Enter Tommy Walsh

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:Surely Lynch plays for Jimmy. He was unlucky to be out and can play down back and probably play a similar role to Jimmy. He deserves a game before Walsh I would have thought.
Took the words right out of my mouth mate, would have thought Lynch, Blake and Simpkin were all ahead of Walsh to take over Jimmy's role - probably in that order. Also, as much as I like Jimmy, I disagree with earlier comments about his form, his disposal by foot has let us down over the past month or two (not alone) - while he has been good, he has had better patches over his career.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

I'd only just finished talking about Jimmy Gwilt and his improvement with a mate when he pulled up lame on Saturday night.... sad to see!

If there's a positive to come out of Gwilt's injury lets hope it's the rise of the Irish wonder boy... WALSHY!!

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

On selection form, Lynch would be favoured. He is also a similar size/weight to Jimmy. Simkin is also of similar size. Walsh is quite a bit bigger - similar to Dawson, Gilbert and Fisher.

Lynch should get the spot next week against Adelaide. If that does not work out, we could afford to play either Simkin or Walsh the following week against Gold Coast.

Unfortunately, Blake is a known but aging quantity and with Kosi in, there is no need to play him for the next couple of weeks at least.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

I'll join the Lynch chorus...the most obvious choice, far ahead of Walsh at the moment. I'm looking forward to big Tommy Walsh hitting the ground next year though...lookout!

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

battye wrote:Lyon said on Foxtel after the game that Simpkin, Walsh, Blake and Baker are all in line.
I don't like the lack of Lynch in that comment. Surely he's the best performed down back in the VFL this year?
If they want someone to do Gwilt's rebounding he's the obvious choice, but they may just want someone to play on the "gorillas", as Jimmy so often does, in which case it's most likely to be Blake, or else Tommy.
We know what Blake brings to the table, so I hope they take a bit of a punt and see what Tommy has to offer, especially in the next couple of weeks, in games we're likely to win comfortably. If that doesn't work out we can then hopefully call on Blake.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Is Tommy Walsh contracted for next year?

If not, will he want to hang around for another year to MAYBE get a game only if everyone else falls over?

shmic_s
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
battye wrote:Lyon said on Foxtel after the game that Simpkin, Walsh, Blake and Baker are all in line.
I don't like the lack of Lynch in that comment. Surely he's the best performed down back in the VFL this year?
If they want someone to do Gwilt's rebounding he's the obvious choice, but they may just want someone to play on the "gorillas", as Jimmy so often does, in which case it's most likely to be Blake, or else Tommy.
We know what Blake brings to the table, so I hope they take a bit of a punt and see what Tommy has to offer, especially in the next couple of weeks, in games we're likely to win comfortably. If that doesn't work out we can then hopefully call on Blake.
I see Lynch as more of a half forward in the AFL, maybe thats why he was left out of that list.
Simpkin or Blake would be the most obvious replacements IMO.

Rosco
Club Player

i think the biggest factor will be the forward line we are playing against. i'd liek to see lynch come back in but i'm also keen for walsh. will anyone else miss to allow both in?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:i think the biggest factor will be the forward line we are playing against. i'd liek to see lynch come back in but i'm also keen for walsh. will anyone else miss to allow both in?
Tippett is their main tall target (and he's een pretty average this year), otherwise you've got a lot of mobile mid/small forwards. Another reason I can't see Walsh coming in, but you never know with RL.

GoTheTorp
Club Player

St Ick wrote:I disagree with earlier comments about his form, his disposal by foot has let us down over the past month or two (not alone) - while he has been good, he has had better patches over his career.
I must have been watching a different bloke mate..

Gwilt is leading us in Rebound 50s and Inside 50s
Average i think 19 disposals and a better than 80% effeciency

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

GoTheTorp wrote:
St Ick wrote:I disagree with earlier comments about his form, his disposal by foot has let us down over the past month or two (not alone) - while he has been good, he has had better patches over his career.

As I said, he has been good, but I've seen him better. Must have been the 20% that I've been watching when he's missed the target down back because he has been far from perfect of late. Hasn't been terrible by any means, but its just an observation.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
GoTheTorp wrote:

As I said, he has been good, but I've seen him better. Must have been the 20% that I've been watching when he's missed the target down back because he has been far from perfect of late. Hasn't been terrible by any means, but its just an observation.
I'll agree with that. He's made a few uncharacteristic clangers in recent weeks. But he's been pretty good, and it's a significant loss.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I think it's time to play Walsh regardless of the most suitable matchups. He has been one of the best performed players at Sandy all season and surely needs some incentive to stick around for years to come. He is tall, strong, quick, good in the air and a booming kick. It's gotten to a point that his form clearly warrants selection but his inexperience and lack of an obvious permanent role in the team has kept the coaches from picking him, but surely it's time to find out if he can cut it. It's not fair on Walsh to keep him on the other side of the world playing a reserves competiton when he could be starring in his homeland, and it's not smart on the club's behalf to not find out if this investment will pay off.

Bring him in and let him take a big opposition forward to free up Fisher or sit in the goal square and be a physical presence taking pressure off Roo.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

I would like to see Walsh in the next two weeks with games that we should win. If we can't beat Crows and Gold Coast just because of this switch then we arn't going to go very far at the end of the season.

If he doesn't work out then so be it and bring Blake back for the Freo clash. But Lyon needs to find out what this boys got to offer at AFL level when he can because *touch wood* if another injury comes it will put the pressure on. It is handy to know what you have up your sleeve when it matters.

However I think Ross will go the safest option for a victory which most likely will mean Blake.

DWOODROW
Club Player

Griggsy wrote:I would like to see Walsh in the next two weeks with games that we should win. If we can't beat Crows and Gold Coast just because of this switch then we arn't going to go very far at the end of the season.

If he doesn't work out then so be it and bring Blake back for the Freo clash. But Lyon needs to find out what this boys got to offer at AFL level when he can because *touch wood* if another injury comes it will put the pressure on. It is handy to know what you have up your sleeve when it matters.

However I think Ross will go the safest option for a victory which most likely will mean Blake.
I agree but does anyone think Walsh has the attributes to play St Kilda football?

I was impressed with him in the NAB cup but havn't seen him play apart from this. I know he has size and strength but in peoples honest opinion will he go alright in the team??

Not bagging him just interested in his football skills and if he will be an impovement over Blake

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

We have footballers who have settled in the team as regulars, who are given some slack whenever they get their 8 or so possessions (and some do get low numbers regularly) after playing the maximum game time.

But whenever someone is reluctantly brought in and given a go and they get 8 possessions first up - it's never enough and out they go.

There should be a 10 possession rule - you get 10 possessions or less after being given plenty of game time - no matter who you are - you're out.

That's fair to everyone and allows some more development to take place.

Lynch was being wasted in the VFL and Walsh deserves a go.
Last edited by samoht on Tue 19 Jul 2011 1:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

2010 Sandringham Seniors Best & Fairest Results
Shane Tregear 79
Tom Simpkin 62
James Magner 57
Chris Irving 52
David Gallagher 51
Jack Steven 39
Tommy Walsh 38
Alistair Smith 38
Tom Lynch 37
Nick Sautner 31

That was his first year. Based on seeing a bit, reading a bit and Saintbrat's stuff, I reckon he'd be top 3 at Sandy this year, and St.Kilda's highest ranked player at Sandy.

It's also worth pointing out his physical attributes are not just designed for him to play big, on big buggers. In one the hybrid games in Ireland last year, he was given the job of running all round the ground with Dane Swan after half time (Swan had been having a great time until then). Walsh shaded Swan for that half and wasn't lost in the running role.

I know, it's only a hybrid game at season's end - but it was interesting that Walsh was given the role.

I don't believe Lynch can play Jimmy's role. When he plays back at Sandy he plays purely a sweeper's role, where Jimmy plays as a one on one defender (towelled Dawes in the drawn GF, BOG vs Pods at the G) and sweeps. Plus, Jimmy is a far better kick, particularly over distance. We're going to have to juggle the back half a bit to cover Jimmy's dual roles - there isn't anybody who can step into Jimmy's role as a straight replacement.

Walsh is not afraid to come off his man, even when he plays FB at Sandy. He links up and does carry - Lynch tends to be more receiver when someone needs to go back when he doesn't have an option forward. Lynch's role is more to be the 'buy time and keep possession' option. Jimmy's a lot more than that.

Plus, Walsh is quicker, stronger and more direct than Lynch. And, he's more versatile - he's been all over the joint at Sandy this year, and coped pretty well.

I'd like to see him get his chance. Performance suggests he's earnt it, and his versatile make up and calm demeanour (meaning he's more likely to cope than some of the more excitable Irish types) would be a bonus.

Plus, I really believe the greater predictability at the higher level (e.g. higher skill level, on better surfaces in less windy environments) will benefit him.

Don't forget, he coped OK in the NAB cup and he's played around 80% more games since then.

It's time and opportunity has presented. Nothing wrong with a bit of buzz, either - and he'll create exactly that.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:We have footballers who have settled in the team as regulars, who are given some slack whenever they get their 8 or so possessions (and some do get low numbers regularly) after playing the maximum game time.

But whenever someone is reluctantly brought in and given a go and they get 8 possessions first up - it's never enough and out they go.

There should be a 10 possession rule - you get 10 possessions or less after being given plenty of game time - no matter who you are - you're out.

So Dempster would never get a game under your rule.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
samoht wrote:We have footballers who have settled in the team as regulars, who are given some slack whenever they get their 8 or so possessions (and some do get low numbers regularly) after playing the maximum game time.

So Dempster would never get a game under your rule.
Or Dawson :wink:

Or Siposs - after he comes in and kicks 9.0 from 9 kicks :shock:

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Everyone should get their fair share of possessions whilst restricting their opponent

dragit
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:2010 Sandringham Seniors Best & Fairest Results
Shane Tregear 79
Tom Simpkin 62
James Magner 57
Chris Irving 52
David Gallagher 51
Jack Steven 39
Tommy Walsh 38
Alistair Smith 38
Tom Lynch 37
Nick Sautner 31
If you are going to use this list then it has to be Tom Simpkin, twice as many votes as our new hero Jack Steven.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:2010 Sandringham Seniors Best & Fairest Results
Shane Tregear 79
Tom Simpkin 62
James Magner 57
Chris Irving 52
David Gallagher 51
Jack Steven 39
Tommy Walsh 38
Alistair Smith 38
Tom Lynch 37
Nick Sautner 31
If you are going to use this list then it has to be Tom Simpkin, twice as many votes as our new hero Jack Steven.
I used a little more than just that list! Plus, while I think Simpkin has a future, he needs more work physically. In his starts at senior level he was subbed off in 3rd quarters because he was struggling physically. I believe he was rookied, rather than drafted, because his legs played up when he tried to get his fitness up (shin splints, I think).

As for Jack, he did play a number of games at senior level last season and then missed the latter part of the season with OP.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Yeah - fair points…
It will be interesting to see what happens come Thursday.
Although I'd love to see Walsh get a game, I just can't see Lyon going for anything other than experience at this stage…

samoht
Saintsational Legend

RL should be checked for tunnel vision.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

I hope Walshy becomes an epic cult hero...