Plunge on Lyon to coach Dee's.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

dragit wrote:File next to…
"Past hero Luke Ball turned traitor scum of the earth"

Walking out on the club with a year to go would be disgraceful and I just don't see him doing it, he's a smart bloke and there will be another coaching gig for him after the Saints whenever that will be…

He should speak to Plough about walking out on a club for money…
I agree.

Melbourne can have all of its young players to take into the future, but the rest of the club is a shambles and Ross with his background in HR wouldn't be looking at Melbourne FC as a whole and he would take one step back and say "I'm staying with St Kilda, brand new training facilities, a stable board and a playing group who plays for me and this club"

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Come on Rossy, you said it: "Unfinished Business"

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

I have a suspicion he is gone.

What else is he going to tell the players at this point in time? A 5 year deal v a 2 year deal.

And then his 'reflection' on his and the group's achievements at his presser.

A man looking in the rear view mirror is not a man looking forward.

Sorry, but it all points to him leaving.

Unless he doesn't.....

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:I have a suspicion he is gone.

What else is he going to tell the players at this point in time? A 5 year deal v a 2 year deal.

Unless he doesn't.....
But there's no proof of the "2 year deal", or of the "5 year deal" for that matter.

So, IMO, there's nothing pointing to anything at the moment.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Unless he doesn't.....
I reckon he'd be on a hiding to nothing over there... they seem to be a rabble from front to back, and will possibly be losing their number 1 draft pick.

Ross has shown he's a conservative cat, and always prefers the the devil he knows.... but he's also a very shrewd cat, and you wouldn't want to play poker against him, so he'll rightly leverage this for all it's worth.

He's staying.

Unless he's not.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

Unless he doesn't.....
But there's no proof of the "2 year deal", or of the "5 year deal" for that matter.

So, IMO, there's nothing pointing to anything at the moment.
Speculation is pointing to something. Word on the street. Rumour and in your endo. It's all pointing to something.

Unless it's not....

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Unless he doesn't.....
A 5 year offer doesn't seem like a plus to me, I'm not sure many (if any) coaches would actually want to lock themselves into a club for 5 years? If the Saints offered 2 years at better money, it would most likely be preferrable.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ten days ago i was 100% in my mind he would stay and get us to another couple of finals series and have ANOTHER crack at some flags

now im not sure
i didnt like that press conf, where he mentioned the looking back thing over the history
hopefully tony74 got a true honest answer when he spoke to ross at that training session
cant see anything getting mentioned or any decision coming public until after finals
we need to have a red hot dip, beat syd, beat either hawks/cats to show we still have it and the next few years are looking up

but
im still worried

degruch
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:i didnt like that press conf, where he mentioned the looking back thing over the history
hopefully tony74 got a true honest answer when he spoke to ross at that training session
I didn't like it, until he suggested it could be Andrew Ireland creating a distraction. :lol: He's sharp.

No offense to 'tony74', but I doubt a coach is going to divulge his personal situation to a club member for possible regurgitation to all and sundry.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

agreed my sa friend

but lets hope he did
guess we'll have to wait till after the GF 8-)

dragit
Saintsational Legend

or not

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:

Unless he doesn't.....
A 5 year offer doesn't seem like a plus to me, I'm not sure many (if any) coaches would actually want to lock themselves into a club for 5 years? If the Saints offered 2 years at better money, it would most likely be preferrable.
I would've thought a career coach would want the security of a 5 year contract.

I would also think the challenge of bringing a team up from the bottom, a team as famous as Melbourne, could be a lure.

The alternative argument is that he also still has that challenge at St Kilda.

I hope he stays. But I have a bad feeling.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Imo it is a smoke screen the club is happy to have.

This has taken the media focus off Rooey's knee.

It hasn't effected the way we're playing.

And as far as Gary Lyon and Melbourne are concerned they can go and court MM while everyone is focussing on Lyon.

And are Melbourne that much richer than us? I'd be surprised if we can't match their offer if we want to keep him.

The players seem to think he's staying, I think we're happy for the media to talk about stuff that we know is not true...Lyon's taking one for the team.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
degruch wrote:

Unless he doesn't.....

I would also think the challenge of bringing a team up from the bottom, a team as famous as Melbourne, could be a lure.

It could be a lure, but being stuck at a perennial cot-case like Melbourne for 5 years would (a) not be much fun, and (b) potentially career limiting.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
degruch wrote:

Unless he doesn't.....

It could be a lure, but being stuck at a perennial cot-case like Melbourne for 5 years would (a) not be much fun, and (b) potentially career limiting.
Unless you turn that cot-case around....

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:Imo it is a smoke screen the club is happy to have.

This has taken the media focus off Rooey's knee.

It hasn't effected the way we're playing.

And as far as Gary Lyon and Melbourne are concerned they can go and court MM while everyone is focussing on Lyon.

And are Melbourne that much richer than us? I'd be surprised if we can't match their offer if we want to keep him.

The players seem to think he's staying, I think we're happy for the media to talk about stuff that we know is not true...Lyon's taking one for the team.
I bet the ALP would love some speculation of the Leader departing so they could take some media focus off other things.

Hang on a minute.....

degruch
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
degruch wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
degruch wrote:

Unless he doesn't.....

Unless you turn that cot-case around....
I know what you're saying. If he thinks he can, maybe he has a messiah complex (e.g. Malcolm Blight), in which case we wouldn't want him. :lol:

RL took a top 8 team and made it a genuine Premiership contender, the loser mentality of the past had gone, and there was a core of young players dedicated to sticking it out long term. Melbourne are lower half of the ladder, retain their 50 year old loser mentality, have a fragile leadership group and a bunch of kids looking over their shoulder for GWS. Add to that, they put their last coach to the sword over years of systematic draft rorting, I'm not sure their heirachy aren't a bunch of sharks...it would be a major task.

SteveStevens66
Club Player

For what it's worth, and it might not be much, Nettlefold was on SEN with KB this morning. He was asked if Ross would be staying with the Saints and he replied "We hope so." KB said that was a remarkable response, one that indicated that there might be some truth to the rumours. Nettlefold rushed to clarify his remarks, saying, among things, that it would be dealt with after the finals.

Carna Saints!!!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

SteveStevens66 wrote:For what it's worth, and it might not be much, Nettlefold was on SEN with KB this morning. He was asked if Ross would be staying with the Saints and he replied "We hope so." KB said that was a remarkable response, one that indicated that there might be some truth to the rumours. Nettlefold rushed to clarify his remarks, saying, among things, that it would be dealt with after the finals.
Let's face it, it's not hard to read anything you like into the comments of the past week.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

I'll ask him today ok. He wouldn't lie to me would he?

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

SteveStevens66 wrote:For what it's worth, and it might not be much, Nettlefold was on SEN with KB this morning. He was asked if Ross would be staying with the Saints and he replied "We hope so." KB said that was a remarkable response, one that indicated that there might be some truth to the rumours. Nettlefold rushed to clarify his remarks, saying, among things, that it would be dealt with after the finals.
If I were one of the people who think we're cactus if Ross leaves, I would find Nettlefold's comment quite unsettling.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
PLUGGER14
Club Player

He's contracted for 2012 so if he is an honourable fella (which I believe he is) what is there to be dealt with at this time.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

In these types of scenarios, you'd damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

No matter they say, people will interpret it anyway they like. In this case, people will interpret anything that is said by either party as 'those loser Saints lose a good person as usual'.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:

No matter they say, people will interpret it anyway they like. In this case, people will interpret anything that is said by either party as 'those loser Saints lose a good person as usual'.
As I intimated on the other thread, Nettlefold could have tried saying something like "the club is 100% committed to Saturday's game against the Swans and none of us, including Ross, will have any time to think about - let alone talk about - his contract: which, in any case, is until the end of 2012." I don't know wny he didn't say that: I certainly would have done.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
degruch
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

As I intimated on the other thread, Nettlefold could have tried saying something like "the club is 100% committed to Saturday's game against the Swans and none of us, including Ross, will have any time to think about - let alone talk about - his contract: which, in any case, is until the end of 2012." I don't know wny he didn't say that: I certainly would have done.
Sounds like you have a job as a political advisor waiting...give Julia a buzz. Not everyone is as savvy.