Ken Sheldon Chats about the 1992 Finals and looks ahead

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mcadam05
Club Player

Ken Sheldon Chats about the 1992 Finals and looks ahead

Stk vs Collingwood

Stk vs Footscray

ENJOY!

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

It was a shame in a way that Sheldon's career was so short lived as our coach. I thought he really helped set a new benchmark for our club.

What was the exact reason for his dismissal in 1993? Surely it was due to more than just missing out on the finals that year.

All of our coaches in histroy, a part from Yabby, have had relatively short stints. I'd really love to see RL remain our coach for at least another 5 years, providing he is steering the ship in the right direction of course.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Winmar
Club Player

It was certainly a bit hasty. I don't think it would happen like that these days. I blame Simon O'Donnell!

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

The 1991 side was fitter and better and could have beaten West Coast and maybe Hawthorn. The 1992 side was not going to beat West Coast. Ken Sheldon did not have the gift of the gab, as can be seen from the interview. Then again, that didn't stop Malcolm Blight from getting two flags, albeit the luckiest two of all time.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:The 1991 side was fitter and better and could have beaten West Coast and maybe Hawthorn. The 1992 side was not going to beat West Coast. Ken Sheldon did not have the gift of the gab, as can be seen from the interview. Then again, that didn't stop Malcolm Blight from getting two flags, albeit the luckiest two of all time.
Yet we slaughtered them 5 weeks earlier in the wet at Waverley.......

Bring back the Lockett era
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:
perfectionist wrote:The 1991 side was fitter and better and could have beaten West Coast and maybe Hawthorn. The 1992 side was not going to beat West Coast. Ken Sheldon did not have the gift of the gab, as can be seen from the interview. Then again, that didn't stop Malcolm Blight from getting two flags, albeit the luckiest two of all time.
Yet we slaughtered them 5 weeks earlier in the wet at Waverley.......
Pefectionist - I agree with you on the 1991 team. It seemed like Murphy's Law that were to play Geelong in an Elimination Final of the first in the finals. Such a shame the finals panned out that way for us.

Perhaps in some ways right about Sheldon not having the gift of the gab, although I think he articulated himself very well when reflecting on the '91 and '92 season finals campaigns.

Jonsey - you are spot on. We crushed the soon to be Premiership Weagles at Waverly only a month before the finals. What a great day in the rain it was. Will never forget Spud Frawley's tackle on Sumich(?). Sumich(?) was in the clear with no opponent around for almost 50 metres. He thought he had all the time in the world to waltz in and kick a goal, until Frawley pulversied him with one of the best tackles you'll see in wet weather footy.

Did "SOD" really have something to do with Sheldon's sacking?

mcadam05
Club Player

maybe 3yrs of crap recruiting cost Sheldon his job, our peak years should of been 93,94,95,96

sadly by 94 we were a mess and had too re built
Last edited by mcadam05 on Thu 18 Aug 2011 4:18pm, edited 3 times in total.

thequarry
Club Player

Loving your work mcadam05, thank you very much for putting these online.

Still trying to snag a copy of the 1992 Season Highlights video on Ebay - it's the only one I don't have! It's a shame "proper", general release production weren't made for the past two years (a whole season in 45 minutes for 2009, although last year's was actually quite good at an hour). Great to have this kind of stuff to look back on as the years pass.

mcadam05
Club Player

thequarry wrote:Loving your work mcadam05, thank you very much for putting these online.

Still trying to snag a copy of the 1992 Season Highlights video on Ebay - it's the only one I don't have! It's a shame "proper", general release production weren't made for the past two years (a whole season in 45 minutes for 2009, although last year's was actually quite good at an hour). Great to have this kind of stuff to look back on as the years pass.
best place i have found for 2nd hand video's is op shops always heaps too pick from sometimes you get lucky. In the last couple of years heaps of those name a game videos have popped up , i got a copy of the 93 vic park match for 5 bucks :D

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

mcadam05 wrote:maybe 3yrs of crap recruiting cost Sheldon his job, our peak years should of been 93,94,95,96

sadly by 94 we were a mess and had too re built
ah, good point.

yeah, if i remember sheldon seemed to have a hankering for recycling players from other clubs.

some of the them not bad e.g. tim peakin, stephen newport, grant lawrie, dean anderson, craig o'brien etc...

other not so great e.g. lawrence bingham, mark arceri, tony antribus, ian aitkin.

although, some of them gave us some good service, they weren't exactly long term prospects. perhaps sheldon was after the quick fix?

not a lot youth came from the sheldon era in recruiting. peter everrit is the only big name i can think of off the top of my head.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

yep....and from memory he and hudson were after the quick fix....looked after themselves basically......didn't mix with the players either.....at the time i was invited to a couple of functions by sponsors where both were present...at times
when i thought that they should have been with the players...nice guys though....well sheldon was....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Zac Attack
Club Player

Sheldon spoke well (in my opinion). Limited cliches and from what I gathered fairly honest/straight to the point.

He paused a fair bit during his talks however so what? He came across as a man with a good football brain and gave a pretty fair assessment of where the club was during those years.

Even as a kid I found it a wee bit odd/hasty that he was sacked so swiftly.

thequarry
Club Player

mcadam05 wrote:
thequarry wrote:Loving your work mcadam05, thank you very much for putting these online.

best place i have found for 2nd hand video's is op shops always heaps too pick from sometimes you get lucky. In the last couple of years heaps of those name a game videos have popped up , i got a copy of the 93 vic park match for 5 bucks :D

Amazing find! I should really start looking harder - I've come across the odd Seasons Highlights (non-St Kilda) or general highlights compilation videos, but nothing like that!

thequarry
Club Player

Zac Attack wrote:Sheldon spoke well (in my opinion). Limited cliches and from what I gathered fairly honest/straight to the point.

He paused a fair bit during his talks however so what? He came across as a man with a good football brain and gave a pretty fair assessment of where the club was during those years.

Even as a kid I found it a wee bit odd/hasty that he was sacked so swiftly.
I must say, I really do enjoy listening to him talk in both the '91 and '92 highlights. He does seem to be quite honest and to genuinely think about what he's saying (and at the very least I find it entertaining anyway).

mcadam05
Club Player

thequarry wrote:
mcadam05 wrote:

Amazing find! I should really start looking harder - I've come across the odd Seasons Highlights (non-St Kilda) or general highlights compilation videos, but nothing like that!
if i see a copy in my travels i will give you a heads up :) i dont know if you have the 1997 review of the season ' The Mission' but you can buy that at jbhifi on dvd for under 10bucks

To the top
SS Life Member

Victim of circumstances at that time.

Both Sheldon and Hudson were replaced - comment at the time was that the Board were not comfortable with the virtual joint responsibility for on field matters being with Sheldon and Hudson hence both were replaced.

I recall the match v. West Coast - was in the rooms at half time and when we went back to our seats the ground had been the subject of a deluge which we knew nothing of.

I would disagree that Sheldon and Hudson did not get aling with the players - and both attended all functions including sponsor functions and bebefactor events.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Victim of circumstances at that time.

Both Sheldon and Hudson were replaced - comment at the time was that the Board were not comfortable with the virtual joint responsibility for on field matters being with Sheldon and Hudson hence both were replaced.

I recall the match v. West Coast - was in the rooms at half time and when we went back to our seats the ground had been the subject of a deluge which we knew nothing of.

I would disagree that Sheldon and Hudson did not get aling with the players - and both attended all functions including sponsor functions and bebefactor events.
didn't say that they didn't get along...said that they didn't mix.....also didn't say that they didn't attend any functions that they should have.....i was with them on several occasions when i was uncomfortable about them being there as i though they had more pressing duties elsewhere....was generally after a match when a couple of sponsors, those two and i went out to dinner

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He sounded drunk

To the top
SS Life Member

Recruited both Bingham and Flanagan (from Geelong) - plus Fletcher from Geelong who had one very good season (very good overhead mark for his size) but then wanted more than St Kilda would pay.

Bingham and Flanagan were recruited because Sheldon wanted 2 big rucks.

Both played some reasonable games.

Grieg played some very good footy for a short period after coming into the side very late one year - v. Carlton at Waverley and BOG in his first game?

Morris was another recruit - great guy as well.

Frawley and Burke being taken out early in that final v. Geelong hurt.

I spent 1993/94 overseas - and when I returned heard only the story that the Board were looking at appropriating responsibility for the decline in on-field performance, that these responsibilities were blurred between Sheldon and Hudson as Coach and Football Manager and both were relieved of their responsibilities.

Sheldon returned to the club later.

As I say, associated with both Sheldon and Hudson socially thru then benefactors of St Kilda until leaving for an off-shore 2 year appointment in early 1993 and found them both most pleasant and engaging company.

There was Sheldon and Davenport of course! How Sheldon got to where he got to is a question - and he questioned how we got into the rooms at half time in a very colourful and direct manner - then we had to find our way back to our box!

Great days.

This was also the period of the football club/social club fiasco coming to a head - and Lockett's demands were omni-present with everyone sworn to silence.

Remember one "insider" function where the guest speaker (ABC commentator whose family had a refrigerated trucking business and who I think was an umpire previously) made a joke about Lockett's contract negotiations - it was not far off the mark with Collingwood involved and numerous tables fell absolutely silent with shock.

mcadam05
Club Player

here's a great stat in 1997 Stkilda finished top ladder during the season we used 34 players of those 34 how many do you think Sheldon drafted? it had only been 3 seasons since he left so what do you think at least 20, 15, 10.............................................. try 2! yes thats right 2

Jamie Shanahan and Justin Peckett

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I think when you have the greatest full forward (if not player)of all time,and the greatest mark of all time roaming in the same forward line,much more was expected. It's extraordinary that a powerhouse side wasn't built around that. Throw in few reasonable other players like Harvey Winmar and Burke also....

The cries became fever pitch in the latter parts of 93 when we weren't going to make the 6 such was the ridiculous talent we had. We could of nearly won it in 93....great at the start....terrible in the middle,then it clicked again at the end,but it was all wasted.

Bring back the Lockett era
Winmar
Club Player

I've got One Step Closer signed by lots of players after a match the next season. Should watch it again really.

It was a real waste, not doing anything with that squad. Then when Lockett left didn't exactly get guns in return. Was he asking for a lot of dosh prior to announcing he was leaving? I never quite understood it all.