Looking ahead to Friday week.....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint tash
Club Player

Looking ahead to Friday week.....

I know. Goes against the age old adage of one week at a time but this game has been itching at me since the last time we played the filth.

I have been analysing the game quite a bit and despite being not as healthy list wise, I feel our form, quite obviously, is a lot better having been taking the game on a lot more of late.

I put this to all and sundry.....what would u like to see besides the obvious = a win.

For mine I would like to see Milney and Schnadzo have 4 quarter games or exert an influence.

And continue to take the game on.

Over to u guys....and gals. :wink:

The filth still have a few players out and might not be as predictable as usual with some non-regs getting a gig.

Oh when the saints go charging in!
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

they will bring is back to reality.
cant see us getting within 8 goals to be honest

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

A good result would be a 5 goal loss.

sasaint
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:A good result would be a 5 goal loss.
Bullocks. A good result would be a 5 goal win. Any team can be beaten on any given day and Ross would love to shove it up Malthouse.... And so would I :twisted:

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

If we are to have any chance, we must try and solve what is our achilles heal, which is our inability to turn defence into offence.
We can't win the ball at half back and have nothing to kick too up forward.
I actually think one of the best ways to beat Collingwood's press is with long, precision kicking out of defence.
A bit of a soccer adage, you can expose a team's defence and give yourself a good chance to score if you can get in behind the defence.
For example, Dal or BJ get the ball at half back, Collingwood try and corner them with their press, they then kick a long 50-60 metre pass over the Collingwood press to one of our forwards/midfielders who hasn't wondered down the ground with his opponent.
We then have an open forward line, the filth are caught out of position, scoring opportunity.
Well it's my theory, sadly, Jimmy Gwilt would have been ideal for this tactic.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

gamble, lynch and to smaller extent schneids and milne are extremely important. Early goals from these players mean the likes of o'brian and maxwell need to keep checks and thus less third men up that killed us last time.

Also our contested ball and clearance work need to be spot on. Deny the pies the ball and they don't look world beaters.

Would love to hunt them and push them. Not fussed if we win but scare them would be extremely good outcome.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saint tash
Club Player

Deny the pies the ball and they don't look world beaters

Either does anyone.

It's how they get the ball back.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

saintdooley wrote:they will bring is back to reality.
This should be left for the banner sayings thread next week, sheesh!!!!
:roll: :roll: :roll:

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The real reality or the imaginary reality? We will certainly be within 8 goals at the opening bounce. But as to the rest of the game, to quote Mao Tse-tung when asked in the 1960s about the lasting effects of the French Revolution, "Too soon to tell!"

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
stfu

in my opinion we wont get near collingwood. this is a fan forum, i can say what i want. if you honestly believe we can beat them well good for you! you obviously have not been watching them for the past 19 weeks.

yes, any team can beat anyone on any day, but collingwood are miles infront of us and i dont think we stand a chance. thats my opinion. we all get to have our own.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
PaytonPlace
Club Player

saintdooley wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
stfu

in my opinion we wont get near collingwood. this is a fan forum, i can say what i want. if you honestly believe we can beat them well good for you! you obviously have not been watching them for the past 19 weeks.

yes, any team can beat anyone on any day, but collingwood are miles infront of us and i dont think we stand a chance. thats my opinion. we all get to have our own.
They are pretty flat at the moment with nothing to play for, they were 29 points down to Essendon and drew a half with the Suns. Don't think that gives us a chance?

I'm excited. I might be deluded, but I think in a one off game, we have a big chance at the old Tin Can stadium...

Becca

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
stfu

I love this club
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
stfu

So you're entitled to have an opinion but anyone else's contrary opinion on the same topic is fatally flawed.

Okay...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

PaytonPlace wrote:
saintdooley wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
stfu

They are pretty flat at the moment with nothing to play for, they were 29 points down to Essendon and drew a half with the Suns. Don't think that gives us a chance?

I'm excited. I might be deluded, but I think in a one off game, we have a big chance at the old Tin Can stadium...

Becca
they did not try against GC and won by about 10 goals.

they were down to essendon by 5 goals and won by 12 goals.

dont underrate them.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

I want to see us win the tackle count.

Any team that wins the tackle count and the inside 50s has won the game 98% of the time. And AFAIAC if you're the losing team and you haven't won the tackle count, you've been beaten on effort and intensity.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

I would love to say we will beat the filth, but I can't see us getting to close to them. If we win it will be a great result, but if we get within 5 goals that will be a reasonable resukt

I love this club
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:
PaytonPlace wrote:
saintdooley wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
 :roll:  :roll:  :roll:
stfu

Becca

dont underrate them.
I don't think anyone could possibly underrate them.

But I'll be going along in the full expectation that a win, although unlikely, is a possibility. 

And the fact it's at Etihad and not the MCG can only help our chances of overcoming the current benchmark team.

Go Saints :D

PaytonPlace
Club Player

saintdooley wrote:
PaytonPlace wrote:
saintdooley wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
stfu

Becca

dont underrate them.
Man, trust me, I'm not under-rating the toothless bogans at all.

But I feel there has to be an intensity factor in our favour. They will, let's face it, have won 11 straight by the time they play us. We can set out physically pressuring them. They don't have much to play for, we do.

I'd be disappointed if we don't have the biggest red hot crack against them you ever did see...

Agree to disagree, sure, but I'm in F the world, St Kilda or bust mode at the moment. I definitely don't want to sit in front of my TV next Friday night whimpering and thinking we can't win! Get into them! Kill! Crush! Destroy!

And if we lose, well, I'll be drunk anyway...

Becca

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

If it bleeds you can kill it.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I'm hoping the guys put in a 100% effort and make the contest competitive.

Etihad will give us the best opportunity to beat em.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Similarly timed to that one where we knocked off the Dorks a few years back...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
goddardisgod
Club Player

Bakes will come in to play on Harry O, and get him so pissed, that all his holier than thou attitude will go up in a cloud of violence and suspension.

Then he'll give Maxwell the squirrel grip.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Similarly timed to that one where we knocked off the Dorks a few years back...
yes indeed, the hawks were looking forward to playing the Cats the following week as well.

May catch them a bit distracted if they are thinking about R22.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
hungry for a premiership
Club Player

If ever we are a chance to beat the filth this season, it will be next friday night. I think a happy upset is on the cards...

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
saint tash
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
Thinline wrote:Similarly timed to that one where we knocked off the Dorks a few years back...
yes indeed, the hawks were looking forward to playing the Cats the following week as well.

May catch them a bit distracted if they are thinking about R22.
R22 I think they will be thinking about % as they play Brissie here at u guessed it, the G.

I know what u mean though....the Round 24 game seems like a dead rubber.

I for one will be really keen to see crowd numbers for this encounter and see how many of our faithful turn out. I know the filth will be there, pension day will be Tuesday.
Last edited by saint tash on Wed 03 Aug 2011 10:44pm, edited 1 time in total.