Gardi gone?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Gardi gone?

Only lasted to half time at Sandy.... soreness was the official reason.

Can't see him getting back now.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Saintersss
Club Player

Re: Gardi gone?

GrumpyOne wrote:Only lasted to half time at Sandy.... soreness was the official reason.

First game back after a long time off. Give him some time.

In saying that, I'd prefer McEvoy to continue as the number 1 ruck for the rest of the season.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Saintersss wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:Only lasted to half time at Sandy.... soreness was the official reason.

In saying that, I'd prefer McEvoy to continue as the number 1 ruck for the rest of the season.
Not even on the bench!!!

At his age, he has not got the time.

Retire him.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Dont see the sense of playing him at all.....

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

He was one of our best in the first half. And he was on and off the bench even then. Doesnt say much for the rest does it?

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Yep, gone.

If only his hammy had held out in GF1, who knows, everything could have worked out well and he would now be enjoying the hard work he put into his rehab. Of course, we would be enjoying it too. But, in an all too familiar Saints story, it was not to be.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I only saw the first quarter on tele, but Gardi seemed to be moving reasonably well when on the ground.

If he came off at half time with "soreness," it's not a good sign. In playing conditions he would have had to put full pressure on the knee and hammy. If the knee has blown up with fluid, or the hammy is tight, his longer term chances don't look good.

Next week will tell. If he can't get up for next week's Sandy match, he is probably gone, which will be very sad to see. :(

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
Saintersss wrote:

Not even on the bench!!!

At his age, he has not got the time.

Retire him.
he's not a horse.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I love what Gards has done for St Kilda, but I think his injury has fast-tracked the development of our number one ruckman for the next 10 years. Ideally we'd have a second ruckman who can be damaging up forward, but Gardiner's lack of agility means that he would be a liability in the forward line and it's not worth playing him for 40 minutes in the ruck. It seems his body will keep breaking down if he keeps going, but I really don't think he's a necessary part of the team anymore.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

He might have only played half a game on purpose?? It happens all the time, plays a half this week, 3 quarters next, full game the week after, then is ready for a recall after that.

He hasnt played a competive match in 9 months, at least give the guy the next 8 weeks before sending him to scrap heap.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Why?

First game back since last year. I would imagine he would never have been slated to have played a full game as they ease him back.

Now he may or may not come back...but I would not make call either way based on purely today.

I would imagine the plan is to have him back at his best for the finals....if we make it.....if for no other reason that you do not want to have to rely solely on Ben as he may get injured, suspended etc....and ni one else is good enough at the saints to play No 1 ruck besides these two.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
maverick
Saintsational Legend

I want him back

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

maverick wrote:I want him back
Me too, because we need to have alternative ruckman to take some of the load off Ben McEvoy.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:If only his hammy had held out in GF1, who knows, everything could have worked out well and he would now be enjoying the hard work he put into his rehab. Of course, we would be enjoying it too. But, in an all too familiar Saints story, it was not to be.
I'm not sure about that hypothetcial. It was almost as though his injury spurred on the second half fight back of GF1.

Of course, that is all history now.

Whether or not he will pull on a St.Kilda guernsey again remains to be seen.

Unfortunately, he is running out of time.

I guess we can only keep our fingers crossed for him.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The club may confirm that was always the plan, you never know.

I wanted him to come back too. :?

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
perfectionist wrote:If only his hammy had held out in GF1, who knows, everything could have worked out well and he would now be enjoying the hard work he put into his rehab. Of course, we would be enjoying it too. But, in an all too familiar Saints story, it was not to be.
I'm not sure about that hypothetcial. It was almost as though his injury spurred on the second half fight back of GF1....
I can't agree that Michael Gardiner getting injured helped us in any way at all. I suggest you look at round 13, 2009 to see the value of such a player in the last minutes of a game that is close.

Behind Play
Club Player

He is finished, wouldn't even worry, no longer an AFL footballer

Behind Play
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
I'm not sure about that hypothetcial. It was almost as though his injury spurred on the second half fight back of GF1....
I can't agree that Michael Gardiner getting injured helped us in any way at all. I suggest you look at round 13, 2009 to see the value of such a player in the last minutes of a game that is close.
It is Fing 2011, move on!!!

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
No, I'm not disputing the value of him as a player. What I'm saying is that, in GF1 after he left, the players almost seemed even more detirmined to fight back. Jason Blake replaced him in the ruck and showed some real mettle.

Gardi was quite possibly our best player in the Preliminary Final the week before. We have missed his stability and experience enormously. Yes, Round 13, 2009 was incredible. I think it was also his birthday. What a way to celebrate it, if it was.
Last edited by Sainternist on Sat 09 Jul 2011 8:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:He might have only played half a game on purpose?? It happens all the time, plays a half this week, 3 quarters next, full game the week after, then is ready for a recall after that.

He hasnt played a competive match in 9 months, at least give the guy the next 8 weeks before sending him to scrap heap.
ahh...finally a comment on gardy that i can relate to.....of course he was only going to play half a game....some on here recognise that...whilst others... :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
St Chris wrote:He might have only played half a game on purpose?? It happens all the time, plays a half this week, 3 quarters next, full game the week after, then is ready for a recall after that.

ahh...finally a comment on gardy that i can realate too.....of course he was only going to play half a game....
I agree. This could be quite possible. No point in risking an important player coming back from injury to only injure themselves again in the VFL.

PJ
SS Life Member

Jeezus guys he's 32 not 82 and he's just playing his first game after a big lay off. Anyone would think he only has a few days to live.

He could provide us with some much needed first use if he can build over the next 4 weeks - we are still a finals chance despite the prophets of doom on here.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

ahh...finally a comment on gardy that i can relate to.....of course he was only going to play half a game....some on here recognise that...whilst others... :roll:
If people bothered to read the SHS this morning. I know I know The Herald Sun is a rag, blah blah blah - BUT Gardi is interviewed about his game yesterday. Reckons he only ever intended to play a half and was rapt with how he got through. Admitted that he is still a few weeks away from playing AFL, but felt NO soreness in his knees or hamstrings and he thought he moved really well.

He got changed at half time as per the plan and watched the 2nd half from the grandstand. Now if he was injured, I would have thought that he would have been receiving treatment for his supposed injuries instead of watching the game from the grandstand.......

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah good to hear
you hear snippets from here and thru the grape vine and lately it seemd he was raring to go and had no soreness in the knee or hammies

then yesterday it sounded like it was all over!!!

i dont think he is dusted yet
he might even continue next year 8-)

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

32 with a history of knee, ankle, hamstring problems......his body is about 50

He runs like a robot.....

If we want a 32 bloke who has played 80 games in the last 9 years to come in and make a positive impact.....

Only stifle mcevoy......

Would we drop mcevoy if he comes in???

What position would he play if we didnt drop ben???
Perhaps limit rotations off the bench, or play him as an ineffective ff

Or hurt ben's development as a ruckmen by playi g him at ff, like other clubs have done with clarke, ryder....etc