Use of the sub....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:I instigated the last 'Clarke shouldn't have been sub' thread. Still agree with those initial thoughts.

Twice now in recent weeks has he subbed off someone who is playing well. Gamble should have been sub before Tom Lynch who'd kicked a couple and looked good - a lot better than the fumbling Gamble. The other week Simpkin played well and was subbed too.

Its as though its just a pre conceived plan to sub a certain player and its not a decision based on the actual game itself.
Lynch had a ripper first half but to be fair he went well out of the game after half time. Same with Gamble but I don't think it made any difference which one was subbed in the end.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Clarke is probably the perfect conservative choice as he can play most positions. Blake is similar but probably less run than Raph. The sub looks great when no injuries occur and a young kid can run like a bee in a bottle and snag some kicks, but a KP or mid go down and you have some trouble.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Old Mate wrote:
St Ick wrote:I instigated the last 'Clarke shouldn't have been sub' thread. Still agree with those initial thoughts.

Twice now in recent weeks has he subbed off someone who is playing well. Gamble should have been sub before Tom Lynch who'd kicked a couple and looked good - a lot better than the fumbling Gamble. The other week Simpkin played well and was subbed too.

Its as though its just a pre conceived plan to sub a certain player and its not a decision based on the actual game itself.
Lynch had a ripper first half but to be fair he went well out of the game after half time. Same with Gamble but I don't think it made any difference which one was subbed in the end.
Not sure I was watching the same match then as I didn't see Gamble have many quality posessions, let alone a ripper half. I want him to do well, I really do, but he just overthinks it too much and should have been subbed off. As you said, game was won in the end and both players offer similar things, but I thought Lynch could have been more damaging considering his form.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!