Sad Kosi Story

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Fair go. The hit on Kosi was fair - shoulder to shoulder. Kosi was injured from the head clash and then hitting the turf. Head clashes happen and always will. If he collected his head with his shoulder or arm or body then it's a different story. Its just unfortunate that there was a head clash.
Have a look at the video above - their heads clashed in mid-air due to Gia jumping off the ground - now illegal.

Gia looked at Kosi and launched himself..... :shock:
Well the MRP reviewed the bump and said it was ok (I realise that's not saying a lot considering the MRP'S inconsistency). It looks like incidental contact to me. You don't think that Giansiricua intentional launched a flying head-but do you?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Fair go. The hit on Kosi was fair - shoulder to shoulder. Kosi was injured from the head clash and then hitting the turf. Head clashes happen and always will. If he collected his head with his shoulder or arm or body then it's a different story. Its just unfortunate that there was a head clash.
Have a look at the video above - their heads clashed in mid-air due to Gia jumping off the ground - now illegal.

Well the MRP reviewed the bump and said it was ok (I realise that's not saying a lot considering the MRP'S inconsistency). It looks like incidental contact to me. You don't think that Giansiricua intentional launched a flying head-but do you?
I reckon his intent was malicious, his target was the head, and to throw another five bob in, I reckon the point of his shoulder caught the big guy's chin. So for mine he shoulda gone. But it don't matter so much now, does it.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Saintdooley has successfully made me hate the cheer squad, I now look on them as a petty agenda driven bunch of haters that boo our players and don't even go hard when they are at our games. The interstaters do a better job with less numbers, someone should outsource them to China.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Old Mate wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:

MRP should have a different view of it now - AFL rules are supposed to have changed to better protect the head, including leaping off the ground.
Not sure about an intentional flying headbutt - but it was reckless and high contact at the very least, no duty of care.

Gia is a sniper IMO, it's not the first or second time I've seen him line someone up.....

Hold your ground :shock:
SaintScottOfSydney

The article conveys all the fears we have for Kosi.

However, they are our fears, not the opinions of the people in charge of Kosi's health. The article isn't overly bad as an op-ed, but that's it

I can't believe Eddie McGuire and I have the Celtic Football Club in common...he should be a Hun
Moods
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:

Now illegal.

Not then though. Ppl are viewing the bump like it occurred in the last 2 years. I'm pretty sure that Stan Magro's hit on Alex Jesalenko in 1979 at Princes Park wasn't illegal either. Nor was Justin Murphy's hit on Silvagni in 2005 (I think)

Even as recent as 2006 picking blokes off unexpectedly was deemed legal if done within the rules. Anyone who played footy pre 2000 will be able to cite examples of being picked off in various circumstances within the vicinity of the ball. It happened all the time. It's only in the last few years they have changed it.

A true test of whether it is deemed a dogs act is venture into any pub and speak with neutral supporters about it. I reckon 90% would say that the injury occurred purely b/c of Kos's lack of awareness.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
saintdooley wrote:
St Lenny wrote:Koz has definately taken some hard knocks but I think he has absolutely glorified the hit by Giancercusa. I hate that low dog and hard pressed to think of a player I have disliked more. :evil:
why? it was a bloody good bump. kosi was within 5 metres of the ball and within the rules Giansiracusa has pumped him. nothing wrong with that. it was just a shame their heads clashed slightly also, then to top it off kosi's head hit the hard Etihad surface.
Rubbish, would of got weeks had it happened in the current environment.

It didn't happen in the current environment and the youtube clip has no relevance six weeks after the fact. He sounded pissed.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
avid
Club Player

We all saw it from different angles. But from where I did, it seemed like a good straighforward shepherding bump. I was horrified that Kosi didn't see it coming -- I was assuming he'd just raise his shoulder and fend it off. Next minute he looked dead on the ground. Really an aweful moment. But it never struck me to blame Giansiracusa.

As for the clever poster who called him Gianshitacusa, I'd be a little more careful with your lethal humour when you have a player called Koschitzke in your own side.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

In reference to the OP, it was known at the draft camp that Kosi had problems with his peripheral vision, it was not a consequence of the Gia bump, but was the reason he didn't see Gia coming.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Saintdooley has successfully made me hate the cheer squad, I now look on them as a petty agenda driven bunch of haters that boo our players and don't even go hard when they are at our games. The interstaters do a better job with less numbers, someone should outsource them to China.
I find that extremely unfair on the hundreds of other cheersquad members..
do you stay away from games because you can't stand a supporter who may post something you disagree with in a newspaper article, forum or on a media interview...
people have gut reactions for all sorts of reasons- some state them ferociously and immediatly ( Roo should be sacked he can't kick a goal 20 minutes before he kicks 3 and gives us the game)
some have long standing reactions and will never see anything different.

you are basing your reaction on information posted on a forum with threads that are can be facetious and factual. and at no point are lie detectors required for either..

unfair
Last edited by saintbrat on Tue 05 Jul 2011 12:03am, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:

Now illegal.

Not then though. Ppl are viewing the bump like it occurred in the last 2 years. I'm pretty sure that Stan Magro's hit on Alex Jesalenko in 1979 at Princes Park wasn't illegal either. Nor was Justin Murphy's hit on Silvagni in 2005 (I think)

Even as recent as 2006 picking blokes off unexpectedly was deemed legal if done within the rules. Anyone who played footy pre 2000 will be able to cite examples of being picked off in various circumstances within the vicinity of the ball. It happened all the time. It's only in the last few years they have changed it.

A true test of whether it is deemed a dogs act is venture into any pub and speak with neutral supporters about it. I reckon 90% would say that the injury occurred purely b/c of Kos's lack of awareness.

Only because of what they know about Kosi since that incident,but prior to the dog act they wouldn't have arrived at that opinion, not based on anything known at the time....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
St Lenny
Club Player

So most seem to think that Giansarcusa cheap shot on Koz was ok (give me strength), then tell me why they changed the rule. AND then honestly tell me, if Bakes had of done it, do you think he would have got off.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
SainterK wrote:
saintdooley wrote:
St Lenny wrote:Koz has definately taken some hard knocks but I think he has absolutely glorified the hit by Giancercusa. I hate that low dog and hard pressed to think of a player I have disliked more. :evil:
why? it was a bloody good bump. kosi was within 5 metres of the ball and within the rules Giansiracusa has pumped him. nothing wrong with that. it was just a shame their heads clashed slightly also, then to top it off kosi's head hit the hard Etihad surface.

It didn't happen in the current environment and the youtube clip has no relevance six weeks after the fact. He sounded pissed.
True, but Dooley said there is nothing wrong with the bump, and I was simply pointing out there is now.

The reason I included that clip because it had clear vision of the bump, the other one on youtube is grainy.

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

Giansiracusa is an unmitigated little *ssh*le...that was a charge off the ball.
It was cowardly 'cause he was unsighted by Kozzi. A sniper's effort.

For a few brief moments, I felt sorry for the Dogs after the siren in the '09 Prelim...then I remembered that so-called 'bump' and just thought 'Suffer!"

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
SainterK wrote:
saintdooley wrote:

True, but Dooley said there is nothing wrong with the bump, and I was simply pointing out there is now.

The reason I included that clip because it had clear vision of the bump, the other one on youtube is grainy.
Sorry I missed the last 3 seconds of the clip, but there was nothing wrong with the bump in my opinion.

westy
Club Player

I am absolutely pissed that some pricks on here actually defending Giansirracusa's dog act. Call yourself f****** supporters eh?

I'm livin' in a madhouse
westy
Club Player

Oh, and the other thing is that the current climate has got no relevance. At the time, by any measure, it was still a dog act.

I'm livin' in a madhouse
Furphy
Club Player

westy wrote:Oh, and the other thing is that the current climate has got no relevance. At the time, by any measure, it was still a dog act.
Hear hear! If Baker did anything like Gia did that day to Kosi, his career would be over!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
SainterK wrote:
saintdooley wrote:

Are you sure you're not pissed with that last snide remark?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:
Johnny Member wrote: No it wasn't.

Giansuricusa left the ground to bump him. That was illegal from the time Pickett pole-axed that Hawthorn bloke in 2005.

You can't jump to bump someone and get them high.

He clearly left the ground, and got him in the head - which according to the laws of the game should have resulted in a suspension.
that has just come straight out of the hole located located under your sacrum.

It was a fair bump and if it was vice versa nobody on here would of had a problem with it.
Which part?

The part that says it's illegal to bump a guy when you leave the ground, and make contact to their head?

That's fact. It's a law of the game, and has been since 2005.

Or Giansiracusa leaving the ground to bump Kosi? That's also fact.

So it wasn't fair at all. It was illegal as per the rules of the game.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
SainterK wrote:
saintdooley wrote:

Sorry I missed the last 3 seconds of the clip, but there was nothing wrong with the bump in my opinion.
Nothing wrong in what sense?

He left the ground, and made contact with a players head - so it's illegal.

You're not allowed to do that. It's one of the clearest rules in the game.

He left the ground to bump Kosi, and made contact to his head. It's incredibly clear cut that it was illegal.

Whether it was a 'dog act' or immoral, cowardly, whatever, I don't know. Don't even really care. But it was most definitely an illegal bump as per the laws of the game.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:

The AFL made it illegal to leave the ground and bump a guy after Byron Pickett did it in 2005 I think.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Johnny Member wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:

The AFL made it illegal to leave the ground and bump a guy after Byron Pickett did it in 2005 I think.
True

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
saintdooley wrote:
Johnny Member wrote: No it wasn't.

Giansuricusa left the ground to bump him. That was illegal from the time Pickett pole-axed that Hawthorn bloke in 2005.

You can't jump to bump someone and get them high.

He clearly left the ground, and got him in the head - which according to the laws of the game should have resulted in a suspension.
that has just come straight out of the hole located located under your sacrum.

It was a fair bump and if it was vice versa nobody on here would of had a problem with it.
Which part?

The part that says it's illegal to bump a guy when you leave the ground, and make contact to their head?

That's fact. It's a law of the game, and has been since 2005.

Or Giansiracusa leaving the ground to bump Kosi? That's also fact.

So it wasn't fair at all. It was illegal as per the rules of the game.
You may or may not be right. I couldn't be bothered looking it up so I'll take your word on it. If it was illegal so be it.

Other posters describing it as a dog act need to grow up I reckon. Up until that point what Gia did had always been happening in our great game. Whether Gia executed the bump illegally or not can be debated. To call it a dog act b/c he left the ground is laughable and shows that those particular posters have never played our great game before. A natural reaction for anyone who runs in to shirtfront/bump someone much taller than them front on is to jump up to their level. Illegal? Maybe at that time I'm not sure. Sure as hell wasn't for the past 100 years prior to that though. The tragedy of what occurred is that Kos was seriously injured.

I reckon it happened literally 20 metres from where I was sitting. I was stunned that Kosi didn't look up and see Gia coming.

Just curious. If it was such a dog act, why didn't any saints official at the time voice any objection to it?

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Geez talk about a thread about nothing.

The guy that wrote the article was clearly a fan and clearly can't tell a story.

As far as Kosi goes who said he has got a brain injury. I have never heard Kosi or one official at the club state he has a brain injury.

And you never will unless it comes out in some legal proceeding after Kosi finishes his career.