Geary

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Geary

Came on as the sub last night and did all that could be expected of him.

Question: Is he a part of our next premiership team?

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I think yes.

I'm a big fan of him.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
ando051
Club Player

Yes i also rate Gears, only 3 weeks back from a broken leg. He gave us a bit more run when he came on last night.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

:?

aren't we playing him to find out?

offer an opinion

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Hard worker, gets plenty of it and then proceeds to butcher the ball. He's not alone there.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Hard worker, gets plenty of it and then proceeds to butcher the ball. He's not alone there.
Chris Judd butchers the ball every week too, Geary had one awful kick from 10 touches last night, don't let the actual stats get in the way of a good myth…

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Still a GOP.......limited future IMHO....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:Still a GOP.......limited future IMHO....
IMHO He'll play the Steven Baker role for us well, only with more pace and confidence to take the game on and break lines.

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Still a GOP

What's a GOP?

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Skeptic wrote:

aren't we playing him to find out?

offer an opinion
I'm not sure about him. That's why I asked. To inform myself of the opinions of others.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:
Still a GOP

What's a GOP?
Good
Ordinary
Player

Helen
Club Player

Re: Geary

hungry for a premiership wrote:Came on as the sub last night and did all that could be expected of him.

Question: Is he a part of our next premiership team?
Hard worker but not good enough. Needs to be exited out asap so as to bring in higher draft choices.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Geary tries hard and runs hard and looked as good as ever last night, which is a credit to him coming back from injury.

He's an absolute ball magnet, but also a technically poor and unreliable kick and hasn't improved significantly over his 4 years of development at the club.

Ross cares less about foot skills than any other coach in the AFL. At probably 12-14 out of the 16 other AFL clubs Geary, like CJ, would have been delisted already.

So, in short, if i was in charge he wouldn't have much of a future relative to Armo, Lynch, Winmar, Cripps, Ledger, etc. But, under Ross, he's got a chance. .

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: He's an absolute ball magnet, but also a technically poor and unreliable kick and hasn't improved significantly over his 4 years of development at the club .
Don't we have a skills coach? Kicking can be improved on and it needs to become a focus for quite a few, including Gilbert, Jones and Riewoldt.

FWIW I like Geary. He's a goer as are Gilbert, Jones and Riewoldt.

You can teach guys to kick, but I'm not sure you can teach them how to get the ball.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

my feeling is Ross has acknowledged the need for good kicks in the backline hence out Baker and Blake (learnt that lesson against the Cats)
Peake and Clarke's kicking has improved this year, keeping the ball down and getting over it - next few weeks will be interesting to watch Gears to see how he's going

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Baker and Blake have been killing us for years with their poor disposal skills and inability to take the game on.

Geary, while also possessing less than elite kicking skills.....runs so goddamn hard at the footy and the opposition players with the footy.

At higher intensity than Blake or Baker.

I'd keep him in the side.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

People reckon we mark the recycled players more harshly, he's played 40 mins in twelve months and did a good job, lets give him a few games before righting him off completely, there are plenty to cut from the list before this guy, he'll show that.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Good on him for persisting.

Perhaps this is the break he needed in making it back into the big leagues.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

i always thought he was decent overhead
like ray

those few games we've seen of him a while ago he seemed to have no worries backing back and grabbing the mark.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
Ross cares less about foot skills than any other coach in the AFL.

At probably 12-14 out of the 16 other AFL clubs Geary, like CJ, would have been delisted already.

So, in short, if i was in charge he wouldn't have much of a future relative to Armo, Lynch, Winmar, Cripps, Ledger, etc. But, under Ross, he's got a chance. .
.........nice of you to completely ignore that in last years draft that kicking skills was clearly valued and chased for above all else.....have a peek at all the players taken and their kicking ability. Perhaps that may suggest something to you in the brief given the recruiters?

......nice of you to also ignore that all the players who have good kicking skills have actually been in the 22. Lets be honest...that is BJ, Dal and Gwilt. Joey's not bad as are Milne and Schneider.. Lyon persevered with Gwilt till he found his niche on the HBF.

Let's also ignore that Lyon clearly rates both Cripps and Ledger...and the only reason that they are not playing is that they are injured.

The lack of kicking skills at the Saints is primarily due to John Beveridge not rating it in whom he selected. Look back at all the players recruited by him and you will see a paucity of players with good kicking skills. One of the few in BJ was an automatic pick. Bevo loved "footballers"....bad kicking, bad attitudes and frail/injured bodies (I have spoken with an ex-Stkilda Dr on this) were not that high on his rating system. Gut-feel on "football" ability was the be all to end all.

With the way that the Pie's evolved the game in 2010, kicking skills became more critical than ever. No doubt that was part of the brief given to recruiters...that plus Bevo not being the one to do the primary player pick assessments any longer.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:The lack of kicking skills at the Saints is primarily due to John Beveridge not rating it in whom he selected. Look back at all the players recruited by him and you will see a paucity of players with good kicking skills. One of the few in BJ was an automatic pick. Bevo loved "footballers"....bad kicking, bad attitudes and frail/injured bodies (I have spoken with an ex-Stkilda Dr on this) were not that high on his rating system. Gut-feel on "football" ability was the be all to end all.
Exactly the antithesis of the Billy Beane recruiting philosophy - one would assume this has changed in Ross Lyon's time there given he is still at the club...

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
meher baba wrote:
Ross cares less about foot skills than any other coach in the AFL.

At probably 12-14 out of the 16 other AFL clubs Geary, like CJ, would have been delisted already.

.........nice of you to completely ignore that in last years draft that kicking skills was clearly valued and chased for above all else.....have a peek at all the players taken and their kicking ability. Perhaps that may suggest something to you in the brief given the recruiters?

......nice of you to also ignore that all the players who have good kicking skills have actually been in the 22. Lets be honest...that is BJ, Dal and Gwilt. Joey's not bad as are Milne and Schneider.. Lyon persevered with Gwilt till he found his niche on the HBF.

Let's also ignore that Lyon clearly rates both Cripps and Ledger...and the only reason that they are not playing is that they are injured.

The lack of kicking skills at the Saints is primarily due to John Beveridge not rating it in whom he selected. Look back at all the players recruited by him and you will see a paucity of players with good kicking skills. One of the few in BJ was an automatic pick. Bevo loved "footballers"....bad kicking, bad attitudes and frail/injured bodies (I have spoken with an ex-Stkilda Dr on this) were not that high on his rating system. Gut-feel on "football" ability was the be all to end all.

With the way that the Pie's evolved the game in 2010, kicking skills became more critical than ever. No doubt that was part of the brief given to recruiters...that plus Bevo not being the one to do the primary player pick assessments any longer.
beveridge didn't seem to rate pace either

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Gears will get another opportunity to show his wares against GC next week.

Let's judge him on his performance over more games.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I thought he got quite a lot of it considering he hadn't played at senior level for so long.

He is always hard at the ball, I still think he can make it.

Like to see him sub again this week.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

His first kick was a shocker but he has a future when he gets 10 possessions in limited game time coming back from injury. he is still under 50 games and could be a handy player still.

On Lyon not rating kicking skills II'm not so sure. he is good at making the most of the tools at hand. He rates a guy who runs and spreads more than a guy with elite skills that dishes off cleanly but doesn't try hard enough maybe? We have played a game style that relies on holding possession for a s long as possible, good ball use can be undone by team mates unwilling to run to space. I don't have a problem with that, when we went bad early this year we were flat footed and didn't spread. the new game plan is showing up ball skills more as there is less space to work in and quick decisions are needed.