All we need now is for Roo to his his straps

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

All we need now is for Roo to his his straps

The pieces to the puzzle are finally coming together. Not saying where any sort of threat for the flag just yet (which doesn't bother me) but I'm just rapt to see BJ finally playing tonight like we know he can. Yes there were some turnovers, but that's fine b/c he was going for the hard kicks and some of them really paid off too, causing some great moves fwd. His marking is returning.

Joey played his best game of the year, and I liked the way he was moving across the ground as much as what he did on the ground.

Dal has been great all year, as has Fisher. These are our best 5 players. When your best players play well it lifts the whole team and brings them into the game. Just need Roo to start playing like we know he can. Gotta say though, despite his lower than usual form, I just love the way he keeps on trying. He missed that mark on the lead but 60 seconds later took a great pack mark - almost willed himself to take it to make up for his error. We start getting 3-4 goals from Roo each week, and a dozen marks, like we've been used to for the past 7 years, then we may trouble some of the top teams consistently I reckon.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He seems to have lost pace...he has the burst running, but not sustained?

I thought he tackled well tonight, even if the other wasn't working for him.

Should they continue to start him deep, get some easy ones and get his confidence up?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Sitting behind the goals you see how much they hang off him, he gets his arms pulled down nine out of ten times, get shoved off the ball stood in front of etc. he got cheap frees against him for doing the same. the umpires must have been told to lay off the whistle with him, or he clapped them.

Saints43
Club Player

And Sam Gilbert played a cracker of a game. He has continued to work hard all year despite form (and other) issues. His decision making and kicking was tonight was first class.

sRaf
Club Player

SainterK wrote:He seems to have lost pace...he has the burst running, but not sustained?

I thought he tackled well tonight, even if the other wasn't working for him.

Should they continue to start him deep, get some easy ones and get his confidence up?
Might be that hamstring injury catching up to him.

But I think he's slowly getting himself back in form. Just needs four quarters of consistency.

Richter
SS Life Member

THough Roo had some characteristic (goal kicking!) and uncharacteristic (dropping a mark on the lead from a pas from Grammy, I was mightily impressed by the effort he out in, particularly in the last Q, to work the ball to his teammates advantage, his tackling and his pressure.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Roo is working hard, make no mistake, he just can't seem to get it all together.

Having a shocker of a year, but there is only one way to go and that is up!!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Certainly shouldnt be captain. Looks worried by it.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Certainly shouldnt be captain. Looks worried by it.
Who do you suggest instead? BJ? Lenny? Or think long
term and give it to big Ben

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Give it to Lenny now.

ando051
Club Player

I have no doubt Rooey is working hard to get a kick. But i was not happy tonight with his body languages and sprays he gave to fellow teammate about the delivery of the ball on a couple of occasions last night. I was sitting on the wing and he was given teammates a good spray. I don't think this should be coming from the Captain. I can understand he would be mega frustrated with his current form, but make sure you are marking easy footballs and kicking easy goals before you start having a go at teammates.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think Plugger is being ironic. He worked hard for little reward last night, the free against him when he pushed out to stand his ground could have been the point he just sulked but he kept working, he had a little run at one point and looked let off the leash further from goal. His confidence is shot with the goal kicking ATM.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If a captain cant spray a team mate.....who can

Can Ross...or is that not good..

Or, should nick just accept mediocre delivery.....

I toght he played pretty well......17, 7 marks, not sure how many tackles, but at least 5
Goal kicking not acceptable...and the person who taught him this new technique ahould be killed...

ando051
Club Player

BigMart wrote:If a captain cant spray a team mate.....who can

I toght he played pretty well......17, 7 marks, not sure how many tackles, but at least 5
Goal kicking not acceptable...and the person who taught him this new technique ahould be killed...
If you read my post fully Bigmart, I don't have a problem with the Captain giving teammates a spray, but make sure you are doing the easy things right yourself. Nick should not accept mediocre delivery, but when he does get good delivery the player should expect him to kick the easy goals. So who gives him a spray, I don't think Ross would do that.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

His team mates should

The captain is not above critisism.....

Maxwell got sprayed the other week.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Give it to Lenny now.
So Lenny in 2012?

PJ
SS Life Member

Roo is doing what good captains do - lead by example, never give up, make a contest everytime.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Saints Angel
Club Player

[quote="BigMart"]If a captain cant spray a team mate.....who can

Goal kicking not acceptable...and the person who taught him this new technique ahould be killed...[/quote]

Could not agree more. Nick is a good captain and will always give 120% for his team. I understand he has some tendinitis and wonder how sever this might be. I would not be surprises if there is some surgery at the end of the season for him, even if it is a clean up. Delivery of the football to Rooey of late has not been the best and he has every right to let his team mates to lift their game and deliver probably.

jays
Club Player

yeh i recon

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I just created a similar topic...Deleted now...Here it is.

one missing ingredient.....Riewoldt

Goddard started the year slowly and has turned it around.

Montagna started the year ok, got injured and played with soreness and is now back to his best.

Gilbert had a horrible start to the year and now has found his confidence back.

Fisher and Dal Santo have been at the top of their game all year and are continuing to play well with the others improving.

Obviously Hayes is a massive blow but we have Steven and McEvoy who have stepped up a couple of notches since last year.

We're a few goals behind the top sides (quite a bit more behind the Filth) with the difference being Riewoldt. If he can find his best form then I believe we are as good, if not better than any team not named the Filth.

We have left our run a bit late but there's no reason why we cannot keep on winning and nab a home final first week of the finals. That would set up a semi with the Cats / Blues / Hawks - all very winnable games if Riewoldt can get back to his best.

Don't underestimate the late start we had to our preseason. A lot of teams are having a lull at the moment and we're starting to hit our straps.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:I just created a similar topic...Deleted now...Here it is.

Montagna started the year ok, got injured and played with soreness and is now back to his best.

Fisher and Dal Santo have been at the top of their game all year and are continuing to play well with the others improving.

Obviously Hayes is a massive blow but we have Steven and McEvoy who have stepped up a couple of notches since last year.

We're a few goals behind the top sides (quite a bit more behind the Filth) with the difference being Riewoldt. If he can find his best form then I believe we are as good, if not better than any team not named the Filth.

We have left our run a bit late but there's no reason why we cannot keep on winning and nab a home final first week of the finals. That would set up a semi with the Cats / Blues / Hawks - all very winnable games if Riewoldt can get back to his best.

Don't underestimate the late start we had to our preseason. A lot of teams are having a lull at the moment and we're starting to hit our straps.
Needs a chop out from another tall forward who allows us to kick long to a contest.

Riewoldt is asked to do too much and takes too much upon his own shoulders.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Old Mate wrote:I just created a similar topic...Deleted now...Here it is.

Needs a chop out from another tall forward who allows us to kick long to a contest.

Riewoldt is asked to do too much and takes too much upon his own shoulders.
Agree but he's still somewhat responsible. His form is significantly down from his best.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Disposal to him is still hap hazard at best but seems to be struggling to do the basics well. Might be trying to hard, but his running and tackling pressure is first class

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:Disposal to him is still hap hazard at best but seems to be struggling to do the basics well. Might be trying to hard, but his running and tackling pressure is first class
He seems to have dropped a yard or two and he's not getting as vertical on the lead. Maybe he's lost some confidence from his hammy injury? Kerr and Gibson seem to be travelling alright with similar injuries.