Last time when we met the Blues

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mohannair
Club Player

Last time when we met the Blues

Was looking into the details of the last time we played the Blues, thought of sharing it.

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/16931/defau ... &tab=Recap

Lets hope we tur around the result this time.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

This is the game that Chris Judd didn't bit armo… good bloke, eye gouge, biting, top bloke.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Last time we played, we should never have been in the position to win the game, but we were, and blew it.

Ross is the best strategic coach by a fair way. Whilst his match ups sometimes surprise me, they invariably turn out to be right. They will need to be next Saturday.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

The Blues have zero to play for, we have plenty. This game is ours for the taking however we'll still have to be near our best to beat an unmotivated Blues team.

The Blues are a high scoring outfit, and have a quick forward line. I think we will need to kick 15 goals to win. We will need to focus on those aspects.

I reckon we bring in another forward for a back (Walsh for Blake) and have Geary starting the game playing on Betts or Garlet. Bring in another small for Armo - Cripps (if fit enough), Smith or Heyne...? Someone along those lines. I reckon Bakes is a bit slow ....

So two changes with Armo and Blake out and Walsh and one of the mentioned smalls in.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:The Blues have zero to play for, we have plenty. This game is ours for the taking however we'll still have to be near our best to beat an unmotivated Blues team.

The Blues are a high scoring outfit, and have a quick forward line. I think we will need to kick 15 goals to win. We will need to focus on those aspects.

I reckon we bring in another forward for a back (Walsh for Blake) and have Geary starting the game playing on Betts or Garlet. Bring in another small for Armo - Cripps (if fit enough), Smith or Heyne...? Someone along those lines. I reckon Bakes is a bit slow ....

So two changes with Armo and Blake out and Walsh and one of the mentioned smalls in.
Totally agree. Was involved with my local club last week who were trying to avoid relegation and we were completely out of form playing the top side and we won. They had nothing to play for as the Blues dont. We certainly can win and get a home final. Geelong are a good example of this last week however the pies are a poor example.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Agree that we won't be taking the game laying down, but Carlton are not a GF contender. We have the tools on the park already to beat them, we just need to perform. They'll need to be motoring to beat us too. Whether we win or not, I'd be very shocked if Carlton make it past a prelim.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:The Blues have zero to play for, we have plenty. This game is ours for the taking however we'll still have to be near our best to beat an unmotivated Blues team.

Totally agree. Was involved with my local club last week who were trying to avoid relegation and we were completely out of form playing the top side and we won. They had nothing to play for as the Blues dont. We certainly can win and get a home final. Geelong are a good example of this last week however the pies are a poor example.
Well I'm gobsmacked

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well I'm gobsmacked
He just wants to look popular at lunch time, don't pay any attention to him.

Rosco
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well I'm gobsmacked
i'd be happy with that approach.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

I will be going to the ground on Saturday night expecting a St.Kilda win. It really is the perfect way for the club to make a statement on the eve of the finals.

Bring it on...

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Carlton had a bye and lost the previous week. Given this, they may want a win to hone in their skills/form.

I reckon they'll be at about 90%, clearly with an eye on next week.

Gives us a good chance.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

i don't care if carlton are at 50, 90, or 110%.
we play at 100% - we win.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

If we get the jump on them or if we are level with them at 3 quarter time, they may take the foot off the pedal.

Sydney will need to overcome a big let down after their big emotional win so Brissie may do the job for us but I wouldn't count on it but you never know.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Superboot
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote:
Sydney will need to overcome a big let down after their big emotional win so Brissie may do the job for us but I wouldn't count on it but you never know.
Brisbane can't fall any further or rise any higher so there's no incentive for them to tank.

Hopefully they'll be playing for a bit of pride and to finish the season on a high note.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Superboot wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Brisbane can't fall any further or rise any higher so there's no incentive for them to tank.

Hopefully they'll be playing for a bit of pride and to finish the season on a high note.
A priority pick is about the biggest incentive there could be… which they will receive unless they win this week.

Superboot
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:
Superboot wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

A priority pick is about the biggest incentive there could be… which they will receive unless they win this week.
Good point, and bad news.

I withdraw my comment! :)

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Superboot wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

it will reveal a bit about voss this game.
so far i've admired the job he's done with them this year - always give an honest effort.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
dragit
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
dragit wrote:
Superboot wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

it will reveal a bit about voss this game.
so far i've admired the job he's done with them this year - always give an honest effort.
Shouldn't be too hard for the Lions to lose this one, Sydney are playing for a home final after all.
If Voss was no-name I'd say he would have been sacked already, the favourite sons get a much longer grace period than the rest. The bombers will finish right where they were 2 years ago, yet Knights couldn't coach and Tird is a genius.

Austinnn
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:i don't care if carlton are at 50, 90, or 110%.
we play at 100% - we win.
I think a lot of people have forgotten how good our best is. Better than Carlton, West Coast, Hawthorn, maybe even Geelong IMHO.

But the team has to prove it, doesn't it?

Stay tuned for step one on Saturday.

We
Will
Win

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

If we bring the same style of game as we did against North Melbourne, we will spank their backsides black and blue (pardon pun).

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Exactly. Look back at our performances late in 2009 and 2010 and there is even more evidence of lack of incentive lowering team performance.

I expect to see us at Etihad in Week 1.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs