Ross offered big bucks for Melbourne gig?????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Finna wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:It's interesting though, from Lyon's perspective.

For the club, it doesn't really matter that much. If they're ever going to change coach, it's the ideal time for it to happen.
We need to rebuild anyway, and the coach walking out allows them to avoid the roasting in the papers about being habitual coach sackers!

But for Lyon, in the next year or so with us, he could go from being a 'throw everything you can to get and give him a 5 year deal' prospect, to a 'one trick pony/can't rebuild with youth/etc. etc.' prospect.

If we continue to slide, and there aren't signs of improvement directly from Lyon's own doing over the next 2-3 years, then he'll probably be like hundreds of coaches over the years and be simply unempoyable.

It's certainly a tough call for him.
Disagree with your reasoning. If Lyon believes in his own abilities (which I think he does) then he would not be worrying about failing in the next 2 years. He would be excited by the challenge.

I may be wrong but Lyon doesn't strike me s the type of person who would be afraid of failing - which is essentially what you are suggesting.

If he were to make a move for fear of not being able to improve our team then that would be the greatest failure of all for it would be a lack of courage and conviction in his abilities.
He will NOT be going anywhere......

He knows that there is work to be done and I don't believe hat he would be afraid to do the hard work.

He will relish in the opportunity and how sweet it will be when he delivers that flag.

As far as the $$$$ goes - I don't see why we would have any problem matching an offer from Melbourne......
I agree and cant believe this viewe hasnt been reported.

Ross Lyon can coach.
Did Ross Lyon inherit a good list? Yes.
Has Ross Lyon developed any young players of note? - Id argue McEvoy is probably his best bet in 5 yrs....

IMHO Ross Lyon now has a chance to do what great coaches do - build THEIR list from ground up. St Kilda will give him that chance. To cut and run now IMHO would tell me a lot.

Great coaches can do it all - build an effective game plan, get their sides up consistently and DEVELOP and Grow in the process.

Time for some cohunas Ross.

What struck me as odd in that interview was at no time at any stage did Lyon even indicate hes happy at St Kilda????...aka Clarkson a week before about the Hawks........all that from a man who doesnt "posture" in the media.........seemed very much posturing to me.

Have the club said anything today?

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I heard back in April that the board wanted to lock him away and that they were concerned about someone offering him a big contract.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
DWOODROW
Club Player

Not sure Ross is the person to rebuild the saints but if he doesn't then who is going to take his spot.

It could be a long few years ahead if it means a rebuild from top to bottom.

What about Nathan Burke. Is he on the coaching Panel??

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Finna wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:It's interesting though, from Lyon's perspective.

For the club, it doesn't really matter that much. If they're ever going to change coach, it's the ideal time for it to happen.
We need to rebuild anyway, and the coach walking out allows them to avoid the roasting in the papers about being habitual coach sackers!

But for Lyon, in the next year or so with us, he could go from being a 'throw everything you can to get and give him a 5 year deal' prospect, to a 'one trick pony/can't rebuild with youth/etc. etc.' prospect.

If we continue to slide, and there aren't signs of improvement directly from Lyon's own doing over the next 2-3 years, then he'll probably be like hundreds of coaches over the years and be simply unempoyable.

It's certainly a tough call for him.
Disagree with your reasoning. If Lyon believes in his own abilities (which I think he does) then he would not be worrying about failing in the next 2 years. He would be excited by the challenge.

I may be wrong but Lyon doesn't strike me s the type of person who would be afraid of failing - which is essentially what you are suggesting.

If he were to make a move for fear of not being able to improve our team then that would be the greatest failure of all for it would be a lack of courage and conviction in his abilities.
He will NOT be going anywhere......

He knows that there is work to be done and I don't believe hat he would be afraid to do the hard work.

He will relish in the opportunity and how sweet it will be when he delivers that flag.

As far as the $$$$ goes - I don't see why we would have any problem matching an offer from Melbourne......
I agree and cant believe this viewe hasnt been reported.

Ross Lyon can coach.
Did Ross Lyon inherit a good list? Yes.
Has Ross Lyon developed any young players of note? - Id argue McEvoy is probably his best bet in 5 yrs....

IMHO Ross Lyon now has a chance to do what great coaches do - build THEIR list from ground up. St Kilda will give him that chance. To cut and run now IMHO would tell me a lot.

Great coaches can do it all - build an effective game plan, get their sides up consistently and DEVELOP and Grow in the process.

Time for some cohunas Ross.

What struck me as odd in that interview was at no time at any stage did Lyon even indicate hes happy at St Kilda????...aka Clarkson a week before about the Hawks........all that from a man who doesnt "posture" in the media.........seemed very much posturing to me.

Have the club said anything today?
I can't provide historical links, but I seem to recall several times Lyon either saying or implying he's very happy at St Kilda and that he has a terrific respect for the place and its people and players. I've witnessed him at a function say pretty much exactly that, and Lyon, for what it's worth, has never struck me as a bloke he speaks anything but straight stuff.

Further, he's been instrumental is turning the place into what it now is.

I'm with Finna on this.

I doubt Rossy's the mercenary kind. I reckon he'll see a challenge and look to rise to it.

But then I reckon we have another year in the tank before real talk of rebuild starts anyway.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
spert
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:Not sure Ross is the person to rebuild the saints but if he doesn't then who is going to take his spot.

It could be a long few years ahead if it means a rebuild from top to bottom.

What about Nathan Burke. Is he on the coaching Panel??
No doubt RL is a quality coach, but I think the ball is in his court..the list is getting older and has done as much as it can do, many players strengths and weaknesses have been exposed over three GFs. The rebuilding phase needs to start and there will be quite a bit of delisting and trading at the end of the season- OK it would be great to play finals, but don't expect miracles. If Ross is tempted to leave us, it will be a mighty challenge for the board to get a coach with the right creds to rebuild- probably needs to be a younger coach..I personally think Aussie Jones could be a coach in waiting , but let's get this season done first.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

The way Melbourne are going about their recruiting process, it must be putting a fair few noses out of joint around town. I would honestly be AMAZED if Ross left.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Coaches are easily replaceable/interchangeable and as far as coaches go I reckon a change is as good as a holiday.

.. but a good recruiter is not replaceable .. that's someone you'd keep..

I'm for career recruiters (the best that money can poach/ buy) and I'm okay with revolving coaches... especially of the mercenary variety.

A good recruiter is worth 10 coaches.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:Coaches are easily replaceable/interchangeable and as far as coaches go I reckon a change is as good as a holiday.

I'm for career recruiters (the best that money can poach/ buy) and I'm okay with revolving coaches... especially of the mercenary variety.

Is Ross a good recruiter?

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
samoht
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
samoht wrote:Coaches are easily replaceable/interchangeable and as far as coaches go I reckon a change is as good as a holiday.

Is Ross a good recruiter?
What I'm saying is the club should have a figure in mind for a coach's salary and to stick to it. If another club poaches our coach - so be it.
We should concentrate on securing/poaching the best available recruiter/s
instead of making coaches (who are a dime a dozen) rich.

Have we secured the best recruiting team ?.. if not that's where our focus should be and our extra dollars should be channeled towards that end(IMO).

matrix
Saintsational Legend

not
going
anywhere

100%

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

It depends on the timing of it all.

Really, losing or changing coaches right now, for us, is as good as a time as it could be.

The other positive, is that it's unlikely we'd sack another coach. Which is ironically frowned upon, by the same people who are urging him to bail out on a job he started. So we wouldn't be the bad guys if he does leave.

The catch is of course, there's no guarantee that the next bloke will be any good.

Personally, I'm not fussed either way.

There's no proof that Lyon can rebuild a list from the ground up. He's proven plenty of things during his time, but developing and fast tracking young talent isn't one of them.

Add in the '4 year apprenticeship' thing, and I'd imagine it would be a very long, drawn out rebuilding process under him aswell.

So if he stays, great. He has the chance to be a great coach. It also shows that the club can hold on to good people, in spite of what the footy world wants to happen.

If he doesn't, then so be it. We get someone new and fresh, and start again.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Good post Johnny M

Bottom line we need a committed coach - not a fat, rich one.
I hope he gets offered more money by Melbourne etc.... to test his commitment level.
and RL has his flaws as you pointed out.

The best coach is always the next coach... (unlike the best recruiters - who are in short supply and are much more important to a team's success in comparative terms).

saint tash
Club Player

the grapevine says The Dees offer to Lyon is said to be "too good to refuse"
Lyon absolutely hates being at / getting to Seaford, and its a big consideration for him

Got this off a filth forum. Any substance??

Oh when the saints go charging in!
taz
Club Player

"grapevine" + "filth forum" = ?

SaintSimmo
Club Player

Sainter for life.
StGoddard18
Club Player

Why would he go and hire Pelchen if he didn't want to be part of the clubs future.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

May
But

http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne/spo ... -eap0.html
Lyon's manager, Craig Kelly, told the Herald Sun he had not had talks with Melbourne about its coaching position, and that talks with the Saints about Lyon's future had been deferred.

Saints chief executive Michael Nettlefold told the tabloid Lyon remained in the club's long-term plans, but both were focused on the Saint's remaining 2011 games.

One thing's for sure, we won't know anything substantive about Lyon's plans until the Saints' 2011 campaign is over. Most likely, he will then commit to oversee a rebuild of the Saints' ageing list.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
gringo
Saintsational Legend

My feeling is Ross has built up a network of coaching support personal including Misson etc. and the saints as far as I know haven't denied him anything with in their means. Going to Melbourne will give him an opportunity with someone elses list (negating a new challenge for him) and may also end up being an inferior one. The recruiting for North was interesting, heaps of their best weren't the top picks. Melbourne has a great group of high picks but are they any good? Apart from Watts who looks like huge potential the rest of their high picks look just ok. Add to that the massive instability and inability to even keep their heads above water financially would mean he must have some doubts on their ability to supply him with the support he needs.

DWOODROW
Club Player

StGoddard18 wrote:Why would he go and hire Pelchen if he didn't want to be part of the clubs future.
Who said he hired Pelchen

StGoddard18
Club Player

DWOODROW wrote:
StGoddard18 wrote:Why would he go and hire Pelchen if he didn't want to be part of the clubs future.
Who said he hired Pelchen

Well it was reported that he was seen having a coffee with him, so that to me suggests he had some part in it.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

saint tash wrote:
the grapevine says The Dees offer to Lyon is said to be "too good to refuse"
Lyon absolutely hates being at / getting to Seaford, and its a big consideration for him

Got this off a filth forum. Any substance??
Gee, weird that you would be on a Pies forum.

Let's get one thing straight, can you please stop using the term 'us', unless you are talking about the Pies. It's ok for you to post here, just give up the pathetic charade that you are a StKilda person…

SaintWal
Club Player

From the perspective of Ross Lyon -

The Saints are not in his wildest dreams going to give him a five year deal. Three at best.

Melbourne's deal is $300,000 per year on top of present deal. Purportedly

Make no mistake Ross is like a good player, often, they are valued for right or for wrong, worth more at a new club than the current club.

If he accepts the offer the problem to me is the message it sends the playing group. Like Luke Ball, take the money and run.

If he stays it sends a resounding resolve through the club.

He was not a quitter as a player, he won't be as a coach, IMO.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

i want him to see out his contract.
if we see big improvement next year offer him a long extension.
if we don't a club like richmond will come calling.
so a year extra won't hurt his chances.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Just read dcstkfc signature. He is part of the solution.

In Ross we trust

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

I just hate it that no matter what happens, the media will portray it in a bad light for the club. If he goes, it'll be, "Squeaky clean Ross Lyon walks out on St.Kilda rabble."

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."