Selection conundrums

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Selection conundrums

Some things Lyon must be pondering.

1. Big Mac is not good enough against top ruckmen. So Gardi is tempting, but so slow.

2. Kosi is much more effective on the ball, but see 1.

3. Riewoldt needs another marking target alongside him, but see 2.

4. Blake is playing well, but doesn't have an obvious spot in the team.

5. Armo needs to come straight back in for team balance.

Discuss.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SaintTom
Club Player

Armo for Mac solves most of those. Just for one week.

Gards may be slow, but Mac isn't exactly a speedster. It's much of a muchness in that department. We need to break even in the pure ruck work, otherwise we're not going to have our hands on the ball enough to have Mac worthwhile.

I'm not saying Mac doesn't deserve a spot, but this week it's horses for courses. Following week Mac comes back in when there isn't someone there who is going to slaughter him in the ruck.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Hard to argue with that. It would also give him the freshening up he probably needs.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
karnaby
Club Player

I don't especially agree with it as I think it will leave us top heavy like last night but I reckon it might be Armo for Blake. Gardiner to bash mumford early and McEvoy to run off him later.......... possibly??

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Gardiner came in, showed that he can still handle the pace and get a kick. That's all we really needed from him and now I think he's insurance if we progress through the finals and McEvoy goes down. Note that our forward line functioned much better in the second half when Gards was subbed off and we weren't trying to cram Roo, Kosi and one of Gards/McEvoy in there at all times.

Of course there's the argument that he could again ruck for 75% of the first 70 minutes of game time and then be subbed off to allow a fresh McEvoy to run Mumford ragged, but if we were to get an injury then we've got a lumbering dinosaur dead on his feet for the rest of the match.

I think we should play it safe and just bring Armo in for Gards. But if anyone else is dropped from the team it should be Gram, who was again woeful on Saturday night.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i have thought about all the possible combinations and i can safely say i have no idea about selection this week. not surf which way he will go. I'm almost certain armo has to come go. and i don't think we should build a side just around mumford having a good game against us. but it's pretty obvious the coach lover the big mg unit. so i really have no idea.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Starting to think Mac for Armo might be a good choice, with Gardi staying in. Fisher was a waste on Goodes last time, I'd prefer Blake to at least start on him.

Saint_Ash
Club Player
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

Give Mac a crack!

Sure he got beaten by Mumford a couple of weeks ago, but he along with many others in the team were sick. Remember that Kosi pulled out leaving Mac as the sole genuine ruckman. It was probably the choice of pulling out Kosi or Mac as we couldn't afford to go in without 1 genuine ruckman.

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
busso mick
Club Player

Saint_Ash wrote:Give Mac a crack!

Sure he got beaten by Mumford a couple of weeks ago, but he along with many others in the team were sick. Remember that Kosi pulled out leaving Mac as the sole genuine ruckman. It was probably the choice of pulling out Kosi or Mac as we couldn't afford to go in without 1 genuine ruckman.
I agree Saint Ash, big Ben deserves another crack at Mumford. He will have learnt a lot from the game and with backup they can negate Mumford's input this week.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

busso mick wrote:

I agree Saint Ash, big Ben deserves another crack at Mumford. He will have learnt a lot from the game and with backup they can negate Mumford's input this week.
I've go no doubt Armo's coming in, Gardi will stay too...so who comes out if Mac stays in? RL always has a habit of surprising me with selections though...we'll probably end up with Ray coming out for Eddy!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It's obvious that Ross is planning something for Mumford. Also, as a diciple of Jeans, he understands the importance of that position.

In the 71 doco yesterday, Jeans said that the 5 GF he lost were all lost in the ruck. Ross is no flog.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Saint_Ash
Club Player
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

degruch wrote:
busso mick wrote:

I've go no doubt Armo's coming in, Gardi will stay too...so who comes out if Mac stays in? RL always has a habit of surprising me with selections though...we'll probably end up with Ray coming out for Eddy!
Raph....he is simply hopeless.

Before you all go off your tree I am joking. :lol:

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

On the smaller ground, it sounds like Armo for Macca to me, which would be very disappointing indeed for Macca. We could run with both on the MCG IMO.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I find it all very head f****** this week...

And I can't believe McEvoy, among our three best all year, suddenly finds himself in a pickle. It seems so wrong.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:I find it all very head f****** this week...

And I can't believe McEvoy, among our three best all year, suddenly finds himself in a pickle. It seems so wrong.
It appears that way, swear bear!

You know, I was thinking about it, reckon Dawson may be nervous too?

Reid is in some doubt, Goodes will have his own player running with him most of the day, who does Zac play on if we do play two rucks?

Not that he has done anything wrong, it's just going to be about matchups.

I'd hate to be the selection committee

Rosco
Club Player

can't see why we'd all of a sudden drop big mac - it's an elimination final, if we lose he'll be freshening up for 6 months...

and he's been our man in the ruck ALL year

and we've been pumping him up here all year

Rosco
Club Player

^ this

spert
Saintsational Legend

Quite frankly, regardless of Mumford dominating the ruck, we could have beaten the Swans a few weeks back except for a couple of late changes, and clearly a couple of players on field under the weather. We seem to be able to win against opposition who have winning rucks and 40 possession players, so no big worry under RLs game plan. All we really need is for our forward line to click as one unit, like the backline, then we will be in business in the finals.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:can't see why we'd all of a sudden drop big mac - it's an elimination final, if we lose he'll be freshening up for 6 months...

and he's been our man in the ruck ALL year

and we've been pumping him up here all year
Because we play Sydney...and history has shown that Steven Baker would probably have been more effective in the ruck against Mumford. That's just the way it was, not saying it will be again, but do you compromise the team by leaving him in, or compromise the team by backing him up? Maybe K has a point re: Zac...he'd be a match-up for White, but was White even playing last time? If so, he couldn't have done much.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

Reid is in some doubt, Goodes will have his own player running with him most of the day, who does Zac play on if we do play two rucks?

I am a little potty mouthed today.

f****** finals...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

I agree about Dawson: he would be at some risk, although I doubt he's closest to the edge of the cliff. I would think McEvoy and Blake are ahead of him. And Armo isn't a dead cert to come back in, either: Ross's idea of team balance is not necessarily the same as mine.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Go Sainters Go
Club Player

The only change this week v Swans will be Geary out and Armo in.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
older saint
SS Life Member

MAc must play, Gardi and mac and Kosi can hurt Mumford going the other way.

Will probably look at Armo for Geary the obvious choice although may need his speed for a Rohan type player. Polo earnt his spot and Steven although inconsistant has also but could be at risk.

Smashed at clearances last time with a half sick team , look for stronger work in that area. May see Gilbert on Goodes in the middle also.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
SainterK wrote:

I am a little potty mouthed today.

f****** finals...
Finals is what it's all about.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:

^ this
I third this statement.

Personally, if I was making the call I would bring in Armo for Geary. Pretty much like for like.

Ray stays sub as when he came on the game swung our way. Farren is teh perfect 3rd quarter sub. Quick with goo ball use and can give us an edge when the game is in the balance or there to be won.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum