N Riewoldt can accept 1 game rough conduct

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergsone
SS Life Member

Glad no one got rubbed out for similar when I played

Would have had noone to play with or against

DISGUSTING :evil: :evil: :evil:

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

I am so angry and appalled by this decision. It is another nail in the coffin for my love of this game.

I have watched and rewatched this footage and I am not sure what Riewoldt did wrong (read negligent)

He was running towards the ball, crow receives a handball and turns into space that Riewoldt was also running into.

Riewoldt slows and stops, Riewoldt is standing still on contact , with arms held in.

Yes it is bad that the guy is injured, just as it was when Gwilt was bumped and did his knee, stuff happens, it is a contact sport.

To say that he is negligent implies that Riewoldt made a decision that was not bad or irresponsible. From the vision he did not have time to set himself up for a legal tackle. He made a split second decision to take the contact in a way that would have been drilled into him since he started playing.

The MRP is now like most of the umpires out of touch with how the games ebbs and flows and is played out.

I am sad for a game that can be the best in the world but is turning into something that is confusing and disappointing. And by that I don't miss thuggery but I want a contest! There thats a pretty good way to finish

I want a contest where a combination of skill, courage, strength and ability come together.

Give me my game back!!!

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Just another example on why the game is almost becoming impossible to follow if your teams not in premiership contention,or for fantasy football.

One day they will wake up and see what they are doing

Bring back the Lockett era
degruch
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:Riewoldt slows and stops, Riewoldt is standing still on contact , with arms held in.

Yes it is bad that the guy is injured, just as it was when Gwilt was bumped and did his knee, stuff happens, it is a contact sport.
Speaking of Gwilt...2 weeks in 2009 for an opposition player sliding into his legs, whilst he stood still. :roll:

Good thing the MRP don't accept precedence...Roo would get 5 weeks!

Middo
Club Player

For an ex umpire to be agreeing with the match review panel and not even mentioning a free not being paid is disgraceful.. !!! The Crows were surely robbed as no free was paid , how lucky are our beloved Saints!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

The thing is, Roo isn't a dirty player. He's hard at the ball and more often than not puts himself in harms way. The decision to report him for negligent play is atrocious! It's just not Reiwoldts style. I hope they do contest it, but as we all know it never works in our favor. Never has before, won't now. Smartest thing is to take the week for the sake of the team and have him back fresh for Freo.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Look at the bright side. Gives Rooey a chance to freshen up in a game we should be able to win without him (let's face it, if we can't we aren't going deep into September).

That said, it's a harsh decision on a very fair ball player and really, the AFL has made a mighty stiff rod for its own back.

On the one hand, the head is sacrosanct; the AFL has deemed it so.

On the other hand, sometimes collisions to the head are unavoidable ... even to the fairest of ball players.

You can see the conflict here.

Helmets might be the way of the future, given the league's zeal in trying to prevent mums sending their boys to soccer instead of football.

He he not braced himself for impact in the split second that he had, he might be the one with a fractured cheekbone.

Cop it and move on.
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 26 Jul 2011 12:28am, edited 3 times in total.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Havn't seen the incident since the night, so i have a question.

High impact, Is this the total force applied by both players or just by the player who made the high contact. From what i remember most of the force came from Crows player.

Id understand if roo targeted the head while he stood his ground, but it looked like good body on body contact with no intent. One of those 'well shi* happens' moments that are unavoidable. 3 weeks seems too much, would happily of accepted a couple reduced to 0 (obviously)

On the bright side I wonder if that knob Brownless will have a cry on the footy show like the Selwood suspension, at least one was on the ball.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

what a joke...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Missing a perfect chance to continue to run into peak form and confidence
He would have kicked 6 against GC

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Missing a perfect chance to continue to run into peak form and confidence
He would have kicked 6 against GC
That's one way of looking at it. Maybe a week off will do him good.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Having just seen the incident on the tele , 3 weeks is laughable .

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Only according to most....

bergsone
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Only according to most....
Normal thinking people

Munga
Saintsational Legend

these muppets should be named!
who gave Roo three weeks?

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

There is something seriously wrong with our game now! Never suspended before and cops a weeks rest because a player ran into him??? Yet Buddy, who has a poor record for reckless head high contact, only gets a week for deliberately elbowing a player in the face instead of tackling!

Hope no player runs into Bakes, Bakes will get the needle!!!

The AFL are losing me fast!

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Yeah saw it again, what a joke. He didn't even go the bump it was a collision that was unavoidable.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The issue is could Roo have grabbed the player rather than bumped him?

Clearly the muppets think he had a reasonable chance of doing it.

Yes it was negligent clearly high contact because his face/head hit the ground.

Had the player just got a sore jaw not a broken one it would've been low impact and prob just a reprimand with good behavior discount.

Roo is plain unlucky.

Pointless trying to argue with the muppets if the bump was avoidable. They can't be bothered looking at a different POV.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Did symes have the ball??

I watched it again on FC, not even sure there was a free kick in it.

If he was caught high, it was almost certainly accidental/incidental contact in a contest....anyone who argues against that is surely an idiot/stupid or has never played a competitive game....the panel just scoffed at the decision.

I understand the tribunial stuffing it up...they are as confused as the umpires when policing the game....because the afl is trying to sanitise a brutal sport so mums will allow there kiddies to play..

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

If the extent of injury is taken into account, wouldn't it have to be taken to the logical (if ridiculous) conclusion that the WCE player who bumped James Gwilt should have had at least a case to answer?

Now dont think he in any way did, but this is the idiocy of this position from the AFL.

Totally and incredibly unworkable and erodes the confidence in the game even more so than the AFL have already managed.

Roo should accept the week and have a spell. Possibly the best time to do it.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I think he need continuity....rather than a rest..

Like a batsman running into form, the last thi g you want to do is miss a game....especially if hilfy and mitch johnson have the new ball

dragit
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:If the extent of injury is taken into account, wouldn't it have to be taken to the logical (if ridiculous) conclusion that the WCE player who bumped James Gwilt should have had at least a case to answer?

Now dont think he in any way did, but this is the idiocy of this position from the AFL.

Totally and incredibly unworkable and erodes the confidence in the game even more so than the AFL have already managed.

Roo should accept the week and have a spell. Possibly the best time to do it.
Only the head in these cases so far…
Still surely 'intention' is more important than 'outcome'. Otherwise Mitch Clark should get 6 weeks for recklessness, it was far uglier from a PR POV.
The intentional behind play snipes should be dealt with more harshly than any 'ball playing' incidents that result in accidental injuries > Scarlett, Ottens - one week???

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

I haven't read any other posts just throwing out my own opinion but what if he had a previous record?? Were they going to give him 7 weeks or something? hahahahahah Quite laughable really... Campbell Brown can snipe a bloke in the dirtiest of fashion and get roughly the same penalty.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I think he need continuity....rather than a rest..

Like a batsman running into form, the last thi g you want to do is miss a game....especially if hilfy and mitch johnson have the new ball
I agree.

He seemed to be starting to work himself into it.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
BigMart wrote:I think he need continuity....rather than a rest..

I agree.

He seemed to be starting to work himself into it.
Well maybe. Regardless, he misses either one, or none if contests and wins.

Bad result is contest and loses. Out against Suns is bad enough, but against Freo as well could be a big problem.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)