I'm starting my own "I love Gamble thread".

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

should play the year out so we can see what he's got

Zac Attack
Club Player

Port are awful. If he has a few good games against even semi-decent opposition he should stay however until he does something positive in a game that we aren't monty's to win the jury should still be out.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

We still need that extra tall/power forward. Gamble's been good in a few games this year, but he is definitely not a key forward. Good skills, knows where the goals are. Opportunist. Now if he could just have the game he had today against a quality opponent..........

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Gamble played well against a bottom team, lets hope he kicks 4 again next week against the weagles

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

Re: I'm starting my own "I love Gamble thread".

saint tash wrote:Why no love????

17 possies and 4 sausage rolls.

Over to the audience.
Gamble responsibly!

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
Richter
SS Life Member

Good game today. And I hope that this means he has turned a corner.

But I doubt it. I don't see him being in our first choice forward line this time next year.

Question for next week is - does Kosi come back in and if so, does he replace Lynch or Gamble?

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Gamble was played today as a third forward, what the club actually got him for, and he looked fine.

I would persist, and hope he continues to improve, because at 23 he can.

He mentioned somewhere in an article recently, that Ross wants him to work on his fitness to go into the midfield.

I'd be surprised on what he has shown, if he was delisted at years end.
Can't believe he's only 23, he looks like a young 30 year old and moves like a crab. Will never be a mid, will be lucky to stay on the list and doesn't look after his bootlaces.
He's an opportunist and took his opportunities today, will be lucky to get a kick against West Coast.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
SainterK wrote:Gamble was played today as a third forward, what the club actually got him for, and he looked fine.

He mentioned somewhere in an article recently, that Ross wants him to work on his fitness to go into the midfield.

Can't believe he's only 23, he looks like a young 30 year old and moves like a crab. Will never be a mid, will be lucky to stay on the list and doesn't look after his bootlaces.
He's an opportunist and took his opportunities today, will be lucky to get a kick against West Coast.
Didn't you notice I'd already mentioned the boots? :lol:

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

Didn't you notice I'd already mentioned the boots? :lol:
Yes!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
JohnE
Club Player

Jeez, tough crowd to please here! I hope you're just as critical when Raph Clarke's performance, or any other fringe player, is discussed! The boy kicked 4 goals ffs...

Kourkoumelis & Beveridge & Traianidis Appreciation Society
StSteven
Club Player

Post-Geelong Gamble has shown tat he is much better suited to not having to be a main target. Third banana is his niche.

Now he just has to do it against a good team. WCE are arguably rolling out the forward press better than anyone this year....so that will be a good test of his new found form playing the third banana role.

He was never a main target with jpod,Johnson,mooney etc. They got rid of him because he could not cut it. Nothing has changed.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Jury is still out on Gamble but he earnt himself another game this week so we'll see... would love to see him do well.

I hope Lynch plays as well this week because I just think the forward line looks a lot better with these two in the team... They add some variety and both seem to play big and small. Lynch is just busting his guts to impress... I love that... plus he grew up supporting the Saints and you can just see the love of the jumper beaming out of him.

And Tommy Walsh is waiting in the wings.... already got a nickname for him.... Lionheart.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think if he had been a Will Johnson, Siposs or Archer and had come out and had those stats we would be hailing the new messiah, but as a recycled player Saints fans want to know the catch, you are looking to see why they dumped him. he has a calm presence and neat hair that even in the adelaide drizzle looked like he had the blow wave treatment they add to the air of a less than urgent appearance. The guy is a bit like Jack Steven who looks like a slow runner but burns off anyone that chases him. He hasn't played many games and is still in the age group that should show improvement.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I think if he had been a Will Johnson, Siposs or Archer and had come out and had those stats we would be hailing the new messiah, but as a recycled player Saints fans want to know the catch, you are looking to see why they dumped him. he has a calm presence and neat hair that even in the adelaide drizzle looked like he had the blow wave treatment they add to the air of a less than urgent appearance. The guy is a bit like Jack Steven who looks like a slow runner but burns off anyone that chases him. He hasn't played many games and is still in the age group that should show improvement.
You're right about the Johnson, Siposs thing, we would be going bananas if they had kicked 4, we are blinded by the youth aspect.
But there is a catch to Gamble, and it happens to be that he hasn't strung 2 good games together yet. He kicked 4 without being outstanding and lets be honest, Port are worse than Brisbane and were beaten by the Gold Coast - at home.
There's no gain kicking 4 when we are flying only to do nothing against the top 5-6 sides.
I'd be pretty reluctant to compare him to Steven in any way, they are just leagues apart.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

At pick 90, he is doing his job!

This week will be a real test for Ryan and a few others that need to lift their game. If they don't, I can see the "or else" coming into play. No names, as you know who they are.

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

BigMart wrote:He is s***......well maybe not s***, but only just a player....will get founder out by bigger defenders

Arryn or johnson would have kicked 4 against that rabble...

Nick running around unfit and at 70% kicked 4....
What... like all those goals Johnson kicked agains Carlton's seconds on Saturday?

I'd say get a grip if you didnt already have your doodle firmly in your grasp!! 8-)

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Gamble played a very important role on Sunday, and he did it well. I'd argue that he may have been the most important player on the ground.

Not the best on the ground, but the most important.

But, although that role is crucial against good teams, Gamble isn't good enough to play it against good opponents.

I think he has the smarts and the skills, but physically he'll get outdone. He'll get outdone in speed and he'll get pushed around.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Walsh > Gamble.

He's bigger, quicker.

He's wasted and wont learn anything from playing for Sandy .. they are pathetic.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Gamble played a very important role on Sunday, and he did it well. I'd argue that he may have been the most important player on the ground.

But, although that role is crucial against good teams, Gamble isn't good enough to play it against good opponents.

I think he has the smarts and the skills, but physically he'll get outdone. He'll get outdone in speed and he'll get pushed around.
You don't think with some hard work, he can improve on some of those things?

He has been languishing in the VFL for a few years, so maybe he isn't conditioned quite like he needs to be? At his age, he could still modify his frame and fitness base?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:Gamble played a very important role on Sunday, and he did it well. I'd argue that he may have been the most important player on the ground.

He has been languishing in the VFL for a few years, so maybe he isn't conditioned quite like he needs to be? At his age, he could still modify his frame and fitness base?
He can improve, but it's not the type of stuff that improves overnight.

For mine, he needs to add about 5 kilos of muscle to his frame, and improve his speed.
That would take him 2 pre-seasons to do.

The question also has to be asked, as to why he hasn't already?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
SainterK wrote:

He can improve, but it's not the type of stuff that improves overnight.

For mine, he needs to add about 5 kilos of muscle to his frame, and improve his speed.

Some guys just don't (matty lappin) and I doubt he will, he's been in the system over 5 years now…
Have a look at the Geelong players, probably the chunkiest list in the comp so they obviously have a pretty serious weights program.
If you're that skinny you have to be super quick or super skilled.
I think he will fill a gap until Siposs, Lynch or Johnson come on enough to replace him… Hope he proves me wrong.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Johnny Member wrote: For mine, he needs to add about 5 kilos of muscle to his frame, and improve his speed.

The answer to your question is Walsh ..
he has the speed and the frame that Gamble lacks - and is totally being wasted (and isn't learning anything good) playing for a poor VFL side in Sandy.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Some guys just don't (matty lappin) and I doubt he will, he's been in the system over 5 years now…
Have a look at the Geelong players, probably the chunkiest list in the comp so they obviously have a pretty serious weights program.
If you're that skinny you have to be super quick or super skilled.
I think he will fill a gap until Siposs, Lynch or Johnson come on enough to replace him… Hope he proves me wrong.
To play the role he's playing (and I'd image he was recruited for) he needs the physical attributes.

If he can't beef up and be very strong through his core, then he's going to need to plenty of speed and endurance.

Middo
Club Player

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:
BigMart wrote:He is s***......well maybe not s***, but only just a player....will get founder out by bigger defenders

Arryn or johnson would have kicked 4 against that rabble...

Nick running around unfit and at 70% kicked 4....
What... like all those goals Johnson kicked agains Carlton's seconds on Saturday?

I'd say get a grip if you didnt already have your doodle firmly in your grasp!! 8-)
Ha Ha so true , don't ya just love the first name basis with Arryn... Go Coach !!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!