of you will bring up Lovett but I think fevola was missing his kids and being back in melbourne and close to his family he might be a whole lot more settled.

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth !!! Fire away guys !!!
I'd definitely give a big no to Hawkins.

In a system that relies on the individual player to self motivate and coach themselves to the point the locals down in Sleepy Hollow wonder what Mark Thompson did for all those years (I know that's slightly unfair but it's what they believe) Tom Hawkins has never once shown a genuine interest in getting his body right or committing entirely to excellence.

Our season is on the line against North Melbourne, if we lose I'd rather we committed to quality kids of substance and standing than recycling a man who won't get his body in shape or a circus in Fevola. Might be more prudent to wait and attack some of the Gold Coast youngsters coming out of contract at the end of 2012?

Pelchen, I will give you. Although the circumstances of his departure from Hawthorn seem cloudy. We could do with a commitment to excellent kicks. Carey and Knights? Hmmm...how do you think their egos (especially Careys) would go in Ross's self confessed "difficult" environment?

Mark Neeld and Scott Watters will probably be available at years end, the architects of the toothless ones structure - fancy them?

Becca

SaintSimmo
Club Player

Re: Just Some Thoughts.........

I agree with your points about Chris Pelchin and developing Will Johnson as a Full Forward.

However, I wouldn't recruit Tom Hawkins or Fevola, to much of a risk, we dont need anymore players going off the rails and in the headlines.

Wayne Carey could work, that could be a calculated risk and could prove a master move. All depends on how good of a coach he could be, if he is half decent he could help Roo with his kicking :wink:

Lastly, Matthew Knights? NO!!!
I think we have shown over the past few weeks we are capable of attacking, but the problem is being able to defend when the ball is turned over, this was matthew knights problem as the coach of essendon. He was all attack and no defence.

Good post though, sure to attract some attention. :)

Sainter for life.