Defensive BS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Would rather lose than play like that !

WinnersOnly wrote:Would rather lose than play like that - the last quarter was disgraceful RL
Would rather win a Premiership than be a stylish second.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

We are a defensive minded team, its easy for any normal person to see. Not saying that it is always a bad thing but when people question discussion on it and disagree with it, just becomes a joke.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:The fact we had 4 extras behind the ball, tells us something.....you dont have to a genius to know that we attepted to stop them scoring.....and put less emphasis on scoring.....

But hey, plugger you know so much more than me.....so we should just believe that the player took it upon themselves to slow the game to a walk
Were you at the game?
Why do you keep saying this crap. Seriously mate watching it on TV/going to the game, does that determine footy knowledge. Get real.
Well that sums up your footy knowledge. It is nil. How can someone say there were 4 extras behind the ball from watching TV. That is funny.
4 extras behind the ball? didn't say it so don't use crap to suit your argument. Shows how desperate you are and how much of an idiot you are coming across as. You make me laugh, fool.
Read why I said it. I pity your whole family. I can PM you with how tha game is played if it will help you but you may beyond help.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:There were 2 bad choices in the last 1/4 - Armitage should not have passed, McEvoy should have taken a shot. Would have changed the way you are all seeing the game.
Yep - both in the forward line - both kickable.

My head almost exploded when Mac dished off to a marked Schneider.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

No need to get personal guys and girls.

It's a balancing act. I agree that we are much more likely to lose when we start kicking backwards. We look much better when we attack, and we'll get beaten every week if we play that ultra-defensive gamestyle for the majority of games.

On the flip-side, we won the game. Also, a premiership is built on a solid defense. It's important to be able to stop an opposition's flow when they get a run-on. At the end of the day, the result is all that matters, and we won, so Ross deserves credit for that.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

No i wasnt...

But obviously you were in the huddle, as your are able to dismiss others so easily, you must know.....

Evidence suggests otherwise.....and terry wallace was there, he thoght so....

Did you happen to notice Ray, Goddard, Fisher....playing behind the ball, and to top it off, big nick wandered down there.....and dont forget ben...

Lucky they were so drew conscious, it sort of came off....

Btw i thought ross coached well.....we looked gone at one stage

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:The fact we had 4 extras behind the ball, tells us something.....you dont have to a genius to know that we attepted to stop them scoring.....and put less emphasis on scoring.....

But hey, plugger you know so much more than me.....so we should just believe that the player took it upon themselves to slow the game to a walk
Were you at the game?
Why do you keep saying this crap. Seriously mate watching it on TV/going to the game, does that determine footy knowledge. Get real.
Well that sums up your footy knowledge. It is nil. How can someone say there were 4 extras behind the ball from watching TV. That is funny.
4 extras behind the ball? didn't say it so don't use crap to suit your argument. Shows how desperate you are and how much of an idiot you are coming across as. You make me laugh, fool.
Read why I said it. I pity your whole family. I can PM you with how tha game is played if it will help you but you may beyond help.
I don't pity your family because my guess is that they have very little to do with do so it works out quite well for them. You are seriously making a fool of yourself, but I guess you are use to it.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

joffaboy wrote:
fingers wrote:There were 2 bad choices in the last 1/4 - Armitage should not have passed, McEvoy should have taken a shot. Would have changed the way you are all seeing the game.
Yep - both in the forward line - both kickable.

My head almost exploded when Mac dished off to a marked Schneider.
I can't remember the Armo one but McEvoy also took a mark 30m out on an angle and tried to pass to Roo.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

no need for the PM, I'd like to know too, plugger, so tell us here. How is the game played???

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:No i wasnt...

But obviously you were in the huddle, as your are able to dismiss others so easily, you must know.....

Did you happen to notice Ray, Goddard, Fisher....playing behind the ball, and to top it off, big nick wandered down there.....and dont forget ben...

The difference I dont know what happened at three quarter time where as you seem to know. Yes I noticed players behind the ball in the last. I noticed it the first, second and third as well.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:No i wasnt...

Good thing he did, their midfield started smashing us...unlike some on here, Ross probably knew they were going to come.

Did well to relatively hold them for 3 quarters, and I'm sure Brad would of challenged them at the break in the third.

Swallow, Harvey, Wells....all needed to lift, because they were getting towelled up until then to be perfectly honest.

Hate to have seen the response on here if Ross hadn't made the moves, and we'd been run over in the last.

I'm not arguing that he didn't do it, I just don't believe it was a 'defend our lead' move more than a 'they are coming' move

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

next week we play port away , the bottom team , if we play that shite we played in the second half , we'll lose and make them look good !
A win next week by less than 5 goals SHOULD be unacceptable !

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:next week we play port away , the bottom team , if we play that shite we played in the second half , we'll lose and make them look good !
A win next week by less than 5 goals SHOULD be unacceptable !
I agree i hate wins if they arent big enough. By the way does anyone know if it a full moon tonight?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Are you believing what your saying, or taking the piss...

I hope for your sake, your extracting the urine....otherwise, you are a sad person.....

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Evidence suggests otherwise.....and terry wallace was there, he thoght so....
Terry was in the huddle?
Wow

Did you hear RL's interview on Foxtel after the game. if you did you are directly calling him a liar because he stated exactly what happened in the 4th qtr.

But of course Terry Wallace that great tactical coach would know more about the Saints and their state of condition at 3/4 time wouldn't they?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Are you believing what your saying, or taking the piss...

I hope for your sake, your extracting the urine....otherwise, you are a sad person.....
Sad because I dont knock players or the coach. Your idea of sad worries me. And you actually said you coached. think that may be a little fib unless you pick out as many faults as possible after wins.

I know some guys played ordinary but it is the way people say it. Or the knowledge thay seem to think they know. Lets face not one person here knows what RL did at three quarter time but some pretend to know.

St Nick

Re: Defensive BS

BonoRocks wrote:Dear Ross.
All year we look like a rabble when we try to slow it up and chip it around and actually look ok when we play on and attack. Its what gets us in good positions, run with it, that last quarter is a crock of SH!T
Fully agree with you BonoRocks. Crock of s*** indeed.

SainterX
Club Player

Positive - keep kicking it forwards for the whole game and if our opponents get the ball it will be in their defensive 50, and if they don't we are one kick away from a score.

Negative - keep kicking it backwards, and if our opponents get the ball, they score, and if they don't get the ball we are still only one bad kick away from being scored on.

Now which sounds better? :P

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SainterX wrote:Now which sounds better? :P
The Saints theme song at game end compared to the north theme song?

Lance or James??

Saints Angel
Club Player

Yes we won and thats great. I would of loved to see tha Saints play like they did in the second quarter. We should of put North away but instead we limped to a 9 point win. Saints of old would not of done that.

SainterX
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
SainterX wrote:Now which sounds better? :P
The Saints theme song at game end compared to the north theme song?
Well that goes without saying :twisted:

But with deference to Sam, BJ and the other good'uns in defense I would much prefer our forward line attempt to take a contested mark then some of our backline.

If the opp get the ball in our forward line they gotta execute 3-5 good kicks/handballs to get a shot. If they get it in our backline they only gotta perfect one.

A true king doesn't glass his girlfriend.
A true king doesn't smear his blood on an opponent when he cannot break a tag.
A true king does not label umpires disgraceful.
A true king is Robert Harvey.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Saints Angel wrote:Yes we won and thats great. I would of loved to see tha Saints play like they did in the second quarter. We should of put North away but instead we limped to a 9 point win. Saints of old would not of done that.
Apparently the game goes for four quarters, and believe it or not, football teams are full of humans who get tired.

Especially when you are coming off the bye.

No other team has been able to win off the bye. We have done it twice.

And which Saints of old? We limped to many a win in 2009 and 2010. Dont delude yourself.

Lance or James??

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Ok, so we won, and all is well in the world...

North let us off the hook, and realistically they lost the game, we didn't win it...

We got lucky, North couldn't nail us, and we got the points..

Good results, onto next week...

But that gameplan in the last is going to get us nowhere but further south if it is persisted with...

We're the only team in the comp that still regularly holds the ball in the air to play tempo footy...

2009 finished 2 seasons ago...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Terry was making comment after the game.....

He played 250 games, 4 premierships and 4 best and farests

Then he coached 200 games..... He knows the caper

Not the greatest coach, but has some clue....especially on a simple observation such as set up.....

Put it this way

I know p66 has me covered....but terry is almost at his level....infact, i will back terry in......and he was there.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:North let us off the hook, and realistically they lost the game, we didn't win it...
No they didn't. We won it and strangled North - the most inform team over the past month.
Sobraz wrote:We got lucky, North couldn't nail us, and we got the points..
No they got lucky WE let them off the hook. Three marks inside 50 in the final qtr and NOT ONE SHOT AT GOAL.
Sobraz wrote:But that gameplan in the last is going to get us nowhere but further south if it is persisted with...
You mean the gameplan that yielded 7 goals in a qtr before we ran out of legs?
Sobraz wrote:We're the only team in the comp that still regularly holds the ball in the air to play tempo footy...
So holding the ball above the head means that??? Really?
Sobraz wrote:2009 finished 2 seasons ago...
So it did.

Lance or James??