Team of the century slur

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

On Twitter:

Saint Pav
SaintPav Saint Pav
@
@thomo_ninemsn as per your comments on Milney last night, I thought he went ok in GF One last year.
9 hours ago Favorite Reply Delete
in reply to ↑

Grant Thomas
@thomo_ninemsn Grant Thomas
@SaintPav Agree he was pretty good in most parts. Should prove to him that his EFFORT should not change irrespective of circumstances.

Milne is not the same player GT coached. While he's not perfect, he has improved many aspects of his game including team work, tackling etc...

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

GT loves GT and probably his family. He's still a surly angry man.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Baldock, Stewart, Lockett, Harvey & Ditterich just a pulse???

Well there's a comment that slipped out without a lot of intelligent contemplation.

PJ
SS Life Member

GT is and will always be a used car salesman. Sad but true.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:GT is and will always be a used car salesman. Sad but true.
Thats about it.

He was trying to be "witty" but again his mouth got in front of the brain - Brereton does it too, happens a lot when ego and belief in ones own intelligence overtakes reality.

I shudder thinking of the talent we left at the disposal of this Warnambool amatuer.....and then we wonder why we didnt even get to a GF. Sure after Blight for a short period of time Thomas was the right guy to steer our club - we lacked certainty (he has no shortness in this area) and a public mouth. BUT after that, we simply fed the corporate monsters ego...."I'll step down for a better credentialled candidate..."...**** me.....he fooled the lot of us.

“Yeah….nah””
Shaggy
Club Player

Badlands wrote:Thanks for the clarification everyone. Don't get footy classified north of the border, so I had no idea who had made the comment and in what context. The input on this thread has cleared it up - cheers.
Actually reading this thread you would not know what context the comment was made because others have used it as an opportunity to vent their GT hate. It was an obvious sarcastic retort to the suggestion Milney should be in our team of the century.

It was the other FC members not GT suggesting Milne should replace one of our members of our team of the century i.e. one of Baldock, Stewart, Lockett, Harvey, Ditterich etc.

GT 's flippant response was aimed at Caro and Hutch as was his look of distain as it is most weeks. Whilst appearing to hold a strong respect for Gary Lyon GT also appears to have no time for Caro and Hutch or their opinions and he doesn't take them seriously.

If people dont get it they are missing out on the most entertaining part of the show.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:
Badlands wrote:Thanks for the clarification everyone. Don't get footy classified north of the border, so I had no idea who had made the comment and in what context. The input on this thread has cleared it up - cheers.
Actually reading this thread you would not know what context the comment was made because others have used it as an opportunity to vent their GT hate. It was an obvious sarcastic retort to the suggestion Milney should be in our team of the century.

It was the other FC members not GT suggesting Milne should replace one of our members of our team of the century i.e. one of Baldock, Stewart, Lockett, Harvey, Ditterich etc.

GT 's flippant response was aimed at Caro and Hutch as was his look of distain as it is most weeks. Whilst appearing to hold a strong respect for Gary Lyon GT also appears to have no time for Caro and Hutch or their opinions and he doesn't take them seriously.

If people dont get it they are missing out on the most entertaining part of the show.
By gee...that evens it up for GT...now he was just being "mischevious" to get at Caro/Hutchy,,,,,

You should be in politics with stuff like that...Rudd would love you.

The guy was being a sm@rt @ss at the clubs expense - when it went down like a lead balloon he backtracked with "oh but weve won 1 flag...."

Complete disdain for anyone in the St Kilda Team of the Century from a guy who couldnt as a player tie Stephen Milnes bootlaces.

“Yeah….nah””
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Sarcasm? In the words of Pauline Hanson, please explain?

Once again, Thomas' pretzel logic doesn't stack up. His comment about the Team of the Century might have been sarcasm, but then why the comment about one flag?

If it was any other voice in the media, the knives would be out.

It's so easy to frame the inevitable uproar as "GT haters" - because of course, when does he ever give the apologists reason to celebrate?

And the saddest thing is, it's what we all want to see. No-one enjoys seeing an ex-club man with a chip on his shoulder.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Brownlows on every line... GT is a joke.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Shaggy wrote:

By gee...that evens it up for GT...now he was just being "mischevious" to get at Caro/Hutchy,,,,,

You should be in politics with stuff like that...Rudd would love you.

The guy was being a sm@rt @ss at the clubs expense - when it went down like a lead balloon he backtracked with "oh but weve won 1 flag...."

Complete disdain for anyone in the St Kilda Team of the Century from a guy who couldnt as a player tie Stephen Milnes bootlaces.
And would he have said the same things if he had appeared on the show as St Kilda's coach?

Surely his disdain of Caro and Hutch would have been the same.

Badlands
Club Player

Shaggy wrote:

Thanks Shaggy - I've actually streamed some footage online to have a look at what the fuss was about. I know GT has little time for Caro (and vice versa) but I don't think there's really any context where those comments could be considered anything other than regrettable - and disrepectful. And I actually align myself with those who feel GT was harshly done by when he was 'exited out' of St Kilda. Where I differ from some of the GT sympathisers is that I've moved on hehe. Now an unabashed Rossy fan - and stoked that we're moving to lock him in for the long haul.

"I'm in the middle of a long conversation with my audience. It'll be a lifelong journey for both of us by the time we're done." - Bruce Springsteen.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

God it was a throw away line - I dont think it was a reflection on the true greats of the game in the St.Kilda TOTC.

It his job to get a headline for the show. Its his job to be a bit provocative.

Really, just an excuse to have another go at Thomas.

Anyone ever consider that GT didn't get into the TOTC because he is a vampire?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Anyone ever consider that GT didn't get into the TOTC because he is a vampire?
And Caro's a bat.

Spooky :shock:

Cro
Club Player

I was more outraged at Hutchy stating Milne avgs 1.3 goals a game.
1.3 a game would not get him on our TOTC.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Thats about it.

He was trying to be "witty" but again his mouth got in front of the brain - Brereton does it too, happens a lot when ego and belief in ones own intelligence overtakes reality.

I shudder thinking of the talent we left at the disposal of this Warnambool amatuer.....and then we wonder why we didnt even get to a GF. Sure after Blight for a short period of time Thomas was the right guy to steer our club - we lacked certainty (he has no shortness in this area) and a public mouth. BUT after that, we simply fed the corporate monsters ego...."I'll step down for a better credentialled candidate..."...**** me.....he fooled the lot of us.
A true machiavellian maestro if ever there was one!

Managed to appoint himself in a farcical sham and pay himself $500,000 a year when the two previous coaches prior to Blight were on $240,000 ( Alves ) & ( 320,000 ) Watson.

What was the thinking " Hey I'll do it for half what we are paying Malcolm"

FAIR DINKUM

$500,000 for an ex Warrnambool coach with no previous AFL experience, you've got to be kidding, but when you're appointing yourself, you might as well pay yourself way above the odds on the premise that the last guy was on a million, right?

Not forgetting insisting on a $250,000 two week holiday disguised as a training camp to help make them better citizens of the world when our recruiting budget was in need of a top up.

No rookies, not one in five years when West Coasts 2006 premiership team had about six!

When you've just inherited the biggest draft bonanza in AFL history guaranteeing the club will rise up to the top four regardless of who was in charge, due diligence was obviously not a high priority!

Even Peckett who was close to Thomas said in an interview after his retirement, referring to the 2004 season when we lost the preliminary final, you wonder if having had a coach with tactics would have made a difference or words to that effect.

No relationship or communication with the VFL team, seriously what was the go there?

Milne would have played his last game for St kilda in 2006 if Thomas had of stayed!

What kind of buffoon would have exited out one of the best small forwards in the history of the game?

Probably the same type of cretin who gave up TWO picks for Barry Brooks including a second round pick because obviously pick 6 was not enough!

The type of imbecile who wanted to exit out Harvey!

Butterss urged Thomas to draft Judd as our first selection after having coached him in the under 14's and knew first hand what a gun he would become, but Thomas insisted on taking Ball with the first selection.

"Only one premiership" says Thomas, well if he'd listened to Butterss and taken Judd instead we'd probably have another three right now.

Thomas also insisted on doing all the contracts and signed up Penny on a five year deal, after one year he was cactus = huge payout

Signed up Hamill on a five year deal, after a year or two he was cactus = huge payout

Paid Ball, ( his love child )a whopping $600,000 a year, more money than Lenny and ultimately this decision came back to bite when the adjustment needed to be made.

When Misson arrived he was amazed at how unconditioned and amateurishly run the whole department was in relation to "training services"!
Immediately identified certain practices that were contributing to soft tissue injuries and addressed them.
When asked for time trials on specific players going back a couple of years, was told that these records were not kept which apparently he found baffling.

When Ross Lyon arrived he also read out the riot act and wanted to know who was responsible for drafting so many sloooooooow players and how the list was so unconditioned and unfit for the rigours of AFL football.

All in all, the snake oil conman was nothing more than an oversized inflated ego, full of corporate mumbo jumbo and belief clouds who managed to cost the club a premiership or three with an inherited dream list from heaven that he managed to send half way to hell within five years.

We will probably never have a better playing list in our history than the one we had in 2004 and 2005 but unfortunately amateur hour lasted for six years and cost us big time.

Trying to get Thomas to admit that he would have made a mistake in getting rid of Milne is like trying to convince Paris Hilton to join the nunnery.

And believe it or not, as crazy as it sounds and defying all rational logic and intelligence, some dumb ***** still pine for the gospels of Thomas!

oh dear

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

On the subject of context - one TOTC inductee happens to be a former assistant coach and current board member. A true example of a bloke who bleeds for the club.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Saints Angel
Club Player

Very disappointed in Grant Thomas but we all do have to realise that he has a very alternative view on football to most people.

He will never admit anything about Stephen Milne. Just a personality clash on Thomas's part I think. :(

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Thats about it.

Managed to appoint himself in a farcical sham and pay himself $500,000 a year when the two previous coaches prior to Blight were on $240,000 ( Alves ) & ( 320,000 ) Watson.

FAIR DINKUM

$500,000 for an ex Warrnambool coach with no previous AFL experience, you've got to be kidding, but when you're appointing yourself, you might as well pay yourself way above the odds on the premise that the last guy was on a million, right?

Not forgetting insisting on a $250,000 two week holiday disguised as a training camp to help make them better citizens of the world when our recruiting budget was in need of a top up.

No rookies, not one in five years when West Coasts 2006 premiership team had about six!

When you've just inherited the biggest draft bonanza in AFL history guaranteeing the club will rise up to the top four regardless of who was in charge, due diligence was obviously not a high priority!

Even Peckett who was close to Thomas said in an interview after his retirement, referring to the 2004 season when we lost the preliminary final, you wonder if having had a coach with tactics would have made a difference or words to that effect.

No relationship or communication with the VFL team, seriously what was the go there?

Milne would have played his last game for St kilda in 2006 if Thomas had of stayed!

What kind of buffoon would have exited out one of the best small forwards in the history of the game?

Probably the same type of cretin who gave up TWO picks for Barry Brooks including a second round pick because obviously pick 6 was not enough!

Butterss urged Thomas to draft Judd as our first selection after having coached him in the under 14's and knew first hand what a gun he would become, but Thomas insisted on taking Ball with the first selection.

"Only one premiership" says Thomas, well if he'd listened to Butterss and taken Judd instead we'd probably have another three right now.

Thomas also insisted on doing all the contracts and signed up Penny on a five year deal, after one year he was cactus = huge payout

Signed up Hamill on a five year deal, after a year or two he was cactus = huge payout

Paid Ball, ( his love child )a whopping $600,000 a year, more money than Lenny and ultimately this decision came back to bite when the adjustment needed to be made.

When Misson arrived he was amazed at how unconditioned and amateurishly run the whole department was in relation to "training services"!
Immediately identified certain practices that were contributing to soft tissue injuries and addressed them.
When asked for time trials on specific players going back a couple of years, was told that these records were not kept which apparently he found baffling.

When Ross Lyon arrived he also read out the riot act and wanted to know who was responsible for drafting so many sloooooooow players and how the list was so unconditioned and unfit for the rigours of AFL football.

All in all, the snake oil conman was nothing more than an oversized inflated ego, full of corporate mumbo jumbo and belief clouds who managed to cost the club a premiership or three with an inherited dream list from heaven that he managed to send half way to hell within five years.

We will probably never have a better playing list in our history than the one we had in 2004 and 2005 but unfortunately amateur hour lasted for six years and cost us big time.

Trying to get Thomas to admit that he would have made a mistake in getting rid of Milne is like trying to convince Paris Hilton to join the nunnery.

And believe it or not, as crazy as it sounds and defying all rational logic and intelligence, some dumb ***** still pine for the gospels of Thomas!

oh dear
\May be more untruths in that one post than on the rest of the forum.

bozza1980
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:God it was a throw away line - I dont think it was a reflection on the true greats of the game in the St.Kilda TOTC.

It his job to get a headline for the show. Its his job to be a bit provocative.

Really, just an excuse to have another go at Thomas.

Anyone ever consider that GT didn't get into the TOTC because he is a vampire?
I agree.

It was flippant, I could understand how some members of the TOFTC could be offended by it but the for the rest of us, really you have to take it with a grain of salt.

As for his comments about Milney, does anyone really expect him to admit he was wrong. Surely it's about time people stop asking him about Milney, but then what would we all get offended by??

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Don't take it seriously, the guy is desperate to justify the delisting of a guy who has continued on to be a champion. Heaps of coaches have called it wrong and still justify their position as right. I can't imagine Blight or Matthews ever saying that they were wrong and Malthouse would still be pleading his correct decision making years later too. The megalomania is what made him confident enough to take the reins without experience, it is also the thing that makes him a little painful. He got us on the right path and was a good servant but I think we made the right decision on a coaching replacement in Ross.

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

barks4eva wrote:
Teflon wrote:
Thats about it.

Well said Barks 4 Eva, although I respect what I believe to be GTs passion for the club, he stuffed it completely. He had an incredible list in the years 2003-2006 and nothing to show for it, we didn't even get to the dance and for the reasons you articulate. Imagine if Ross Lyon had that list. We would have won a few premierships and probably hardly lost a game for the better part of 3 years.

FAIR DINKUM

oh dear

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

no doubt he was desperately trying to vindicate himself over the Milne decision, it was knee jerk and just an example of a bloke who can't admit being wro...wro...wro..I can't say it myself.

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

FAIR DINKUM

oh dear

I have always been a GT sympathist, empathist, even, but I think you just changed my mind.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:

FAIR DINKUM

oh dear

I have always been a GT sympathist, empathist, even, but I think you just changed my mind.
95% of that is lies. You are obviously easily swayed.

Austinnn
Club Player

I don't understand why Barks4Eva only ever posts about GR, not anything else. I picture a man rocking back and forth on his bed holding his head in his hands.

Own up Barks, is your real name Rod Butterss? :wink:

Seriously, please change the record. You might convince Hungry, but most of us don't see in black or white.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone