Zac needs to learn some spoiling skills

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Zac needs to learn some spoiling skills

Its just happening too often! :twisted: Zac's attempts to spoil at times are crude and have resulted in us losing his services in vital games!
GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER SON! (there's the good boy!)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Zac needs to learn some spoiling skills

thejiggingsaint wrote:Its just happening too often! :twisted: Zac's attempts to spoil at times are crude and have resulted in us losing his services in vital games!
Well he's already spoiled quite a few threads :wink:

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Yarp!!!!!!!!! :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I suggest you have a look (if you can bear it) at the last 5 minutes of the 2009 GF. Gary Ablett was certain to take a mark and there was no way anybody could spoil it without giving away a free. But Zac did. The ball was punched towards our goal but hit the foot of Matthew Scarlett and it rebounded back to Gary Ablett (both flukes). Ten centimetres further to Scarlett's right, the ball would have gone right past him and in to the waiting arms of a Saints player 20 metres clear. Then, anything could have happened.

Zac is a very good spoiler and is improving. He wasn't trying to spoil Josh Fraser he was trying to hit him because a spoil was impossible. He needs to get better at disguising the fact, but even the master of the hit/spoil, Dustin Fletcher, has been rubbed out a few times for the same thing.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

He also badly needs to learn when to make body contact and when to back himself to either mark, or spoil the ball, without going and trying to "body" whoever he's playing on.
Time after time he loses sight of the ball by insisting on trying to make body contact when it's not necessary and it costs him (and us) so often it's not funny.
It's like he's been taught that the only way to stop someone from marking the ball is to outbody them (which is not in his favour anyway, as he isn't that strong), when he can in fact also achieve that goal by marking the ball himself, or simply punching it away. Two of his greatest strengths are his height and his athleticism, yet he almost always tries to use his physical strength, which isn't as much of an asset to him. It's called playing to your strengths and he doesn't do it anywhere near enough.
Many times he's in a better position to get first touch on the ball (as he is coming from the same direction as the ball is travelling), but then he gives that advantage up by turning his back on the thing and looking for whoever the kick was meant for. He then tries to outbody them and by the time the ball arrives he has no idea where it is, while they do, because they haven't taken their eyes off it. So he goes from being in the best position to touch or mark it first, to having far less chance of doing either, as he now has little idea where it is, and often is not well balanced in the body contest, simply because of his obsession with making body contact pretty much every time the ball comes near him (in the air).
If he just improved that one aspect of his game he'd be probably 50% better and more valuable to us.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO MAKE BODY CONTACT IN EVERY MARKING SITUATION, ZAC. YOU CAN IN FACT JUST GO FOR THE BALL, AS BRIAN LAKE, FOR INSTANCE, SHOWED SO OFTEN LAST YEAR.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:I suggest you have a look (if you can bear it) at the last 5 minutes of the 2009 GF. Gary Ablett was certain to take a mark and there was no way anybody could spoil it without giving away a free. But Zac did. The ball was punched towards our goal but hit the foot of Matthew Scarlett and it rebounded back to Gary Ablett (both flukes). Ten centimetres further to Scarlett's right, the ball would have gone right past him and in to the waiting arms of a Saints player 20 metres clear. Then, anything could have happened.

Zac is a very good spoiler and is improving. He wasn't trying to spoil Josh Fraser he was trying to hit him because a spoil was impossible. He needs to get better at disguising the fact, but even the master of the hit/spoil, Dustin Fletcher, has been rubbed out a few times for the same thing.
Was one of the ballsiest plays I've ever seen a defender make.

Deserved reward.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

APS....your in form.

Ben McEvoy of the forum

Rosco
Club Player

could have been "the spoil of the century".

jays
Club Player

needs to learn not to be dirty aswell

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Re: Zac needs to learn some spoiling skills

Dr Spaceman wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:Its just happening too often! :twisted: Zac's attempts to spoil at times are crude and have resulted in us losing his services in vital games!
Well he's already spoiled quite a few threads :wink:
You seem to think he did nothing wrong Dr Space (who can see no wrong in Saints players).
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Two weeks with Zac's record and a dumb act with seven minutes to go in a game we've won.
A dumb act?

Or a slight error of judgement in a desperate attempt to spoil a mark?

I'm glad that you can be so certain of your assessment.

And are you suggesting that the players should back off from all contests once the game is "won"?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Well he's already spoiled quite a few threads  :wink:
You seem to think he did nothing wrong Dr Space (who can see no wrong in Saints players).
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Two weeks with Zac's record and a dumb act with seven minutes to go in a game we've won.
A dumb act?

Or a slight error of judgement in a desperate attempt to spoil a mark?

I'm glad that you can be so certain of your assessment.

And are you suggesting that the players should back off from all contests once the game is "won"?
I can see wrong in Saints players. I simply choose not to come on here and give them a spray, like you regularly do with Kosi. What do such comments achieve?

Anyway I maintain it was a fine line between a desperate attempt to spoil and a dumb act. The fact he got rubbed out does not give weight to it being the latter IMO. Campbell Brown got lucky, Zac didn't.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I am a supporter of Zac. He plays exceptionally well and is a key defender, but he lets himself down on a regular basis by giving away free kicks through stupid/elementary mistakes and he needs to improve his concentration in this area.

I would also like to see him take more marks when he is well positioned to do so. Simply knocking the ball away every time, negates the more attacking option when it presents itself.

If he could learn to kick with his right foot, that would be helpful also !

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:I am a supporter of Zac. He plays exceptionally well and is a key defender, but he lets himself down on a regular basis by giving away free kicks through stupid/elementary mistakes and he needs to improve his concentration in this area.

I would also like to see him take more marks when he is well positioned to do so. Simply knocking the ball away every time, negates the more attacking option when it presents itself.

If he could learn to kick with his right foot, that would be helpful also !
So, why are you a great supporter of Zac? He gives away too many frees, doesn't mark when he should and is one sided, all of which I agree with. How does he get a game?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

How does he get a game? Because we have limited options for full back.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:He also badly needs to learn when to make body contact and when to back himself to either mark, or spoil the ball, without going and trying to "body" whoever he's playing on.
Time after time he loses sight of the ball by insisting on trying to make body contact when it's not necessary and it costs him (and us) so often it's not funny.
It's like he's been taught that the only way to stop someone from marking the ball is to outbody them (which is not in his favour anyway, as he isn't that strong), when he can in fact also achieve that goal by marking the ball himself, or simply punching it away. Two of his greatest strengths are his height and his athleticism, yet he almost always tries to use his physical strength, which isn't as much of an asset to him. It's called playing to your strengths and he doesn't do it anywhere near enough.
Many times he's in a better position to get first touch on the ball (as he is coming from the same direction as the ball is travelling), but then he gives that advantage up by turning his back on the thing and looking for whoever the kick was meant for. He then tries to outbody them and by the time the ball arrives he has no idea where it is, while they do, because they haven't taken their eyes off it. So he goes from being in the best position to touch or mark it first, to having far less chance of doing either, as he now has little idea where it is, and often is not well balanced in the body contest, simply because of his obsession with making body contact pretty much every time the ball comes near him (in the air).
If he just improved that one aspect of his game he'd be probably 50% better and more valuable to us.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO MAKE BODY CONTACT IN EVERY MARKING SITUATION, ZAC. YOU CAN IN FACT JUST GO FOR THE BALL, AS BRIAN LAKE, FOR INSTANCE, SHOWED SO OFTEN LAST YEAR.
This is spot on. Stop trying to play to your weakest point (lack of strength) and instead play to your strengths.

Also, there is nothing tough about trying to be a big tough guy after the fact (opposition mark, free, etc) as Zac so often does. :roll:

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

It was just a matter of who would put forward the points that you raised Bernard.

The deficiencies that I raised, if corrected, will make Zac a much better player, potentially up to a Fisher standard. It's a question of the things that Zac needs to improve on to go from a good Saints player, to an absolute key player and prime mover.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

averages just over one free given away a game, same as gilbert, joey and milne

oh yeah thats right a defender, who woulda thunk it!

string him up :shock:
better yet...

Dan...get the spade

starsign
Club Player

A desperate act to spoil WAS spoilt by a dumb act!
He might only average one free a match like Gilbo Joey & the Tip Rat but theirs don't preclude them from playing off this handicap next week

matrix
Saintsational Legend

good call starsign

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Nah, his spoiling is generally quite effective. It's not as though he has bags of goals kicked against him game in and game out.

Anyway, he would have practised spoiling at training drills until he was blue in the face.

It was a split second decision which cost him. Perhaps a little too much of a blood rush to the head. If anything he'd need to work on composing himself psychologically for a game.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Junction Oval wrote: will make Zac a much better player, potentially up to a Fisher standard.
Whooooaaaaaaaaaaa slow down there....

I agree Zac has the tools to be a handy player, and needs to cut the crap, but Fisher is borderline all time Saints great...

IMO best backman in the comp right now...

Lets not jump the gun...

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I loved it when Zac spoilt Buddy's smile by knocking out his tooth with another Zac Attack a couple of years back.

From memory got nothing for that. Nowdays he would get a month :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)