Captaincy 2012

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Captaincy 2012

bigcarl wrote:
Spinner wrote:So all of Riewoldts accolades. 5 B&F's, 4 AA, everything.... was due to him not holding the captaincy.

And his one form slump is due to holding the captaincy.

So you still think Lenny would be a good choice given he is 32 and recovering from a full knee reconstruction. 12 months out of the game.
Like I said, I think it's got on top of him and he should be allowed now to concentrate on getting back to playing good football.

Lenny might be okay for a final crack at a flag in 2012 ... or perhaps we look longer term and give it to Goddard ... or even longer term and give it to McEvoy.

But I'd definitely take it off Riewoldt. He's had a good run at it. Nothing's for ever and he's looking like a burn-out case.

His body language is terrible and he struggles to win contests he would have eaten in previous years.

So you have no solution.

Yep give it to McEvoy. Off half a decent season.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Spinner wrote:So all of Riewoldts accolades. 5 B&F's, 4 AA, everything.... was due to him not holding the captaincy.

And his one form slump is due to holding the captaincy.

So you still think Lenny would be a good choice given he is 32 and recovering from a full knee reconstruction. 12 months out of the game.
Like I said, I think it's got on top of him and he should be allowed now to concentrate on getting back to playing good football.

Lenny might be okay for a final crack at a flag in 2012 ... or perhaps we look longer term and give it to Goddard ... or even longer term and give it to McEvoy.

But I'd definitely take it off Riewoldt. He's had a good run at it. Nothing's for ever and he's looking like a burn-out case.

His body language is terrible and he struggles to win contests he would have eaten in previous years.

So you have no solution.
I said I'd give it to Lenny for a final crack at a flag in 2012. He's a born leader and has the mental strength to handle it.

But there are other good candidates.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Spinner, i agree with you...or do you agree with me??

Anyway, your absolutely right......

If i had to choose another captain....which i wouldnt
It would be bj which would the add more pressure to him....

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Well with all our good players going to GWS, and all the others being delisted, I'm stuffed if I know who we can make captain :?

PJ
SS Life Member

I think at this point who's captain is the last of our worries.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:I think at this point who's captain is the last of our worries.
It might be the first of our worries though..... :D

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Fisher?

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Rooey's the captain.

(i argued for lenny / let roo be the franchise player)
but , NOW ,
Rooeys the designated leader.
and deserves next season to prove he is still the Captain.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Saints Angel
Club Player

[quote="BigMart"]The captaincy of the side.....is possibly our least important issue

Game plan, disposal, structure, ball movement and run.....are more concerning

Btw....did you see roo clash with mattner......act of a true leader....[/quote

More important things to work on than who is captain.

groupie1
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
kalsaint wrote:
BigMart wrote:So, if we had a different skipper tonight.....we would have done better??

The role is relevent.....but not critical

Maybe luke ball who kicks winning goals in finals, can take over

Leaadership and the key leader are critical to the sides ability to win games from bad situations. We havent had the influence seen in past years by Roo, Leeny (due to his absence) and Goddard (tagged a bit this year and didnt like it).

My choice is Lenny. His selfless acts on the field and direction is what the club needs.

Roo is a great leader to and should definitelty have influence but the midfield now needs the inspiration like in other top 8 clubs.

Memo. Lenny will be 32 next year coming off a knee reconstruction.
It's an entirely valid point, and we all remember the previous first-year-back from Lenny he was far from at his best. BUT, an optimist might point out the following:

- There was a bloke a few years ago wearing number 35 coming back from two knee reconstructions and a broken leg at 32 who everyone wrote off... what was his name again?
- Lenny has returned from a knee reconstruction and played better footy since than before
- Lenny is not quick. He just might be the next R Harvey and go on for another 4 years

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Stability is needed. Rooey is the man.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Loyally Numbed
Club Player

I think Rooey should be Captain, provided he can get back to 100 percent fitness.

This, to me seems to be the problem, Rooey provides exceptional leadership through the WAY he plays, as we have all seen.

This year, his knees, or whatever have not allowed him to do that, and the situation is compounded by seeing him become frustrated.

So we have a Captain who is not playing as well as he thinks he should be and is demonstrating some less than ideal behaviors because of it.

Maybe Rooey's attributes as a champion Player, and human being, are working against him, as surely, lesser players would not even take the field with the injuries he has had to endure.

To me, some hard and honest decisions have to be made by the administration on this issue, if Rooey's injuries are here to stay, I think that someone else should be appointed Captain to take the pressure off Rooey and allow him to work his way into becoming a capable contributor to the team, without the expectations of performance that he puts on himself as Captain.

I don't think that maintaining the current situation into next season will be productive.

I think it would be fitting to make Lenny the Captain in his last couple of seasons for the club, if Rooey can't come up to the level that he needs to.

defacto
Club Player

roo needs the weight of his shoulders. we also need an image change at the club.

with hayes going into the media this year and roo with drawing from it compared to previous years. i'd say hayes will be captain. goddard vice captain.

groupie1
Club Player

defacto wrote:roo needs the weight of his shoulders. we also need an image change at the club.

with hayes going into the media this year and roo with drawing from it compared to previous years. i'd say hayes will be captain. goddard vice captain.
There is a Robert Walls-isation in all this. Someone kicks a good goal one wee and in RW's eyes, 'he's a great goalkicker.'

Roo gets a whack in the knee; it's sore, and suddenly we're all talking about his knee's been bad all year. Like it's a fact suddenly, that we all know about.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Taking the captaincy off Rooey would be a public humiliation. He's had enough of them.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

We really do have pathetic supporters. I suppose every club does but do most clubs picke their captain weekly like we do. Is it Dal this week and then Chips ot BJ. Pathetic all of you. Yes you.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Ridiculous post....and suggestion also
why big mart ? I'm aware of roos injuries and family issue but i think that is missing the point. he is not in our top 5 players. that's just a fact. his game is limited and he is not and never will be the player he once was. you might as well have Darrel baldock skipper. after 2 knees lendog is also well passed his prime. people expecting him to return as a champ are just dreaming. dal should be skipper with bj vice.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
BigMart wrote:Ridiculous post....and suggestion also
why big mart ? I'm aware of roos injuries and family issue but i think that is missing the point. he is not in our top 5 players. that's just a fact. his game is limited and he is not and never will be the player he once was. you might as well have Darrel baldock skipper. after 2 knees lendog is also well passed his prime. people expecting him to return as a champ are just dreaming. dal should be skipper with bj vice.
How good were the Last geelong and magpies captain?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Hang on

I thought dal was a lzy soft reciever.....or was that before

And i thought roo was a 5 time club champion....or was that before

And exactly how does the title of captain make any difference at all....when going at the ball, it is not even a consideration.....if someone needs that title to give their best, they are not a leader

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

It would be nice to have someone suitable for the skippers role....but I don't see a logical replacement. Bj maybe,but is probably to angry.

Lenny should have got the job four years ago like the players wanted...to late now. Roo has had a crack at 3 grand finals and failed miserably. A fresh start would be nice,but I can't see any logical futuristic replacements

Bring back the Lockett era
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
He's a born leader and has the mental strength to handle it.
Fully agree with what you said about Lenny and I believe they apply more to Lenny than they do to Nick, not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just that Roo crumbles too many times under intense pressure and it would just deflate the side something shocking. As great as the other things he brings to the table are, that's the last thing you want from your "captain".

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

dcstkfc wrote:Taking the captaincy off Rooey would be a public humiliation. He's had enough of them.
You're right. We should pick the captain based on what it would do to someone's ego. As I've said to those who've said things like that about him before, if you don't think he's mentally strong enough to be able to handle losing the captaincy, how the f*** is he mentally strong enough to be able to lead us to a premiership?

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
groupie1
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:Taking the captaincy off Rooey would be a public humiliation. He's had enough of them.
You're right. We should pick the captain based on what it would do to someone's ego. As I've said to those who've said things like that about him before, if you don't think he's mentally strong enough to be able to handle losing the captaincy, how the f*** is he mentally strong enough to be able to lead us to a premiership?
That is a beautifully circular argument and one that is impossible to argue with. I guess it can only mean Reiwoldt will be STK captain until we win a premiership, no matter if he's still on the list or not.

Loyally Numbed
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:We really do have pathetic supporters. I suppose every club does but do most clubs picke their captain weekly like we do. Is it Dal this week and then Chips ot BJ. Pathetic all of you. Yes you.
We just finished the season in 6th place and were easily punted out by the team that finished 7th.

Yes, let's just leave everything as it is, for fear that it is being a "pathetic supporter", if you would like changes made.

You may have to come to terms with the fact that Rooey may have degenerative knee issues that will not allow him to reach the heights that he has risen to in the past, if this is the case, I would rather have his role changed to give him every opportunity to contribute to the side rather than, trying unsuccessfully to play a key position, leading the team, with all the pressure and expectations that, that imposes on him.

Would you rather he plays out his career with dignity and satisfaction or break down prematurely trying too hard to reach unobtainable physical heights?

Loyally Numbed
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:We really do have pathetic supporters. I suppose every club does but do most clubs picke their captain weekly like we do. Is it Dal this week and then Chips ot BJ. Pathetic all of you. Yes you.
We just finished the season in 6th place and were easily punted out by the team that finished 7th.

Yes, let's just leave everything as it is, for fear that it is being a "pathetic supporter", if you would like changes made.

You may have to come to terms with the fact that Rooey may have degenerative knee issues that will not allow him to reach the heights that he has risen to in the past, if this is the case, I would rather have his role changed to give him every opportunity to contribute to the side rather than, trying unsuccessfully to play a key position, leading the team, with all the pressure and expectations that, that imposes on him.

Would you rather he plays out his career with dignity and satisfaction or break down prematurely trying too hard to reach unobtainable physical heights?