Time to bring in WALSH as a third tall forward...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Time to bring in WALSH as a third tall forward...

WinnersOnly wrote:LYON has to be bold and change things up if he wants to threaten the Pies this week. We need to find and ace to bring us closer to the top 4 teams aand IMO Tommy WALSH is just that!

The Pies like to play taller players on Milne and Schneider knowing they are not going to threaten them with their marking. They physically out mucsle both players and shut down our main scoring avenues.

IMO I think we need to keep there third tall backman busy and bring in another tall to play forward. It's time to play Walsh in replacement of Gamble. I know it is a huge ask for his first game but the guy is an older recruit and has played major roles for his country, so this shouldn't be any more imtimidating.

I really think he is the player who can go to another level if given the opportunity for the Saints. If he doesn't work up forward he can release Fisher or Gilbert forward. The other beneift is he can hold the main full forward post and ROO can play further up the ground or have Tommy lead his player away from ROO so they cant triple team him all game.

No point in playing it safe Ross - it's time role the dice and give the big fella a go and make there defence accountable! Get the team excited by his introduction and pump the big fella up and see if he cant intimidate some of the back line and get them looking around?

For the sake of 2011 please take a risk ROSS and back the big fella in!!!!
Walsh may play but WO how many games have you seen this guy play? Ace in the pack. What rubbish. He is hardly tearing it up at Sandy. Been solid but not an ace. Just about every week you want changes. Sometimes even a few after good wins. Well the guys you want in arent as good as the guys currently in and that is a fact. Our depth is currently non existent due to many injuries and because we also have a young seconds list. Even last week you wanted a few changes because that shows guts or some silly thing. As for how much sides beat one another, what does that mean or matter. If that was how it worked we would all get 8 winners each week. We play differently to the pies. We arent going to win by huge margins usually and the other thing is we have no idea what training faze either side is in.

If Walsh plays he isnt going to be the ace. He may be about 7 of hearts.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Question for people who attend the training sessions ... I'm interested to know .. from what you've seen - has St Kilda spent enough quality time with TW to help fast track his development ?

Does St Kilda need to spend more time ?
.. he's probably gone as far as he can go within the VFL ... I'd like to think he's not being neglected.

His pace and size could be a real asset.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:.. he's probably gone as far as he can go within the VFL ...
What would possibly give you that idea?

How can you make any such comment when you haven't seen him play there.

Really this relentless campaign to get Walsh into the seniors from people who have absolutely no idea of his capacity is getting a bit embarrassing.

I would have thought you would have gone quiet after Blake made all of your carryon last week look foolish.

I want Walsh to absolutely tear it up when he get into the seniors - like any player who plays for the Saints.

But this continuing demand to have Walsh in the team is really quixotic and didatic in both nature and fact.

get it a rest for goodness sake. :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Gee it'd be great if he played... instead of gamble perhaps. I think he'd thrive on the contest Friday night and it's a terrific reward for him coming across and working so hard at a new sport to have a match like this one for his first official AFL match. It really just screams... play Walsh. Let him show everyone why we drafted him.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

Really this relentless campaign to get Walsh into the seniors from people who have absolutely no idea of his capacity is getting a bit embarrassing.

I would have thought you would have gone quiet after Blake made all of your carryon last week look foolish.

I want Walsh to absolutely tear it up when he get into the seniors - like any player who plays for the Saints.

But this continuing demand to have Walsh in the team is really quixotic and didatic in both nature and fact.

I never made it a Walsh/Blake combat .. and wanted Blake to do well and he did = was glad to see that he's over his knee injury.

What a strange post !

I make no demands or hold any expectations.

I'm just asking a question directed to anyone who goes to training.

Re-read my post .. and put your rolling eyes to good use :)
Last edited by samoht on Mon 08 Aug 2011 2:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:Gee it'd be great if he played... instead of gamble perhaps. I think he'd thrive on the contest Friday night and it's a terrific reward for him coming across and working so hard at a new sport to have a match like this one for his first official AFL match. It really just screams... play Walsh. Let him show everyone why we drafted him.
Why would it be great? He may cost us the game. And if Gamble is fit surely he deserves a game ahead of Walsh. Why doesnt Simpkin deserve a game? He was named best yesterday.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Re: When did we last beat them?

WinnersOnly wrote:
1. Dan Warna when did we last beat Collingwood?
2010 round 3ish

I am so over these let's play Tommy threads

Look he may turn out to be a gun, but I prefer to back the team structures etc

In the gf we tried rob eddy as a decoy type forward on maxwell and did that work?

So to suggest that we play Tommy as a third forward in the guise of trying to take one of maxwell, o' brien etc it won't work

You need to watch the first half of essendon v pies, bombers showed how it can be done (they ran out of people that day)

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

What a strange post !

I make no demands or hold any expectations.

I'm just asking a question directed to anyone who goes to training.

Re-read my post .. and put your rolling eyes to good use :)
Not strange at all.

You made a statement on no factual evidence whatsoever.

you stated and I quote "...he's probably gone as far as he can go within the VFL ..."

and then tried to make a correllation to him not getting a gig in the seniors (after all thats what the OP is about) and him being neglected at training....

I mean really, how would anyone from training actually know considering most are closed sessions, they are at the club most of the day in meetings etc, and most of it is behind closed doors.

How did Blake go on Friday night? When the game was in the balance he stood up in defence and had 27 possession. Walsh would simply not have coped like Blake,

Really, you should go down to Sandy (there have been ample opportunities over the past month or more) and see how he actually travels in a game, instead of looking for crazy reason why Walsh is not in the team.

Really, your ranting over Walsh is getting a bit obsessive, especially when you have nothign to go on. :roll: :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:Gee it'd be great if he played... instead of gamble perhaps. I think he'd thrive on the contest Friday night and it's a terrific reward for him coming across and working so hard at a new sport to have a match like this one for his first official AFL match. It really just screams... play Walsh. Let him show everyone why we drafted him.
Why would it be great? He may cost us the game. And if Gamble is fit surely he deserves a game ahead of Walsh. Why doesnt Simpkin deserve a game? He was named best yesterday.
Because it is not "romantic" enough, and Tommy deserves to be "rewarded" (over other players for some reason).

Lance or James??

samoht
Saintsational Legend

JB ... I used the word "probably" !!

But you know better.

You're making all the correlations .. I'm merely asking a question to anyone who attends training - obviously you don't.

What's Blake got to do with anything .. I've always supported him !!!!!!

Think before you post !!

And I'm not necessarily agreeing with the original post.

You jump to too many conclusions.

The only conclusion to make .. is about your attitude... maybe you should try to give it a rest.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: When did we last beat them?

terry smith rules wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:
1. Dan Warna when did we last beat Collingwood?
2010 round 3ish
As an aside from the TW discussion...

...we seem to kick a whopping number of points against them each time, whether it be pressure or just bad kicking, but R16, GF1 and GF2 we went a long way to sealing our own defeat by spraying them everywhere. So, I think we're easily capable of defeating the Pies with our current personnel, if we turn up on the day.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Tommy Walsh hasn't set the world on fire down at Sandy and is still learning the game. I don't think anyone has put their hand up for senior game in the last couple of efforts from Sandy.. maybe Bakes

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:JB ... I used the word "probably" !!

But you know better.
No i dont but you made the statement
samoht wrote:You're making all the correlations .. I'm merely asking a question to anyone who attends training - obviously you don't.
I ask again - how would a casual observer possibly know what type of training and attention T.Walsh is receiving/
samoht wrote:What's Blake got to do with anything .. I've always supported him !!!!!!
Because you were belting on about Walsh in before Blake in a thread last week.
samoht wrote:Think before you post !!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
samoht wrote:The only conclusion to make .. is about your attitude... maybe you should try to give it a rest.
Why dont you like my attitude? Because I ask about your fixation with a player whom you haven't seen play this season, and that you keep demanding should be in the seniors.

many many others on here have stated that T.Walsh is not ready for the seniors but you blithely state he "probably has learned all he can in the VFL".

All I ask is what is that statement based on?

I dont need to give anything a rest. I just want to know why do people have this obsession with Walsh playing seniors when they dont even know his capabilities?

Really, it is a simple couple of questions that nobody seems to want to answer.

Lance or James??

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
We'll OBVIOUSLY Gamble will play if he's fit. Simpkin probably deserves a game. He played against Collingwood last time and seemed to do alright. You could say Geary probably deserves a full game as well. Why focus on the negative Plugger? Walsh may win us the game as well... you never know. I just want to see Walshy play really.

We're not expected to win on Friday so you'd think a match like that would be a better place to play him rather than one of the must win matches coming up.... I guess another difference between Walsh and one of the kids playing against the magpies is that he's 25, built like a brick outhouse and seems to crack in just as hard as any out there... Either way, I just think it'd be the perfect experience for him on Friday... but if I'm really honest to myself.... I doubt he'll play seniors this year.

I'll be there on Friday and be cheering on whoever runs out in the red, white and black.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

after dominating in the reserves and kicking 80 goals to this time in the season, as well as his high flying marking, TW seems to be the ultimate forward we need to see us through the next 8 weeks.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Because it is not "romantic" enough, and Tommy deserves to be "rewarded" (over other players for some reason).
We have got to play him some time. What better than a big stage? Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he played his role at the higher level and has immediate impact. Somewhere people seem to have forgotten that Tommy Walsh is considered the best gaelic footballer going around at the moment and he's languishing around the AFL system like a forgotten champion. Gun sportsmen like Tom thrive on the moment and the stage.... not at some crappy suburban VFL ground playing in front of 200 people. Only way to find out is to play him.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

[quote="joffaboy"]

Because you were belting on about Walsh in before Blake in a thread last week.

quote]

JB .. You should consider writing fairy tales.
Maybe Pinocchio 2 .. an autobiography.

I don't know why I'm bothering ,, but here goes ,, are you all ears this time ? ,, maybe push in your nose , it might bring out your ears.
,, are your eyes rolling in the right direction (perusing horizontally and carefully as opposed to inanely and vertically ).

In fact I said (and you'd clearly remember this as you were engaged in the discussion at the time) that Blake and Walsh are not necessarily competing - in fact I used the word "are not mutually exclusive " - after all we were missing both Dawson and Gwilt from the back line..

I also posted that if Blake was to come in - I'd be supporting his recall and hoping that he does well and agreed with another poster that Blake was a stalwart and a solid performer who in fact deserves everyone's respect. Even though Blake didn't feature amongst Sandy's best .. (and
Walsh did) .. I would still be okay with his recall.

the only reason I thought it was a perfect time to consider Walsh was the fact we were missing two regular big bodied/tall players from our backline.

and the only reason I "belted" on about Walsh ,, was it was odd that he's not being ever considered when other players who are not necessarily featuring in Sandy's best have been given goes (some multiple goes),
If I was comparing anyone to Walsh I was comparing him to other Sandy team mates who got a go !!

Now go and finish your fairytale.autobiography privately .. without bothering anyone.
Last edited by samoht on Mon 08 Aug 2011 8:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

prwilkinson wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
We have got to play him some time. What better than a big stage? Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he played his role at the higher level and has immediate impact. Somewhere people seem to have forgotten that Tommy Walsh is considered the best gaelic footballer going around at the moment and he's languishing around the AFL system like a forgotten champion. Gun sportsmen like Tom thrive on the moment and the stage.... not at some crappy suburban VFL ground playing in front of 200 people. Only way to find out is to play him.
Umm.... no we dont have to play him anytime, he plays if he is good enough, and at the moment from the games i have seen him play, he's not.
There have been lots and lots of players on team lists that have never played a senior game.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Tommy Walsh is like Majak Daw. Spoken about because he's different.

No one was calling for Simpkin's immediate inclusion is spite of consistently good form over two years for Sandringham.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
samoht
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Umm.... no we dont have to play him anytime, he plays if he is good enough, and at the moment from the games i have seen him play, he's not.
There have been lots and lots of players on team lists that have never played a senior game.
What I can't understand is .. how did Stanley, Heyne, Johnson, Smith, Archer get multiple games ... are they that far ahead of Walsh who doesn't even get a look in ? ,, not even 1 single chance ?
Simpkin got a couple chances at senior level ,, but he doesn't seem to run .. is more of a spoiler/negator to me.
Last edited by samoht on Mon 08 Aug 2011 8:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

BringBackMadDog wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
What were Ross's words in his press conference last week? "Tommy Walsh has been banging down the door of selection with his performances." Even on Triple M before the game on Saturday he was talking about playing him over the next fortnight.

But silly me for thinking he might get a game! If YOU say he isn't going to cut it then I guess he just simply isn't going to cut it....................................................
Last edited by prwilkinson on Mon 08 Aug 2011 8:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
What I can't understand is .. how did Stanley, Heyne, Johnson, Smith, Archer get multiple games ... are they that far ahead of Walsh who doesn't even get a look in ? ,, not even 1 single chance ?
Heyne: 3 (all last year, Walsh's first year)
Johnson: 1 (he was dominating and we were floundering)
Smith: 3 (3rd year on the list)
Archer: 1 (needed a ruckman, he had shown a fair bit in the NAB)

If we were 6-12, Walsh would be playing. But we have won 6 in a row, and are trying to mount an albeit unlikely premiership challenge. Walsh will play in time. Now we want our best 22.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
BringBackMadDog wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Stanley and Archer were coming in as forward ruckman and Walsh was playing back at the time. Heyne hasnt played this year and Walsh was a rookie last year. Smith is an onballer so I have no idea why he is included and Johnson was also a forward when Walsh was playing back. I cant work out why Simpkin shouldnt replace Gamble up forward for this week.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Also Simpkin got a couple of games ,

Walsh wasn't obviously going to get a game last year .. he was a rookie... but why not this year ? .. not even 1 ?

Odd .. very odd !

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Also Simpkin got a couple of games ,

Walsh wasn't obviously going to get a game last year .. he was a rookie... but why not this year ? .. not even 1 ?

Odd .. very odd !
1. He is a rookie this year.

2. Not odd at all, he has come close but we are winning so why would there be wholesale change?