Team - Saints v Carlton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:
True Blue Sainter wrote:This does nothing for the balance of the side.

Another tall?

Kosi, Mac & Gardiner?!

Walsh would have been the best option, closely followed by Baker or someone like Heyne to get a run.
It's actually incredibly sensible.

If we get a big man injury in the finals, you'd want to know we have another option who is right to go.

Lots of teams have played backup players to give them some touch, you just have to be prepared.
If we lose this though, there may only be one more week and baring injury he couldnt play in that game. Team lacks balance.
I agree with P66.

We NEED to win this game to guarantee a home final. To do that we need players with a big tank who can run games out. An athletic tall (like Walsh) would have given us another option up forward would have been a useful inclusion. A small defender (Bakes) could have taken Betts. Another runner like Heyne would have helped to deal with their pace in the middle of the ground.

Baffling selection. We have far too many tall, lumbering players in this lineup - Gardiner, Dawson, Kosi, McEvoy and Blake = nearly a quarter of the team.

The Saints are coming!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

What was wrong with the forward line TBS?

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Worried alot about Carlton now, will run rings around us.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:MG is a very good player when available and will be used as a forward with a pinch hit ruck role IMO. Ben might get the chop out across half back role. If we are going to make a dent on the finals MG is a very handy in, Walsh may be anything but he is not just a novice in the AFL he is a novice at the game it's self. I think he might not be in until next year now guys. Sorry.
Can you tell me the last time MG did anything up forward and what does Ben do helping at HB. He is a ruckman whjo can play 20 minutes forward. MG is a ruckman who cant play forward. I hope Ben is out to be honest otherwise we are far to big especially given the forcast of wind.
How did he go round 14 2009 up forward?
How did Ben go round 22 in Sydney?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:What was wrong with the forward line TBS?
Its going to have to have Kosi, Ben or MG and Rooy for large periods of the game. How slow is that and will they lay a tackle between all 3 of them.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

St Kilda

B: Sam Gilbert, Zac Dawson, Raphael Clarke

HB: Brendon Goddard, Sam Fisher, Dean Polo

C: Sean Dempster, Nick Dal Santo, Jason Gram

HF: Brett Peake, Nick Riewoldt, Adam Schneider

F: Stephen Milne, Justin Koschitzke, Jack Steven

Foll: Ben McEvoy, Clinton Jones, Leigh Montagna

I/C: Jason Blake, Michael S. Gardiner, Jarryn Geary, Farren Ray

Emg: Steven Baker, Alistair Smith, Ryan Gamble

In: Michael S. Gardiner

Out: David Armitage (Suspension)

WALSH NOT EVEN EMERGENCY!!!

Sainter for life.
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:MG is a very good player when available and will be used as a forward with a pinch hit ruck role IMO. Ben might get the chop out across half back role. If we are going to make a dent on the finals MG is a very handy in, Walsh may be anything but he is not just a novice in the AFL he is a novice at the game it's self. I think he might not be in until next year now guys. Sorry.
Can you tell me the last time MG did anything up forward and what does Ben do helping at HB. He is a ruckman whjo can play 20 minutes forward. MG is a ruckman who cant play forward. I hope Ben is out to be honest otherwise we are far to big especially given the forcast of wind.
2009 is a long time ago, we were a different team and Gards was a different player. Thats like saying Blake is a star up forward because he kicked 3 against Hawthorn in 08

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
In round 14 he kicked 2 of his 3 goals whilst rucking not as a resting forward. He cant lead and contested marks are finished for guys who cant jump. Ben went terrible in round 22. How did Joey go? I dont get your point.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Its going to have to have Kosi, Ben or MG and Rooy for large periods of the game. How slow is that and will they lay a tackle between all 3 of them.
there will be last min changes. don't worry about it. RL will do the right thing.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Is it?

We'll see I guess.

Schillaci
Club Player

Wrapped for Gards and think it is a good decision going into the finals. Think McEvoy should have been rested as part of the decision but no matter this weekend's game is not do or die

maverick
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
2009 is a long time ago, we were a different team and Gards was a different player. Thats like saying Blake is a star up forward because he kicked 3 against Hawthorn in 08
He asked for the last time.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

For weeks people have been saying that Ben needs help in the ruck, we need a second ruck, Blake/Kosi cant ruck ect. Gardi comes in to provide the second ruck option and people are saying we are too tall?

Cant have it both ways

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
SaintSimmo
Club Player

Could Al Smith be a late in for Blake to balance the team?

Sainter for life.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
In round 14 he kicked 2 of his 3 goals whilst rucking not as a resting forward. He cant lead and contested marks are finished for guys who cant jump. Ben went terrible in round 22. How did Joey go? I dont get your point.
I don't think Ben is ready for the monsters yet and at the end of games it shows. Both Sydney and the Pies have them. Sat night will show if MG has anything left to give.

Ben should be the sub IMO.

The sub thing is BS, we have neither doiminated or been chopped up with them.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
He asked for the last time.
Yeah and im saying the last time was a long time ago and Gards and the team were alot different.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Walsh not even in Emergency, was he injured in the reserves?

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
I don't think Ben is ready for the monsters yet and at the end of games it shows. Both Sydney and the Pies have them. Sat night will show if MG has anything left to give.

Ben should be the sub IMO.
The sub thing is BS, we have neither doiminated or been chopped up with them.
That is what I would like to see.

Give Gardi and Ben half a game each.

Gives Ben a bit of a rest and allows us to see if Gardi can still go and be a factor. If he cant we always have JB and Kosi who can at least provide a contest

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Hurricane wrote:For weeks people have been saying that Ben needs help in the ruck, we need a second ruck, Blake/Kosi cant ruck ect. Gardi comes in to provide the second ruck option and people are saying we are too tall?

Cant have it both ways

BANG BANG
Shouldn't have Blake in the team then. Too much tall timber. I hope Armo gets a gig in the finals. I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't selected going on Ross Lyon's form.

To the top
SS Life Member

So who are the potential ruckmen on our list?

McEvoy, Gardiner - and the injured Stanley but only because of his height.

And I would not mind having a lazy flutter that we see Stanley at CHB in 2012.

Gardiner has played 180 games during his career, so he has been lightly used and that means he may very well have another year in him - including because what are our ruck options?

And don't tell me Walsh!

Trust me, Gardi is up and about.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Another point. Kosi has reinvented himself in the last few months playing as a second ruck. Potentially Gards selection could impact his form as well. Silly, crazy selection.

falka
Club Player

Got smashed by swans in ruck and clearance.
So need to know whether Gardi is an option or not next week.

Yes we could get a home final, but the only definate is we are playing Sydney who dominated us in the ruck.

To the top
SS Life Member

Smith in the emergencies.

So one and a half out of 3.

We are getting seriously close to my preferences now.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Wait and see people.... wait and see....

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

To the top wrote:Smith in the emergencies.

So one and a half out of 3.

We are getting seriously close to my preferences now.
Smith must be very close - thought he may have come in for Armitage, in a like for like change....

Hold your ground :shock: