Ross offered big bucks for Melbourne gig?????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:
hungry for a premiership wrote:I reckon if Ross went to Melbourne, he'd be making exactly the same mistake Terry Wallace made when he left Footscray and went to Richmond. He had achieved success and respect at Bulldogs, yet walked out on them and went for the money and younger, more attractive looking list. In the end, it was an absolute disaster.

Ross and the saints are running and functioning together well, the relationship is working, so IMHO he'd be taking a huge risk if he left and it may backfire on him nastily.

I believe he'll stay.
Whats not to like about a younger list with more years in them to become a power house??

Are the Saints and Ross really functioning that well together????

Don't get me wrong they have been but how much more do they have with the list they have????
Melbourne off field have an uncertain future.

Their list is heavily built on "potential" and their "leaders" IMHO are cr@p.

“Yeah….nah””
markp
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:hhmm.....geez.....in Ross's answer wouldve been great to hear:

"Look Im happy at St Kilda, been there 5 years and dont see a lot changing"....

Thats the answer Al Clarkson gave recently.

Ross's was along the lines of:

"changed management, decided to put it on hold and I dont postulate through the media..."

wouldve loved a tad more .....
Surely he's smarter than that... it's great leverage for him.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
DWOODROW wrote:
hungry for a premiership wrote:I reckon if Ross went to Melbourne, he'd be making exactly the same mistake Terry Wallace made when he left Footscray and went to Richmond. He had achieved success and respect at Bulldogs, yet walked out on them and went for the money and younger, more attractive looking list. In the end, it was an absolute disaster.

Ross and the saints are running and functioning together well, the relationship is working, so IMHO he'd be taking a huge risk if he left and it may backfire on him nastily.

I believe he'll stay.
Whats not to like about a younger list with more years in them to become a power house??

Are the Saints and Ross really functioning that well together????

Don't get me wrong they have been but how much more do they have with the list they have????
Melbourne off field have an uncertain future.

Their list is heavily built on "potential" and their "leaders" IMHO are cr@p.
And that Cameron Schwab fella's still hangin' round :shock:

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Fair comment Bernard. As I said earlier, I'm not bothered about media talk(especially a Saints-hating rag like the hun) at this critical stage of our season. But d'you know what? if the guy decides he WANTS to go, then let him go. Isn't it amazing how these "stories/scoops" whatever seem to materialise from the usual sources at critical times for our club?
Coincidence? :roll:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:If this is the article these rumors are about then there is not one mention of any contract offer in there. Media beat up yet again it looks like

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/w ... 6119956758
May be wishful thinking from the Melbourne-supporting Mike Sheahan.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

OR....."how-can-we-destabilise-the-Saints-in-a-vital-week-of-preparation-for- a-crucial-game-and-please-chairman-eddie" from colondud arse licking mike

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

RL on OWAAT said he is just concentrating on this week only. No mention of next year. It wouldn't be possible for someone in football to not tell the truth. Would it?

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

lets concern ourselves with THIS week. No point in doing anything else.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Looked at me straight in the eyes on Wednesday and said he wants to stay with the Saints.

Said he loves the club.

In Ross we trust.
Lets hope thats right Tony.

Lyon is a great coach. The rest of the comp know it. Like they knew Plugger was a great FF but better suited "elsewhere".....

We FINALLY have some real quality in the coaches box. We need to move heaven/earth to keep it. The President/club need to ensure they aint caught napping here.

Lyon needs a chance to build/rebuild HIS list. Hes earnt it IMHO.

“Yeah….nah””
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

As Yabby said "there are two kinds of coach: those who have been sacked and those who are about to be" It sort of applies to coaches making the decision to leave/stay with a club too.
IF Ross left, and Malthouse was available and wanted to coach the Saints would folks welcome him to our club?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I hate Malthouse more than just about anybody in footy, if he didn't win every game we played under him I'd chuck on myself every time I looked at him. Classless twat of a man.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

I get the feeling they'll all be having a good laugh about this one around the club today... Giving it to Rossy a bit... funny stuff.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

It's interesting though, from Lyon's perspective.

For the club, it doesn't really matter that much. If they're ever going to change coach, it's the ideal time for it to happen.
We need to rebuild anyway, and the coach walking out allows them to avoid the roasting in the papers about being habitual coach sackers!

But for Lyon, in the next year or so with us, he could go from being a 'throw everything you can to get and give him a 5 year deal' prospect, to a 'one trick pony/can't rebuild with youth/etc. etc.' prospect.

If we continue to slide, and there aren't signs of improvement directly from Lyon's own doing over the next 2-3 years, then he'll probably be like hundreds of coaches over the years and be simply unempoyable.

It's certainly a tough call for him.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

thejiggingsaint wrote:OR....."how-can-we-destabilise-the-Saints-in-a-vital-week-of-preparation-for- a-crucial-game-and-please-chairman-eddie" from colondud arse licking mike
A vote for this.

Why would an established and contracted coach want to walk off to a dysfunctional playing list and an executive that insists on interfering with its footy department? It's not about the money.

Ross has spent five years helping build and implement people and systems in this club - and not just on the field. He has the complete confidence of a board that has delivered on its promises, football department resourcing and strong revenue generation.

Melbourne can offer him all the money they like but they can't offer him a better sandpit to play in.

They might be a happy team at Hawthorn but they're a superb team at St. Kilda.

Now there's an article I'd like to read in the sports section.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

He is just a coach. If he goes we get another one and this new one may at least play Tommy Walsh and solve all our problems.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:IF Ross left, and Malthouse was available and wanted to coach the Saints would folks welcome him to our club?
I dont say this lightly, but if that individual ever came to our club as a coach, I would SERIOUSLY consider not continuing my membership.

I would of course still support the Saints, but to lowere your principles and the clubs integrity to such an extent to have that bullying lying piece of excrement in a position of power would be too much to bear.

If Lyon goes, I hope the club sues him and Melbourne for breach of contract. May even be the end of Melbourne considering they are flat broke.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:OR....."how-can-we-destabilise-the-Saints-in-a-vital-week-of-preparation-for- a-crucial-game-and-please-chairman-eddie" from colondud arse licking mike
A vote for this.

Why would an established and contracted coach want to walk off to a dysfunctional playing list and an executive that insists on interfering with its footy department? It's not about the money.

Ross has spent five years helping build and implement people and systems in this club - and not just on the field. He has the complete confidence of a board that has delivered on its promises, football department resourcing and strong revenue generation.

Melbourne can offer him all the money they like but they can't offer him a better sandpit to play in.

They might be a happy team at Hawthorn but they're a superb team at St. Kilda.

Now there's an article I'd like to read in the sports section.
Although the speculation, seems to be just that.....

Speculation mounted at the weekend that Lyon was a Melbourne target despite having a year to run on his contract with St Kilda. But Elite Sports Properties' Craig Kelly was adamant no talks had occurred.

"No, I swear to God," Kelly said last night.

I don't really agree with your post. Coaching is a job. And it can be over very, very quickly.
You asked the question "Why would an established and contracted coach want to walk off to a dysfunctional playing list and an executive that insists on interfering with its footy department?", and then answered it yourself.

A 5 year deal with very good money, must surely be tempting for career coaches.
Because as I said, in 12 months time, there's certainly no guarantee Lyon will be seen as the hot prospect he clearly is now.

In 2-3 years time, he may even find himself unemployable!

That's the nature of coaching. So anyone would surely think long and hard about it.
It's not as if he's building towards something at the Saints now. It's pretty much back to the drawing board, for a very long and drawn out rebuilding process. Unfinished business probably wouldn't be a motivator at the Saints either, given that most of the list won't be around the next time we're back up at the top.

And as for this bit....

"They might be a happy team at Hawthorn but they're a superb team at St. Kilda."

I'm not sure what St. Kilda team you've been watching this year!
Last edited by Johnny Member on Tue 23 Aug 2011 9:15am, edited 1 time in total.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

WHO linked him to a Melbourne offer?

The Age says it was some bloke called 'overtures'. The Hun says it was someone called 'Mounting Speculation."

That story is concocted out of three DENIALS of any knowledge (Lyon, Nettlefold, Kelly at Elite)

Who started the rumour?

My lord these journalists get away with murder...

We're Credible: Robinson and Pierik

Two leading footy journalists refused to admit they were light on for a decent scoop this week when they were outed by a GENERAL PUNDITS for concocting tosh.

"I don't know what you're talking about," a shocked Mark Robinson said...

Etc etc...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

BUT.......if that person could win a flag for us would we consider him? (I want to stress that I pose this question strictly as a hypothetical)

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:WHO linked him to a Melbourne offer?

The Age says it was some bloke called 'overtures'. The Hun says it was someone called 'Mounting Speculation."

That story is concocted out of three DENIALS of any knowledge (Lyon, Nettlefold, Kelly at Elite)

Who started the rumour?

Two leading footy journalists refused to admit they were light on for a decent scoop this week when they were outed by a GENERAL PUNDITS for concocting tosh.

Etc etc...
The media may have taken umberidge to Lyon's presser on Sunday and might be stirring him up a bit.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
Thinline wrote:WHO linked him to a Melbourne offer?

Who started the rumour?

Etc etc...
The media may have taken umberidge to Lyon's presser on Sunday and might be stirring him up a bit.
Possibly. But seriously, are they 12 year old girls?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Johnny Member wrote:You asked the question "Why would an established and contracted coach want to walk off to a dysfunctional playing list and an executive that insists on interfering with its footy department?", and then answered it yourself.
Yes, I did - in the negative.

Coaching is such a high-pressure job that money is hardly the most important factor. Having support from the establishment and the opportunity to create positive change are going to be two of the strongest factors in ensuring you win games, which is the only real currency a coach trades in.
And as for this bit....

"They might be a happy team at Hawthorn but they're a superb team at St. Kilda."

I'm not sure what St. Kilda team you've been watching this year!
I thought it fairly clear it wasn't the on-field team I was referring to. :wink:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

lol
the misses is watching sunrise and up across the bottom comes
"afl: ross lyon wont rule out shift to the demons"

unreal