1987 a Golden year :)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mcadam05
Club Player

1987 a Golden year :)

lots of Lockett goodness, alittle Nicky, abit of joffa(wearing 60 for some reason) and Big Wow in the ruck who can ask for more ;)

St Kilda vs WCE rd 8 '1987

mcadam05
Club Player

and the Doc and some great Mascot action in the after match interview :lol:

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Could this perhaps be kept to the saints videos thread?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

3.11...Is that Lady Di in the crowd?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

1987 was the first season which I really enjoyed and genuinely felt optimistic for the club in the future.

Watching the big man alone was an absolute joy.

I remember thinking I was in dream world when we were a chance to finish in the top 5. Then we fell back down to earth with a thud after getting eaten alive by the bottom team of that year, Richmond :( :oops:

However, games like the demolition of the Eagles at Moorabbin will definitely outshine the gloom of being eliminated from the finals race.

Cheers, Macca 8-)

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:3.11...Is that Lady Di in the crowd?
Shane Warne was a reserves player that year. Rumour has it the Princess was his first "big catch" :wink:

Good bowling, Warney! :lol:

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:1987 was the first season which I really enjoyed and genuinely felt optimistic for the club in the future.

I remember thinking I was in dream world when we were a chance to finish in the top 5. Then we fell back down to earth with a thud after getting eaten alive by the bottom team of that year, Richmond :( :oops:

However, games like the demolition of the Eagles at Moorabbin will definitely outshine the gloom of being eliminated from the finals race.

Cheers, Macca 8-)
'87 was a very tight year...

I think we were 11th but only maybe two wins off 5th...Have I got that right?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Sainternist wrote:1987 was the first season which I really enjoyed and genuinely felt optimistic for the club in the future.

Cheers, Macca 8-)
'87 was a very tight year...

I think we were 11th but only maybe two wins off 5th...Have I got that right?
That was back in the days when we dreamed of making the finals.

No one thought of tanking then, just because we didn't think we could actually win the flag :roll:

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Didn't we win a hole bunch of games towards te end of the year, with Pluggar ripping the arse out of teams. I remember we played a game late against the filth at morrabbin and after trailing by scoot at 3 quater time we came back to smash them.
I thought we were on the way and that we would walk into the finals the next year. How wrong I was

I love this club
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Re: 1987 a Golden year :)

mcadam05 wrote:lots of Lockett goodness, alittle Nicky, abit of joffa(wearing 60 for some reason) and Big Wow in the ruck who can ask for more ;)

Thanks for posting all of these videos on youtube, I'm loving it. I was wondering if you had by any chance the 1997 Preliminary final between St.Kilda v North Melbourne... One of my favourite nights at the MCG that one.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:
mcadam05 wrote:lots of Lockett goodness, alittle Nicky, abit of joffa(wearing 60 for some reason) and Big Wow in the ruck who can ask for more ;)

Thanks for posting all of these videos on youtube, I'm loving it. I was wondering if you had by any chance the 1997 Preliminary final between St.Kilda v North Melbourne... One of my favourite nights at the MCG that one.
atleast parts of that game are already up somewhere.... the Crunch in particular

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
mcadam05
Club Player

prwilkinson wrote:

Check out the video sticky the link for that game is there :)

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:Didn't we win a hole bunch of games towards te end of the year, with Pluggar ripping the arse out of teams. I remember we played a game late against the filth at morrabbin and after trailing by scoot at 3 quater time we came back to smash them.
I thought we were on the way and that we would walk into the finals the next year. How wrong I was
Yes it was. Plugger broke the point post!!! Mcadam, have you got that game and the one against the Roos?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:Didn't we win a hole bunch of games towards te end of the year, with Pluggar ripping the arse out of teams. I remember we played a game late against the filth at morrabbin and after trailing by scoot at 3 quater time we came back to smash them.
Yes it was. Plugger broke the point post!!! Mcadam, have you got that game and the one against the Roos?
I was behind the goals that day. I also remember Brian Taylor was put to full back, and pluggar destroyed him, daicos ran into him an went arse over, so funny to watch,

I love this club
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
I was behind the goals that day. I also remember Brian Taylor was put to full back, and pluggar destroyed him, daicos ran into him an went arse over, so funny to watch,
I was at that game too. Do you remember the goal Plugger kicked from CHF when he turned around and roosted it through off one step? At the time, i thought it was amazing...

mcadam05
Club Player

sadly i have very little stuff from 87

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
I was at that game too. Do you remember the goal Plugger kicked from CHF when he turned around and roosted it through off one step? At the time, i thought it was amazing...
If I recall correctly, It was Joffa's 200th game

Rosco
Club Player

this would be that game: http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/game ... 70822.html

plugger - not yet 22 and 347 goals to his name at the time 8-)

stevie
Saintsational Legend

1987 was an interesting year for me.

I was living in Cairns, playing footy in my prime.

The Saints, led by Plugger, started becoming pretty good.

In July however, my best mate died, killed in a drunken fight at our flat ( I wasn't home at the time).

Plugger kicked the ton and won the Bronwlow, then Manly won the NRL flag.

Curiously, 10 years later, 1997 was am immense year for me:

Went overseas for 5 and a half months, on the best 'holiday' ever, and the Saints dominated, made the GF.

And again, 10 years later, in 2007, my son Cooper was born!

Hopefully 2017 will be a huge year!!!

here i am

I am lucy enough to have the boot plugger kicked his 100th goal with v Footscray that year bronxed and mounted at home