Luke Ball

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Ball gave us jack compared to Lockett, Hall etc. We were accommodating to the point of putting him before ourselves. He got paid to play for his school, was injured constantly offering glimpses but never quite looking as good as Judd or Hodge. We paid him as one of our elite stars which was justified as he had leadership qualities. The leadership qualities ended with him walking for more money and draft tampering to walk into a finals team boosting their chances. We hate him because he is a bad example of an honorable person, something we used to excuse his lack of output.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Ball gave us jack compared to Lockett, Hall etc. We were accommodating to the point of putting him before ourselves. He got paid to play for his school, was injured constantly offering glimpses but never quite looking as good as Judd or Hodge. We paid him as one of our elite stars which was justified as he had leadership qualities. The leadership qualities ended with him walking for more money and draft tampering to walk into a finals team boosting their chances. We hate him because he is a bad example of an honorable person, something we used to excuse his lack of output.
He won a B&F for a start. Pretty sure Hall never went close. He had a back ended contract which means he earnt more in his last year to make up for previous years. I dont have a clue what comparing him to Judd and Hodge has to do with anything. He didnt pick us, we picked him. Yes he left for more opportunities after he saw the writing on the wall when he played less than half a game in a GF even though he was one of our better players and also being dropped twice in a year.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

And my reply to that question would be :-
the manner of the 'negotiating' his 'people' undertook - denigrating the Coach/Club.

In my memory I cannot recall any other Saint player following that path - even when they probably had fair reason to do so (Lappin springs to mind as a case in point).

It's what rankles with me about the whole saga.

I was annoyed about Plugger leaving
I was annoyed about Joel Smith leaving
I was annoyed about Ian Stewart being booted out
I was annoyed about Val Perovic leaving.

But none of them caused me to think less of the player concerned.
I recognized that each felt they needed to leave for their own good.
I'm sure Ball probably felt similarly.
Yet the manner of his leaving causes me to think less of him.

There were other players who left us at the same time as Luke Ball.
Mat Maguire, Luke Miles and Xavier Clarke.

I see only 'love' for them on here.
I don't believe it's becaue they chose not to go to Collingwood.
I firmly believe it's because they chose to go in a 'dignified manner' - in X's case he even recorded a farewell message for the Saints fans.
(even if Miles was privately seething, as has been reported on here, he chose to not publicly 'bag' the Club)

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Leo.J wrote:I wonder if he still would have gone to the Filth had the AFL been tougher on 3rd party deals 2 years ago.

And Judd for that matter.

Luke may not be that happy with his pay at the Pies after all.
Havent seen to much evidence of third party deals for Ball.
Agreed.
But who cares anyway? He's a good and loyal Magpie now.
Even playing for minimum base salary next season just to help them out of any salary cap problems.

I'm sure he offered us similar loyalty over the period he was a good and loyal Saint.
I have no idea about his contract at either club apart from what was written but I do know he gave his best at our club when he was there. That is all I expect from any player. If a player wants to leave then they leave just as if a club wants to trade a player or delist them they get rid of them if there are takers in the trade.
And I agree with you on this again.

I've got absolutely no issue with him wanting to leave us.

Over the years there have been plenty of players who have left us to go to other clubs - some far greater players for us than Luke Ball.
Some arguably in our top 5/10 of all time - Lockett, Stewart. Ditterich spring to mind.

What makes the Ball defection cause so much more angst amongst the fans?
Probably because he promised so much and delivered so little (and yes there were excuses for that), got paid well above what his performances warranted (and yes there were excuses for that), decided to leave when the going got tough (and yes there were excuses for that) and chose the most hated club as his new home (no excuse for that).

I’m not buying into the whole "who is right", "who is wrong" argument MM. Just simply responding to your angst query.
I reckon it's simpler than that.

I reckon it's because he may have been the difference between us winning and losing the 2010 flag!

We missed him on-field, and Collingwood clearly needed a guy like him!

That's why everyone is feral about the whole thing! He left us, and then within a heartbeat robbed us of what we are want so dearly!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Not so sure it is that simple, the manner he left in was murky and it rankled me before the season had even started. Turd act from a guy who talked the talk but walked in shadows. Dirty dealings from what was a manufactured move that he followed. It is like a crooked cop or dodgy priest, I had trust in him and he abused that trust in the murky trade.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Rat.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

If he was still at St Kilda would I like him? YES.

Now he’s at Collingwood do I like him? NO.

That’s as deep as I need to get!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Luke Ball is the sole reason we are going to get slugged by a carbon tax.

I also strongly suspect he has something to do with Middle Eastern political unrest.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Luke Ball is the sole reason we are going to get slugged by a carbon tax.
Well he sure as hell's been blowing smoke out of someone's arse :wink:

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

People still talking about Luke Ball?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Not so sure it is that simple, the manner he left in was murky and it rankled me before the season had even started. Turd act from a guy who talked the talk but walked in shadows. Dirty dealings from what was a manufactured move that he followed. It is like a crooked cop or dodgy priest, I had trust in him and he abused that trust in the murky trade.
But no one would care less if we won the flag and he didn't!

Grantaire
Opposition Fan

prwilkinson wrote:People still talking about Luke Ball?
Apparently.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

When has luke ball ever bagged the club???

He has been absolutely praised in the way he handles continued questions about

His post grand final interview was as good as sportsmanship get.....his thoughts went out to his former teamates..... He actually looked as though he was tortured by the situation and celebrating would be disrespectful
A lesser man would have shoved it clean up ross' arse

He has never bagged the club.... He loved stk...no question, but NO man will stay in a workplace and be under utilised and renumerated with better offer on the table......

Give me one reason i should pick you next week....

He is painted out as a villian, to make people feel better about him making a choice to leave the club for more money and opportunity....which has been proven that it was deservedly so.....which really bites some people...
Who were hoping like hell he would fail dismally ..... But he did not .... He made a mockery of us.....thats why there is angst

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Is this still going?

Another opportunity awaits!
DWOODROW
Club Player

Moccha wrote:Is this still going?
Yep

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

And will continue, whilst bafoons refuse to admit it was a trading blunder...

Not to resign him....but not to get compensated....

The coaches use of him in 08/09 is another argument.....mick seems to have figured it out

DWOODROW
Club Player

BigMart wrote:And will continue, whilst bafoons refuse to admit it was a trading blunder...

Not to resign him....but not to get compensated....

The coaches use of him in 08/09 is another argument.....mick seems to have figured it out
Just have to look out who has the medallion round their neck really.

Not trying to be arrogant just stating. Not too many people would have picked it. He left and it payed dividends for him.

DWOODROW
Club Player

And thats not disagreeing with your post BigMart.

I agree.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Do you think he would have left had he not been able to get a 3rd party deal?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Good luck to him i say...... Mick rated him higher than we did.... Simple

He was absolutely fantastic with us...... He pit his head in places which most wont..... Even when his speed was taken from him, he never stopped working hard.....six tacles a game on average...when it was normal for players to average two or three....hayes, kirk, bolton, ball, a.selwood were the best tackler inthe AFL 2006-2009

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:Do you think he would have left had he not been able to get a 3rd party deal?
Where is this famous 3rd party deal you go on about? I think you look over your shoulder far to much.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Leo.J wrote:Do you think he would have left had he not been able to get a 3rd party deal?
Where is this famous 3rd party deal you go on about? I think you look over your shoulder far to much.
So you don't think there's one?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
So you don't think there's one?
I have no idea but you are the one saying there is one. Instead of asking questions how about give us some real facts on the crap you keep saying.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
...I think you look over your shoulder far to much.
Not at all I read between the lines Plugger and I don't take whats written in the HS as gospel.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
...I think you look over your shoulder far to much.
Not at all I read between the lines Plugger and I don't take whats written in the HS as gospel.
Neither do I but I dont make up things just to get people on here agreeing with you when you actually have no idea at all.