In's & out against Pies

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Re: IMO..

plugger66 wrote:
samoht wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
samoht wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:IN: WALSH, GARDINER
OUT: GAMBLE, McEVOY (rest)
I agree, they are both carrying injuries.

Walsh in - to see if he can help us apply more forward pressure.

Forward pressure needs to go up at least another notch - if we're to be any chance of beating the Hawks , Pies or the Cats.,, to stop the easy rebound which is our achilles heel vs top sides.
After all the games you have seen can you tell me about walsh's forward pressure.
The point is can you ?
Let's try and see .. anyone can chase and tackle...but you need leg speed
and from what I've seen Walsh has it - plus if Gamble is carrying an ankle that needs to be iced each match - Why Not ?
See this is the thing. You want the change and give us a reason so you are the one that has to know how good he is at chasing not me. Anyway you and WO want many changes every week to show some guts and usually are never close so I say Walsh and Gardiner are no hope this week. I dont get many right either so dont feel it is only you two. Its the reasons for your changes which confuse many.
Ill add to that, Gardiner probably needs a rest more then McEvoy. Struggled big time last week.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

We need to try to improve our forward pressure - our forwards apart from Roo are slow and sides rebound too easily against us.

If Gamble is carrying an ankle - 1 week's rest wont hurt.,, besides what forward pressure can gamble apply if he's carrying an ankle ?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:We need to try to improve our forward pressure - our forwards apart from Roo are slow and sides rebound too easily against us.

If Gamble is carrying an ankle - 1 week's rest wont hurt.,, besides what forward pressure can gamble apply if he's carrying an ankle ?
If Gamble is injured which the club has says he aint then he will be rested but Zac will probably just come in for him because Zac must play and there isnt anyone who could go up forward to help out.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

I'm hoping we will try to improve our forward pressure vs the Pies.
Try something new.

.. but the selectors will probably do whatever they see fit... they know better.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:I'm hoping we will try to improve our forward pressure vs the Pies.
Try something new.

.. but the selectors will probably do whatever they see fit... they know better.
So true. I think last week proved it.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

It's our forward pressure vs the top 3 sides that needs stepping up.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Forward pressure needs stepping up..........

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Leave Blake in to play on Leigh Brown. Also handy as an option on Cloke if Dawson gets beaten by him.

I don't see anything coming from left field for such a big game. However, who's going to play as the third lead-up forward if Gamble doesn't play?

We actually don't have anyone to replace that role, without robbing us of Goddard's creativity from half-back.

McEvoy has a big job on his hands against Jolly, and this will be the most important match-up for us. Will Lyon make the big call and play Gardiner instead? Mac could do with the break.

Lot's to ponder, but my guess is it will be Dawson for Gamble.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

in : win at all costs
Out: loss to the ferals!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Will johnson is the only forward available that would add defensive pressure. Well all I can think of.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

My concern is that if we get an injury in september to a forward we will be bringing in someone who has played no games or 1 game.

While Gamble is apparently good to go, I wouldn't be adverse to bringing in Lynch or Johnson to give them a run.

This week is very impotant and so is team continuity, but we are leaving ourselves open to potentially having to bring someone in to a final with little or no afl experience.

We want to win this week, but we don't have to. But after this week we cannot afford to lose.

It might be good to make sure Gamble gets himself right and give someone finals like experience, just in case.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:My concern is that if we get an injury in september to a forward we will be bringing in someone who has played no games or 1 game.

While Gamble is apparently good to go, I wouldn't be adverse to bringing in Lynch or Johnson to give them a run.

This week is very impotant and so is team continuity, but we are leaving ourselves open to potentially having to bring someone in to a final with little or no afl experience.

We want to win this week, but we don't have to. But after this week we cannot afford to lose.

It might be good to make sure Gamble gets himself right and give someone finals like experience, just in case.
Let's give everyone a go/ a run/some AFL experience .. anyone but Walsh that is !! :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
Leo.J wrote:My concern is that if we get an injury in september to a forward we will be bringing in someone who has played no games or 1 game.

Let's give everyone a go/ a run/some AFL experience .. anyone but Walsh that is !! :wink:
Ive got a better idea. Lets play our best side every week because we dont have the luxury that the Pies or Cats have due to our poor start.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Re: IMO..

WinnersOnly wrote:IN: WALSH, GARDINER
OUT: GAMBLE, McEVOY (rest)
I love posts like this... the grass is always greener..

So no place for Dawson!!!!

But walsh who seems to be seen as some as the best new player since the last best new player should come in

And gardiner according to all reports was ordinary at best last week and now you want him in against the cream

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

samoht
Saintsational Legend

!??
Last edited by samoht on Thu 11 Aug 2011 3:01pm, edited 2 times in total.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Ive got a better idea. Lets play our best side every week because we dont have the luxury that the Pies or Cats have due to our poor start.
It might be a good idea to try to improve our pathetic forward 50 tackle count too !
.. and everyone should be considered !!! .. especially anyone with size and speed.

If we have less forward tackles with less forward entries than the top 3 sides - we wont win.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Photos of training up on Saints facebook, Gamble looks to be running fine.

In that case

In Dawson
Out Blake

Also notice in the pics Gardi getting a bit of a coach pep, so he may be a chance. Though you'd think that it would see Kosi play purely FF, would be shame to mess with the balance of his rucking and playing deep that has been working so well.

However if Collingwood name all of Jolly, Wood and Brown....I reckon Gardi could come in at perhaps Gamble or Polo's expense

samoht
Saintsational Legend

I hope Gamble is fighting fit and plays and we somehow manage to get our F50 tackle count to 35 plus from this week on.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Even though we are winning I hate our forwardline.

Need another tall.

Just saying.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

More F50 pressure? How about Goddard to centre, Steven forward pocket with a third small forward to exploit the size difference? Roo triple teamed at the risk of Kosi providing a target, or Kosi crashing the pack with Milne, Schnieder and Steven waiting? With Goddard in the centre, I'd trust him to be able to deliver deep to provide the pressure.

While Dawes, Brown or Wood are possible inclusions, along with Cloke and Jolly, Blake will stay with Zac's inclusion.

GoTheTorp
Club Player

In Dawson
Out Raph

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Even though we are winning I hate our forwardline.

Need another tall.

Just saying.
You may just get your wish.

Ben/Gardi

Roo/Kosi

I don't think Ross has given up on this idea yet.

Edit on that...St Kilda FC places J Gwilt, A McQualter, T Ledger, S Crocker on long-term injury list. No rookie replacement for any player at this stage.

Curious, is Gardi on the LTI?

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

whats the story with syposs?

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I reckon we can afford to lose two from now on.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Ralphy wrote:whats the story with syposs?
Shin Splints, still bout 3 weeks away