Ross offered big bucks for Melbourne gig?????

Now that stubborn bald pr!ck is running with it. :twisted:

yeah, they are all lining up to coach that rabble of a club...what a friggin joke.

SainterK wrote:I though the dialogue was with Saints, hasn't that been mentioned before, that they had approached him about an extention...so he said sort out your 5 year plan first?
Didn't he say he wanted a five year plan signed off? I assume Pelchan would be writing that up but surely the senior coach would have a lot of input into any long term plans? Who else at the club could make predicitions about the possible tactical changes to the game which should have a big impact on the recruiting model.

Thinking about it, RLs relationship with Pelchan may be the biggest factor in any decision he makes. Melbourne would prbably be in a situation where a coach with a good record would have more of a free hand.

How many coaches in the history of the game have 'climbed the mountain' (or come as close as possible) with a club, then rebuilt and climbed it again?

Malthouse is one.
I can't think of another.

It's pretty rare.

Johnny Member wrote:How many coaches in the history of the game have 'climbed the mountain' (or come as close as possible) with a club, then rebuilt and climbed it again?

Malthouse is one.

It's pretty rare.
Worsfold, Clarkson (well...), in the last couple of years alone.
Last edited by markp on Tue 23 Aug 2011 10:47am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny Member wrote:How many coaches in the history of the game have 'climbed the mountain' (or come as close as possible) with a club, then rebuilt and climbed it again?

Malthouse is one.

It's pretty rare.
Worsfold, Clarkson, in the last couple of years alone.
Clarkson hasn't rebuilt. And they only missed the finals once.

Worsfold is on his way, but still has a very, very long way to go before being able to claim having climbed the mountain again.

Johnny Member wrote:

Malthouse is one.

It's pretty rare.
Haha, snap... hence the edit!

I'm hopeful and optimistic we can challenge next year.

Johnny Member wrote:

Malthouse is one.

It's pretty rare.

I mean, maybe it can happen more in this day and age. Maybe turning it around isn't as hard as it used to be, and maybe it can happen quicker.

With us, the worry is that our 'core' or our 'guns' are getting on.

But maybe you're right, perhaps we're not done with yet in the short term anyway.

We need to go shopping this off-season I reckon. We need to get a high draft pick somehow, or a good midfielder from somewhere.....somehow.

Johnny Member wrote:

Malthouse is one.

It's pretty rare.

I mean, maybe it can happen more in this day and age. Maybe turning it around isn't as hard as it used to be, and maybe it can happen quicker.

With us, the worry is that our 'core' or our 'guns' are getting on.

But maybe you're right, perhaps we're not done with yet in the short term anyway.

We need to go shopping this off-season I reckon. We need to get a high draft pick somehow, or a good midfielder from somewhere.....somehow.
Yup, and I think as mentioned RL wants carte blanche in that regard before he'd sign a new contract.... and probably a bit more coin... hence the straight bat response to speculation, IMO.

Malthouse is one.

It's pretty rare.
Only those that were given the chance.

Sheedy?

Same coach cant rebuild and go again unless he is given the chance. Not too many coaches are given that these days. Need to be at a club long term to do it.

mullet wrote: Same coach cant rebuild and go again unless he is given the chance. Not too many coaches are given that these days. Need to be at a club long term to do it.
Very true.

Let's see what happens at season's end.. I've been around long enough to know that contracts and commitments are not worth the paper most of them are written on- especially in pro sport. RL may be tempted by a fresh young list, and after all, we have one of the oldest lists in the comp, and at the age mix where we should have won a flag with the talent we had, and in the end it all came to nothing after his five years with us.

SinCitySaint

If they offer him a shed load more cash than we do, then who could blame him if he goes. It is the same for all of us our number 1 priority is to ourselves and our families with the employer coming after that. If a different employer improves things significantly for ourselves and our families then we move. Simple as that and no blame attached.

SinCitySaint wrote:If they offer him a shed load more cash than we do, then who could blame him if he goes. It is the same for all of us our number 1 priority is to ourselves and our families with the employer coming after that. If a different employer improves things significantly for ourselves and our families then we move. Simple as that and no blame attached.
I'm sure Melbourne is an attarctive option for him given the flogs with the big egos on the board and with Cameron Shwab who got sacked still there. Great career move. :roll:

I raised this a month ago.
He will be VERY VERY tempted to go. I dont think he can get out of his contract with us. But Melb have a decent list. And Lyon is based in inner north. Melbourne would really suit him.

Con Gorozidis wrote:I raised this a month ago.
He will be VERY VERY tempted to go. I dont think he can get out of his contract with us. But Melb have a decent list. And Lyon is based in inner north. Melbourne would really suit him.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'm sure he could get out of his contract with us, be amazed if there wasn't some out clause.....maybe another team would have to pay us some money perhaps??

I'd like Lyon to stay, not sure if he can rebuild from scratch, but worth a try.

Just provided he ultra-defensive mindset can be altered slightly, so we score a bit more heavily and play more attractive footy. That is easier to do with a rebuild than taking on established stars and filling the cracks with rejects IMO.

So he says that it's the first he has heard of it and all of a sudden he is off to melbourne for 5 years.... god its a slow news day

Solar wrote:So he says that it's the first he has heard of it and all of a sudden he is off to melbourne for 5 years.... god its a slow news day
and that they seem to be a great fit. Go figure. :roll:

AM I the only one that thinks that this would be close to the dumbest thing the Melbourne administration could... and it highlights what a crappy admin they are???

Now don't get me wrong... I like RL and want him to stay and I totally could see why Melbourne would want him but...

5 year contract at a ridiculous price???
Not every coach can coach every club... what if after three years they decide he's not a good fit for them.
Do they even have an idea of his direction for the club... (obviously not)

Also, could Melbourne survive playing unattractive football? The club is on it's knees... about the only thing they have going for them is a young, promising, youth brigade

I really don't think its a good fit for them

skeptic wrote:AM I the only one that thinks that this would be close to the dumbest thing the Melbourne administration could... and it highlights what a crappy admin they are???

Now don't get me wrong... I like RL and want him to stay and I totally could see why Melbourne would want him but...

5 year contract at a ridiculous price???
And haven't they just begged their way out of survival threatening debt? :shock: :roll:

I'm sure he could get out of his contract with us, be amazed if there wasn't some out clause.....maybe another team would have to pay us some money perhaps??

I'd like Lyon to stay, not sure if he can rebuild from scratch, but worth a try.

Just provided he ultra-defensive mindset can be altered slightly, so we score a bit more heavily and play more attractive footy. That is easier to do with a rebuild than taking on established stars and filling the cracks with rejects IMO.
There is never an out clause for senior coaches to leave and coach another club

only out clause is for assistants.

There is never an out clause for senior coaches to leave and coach another club (just ask mick malthouse).

only standard out clause is for assistants.

Something to say or contribute Saint Pav? or Just think bagging me constitutes an argument?

"He will be "VERY VERY tempted to go" would he Gora?

They all looked like one happy family at training this morning. Only saw the start but lots of love.