If any Saints players are going to GWS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

If any Saints players are going to GWS

Do you think they will follow suit?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/g ... 6106504261

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Not sure who is uncontracted. Pretty sure we have locked away all our A graders - even Gilbert is locked in and he's the one being talked about. That would have to be an amicable split between parties.

mohannair
Club Player

Re: If any Saints players are going to GWS

SainterK wrote:Do you think they will follow suit?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/g ... 6106504261
Not not heard abt. any, last we all heard was BJ openly expressing his future options.

wasaintsfan
Club Player

i dont blame people for not coming forward about it....

this guy has been out all season he doesnt need to be around the team all the time

imagine the crap theyd get from say roo... after he declined an offer from gold coast?

ultimately i wouldnt hold it against any player for leaving with the money thats being offered...

i doubt any one would say no to quiting their current job if they were offered 4 times the money?

just hope to not see any of our stars in other colours...

bad enough seeing guys like spider, hall, lockett etc in other colours

wierd how all of them ended up at sydney though =P

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

yep can't criticise players for leaving for so much extra coin. Riewoldt's on close to a 1 mill a year with us anyway.

Zac Attack
Club Player

We are not going to win the premiership this season so I would want to the player gone whether young or old.

Despite having five games plus hopefully a few finals it could still be seen as experience for say a Tom Lynch, Tom Simpkin et al.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Without having any inside info - my gut feel is everyone at the Saints will stay on for one last crack at a flagnext year. After that we may see an exodus/trade flurry if some guys try and cash in on GWS/GC money.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Without having any inside info - my gut feel is everyone at the Saints will stay on for one last crack at a flagnext year. After that we may see an exodus/trade flurry if some guys try and cash in on GWS/GC money and we can start a total re-build in 2013.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

One who's been mentioned a few times is Rhys Stanley.

I reckon with GWS poaching 20 year old Phil Davis, it's shown their hand a bit. They're gonna build a team to win a flag in 7 years, not one that can be competitive almost straight away. They're not going after 30 year olds to lead the way from round 1.

I think Stanley fits that bill - in the system a few years, a couple of pre-seasons under the belt, potential to be anything etc.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:Rhys Stanley… potential to be anything etc.
Except that he isn't even playing well at VFL level when his hamstrings let him…
Aside from the Grand Final Sprint I haven't seen anything exciting from him, would be great if he did flourish for us though…

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

dragit wrote:
Except that he isn't even playing well at VFL level when his hamstrings let him…
Aside from the Grand Final Sprint I haven't seen anything exciting from him, would be great if he did flourish for us though…
Absolutely agree. I wouldn't be that sad to see him go to be honest. I'm not sure there is enough potential above the shoulders, from what we've all seen.

His height and athleticism are what gives him the "potential" tag, and I think Sheedy would be all over that.

SinCitySaint
Club Player

If Rhys Stanley is the player we lose to GWS I would be over the moon as it would mean no important player could be targeted directly.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

St Chris wrote:
dragit wrote:
Absolutely agree. I wouldn't be that sad to see him go to be honest. I'm not sure there is enough potential above the shoulders, from what we've all seen.

His height and athleticism are what gives him the "potential" tag, and I think Sheedy would be all over that.
I think Stanley is one we should shop around to GWS, and try to snag a pick for him... Any pick tbh...

He has been given opportunity, and has shown nothing at any level really... Gone backwards in fact.. IMO he isn't up to it, won't make it, but for some reason may have some currency, so I'd be looking to cash in on whatever amount that may be...

Pretty much everyone else is off limits IMO...

Massive loss for the Crows after losing Bock last year, this kid was to fill that spot and lessened the loss of their CHB... Now he's gone too...

And he can play... Will be a serious quality tall defender for years to come..

Almost unfair...

Middo
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:
St Chris wrote:
dragit wrote:

I think Stanley is one we should shop around to GWS, and try to snag a pick for him... Any pick tbh...

He has been given opportunity, and has shown nothing at any level really... Gone backwards in fact.. IMO he isn't up to it, won't make it, but for some reason may have some currency, so I'd be looking to cash in on whatever amount that may be...

Massive loss for the Crows after losing Bock last year, this kid was to fill that spot and lessened the loss of their CHB... Now he's gone too...

Almost unfair...
Think Stanley may prove a few people wrong over the next few seasons.... :wink:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Middo
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:
St Chris wrote:
dragit wrote:

Almost unfair...

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:Think Stanley may prove a few people wrong over the next few seasons.... :wink:
That would be great…
If big guys do take much longer to come on then he could take a few more years… but right at the moment he isn't demanding an elevation into the 1's that's for sure… (being injured doesn't help i suppose!)

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:
Sobraz wrote:
St Chris wrote:
dragit wrote:

Almost unfair...
Hope to be proven wrongest.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:One who's been mentioned a few times is Rhys Stanley.

I reckon with GWS poaching 20 year old Phil Davis, it's shown their hand a bit. They're gonna build a team to win a flag in 7 years, not one that can be competitive almost straight away. They're not going after 30 year olds to lead the way from round 1.

I think Stanley fits that bill - in the system a few years, a couple of pre-seasons under the belt, potential to be anything etc.
If they want Stanley then they must be chasing at least 120 players because apart from Saints people I doubt anyone else sees much potential in him.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Thinline wrote:
Middo wrote:
Sobraz wrote:
St Chris wrote:
dragit wrote:

Almost unfair...
Hope to be proven wrongest.
I see your wrongest and raise you with my hope to be proven wrongerer...

I generally don't like to go early on the young guys (I can honestly say I have some genuine hope deep down for Cahill to step up - no jokes), but Stanley is one I've all but given up on...

jays
Club Player

could be gilbert

matrix
Saintsational Legend

if someones going
go now

give the spot to someone that wants to hang around and be part of our club

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I seriously think Gilbo will go to GWS next year.

The no Manager thing is a convenient excuse for him not to sign with us.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

GWS are not muppets they are not going to target blokes who cant play in the best 22 of their current side ... i think we have been lucky with the raids because most of our best 22 are percived as "role" players rather then stars ... i honestly cant see us loosing a big name player to GWS

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

bad enough seeing guys like spider, hall, lockett etc in other colours

wierd how all of them ended up at sydney though =P

Your forgetting one of the most dangerous forward pockets ever: Craig O'Brian!

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."