MATCH THREAD

sunsaint wrote:north had their chances and blew it
Saints win
Stk 79
NM 70
concur, shutting shop for a quarter is asking to be murdered.

at least we didn't shut up shop at 1/2 time as we tried to do against Geelong.

4 points is 4 points, and we are still in the big game atm, against an in form side, north were 2 games ahead of us, and in solid form.

What have we learned?

The talent is still there, the head space is still shakey.

A brilliant 2nd quarter, a workmanlike 3rd quarter, and a dogsbody 4th quarter.

North won't lose any confidence over this, they know we are talented and they came within some dodgy goal skills themselves of pushing for a final 8 position.

IF we beat Port next week (who knows with our lot we lost to the crows :() we will be 1 game out of the 8, given that Carlton will beat the dogs (highly likely), Collingwood beat North (highly likely) Essendon beat the tigers (highly likely) and 1 game out of the 8.

We lost a swag of potential points earlier in the season, but we CAN making our own fate now.

Port will be looking at us as vulnerable, sure we are far more talented than them, but they know we are weak in the head.
Last edited by Dan Warna on Sun 03 Jul 2011 8:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan Warna wrote:North won't lose any confidence over this, they know we are talented and they came within some dodgy goal skills themselves of pushing for a final 8 position.
though they did have just 45 marks in an entire game of footy. that's unbelievable under a roof.

AdelaideSainter

will take the win. Wont take much momentum into next week though.

Port here in Adelaide.

Dan Warna wrote:
sunsaint wrote:north had their chances and blew it
Saints win
Stk 79
NM 70
concur, shutting shop for a quarter is asking to be murdered.

at least we didn't shut up shop at 1/2 time as we tried to do against Geelong.

4 points is 4 points, and we are still in the big game atm, against an in form side, north were 2 games ahead of us, and in solid form.

What have we learned?

The talent is still there, the head space is still shakey.

A brilliant 2nd quarter, a workmanlike 3rd quarter, and a dogsbody 4th quarter.

North won't lose any confidence over this, they know we are talented and they came within some dodgy goal skills themselves of pushing for a final 8 position.
Ditto. Last quarter they were too preoccupied with stopping them scoring than rather getting more goals on the board themselves.

Well we are one of few teams that have won after the bye :P

Middo

Little Dozer wrote:Zac Dawson should be sacked, fair dinkum joke of a footballer.
Petrie two goals sums it up !!! Fool

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!

Middo wrote:
Little Dozer wrote:Zac Dawson should be sacked, fair dinkum joke of a footballer.
Yeah good point. Sometimes I really wonder if some on here are happier when we loose.

What game do some people watch, how can anyone think that Dawson, Gram and Gamble were valuable contributors today.

These blokes should NEVER pull on a Saints jumper again!!!

saintbob wrote:What game do some people watch, how can anyone think that Dawson, Gram and Dawson were valuable contributors today.

You shouldnt use your computer again.

saintjake

Petrie kicked two goals because it was a great team defensive effort and he was double teamed all the time. Zac did some good spoils. but his stupid crap out weighs his good stuff

saintbob wrote:What game do some people watch, how can anyone think that Dawson, Gram and Dawson were valuable contributors today.

Do we have 2 Dawsons?

Just over Dawson, he's about as good a footballer as I am a typist!!!

saintbob wrote:What game do some people watch, how can anyone think that Dawson, Gram and Gamble were valuable contributors today.

Dont know what game you were watching because even the commentators were saying he was getting the rough end of the stick from the umps. To my eye he made one clanger with help from team mates held Petrie to 2 goals and was a valuable player in the backline.

That free against for deliberate was the most inept call from the umps all day. They were bad for both teams.

saintbob wrote:What game do some people watch, how can anyone think that Dawson, Gram and Gamble were valuable contributors today.

Gram was very ordinary, I suspect a confidence issue, he can get the ball, but his decision making seems...absent :(

I think gram running through the midfield is something we are genuinely missing from our game.

Dawson has been ok, not brilliant, serviceable. Gamble had a rough game.

Dan Warna wrote:

Gram was very ordinary, I suspect a confidence issue, he can get the ball, but his decision making seems...absent :(

I think gram running through the midfield is something we are genuinely missing from our game.

Dawson has been ok, not brilliant, serviceable. Gamble had a rough game.
And Thomas kicked how many?

Old Mate wrote:Saints kicked 10 goals in the first half, 2 in the second (none in the last).

A wins a win but geez we consistently make it difficult.
I'd like to know who made the decision to effectively start running down the clock half way through the final quarter...very, very risky proposition. Left North in it. If it was the players, where was the coaching directive to cease and desist...if it was given, the players seemed to ignore it.

mullet wrote:
Middo wrote:
Yeah good point. Sometimes I really wonder if some on here are happier when we loose.
Plenty are.

You wont see them around here when we win.

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)

saintbob wrote:

Just over Dawson, he's about as good a footballer as I am a typist!!!
mate, you should go and watch some other sport because you are making a dill oof yourself with your comments on here.

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)

Old Mate wrote:Saints kicked 10 goals in the first half, 2 in the second (none in the last).

I'd like to know who made the decision to effectively start running down the clock half way through the final quarter...very, very risky proposition. Left North in it. If it was the players, where was the coaching directive to cease and desist...if it was given, the players seemed to ignore it.
Exactly. I doubt the players would play against team rules so often. We looked tired so that obviously comes into it but we shut games down too often for it not to be a coaching direction.

Wow i made a thread that went 10 pages :shock: :wink:

I'm nervously hopeful.

I see us on an upward spiral. A little scratch of confidence, a few points, a bit of percentage etc.

Zac did ok tonight, the ump may have tried to make him look less than ok but came out on top, well done and the spanner of the week award to the goose who wanted him sacked.
The kick by Gilbert near the end nearly cost us the game...
and Joey? not up to scratch?

but the umps were funny how they tried their best to make the game a close one near the end, I didn't know they were allowed to do that. :?

Middo

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!

Exactly. I doubt the players would play against team rules so often. We looked tired so that obviously comes into it but we shut games down too often for it not to be a coaching direction.
Fatigue was definitely an issue, but sometimes taking the foot off creates more work...unless desperate efforts to defend turnovers in our D50 absorb less energy than playing on into attack.

Dan Warna wrote:I'm nervously hopeful.

I see us on an upward spiral. A little scratch of confidence, a few points, a bit of percentage etc.
You've been around long enough Dan to know when we aren't up to scratch...the finals will embarrass us atm.