Mini gone for the season

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Any trades this year I would be looking to GWS. We missed out badly not trading with GCS in my opinion. Maybe for mini we could swap our round 2 pick for theirs, or something like that.
That would be the G.O.

Players will have more value with GWS circling. Agree that we missed a good opportunity last year. A bit gun shy from the previous few years. Lovett and Ball etc. Can't blame them...

We should seriously consider putting our hat in the ring for the mini draft. We'd need to put something serious on the table though...

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Hurricane wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
bobmurray wrote:Pelchen might put Mini up for a trade during trade week....

Hopefully for a first round draft pick......
LOL.

Seriously though, I reckon he could be used as a sweetener in a trade deal.

If he does go hopefully he's given a second chance at another club. GWS maybe. I wonder what compo the AFL would give us? They'd probably just laugh and give us nothing.
I can see that happening. Mabey a club with a few too many rucks or quick mids that is hurting for an in and under player might be pursuaded to part with one for a Mini plus draft pick or Mini plus player deal

BANG BANG
He is not worth any picks but that doesnt mean he goes from our club.
True. BANG BANG...

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Yep go away Mini. Once you are no good to us we are happy to see you go. Luckily for Gamble, Polo and Peake they didnt get season ending injuries when they were struggling in the seconds.
Its a tough game Plug. The three you mention all have advantages over mini.
Only now that they are playing well. That is my point. You could hundreds of posts saying get rid of those 3 over this current year. Luckily for them they are going better now so we see upsides that didnt exist in peoples minds earlier in the year. Mini may and probably will go but it is possible to improve. Just ask Mini. 2009.
timing can be everything in life. thats why said the way the cards fell mini may be in trouble. its cruel and unfair. but life aint fair. if he stays someone else goes instead . i just think it will be between him and polo to go. polo is in the right place at the right time. thats all. its hard.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Mcqualter is a VFL player.

Him, Blake, Baker etc are reasons we don't win grand finals. They are the C factor (c is for crap). Can't kick , can't run , can't take the game on, no creative flair or instinct for the kicking/handballing/marking of the footy.

They turn the football over, they have poor peripheral vision and feel for where to be on the ground.

Totally unacceptable for supposed AFL players. Totally and utterly unacceptable.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I disagree regarding his footskills, I thought they were OK, and I never saw him as a guy who turned it over alot.

For what it's worth, I think he had creative flair, just any hint of instinctive play would be surely be slowly worn down if you had to play the forward role with the defensive word in front of it.

I wouldn't keep any guy in that position for too long.

http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/117543

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

ralphsmith wrote:Mcqualter is a VFL player.

Him, Blake, Baker etc are reasons we don't win grand finals. They are the C factor (c is for crap). Can't kick , can't run , can't take the game on, no creative flair or instinct for the kicking/handballing/marking of the footy.

They turn the football over, they have poor peripheral vision and feel for where to be on the ground.

Totally unacceptable for supposed AFL players. Totally and utterly unacceptable.
This sort of post makes me seriously ill. If I could, I'd set up a meeting so you could say this to the three guys in person. I assume you have health insurance.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:

This sort of post makes me seriously ill. If I could, I'd set up a meeting so you could say this to the three guys in person. I assume you have health insurance.
They may well have the been one of the reasons we didn't win grand finals.

However they were also one of the reasons we made those grand finals in the first place.

And let's face it, with an ounce of luck they may well have been Premiership players, and in some cases, dual Premiership players.

They may not be part of the team going forward but let's not denigrate their magnificent efforts (particularly Baker & Blake) of the past.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:

Agree. Never ceases to amaze me how some yellow-backed jelly-arsed keyboard heroes are content to sit back and hurl abuse from the comfort of their office chairs. Weak and dubious. Opinions are one thing. Cowardly slander is another. Do well in the Essendon cheer squad with that kind of thing.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Zac Attack
Club Player

Thinline wrote:
meher baba wrote:

Agree. Never ceases to amaze me how some yellow-backed jelly-arsed keyboard heroes are content to sit back and hurl abuse from the comfort of their office chairs. Weak and dubious. Opinions are one thing. Cowardly slander is another. Do well in the Essendon cheer squad with that kind of thing.
Let's not go crazy here. Ralph Smith has some good points.

Football is a job and like any job persons are criticised (at times intensely) but all.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Zac Attack wrote:
Thinline wrote:
meher baba wrote:

Let's not go crazy here. Ralph Smith has some good points.

Football is a job and like any job persons are criticised (at times intensely) but all.
No he doesnt. Anyone who calls players who are life members of the club and a joint B&F winner "crap" clearly have no idea about football

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Disgraceful post obviously made by a person who has little knowledge of footy. No mention of which year you are talking about so obviously talking about their whole career which makes the post one of if not the most stupid ever written here and that is saying something.

JohnE
Club Player

Where does this leave Raph Clarke? Or is he still untouchable and living off half a dozen decent games prior to his current stint in the seniors...?

Kourkoumelis & Beveridge & Traianidis Appreciation Society
Shaggy
Club Player

Mini has shown in the past 8 weeks why he should be retained.

When he is let loose rather than programmed into set defensive plays the guy can seriously play footy.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

meher baba wrote: This sort of post makes me seriously ill. If I could, I'd set up a meeting so you could say this to the three guys in person. I assume you have health insurance.
What's the point of your post? Are you saying Blake and Mcqualter would assault me because i said they're crap? Sound like good guys...

I used to criticsize Luke Ball like this. I said he couldn't run couldnt kick was doing nothing for us.

Of course people like you would abuse me until your throat was sore saying what a great character he had, what a great person he was, stkilda through and through was Luke Ball how dare i say those things.

I'm sure Mcqualter and Blake are great blokes, but they can't play AFL footy at the level required to help teams win premierships. Which is why they don't get senior games anymore.
Where does this leave Raph Clarke? Or is he still untouchable and living off half a dozen decent games prior to his current stint in the seniors...?
Other players on our senior list also have match losing qualities like Raph Clarkes inability to not know when to kick the ball, resulting in a tackle holding the ball turnover, goal to opposition. You can't get rid of them all unforuntately, salaray cap etc.
Disgraceful post obviously made by a person who has little knowledge of footy. No mention of which year you are talking about so obviously talking about their whole career which makes the post one of if not the most stupid ever written here and that is saying something.
Pretty much Jason Blakes entire career has been poor. A battler, he works hard but can't kick and has really bad awareness.

In 2009 Mcqualter suddenly became useful. Seemed to fit into the forward press well that year. One serviceable year and that was it for his career, it always comes back the fundamentals of AFL fooy.

You can blend into tactics with athletic ability (like Mcqualter/Blake) but to win premierships you need the Geelong/Collingwood level of AFL brained footballers.

Which is why these teams put us to shame and we insist on clinging to the battlers.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think your post is a bit off in that you've clumped the three together under the same brush.

As much as I don't rate Mini and criticise him, his form warranted selection in 2009 and he was doing well.
His continued selection in 2010 has and always will baffle me... he played 24 of 25 games (i think) with about 3 good ones and was largely ineffective all season minus a game Vs Geelong, the prelim final, and laying a lot of tackles in the 2nd half of the drawn GF.
No amount of "all the other players were injured and out of form" justifies his selection to me.

Baker has been a solid player throughout his career but has tapered off in his twilight years.
IMO he should have been used as a depth player in 2011 sharing his spot in the BP with Smith and Winmar from time to time. Unfortunetly the game has passed him by and he should retire now.

Blake on the other is a player that has played his best football in his twilight years.
Right up until RL came I always thought he was the most overrated player on this forum by a long long way. Simply didn't provide much. As a tall, defensive running back he has been superb over the last 2 years.
Coming into his twilight now, he should be used as a depth/role player. Transition his spot with Walsh/Simpkin/Johnson
I think bad coaching has seen he get selected despite not having a suitable role/opponent a few times early this season

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

ralphsmith wrote:
Other players on our senior list also have match losing qualities like Raph Clarkes inability to not know when to kick the ball, resulting in a tackle holding the ball turnover, goal to opposition. You can't get rid of them all unforuntately, salaray cap etc.

You can blend into tactics with athletic ability (like Mcqualter/Blake) but to win premierships you need the Geelong/Collingwood level of AFL brained footballers.

Which is why these teams put us to shame and we insist on clinging to the battlers.
Shame really we can't trade 18 players and top up with guns..............!!!

So you rate J.Hunt a better player than Baker, you should ask some cat fans what they think
or Goldsack better than Blake or Leigh Brown better than Blake............ ffs

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Anyone see the irony of this coming from a fan of sean ralphsmith?

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!