Mcphee one week!! a joke

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint_Ash
Club Player
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

bergsone wrote:
jonesy wrote:Aussie rules is by far the best game in the world,by far

but by god aren't the AFL doing a spectacular job of f***ing it up

Rules commitee- Insipid
Match Review Panel- makes the Rules commitee look like a well oiled machine,and that's saying something
Games integrity-Cascading off the face of the earth rapidly
Agree,the amount of people of my era,who now say I am over it is not only disappointing,but very worrying :(
I'm 26 and am getting a bit over it.
The AFL are over sanitising it. I used to love watching the big (fair) hits and tackles but it hardly happens any more, and when it does there is a 90% chance of a suspension. It is a contact sport FFS, people get hurt.

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
Superboot
SS Life Member

stevie wrote:
Reading about the ump displays in WC/rich game and it was shocking. Also hawks/Roos was abysmal too from all accounts
Saw the last quarter of Hawks vs Roos and the umpiring was shocking. Most bad decisions went against Hawthorn, including one of the worst deliberate out of bounds decisions you'll see.

But one against North more or less decided the game. North player man-handled going for a mark in the middle of the ground. Ball spills, umpire calls play on, Buddy picks up the ball and kicks a goal. Game over.

I realised, watching this game, that my opinions of the way umpires handle Saints games are not simply a result of bias.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I just don't understand how the AFL can sanction such insane inconsistency.

Umpiring is bloody difficult. Everything happens at ridiculous pace and humans make mistakes. I can cop the occasional - and they are occasional - umpiring clanger.

BUT when you've got a supposedly professional body of skilled people with the benefits of the slow mo ad finitum still coming to a conclusion that defies any kind of logic I can't help but jump to my own conclusion that someone somewhere within sees the Saints coming up against the Suns and reckons it'll be a more even spectacle sans Roo and that the same person thinks 'geez, national comp and all, wouldn't it be good if we could do what we can to help the usually hapless and hopelessly injured Freo in the mix'.

Insane gibberish, of course. But I shouldn't even be think that in the first place.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Still trying to work out why johnson of filths bump wasn't deemed naughty in the current netball mode the game has moved into

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Don't worry Rooey got a more severe penalty than Mc phee. 3 weeks reduced to one for a good record. Mc Phee got 2 weeks reduced to one and actually received a loading for a poor record? Just a super puzzling discrepancy.

Roo incidental contact in the play, Mc Phee lines a guys head up while bent down and prone. Jack Steven driven head first into the ground no report, Trengove slings holding on for too long =weeks?????

The MRP know that certain clubs will make more noise and will be higher maintenance, so they lift their effort and make sure the really silly lazy reviews only happen for lower clubs. If Daisy had been hit it would be on talk back all week.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote: The MRP know that certain clubs will make more noise and will be higher maintenance, so they lift their effort and make sure the really silly lazy reviews only happen for lower clubs. If Daisy had been hit it would be on talk back all week.
I think it's more about the terrible system, than the MRP themselves.

It's just another in a long line of stuff ups by the AFL.

They're outlawing tackling and contact that is part and parcel of a contact sport - yet almost accepting thuggery as part of the game!

It's just bizarre really.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
gringo wrote: The MRP know that certain clubs will make more noise and will be higher maintenance, so they lift their effort and make sure the really silly lazy reviews only happen for lower clubs. If Daisy had been hit it would be on talk back all week.

They're outlawing tackling and contact that is part and parcel of a contact sport - yet almost accepting thuggery as part of the game!

There are over a 1000 tackles a game compared to 300 in the 60's and 70's when the game was apparently tough but in actual fact was slow with a few gutless players running around hitting guys behind play. The would also be more bumps now than back then. They used to shepherd by putting their hands out wide now they bump and ran about twice as fast as back then. The game is tougher than ever and because of how hard they hit they have changed the rule about head contact. Rooy was very unlucky and McPhee was very lucky but the game is still a very hard game and probably getting physically tougher every year.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

So plugger,
How many unlucky/lucky decisions by those employed by Anderson to sit in judgment before you finally admit that the MRP process/system needs looking at and correcting?

There have been some really sensible suggestions in this thread alone
eg
no early guilty plea reduction for 'intentional' offences

which surely would make the system 'fairer' and more reflective of reality.
Unfortunately even that change wouldn't 'correct the McPhee travesty becasue somehow those bozos managed to charaterize the deliberate 'cocking of an elbow' as either reckless or negligent rather than what it actually was - intentional.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

There are over a 1000 tackles a game compared to 300 in the 60's and 70's when the game was apparently tough but in actual fact was slow with a few gutless players running around hitting guys behind play. The would also be more bumps now than back then. They used to shepherd by putting their hands out wide now they bump and ran about twice as fast as back then. The game is tougher than ever and because of how hard they hit they have changed the rule about head contact. Rooy was very unlucky and McPhee was very lucky but the game is still a very hard game and probably getting physically tougher every year.
You're a classic Plugger, you put people to task on here for being one eyed in supporting a club on a fan forum.

Yet you are so protective, one eyed in fact of anything the AFL does.

Once an umpire always an umpire I suppose.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

You're a classic Plugger, you put people to task on here for being one eyed in supporting a club on a fan forum.

Yet you are so protective, one eyed in fact of anything the AFL does.

Once an umpire always an umpire I suppose.
Why because i think the game is still as tough as it has ever been? Silly comment. I didnt put anyone down, I pointed out that what the person said was clearly wrong based on facts and also watching the game and listening to current and older players. What being an umpire has to do with how tough I think the game is is very hard to understand. Can you advise me why being an umpire has to do with what I think about the game. I am unsure what your involvement has been in the game but surely being just a watcher means you should have an opinion as well. Should I knock you for only being a watcher?

And the only person I see sticking up for the Saints in these quotes is me.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

This is why American football is technically, the perfect run game. No ref mistakes, no second guessing. Every inch is accounted for.

I know people who aren't fans of it whine about the length of games, the stop- start, the helmets, blah blah.

But there would NO forums in the US, in the world even, ranting about the refs/umps destroying the game.

Go the Niners

Rosco
Club Player

stevie wrote:This is why American football is technically, the perfect run game. No ref mistakes, no second guessing. Every inch is accounted for.

I know people who aren't fans of it whine about the length of games, the stop- start, the helmets, blah blah.

But there would NO forums in the US, in the world even, ranting about the refs/umps destroying the game.

Go the Niners
it has a certain beauty, i just don't have 5 hours spare to watch a game live

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:So plugger,
How many unlucky/lucky decisions by those employed by Anderson to sit in judgment before you finally admit that the MRP process/system needs looking at and correcting?

There have been some really sensible suggestions in this thread alone
eg
no early guilty plea reduction for 'intentional' offences

which surely would make the system 'fairer' and more reflective of reality.
Unfortunately even that change wouldn't 'correct the McPhee travesty becasue somehow those bozos managed to charaterize the deliberate 'cocking of an elbow' as either reckless or negligent rather than what it actually was - intentional.
i agree with you there....as someone who sat on an afl affiliated tribunal for many years and chaired it for the last couple of years, i am appalled by the roo decision..especially when one compares it with the very deliberate and intentional elbow to sammy.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Nice work Plugger your taking your role very seriously as the chief apologist. Can't say I expect a bad day from you though, keep up the good work.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:...as someone who sat on an afl affiliated tribunal for many years and chaired it for the last couple of years,
What's an AFL affiliated tribunal?
A local footy tribunal?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
stinger wrote:...as someone who sat on an afl affiliated tribunal for many years and chaired it for the last couple of years,
A local footy tribunal?
Pretty sure it was the CFL.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:This is why American football is technically, the perfect run game. No ref mistakes, no second guessing. Every inch is accounted for.
But that is where the AFL have rooted the game down here.

Like everything they do, it's half way. It's neither here, nor there.

Half arsed, and lacking thought.

They try to remove grey areas, but don't work to introduce a video umpire.

They build new stadiums, but allow the operators to run them like amateurs.

The talk up a 'national comp', but then fight to keep all the Victorian teams!

They introduce a salary cap, yet allow '3rd party deals'!

They ban '3rd party deals', but then allow the ones that suit them!

They ban head high contact, but then give a guy 1 week for a blatant sniping elbow to a player's head!

The list just goes on, and on, and on, and on.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
But that is where the AFL have rooted the game down here.

Like everything they do, it's half way. It's neither here, nor there.

Half arsed, and lacking thought.

They try to remove grey areas, but don't work to introduce a video umpire.

They build new stadiums, but allow the operators to run them like amateurs.

The talk up a 'national comp', but then fight to keep all the Victorian teams!

They introduce a salary cap, yet allow '3rd party deals'!

They ban '3rd party deals', but then allow the ones that suit them!

They ban head high contact, but then give a guy 1 week for a blatant sniping elbow to a player's head!

The list just goes on, and on, and on, and on.
New stadiums are built but not by the AFL so they dont have a huge so on how they make money. Keeping Victorian sides makes sense if they can afford it. You would be the first to whinge that they are stuffing up the game if one folded or was forced to move. They have stopped some third party deals but obviously cant stop ones that have a contract to run. You can still have a third party deal but dont let the facts get in the way. Not much fact in most things you say. lets face it what ever or whoever runs the AFL will be doing a bad job in your opinion. Some people just are never happy and facts dont matter.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
dragit wrote:
A local footy tribunal?
Pretty sure it was the CFL.
How are the Canadian footy league affiliated with the AFL?

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:Oh dear :oops:

This is why Anderson should be sacked. he is totally incompetent and has devised a system that is a complete laughing stock of all football codes.

I heard on radio this morning that this would be the test of the MRP and the system when comparing it to Riewoldts penalty.

Well the system has failed, completely and comprehensively.

It is saying that if you accidently hit someone and they are injured you willg et more week than an intentional elbow to the face.

The AFL is basically saying that they want to stamp out incidental contact but you are allowed to elbow someone in the face and get a minimial penalty.

What a farce.

Says something if P66 thinks the penalty is wrong.

Totally agree. Total and absolute retards. Just another stab at the game we grew up living with. Throw in free agency, mid season drafts, constant rule interpretation changes, lop sided draws...I could go on. Disenchanted having a game I loved utterly and unecessarily and wholly BUTCHERED! :twisted:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:

This is why Anderson should be sacked. he is totally incompetent and has devised a system that is a complete laughing stock of all football codes.

I heard on radio this morning that this would be the test of the MRP and the system when comparing it to Riewoldts penalty.

It is saying that if you accidently hit someone and they are injured you willg et more week than an intentional elbow to the face.

The AFL is basically saying that they want to stamp out incidental contact but you are allowed to elbow someone in the face and get a minimial penalty.

What a farce.

Totally agree. Total and absolute retards. Just another stab at the game we grew up living with. Throw in free agency, mid season drafts, constant rule interpretation changes, lop sided draws...I could go on. Disenchanted having a game I loved utterly and unecessarily and wholly BUTCHERED! :twisted:
When was the game good in your opinion?

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:

What a farce.

1896 - 2004. Now in 2011 for me personally, the trend of the graph is rapidly dropping off the end of a cliff. And it f****** makes me so sad. It really does.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:

What a farce.

1896 - 2004. Now in 2011 for me personally, the trend of the graph is rapidly dropping off the end of a cliff. And it f****** makes me so sad. It really does.
You missed our longest period of (relative) sustained success, we've only missed the finals once since you stopped liking footy.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:

What a farce.

So it was better when clubs folded or were forced to move or merge or when nearly every club was bankrupt. Or when one or two games were on TV but not live. When people had up yours Oakley stickers on their car. Must have been going well then. Or when you stood in the rain at the Pies home ground and got spat on. Or when people yelled out rascist comments to players or even worse players did it constantly but the person who the rascist comment was directed at actually got suspended. Or when our club drafted players and they refused to play with us because we were a joke. Or when the tribunal was as bad as it is now but people forget. Sounds so much better. Sounds to me you are more pissed off we have got so close over that time but with no flag to show.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

The bottom line is, that the AFL have created an organisation that is confusing. It doesn't make sense.

They push the rich clubs to get richer. But then they throw money at the poor clubs.
What is crazy about it is, that by the rich clubs getting richer in the way the AFL are encouraging it - it comes at the expense of the other clubs.

Anzac Day is a case in point. That schedule alone, tips the scales so heavily in the favour of Collingwood and Essendon, on so many levels.

But the AFL don't touch that. Instead they let that ridicilously unfair situation occur - but then hand out cash to battling clubs!

It's bordering on moronic.

It's the equivalent of giving battlers the dole each month but not letting them go to Uni.
They're never going anywhere as long as that sort of thing is allowed to happen.

And then they rob the clubs in need of critical Draft picks to introduce new clubs! But then now announce they going to give some money to the battlers to help them survive!

That the hell is it that they're trying to actually achieve??!!