Tall Forwards

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Tall Forwards

Im still gutted about Jarryd Allen.

But I still have hope that Stanley, Johnson, Cahill, Archer can all play a bit. Cahill and Stanley need to get a wriggle on but I still have hopes in all 4 of them. If 1 of them steps up in the next 12 months we might be ok.

(note that Jarred Grant from the Dogs kicked 8 in the VFL this weekend)

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It depends on the trend of the game Con, big bodied forwards are the in form ones at the moment.

Cloke, Petrie, Kennedy...

Perhaps the game will evolve back to suiting the slight more athletic forward soon, but until then, they will struggle to make an impact IMO.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Give them some games so that we can see what they can contribute.
If not, why did we recruit them in the first place. :!:

Geelong's team that beat Adelaide over the weekend, had 8 players with fewer than 20 games experience, so it can be done.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

who says we need our own stand-alone reserves team, so that the style of play is the same?
For much of the game it was too many missed targets, too many handballs, and far too many behinds punctuated by some terrific acts of courage and desperation to force the ball into goal scoring situations.
sounds like they were playing exactly like the senior team!

St Nick

Re: Tall Forwards

Con Gorozidis wrote:Im still gutted about Jarryd Allen.

But I still have hope that Stanley, Johnson, Cahill, Archer can all play a bit. Cahill and Stanley need to get a wriggle on but I still have hopes in all 4 of them. If 1 of them steps up in the next 12 months we might be ok.

(note that Jarred Grant from the Dogs kicked 8 in the VFL this weekend)
It will be very difficult for them to make it at St Kilda vwhile Lyon is coach. If Stanley was at Geelong he would be approaching his 50th game by now. Lyon must tell Stanley that his career is on the line and he is giving him the rest of the season to prove himself.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

St Nick said :
It will be very difficult for them to make it at St Kilda vwhile Lyon is coach. If Stanley was at Geelong he would be approaching his 50th game by now. Lyon must tell Stanley that his career is on the line and he is giving him the rest of the season to prove himself.
I tend to agree with you St Nick. Stanley was recruited for his speed and height - looked like good recruiting. However, he has played poorly at Sandy and not warranted further selection. We have no back-up for McEvoy, Blake & Kosi are out, so give Rhyse his opportuniy - 4 consecutive games or so and see how he goes (and don't expect miracles either).

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

oops - I forgot about Stanley's "hamstring injury."

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Why give Stanley game time? He stuffed up preseason and hasn't looked like he is doing anything to change his situation. I would hope he will push for selection, until then give guys like Johnson a go who are tearing down the door trying to get a game.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Go after Mitch BROWN from Geelong...

Go after Mitch BROWN from Geelong...they cant hang on to all of there tall forwards and he is going to be a beauty !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Go after Mitch BROWN from Geelong...

WinnersOnly wrote:Go after Mitch BROWN from Geelong...they cant hang on to all of there tall forwards and he is going to be a beauty !
So they are going to get rid of their beauty. Dont that unless he isnt as good as you think.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

we do have a worrying trend of delisting players without really knowing whether or not they're good enough.

Geelong is a good model... name 1 ex-cat out there blitzing it up for their new club.

When they cut a player, they know damn well that he's not up to it.

Moloney doesn't count as he was a forced trade due to SC pressures and is still pbly the least best when compared to the midfielders they chose to keep instead

when we cut players their is still a lot of debate amongst supporters wheter or not they r good enough

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:we do have a worrying trend of delisting players without really knowing whether or not they're good enough.

Geelong is a good model... name 1 ex-cat out there blitzing it up for their new club.

Moloney doesn't count as he was a forced trade due to SC pressures and is still pbly the least best when compared to the midfielders they chose to keep instead

when we cut players their is still a lot of debate amongst supporters wheter or not they r good enough
Who are all these delisted players you speak of? Guerra and who else?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:we do have a worrying trend of delisting players without really knowing whether or not they're good enough.

On the other hand, name one ex-saint (who we cut) that is blitzing it somewhere else?
In fact name any players that were actually cut, who are now above average, it's so rare, all clubs hold onto any half-decent players if they can…
Roden, Bradley, Ray, Mattner, R Shaw, - clutching at straws really, I can't think of any guns…?

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote:

Shane Mumford.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:
skeptic wrote:

Shane Mumford.
They didn't let him go, he left for more money.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

dragit wrote:
#1GILL wrote:
skeptic wrote:

Shane Mumford.
Wasn't that the point, that they can't hold on to all their talent?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:
dragit wrote:
#1GILL wrote:
skeptic wrote: Geelong is a good model... name 1 ex-cat out there blitzing it up for their new club.
Shane Mumford.
I thought we were talking about delisting players that hadn't had a chance to prove themselves, I think Cats were pretty keen to keep Mumford.
Either way, I don't reckon any clubs get rid of any players that are half-decent, unless they have off-field or attitude problems…

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

dragit wrote:
#1GILL wrote:
dragit wrote:
#1GILL wrote:
skeptic wrote: Geelong is a good model... name 1 ex-cat out there blitzing it up for their new club.
Shane Mumford.
I thought we were talking about delisting players that hadn't had a chance to prove themselves, I think Cats were pretty keen to keep Mumford.
Either way, I don't reckon any clubs get rid of any players that are half-decent, unless they have off-field or attitude problems…
Sorry I got confused with WinnersOnly's post about not being to hang on to Mitch Brown. Yes they definitely wanted to hang on to Mumford but Sydney offered him a million dollars and a 4 year contract, no player in Mumford's position would have turned that down.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I'll give this a go

At the moment we have Will Johnson, Rhy Stanley and Paul Cahill all seeimingly on the verge of being cut.
We've been playing an out of form Kosi and not really tried anyone else as forward (mind you we've not cut any of them yet but still) Johnson in particular has the hallmark of a player thatwe will cut b4 giving him a chance

Matty Ferguson spent years on our list and barely played after his 2nd year, showed a lot of potential in his last season taking 5 cont marks vs Melb (missed all his set shots though)
Gone but never played enough kids for us to see what he had

Alan Murray and Mark McGough didn't really get many chances

Barry Brooks played stuff all games despite having a good lastseason in the reserves

Luke Miles showed something andhad potential

Adam Pattison looked ok in his 2 games

Heck even Armitage was seemingly on the verge of being cut having barely gotten a game over 5 years.

I'm not saying that that list is full of champions but the majority of these guys didn't get many chances despite our club lacklustre players infront of them at teams and having lean patches of form too

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Matty Ferguson

Alan Murray and Mark McGough

Barry Brooks

Luke Miles

Adam Pattison
*shudder*

Ferguson was cut prematurely and very unlucky with injury. He genuinely was coming good. The rest were nowhere near it.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saint58
Club Player

SainterK wrote:It depends on the trend of the game Con, big bodied forwards are the in form ones at the moment.

Cloke, Petrie, Kennedy...

Perhaps the game will evolve back to suiting the slight more athletic forward soon, but until then, they will struggle to make an impact IMO.
Archer 193 cm 99kg big bodied
Walsh 195 cm 97 kg big bodied
Johnson 191 cm 91 kg big bodied
Stanley 202 cm 95 kg is getting there
Cahill 192 cm 87 kg needs to get bigger.

So we do have at least 3 big bodied young key forwards (if they ever get there chance) in the club.

They are all playing well at sandy but ross has droped his youth policy now so maybe next season we will see these guys.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

For those we recruit, the Football Dep't must think that they have reasonable prospects of playing AFL, or do we just recruit duds (no comedy required) ?

In our current situation, we need to bite the bullet and play them - there are 10 matches to go. The young guys will be taking the place of "bottom 6" players, so it will not destroy our competitvenss. By doing this we can go into the trade/draft period, with a good handle on who we should be keeping.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Will Johnson should come in this week and play predominately full forward (of course with the obligatory swapping around with Roo and Benny Mac) as RL seems to like doing.

Will didn't get a chance to play FF in his only game because, from memory, Roo was virtually playing there the first quarter before Will was concussed.

Let's have a look at him for 3 to 4 games Ross. PLEASE!

I'd also like to see Siposs come in as I think he may really be something but imo he may not be ready yet for the rough and tumble but a few more games in a row this season in the seniors would be good.

I'M EXCITED!! :D

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Prismal, Mololney, Kingy, That tool that was captain and went to north, carlton got a guy this year that I forget his name also. they also lost a first rounder to the dogs in Djerkura. Geelong isn't any different, just lucky that some speculative talent worked.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:I'll give this a go

At the moment we have Will Johnson, Rhy Stanley and Paul Cahill all seeimingly on the verge of being cut.
We've been playing an out of form Kosi and not really tried anyone else as forward (mind you we've not cut any of them yet but still) Johnson in particular has the hallmark of a player thatwe will cut b4 giving him a chance

Matty Ferguson spent years on our list and barely played after his 2nd year, showed a lot of potential in his last season taking 5 cont marks vs Melb (missed all his set shots though)
Gone but never played enough kids for us to see what he had

Alan Murray and Mark McGough didn't really get many chances

Barry Brooks played stuff all games despite having a good lastseason in the reserves

Luke Miles showed something andhad potential

Adam Pattison looked ok in his 2 games

Heck even Armitage was seemingly on the verge of being cut having barely gotten a game over 5 years.

I'm not saying that that list is full of champions but the majority of these guys didn't get many chances despite our club lacklustre players infront of them at teams and having lean patches of form too
Where are they now?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell